Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Can Relax! A Relaxation CD for Children
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 9, 2009
I purchased this CD for my son who gets very anxious about a number of things. He really enjoys the CD and feels it helps him relax, but he feels it is better suited for the daytime as it asks the listener to do lots of movements (to relax different body parts). These movements don't allow him to relax for sleep right away, so we use a different CD for bedtime. We do recommend this CD, however, as a good means of teaching anxious children, or anyone, how to relax their bodies and minds.
on June 1, 2011
This CD is worth the cost. It's reassuring, relaxing and almost hypnotic. The narrator's voice is so warm and friendly and assuring. I play it for my 8-year-old daughter every night at bedtime. Sometimes I stay in her room and listen to it, too, and it never fails to put me into such a deep state of relaxation that I usually fall asleep before it's over! We tried a Lori Lite CD, thinking it would be similar, but ended up returning it because it was a very different tone and style than "I Can Relax!" Lori Lite seemed more New Age-y and the narration was almost haunting. "I Can Relax!" is more cheerful and pleasant, in my opinion.
on February 26, 2008
The CD took several weeks to get to me but they threw in another useful item for me because I was upset about how long it was taking to ship (they were backordered). I am a Behavioral Interventionist and use this with my anxious client and we both love it! It's fun and really teaches kids how to relax and recognize that they are tense.
on September 28, 2012
This is a CD to really help families practice relaxation. These are clinically sound relaxation exercises presented in a useful and kid-friendly manner. This can be enjoyed over and over again by families (in the car or at home) or by kids alone, on an iPod or in bed at night (we still have an old-fashioned "boom box" for our youngest to control the CDs. This is much more practical than mom telling kids to "relax" or even trying to walk them through it -- my kids get wound up just being around me, always ask for one more thing or get distracted -- probably picking up on my stress themselves! This CD is the answer. Dr. Pincus has given us a real gift -- childhood anxiety is a real thing (even though children's problems can seem small to adults) and kids need skills to cope and "space" in their lives that respects this.

1 Instructions
9 Taking a Nap
10 The Strong, Tall Tree
11 I Can Relax!
on September 11, 2012
I bought this CD for my son, who is 10 years old who has anxiety. We went through a whole summer of horrible bedtimes. He was up several times, asking me to sleep with me, and he just couldn't calm his mind. From the time he went into his bed until when he actually fell asleep, it was an hour and a half. It was like having a toddler at bedtime again! The first night I played this CD, he was asleep within 20 minutes (right after the CD stopped playing)! I think my son just has a brain that has a hard time turning off at night time and this really helped him to soothe and calm himself and he is much happier during the daytime too! Last night I asked him if he wanted his "relaxation CD" or his music (IPod). He said music, so I thought, "Why not....maybe he will be able to soothe himself now." After about 15 minutes, he asked me for the relaxation CD and he was asleep immediately following the CD. Hallelujah!!!! Just in time for the beginning of school, too!!
on February 15, 2013
We purchased this CD for our 8 year old daughter who suffers from anxiety and OCD thoughts. Her counselor recommended she do deep breathing for 10 minutes three times a day. This CD allows her to do it in a fun, safe, relaxing way. A calm, friendly female narrates different scenes. Your child can do all the CD or just one or two scenario at a time. It includes different techniques that help your child relax from breathing to progressive relaxation. I would definitely recommend this relation CD and enjoy doing it with her!
on November 30, 2009
I was a bit skeptical when someone suggested this CD to help with anxiety, but I know am a true believer that relaxation techniques such as listening to this CD three times a week can lower childrens' anxiety prior to test taking. They somehow are able to deal with the test better.
on September 20, 2013
It's really simple...but it's a great way to get my daughter to relax and be calm before bed or if she's having anxiety. She was recently diagnosed with panic disorder (really sad since she's only 8!) and night time has become a source of stress for all of us. Starting over the summer she recently has decided her room is not safe and she doesn't like her bed. She was coming out and waking everyone in the house up.We tried everything under the sun to get her to stay in her room (new bedding, new night light, putting a tv in there so she could watch cartoons, letting her leave all the lights on, walkie-talkies so she had access to us, etc). Nothing worked. She fights sleep, wanders around the house, comes and sleeps on our floor in our room. It's not a good thing for anyone. She is still not sleeping in her bed again (yet) but she is now staying in her room and going to sleep (on the floor in the doorway) but hey it's baby steps. She's relaxing and feeling stress free-ish at bedtime which has helped everyone. We're hoping to get her back in her bed but she's only been doing this a little over a week so I think the progress is amazing.
on August 28, 2013
Usually I'm not allowed to leave their room if they are still awake (before going to sleep) but tonight we listened to the CD together and I kissed them good night and it was la-la land for them. Thank you!
on May 26, 2014
My just 3 year old is a sleep fighter. He will lay tossing and turning in his bed for hours fighting sleep and inventing every excuse as a ploy to extend bedtime. He is the type of child who needs some activity before bed (rubs his hand along the bed rails, kicks his feet) I'm a Children's therapist and have used progressive relaxation techniques with him before. He liked it, but I wanted a way to remove his dependence on me for falling asleep, and this CD seems to be it for us.
This is a really cute CD that has a very child friendly approach to teaching progressive muscle relaxation. Each of the stories focuses on relaxing a different part of the body: hands - squeezing lemons to make lemonade, tummy - sucking in to squeeze between trees, shoulders - turtle pulling into it's shell, face scrunching to shoo a fly off your nose.
I was worried this was going to be to active for a bedtime routine, but my 3 year old asks for it every night. He loves doing the exercise and amazingly as awake as he seems through the last story, he takes those final 5 breathes instructed at the end and just falls asleep! It did take him a week or two of doing this CD to get past the excitement of it and really learn how to do it - mommy helped him learn how to really move his muscles and hold tight the first couple of nights.
This CD has significantly reduced our bedtime battles!!!
* I also have the Indigo Dreams relaxation CD for him. I personally prefer this - they are stories of guided imagery followed by soothing music. My son personally needs something more active, so not for him right now, but I would recommend this for a parent looking for a less active relaxation bedtime cd.