Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can Kindle Read PDF files?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2008 1:32:41 PM PST
P. Bernier says:
Can Kindle read PDF Adobe reader files? If not can we convert them to be read on the Kindle? Any info would be appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 1:47:00 PM PST
C. Budgen says:
Q: When can we read PDFs, please?
A: PDF document conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle. Each Kindle has a unique e-mail address, allowing you and your contacts to send PDF attachments for conversion into a Kindle compatible format. For more information on personal document conversion, visit our help pages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200140600

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 2:09:56 PM PST
David Levine says:
I have been downloading PDF files from http://www.wowio.com and converting with mobipocket creator without problem
I think PDFs that are mostly ext will convert fine, ones that are mostly images or have complex formatting will have more an issue

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 4:42:32 PM PST
Grinznmore says:
Where is the mobipocket creator?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 5:39:03 PM PST
The Plothole says:
Mobipocket.com.

Oh, the Mobipocket reader software will convert as well (when you import)... you just have less control over the process.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 3:56:45 AM PST
P. Bernier says:
FYI I was able to download the entire Potter collection and the entire Lord Of The Rings collection in PDF files with absolutely no problems. No formatting problems at all, I just sent an email with the PDF file attached to my Kindle email and that's it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 3:18:44 PM PST
I have sent several PDF files to my free.kindle.com address and they convert just fine. Not perfect, but adequate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2008 4:56:52 AM PDT
I have a whole library of scientific papers I would love to transport inside Kindle, but they are full of graphs, pie charts, bar graphs, pictures of cells and etc... would it be possible to create a readable version of these files in kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2008 5:32:09 AM PDT
TCQ says:
I sent a PDF of a recent US Supreme Court decision to my Kindle. I am highlighting and making notes as I read. Is there a way to convert the "marked-up" document back into a PDF?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2008 4:29:57 PM PDT
Every time I try to send a pdf for conversion I get an email saying that it's pdf and therefore not a convertible format. Other things convert fine. How did you get them to do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 11:55:21 AM PDT
Nigel says:
Funny, I have been using kindlefree to convert on a regular basis. My pdfs end with the .pdf suffix. I am doing it from a Mac. Make sure that you don't have that weird Adobe .frw or something (can't remember) suffix. If you do, just change it to .pdf.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 5:38:52 PM PDT
I'm sorry -- what's kindlefree?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 9:18:24 PM PDT
Well kindlefree is really cool. All you have to do is attach any file you want to put on your kindle and type in the email address to your kindle but add free after kindle. All the info is in a box on the manage your kindle section. You just have to upload it yourself but its free so why not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2008 9:33:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2008 9:33:47 PM PDT
Deb says:
yourkindlename@free.kindle.com

As Michael M. says you mail the attachment to the above address (with the correct Kindle name) using one of your approved email addresses. The converted attachment will be emailed back to you so you can transfer it to the Kindle via the USB cable. It's free because you are not using Whispernet to deliver the converted file to your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2008 6:21:09 AM PDT
The inability of the Kindle to easily read PDF files is a serious shortcoming. There is a growing number of publications in PDF format and the PDF is used by Library of Congress for digitizing rare books. It appears that the PDF is here to stay. I hope that the future Kindle will be able to handle it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2008 9:28:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2008 9:55:42 AM PDT
John Newton says:
While there are many files in PDF format it's not a proper format to use when the display shape and size is unknown or variable as it is a fixed format not a reflowable format. It's simply the wrong tool for the job in those cases. It's like using a Honda Civic to run a moving company. Sure you can make it kind of work but it will never work well.

All tools have limitations. When you try to use a tool beyond those limitations you have to expect compromises. If you have a large detailed graphic that is intended to be printed out on a 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper it simply will not display well on a 6 inch screen. The best you could do would be to add zoom and scroll features. Not something the slow refresh rate of an eInk screen will ever do well.

Given that, what will work well on an ereader with a 6 inch eInk screen? Text. Text is actually fantastic. When you need to use a document with a lot of graphic material expect compromises. To expect anything else is just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

How difficult is it to use PDF on a Kindle? It's as difficult as sending an email and/or copying a file on your computer. For some that will be difficult but for most it's pretty easy.

If you have to use a lot of PDF files designed for 8.5 x 11 inch output your best bet for an ereader right now is the Irex Iliad. It has a larger screen than the Kindle or Sony and will display PDFs in landscape mode.

As to the future hopefully the ebook industry will adopt a reflowable file format standard (Adobe and others are currently using one called ePub) so that not only will files be useable on devices with various screen sizes and shapes but the same file will be useable on devices from all makers. So please be carefull what you ask for. Asking for better PDF support on ereaders would be like asking Honda to make the Civic a better furniture mover when what you really need is a large truck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 12:14:51 PM PDT
I just downloaded and then tried MibiPocket Creator v4.2. I haven't been able to successfully get the software to even open a pdf in order to convert it. Help?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 1:13:30 PM PDT
Bigsby_guy says:
Yeah. What john Newton said. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 1:16:11 PM PDT
Bigsby_guy says:
The only reasonably satisfactory way I've found to convert PDF files to read on the Kindle is by using Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, but the full version that creates PDF files). Fortunately, I have an (old) copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 2:26:48 PM PDT
I've been putting PDFs on my Kindle for 3 months now with minimal problems. The PDF files are displayed sideways--so that if you have a standard 8x10 page you will get 1/2 on a kindle page, but you must turn it sideways to read it. Most of the PDFs I read are journal articles or scans of book chapters. If the scans were done poorly (lots of white space, not cropped correctly, or two book pages scanned into 1 page) then they are difficult or unreadable. Many of my PDFs have charts or other graphics. On one I had a full page chart that wasn't split into two pages (better so it could be viewed as a whole).

I've been emailing to myname@kindle.com, not using the free address, but I have not been charged for any of the PDFs that I've sent myself. I've never gotten any messages like the poster who said that he was told that PDFs were not an acceptable format. I've also never used mobi-pocket conversion like some people have suggested.

Overall I would give the PDF conversion 4/5 stars. Usually it works fine, but sometimes there are glitches.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 8:07:14 PM PST
Mark Riley says:
Can long pdf's be converted? I would like to be able to carry some of my reference books around. Ine is about 130 megs (A Copious and Critical English Latin Lexicon, for those who are curious). This old book was downloaded from Googlebooks. Might this work?
M Riley

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 8:18:03 PM PST
Most Google books are images of pages, and will not convert well. However, most Google books are public domain, so a text version may be available somewhere that you can convert for a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 5:48:24 AM PST
cap61801 says:
P. Bernier says:
FYI I was able to download the entire Potter collection and the entire Lord Of The Rings collection in PDF files with absolutely no problems. No formatting problems at all, I just sent an email with the PDF file attached to my Kindle email and that's it!

Where did you find those documents?

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 10:19:19 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 6, 2009 8:18:27 PM PDT
James says:
Why am I paying $489 for a device that can't read a PDF? I can buy a mini PC for $300. Not seeing the value of the Kindle. If it were $99 I could accept it's PDF shortcomings.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (8,008)