Customer Discussions > The New Yorker forum

Can a print subscription be converted to a Kindle subscription?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2009 9:12:36 AM PDT
D. McInnis says:
I'm just thinking that the New Yorker could save a bundle if it allowed people with print subscriptions simply and freely convert to a Kindle subscription. (so the user would no longer receive the print version)

Has anyone found this possible yet??

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 7:33:07 AM PDT
I am wondering the same thing about the NYTimes

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2009 6:22:32 PM PDT
TampaDan says:
I am also about the wall street journal....can I convert my print subscription to a kindle edition?
Dan Campbell

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 6:11:43 PM PDT
John King says:
A program found at http://www.lexcycle.com/ can convert any pdf, lit, txt, or word document to Kindle format. I use it to convert files for my Ipod Touch and it works very nicely. Give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 1:47:14 AM PDT
TampaDan says:
Thanks....I'll give it a try.

Posted on May 17, 2009 2:49:40 PM PDT
Having entered my subscription for The New Yorker, I read through all the comments ("reviews"). They evoked the following four responses:

1-For the foreseeable future, nothing will replace the print edition in its totality, including graphics, photographs, color illustrations and cartoons, etc. But the Kindle offers the best reading experience -- with adjustable type size, and the availability of dictionary and notes.

2-I am continually amazed at Amazon's reluctance to point out some basic features of its products. For example, if you click a second time on the cover image it will fill the entire screen; if you click on a cartoon image (presented in portrait mode), you will get a larger landscape version. I wonder what else I could be doing that I don't know about yet.

3-There is an unbelievably haphazard tone to the operation. Early on (as others noted), some articles were missing. In the current issue (my first one) the title of one of the "Briefly Noted" books is missing(The Song Is You, by Arthur Phillips). This is just sloppiness and does not speak well of the professionalism that I would expect Amazon to bring to this endeavor. It would never happen in the print edition.

4-I already subscribe to the print edition, for which I paid I believe about $28, and that includes access to the online edition (full-color replica in two-page format), as well as access the entire magazine archive. But the online edition is awkward to read; you have to keep switching back and forth between the regular and the magnified image in order to progress through the text. And of course you are reading it on a computer screen. The Kindle edition, at $2.99 per month, adds another $36, bringing the total to $64 a year -- a bit steep, but little more than a dollar per issue.

A final note. I read more of my Kindle edition than I can ever remember reading of the print edition.

Posted on May 19, 2009 9:47:26 PM PDT
Benjamin Yeh says:
Anthony, thanks for the 2nd point -- it really works, to enlarge the picture!!
I live in Taiwan and the Kindle version is such a blessing and bargain for a New Yorker fan overseas!!

Posted on May 25, 2009 7:04:47 AM PDT
how are you getting it downloaded benjamin, throughy your computer or their whispernet?
can you get book delivery in taiwan? i tried in denmark and 'nothing'; i guess i'd have to first put it on my computer then transfer it to the kindle.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 8:25:20 AM PST
I receive close to a dozen magazines and newspapers today and would really love a way to convert those subscriptions from print to online/kindle. I don't want to pay 2x for the same content, and really want to understand how I could do this for -- Wall St Journal, Fortune, Forbes, Business Week, New York, GQ, and handful of others.

Posted on Jan 26, 2010 4:41:49 PM PST
Bill says:
$36 p/year additional for Kindle? I don't want to cancel my print subscription, I'd like the Kindle added for free or else a reasonable annual rate of 10 or 15 dollars. What a disappointment!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2010 3:45:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2010 3:51:28 PM PST
I don't think Kindle would go for this. The New Yorker has various subscription prices, plus the arrangement would have to accommodate how far into the subscription the individual reader is: just starting, halfway through almost finished. The price would be different for each. It's just too much paperwork,

As for translating the Kindle version into something more readable (as suggested by John King on April 17), I don't think Kindle uses a kind of file for The New Yorker that would accommodate this conversion. For one thing, the transposed files use color, whereas the Kindle file is all black and white. Also this transfer is for an iPhone compatible device, which is different from the Kindle.

Back in May, I mentioned that I have worked out what for me is the best of both worlds: an inexpensive subscription to the print edition and a regularly priced one to the Kindle. The print edition was a special price, I believe $26, which apparently is no longer available. But the digital edition, the one that comes free with the print subscription, is an exact replica of the magazine; you simply click on the outside edges and it turns the pages. You can see this in action by signing up for a free 4 week subscription to The New Yorker "digital edition" (http://archives.newyorker.com/skins/realview/tny/register.asp?pub=The%20New%20Yorker). But this digital edition continues to have a readability problem not present in the Kindle or print editions: it does not show a single page in one screen, but requires that you drag through the page or alternate between the default size (too small to read) and the enlarged size (readable but segmented text). Nonetheless, it's a great way to page through the magazine and get a sense of the visual components before turning to the easier reading available on the Kindle.

Nor is the price all that prohibitive. The Kindle version, at $36 a year ($2.99 per month, which can be automatically billed monthly to a credit card), plus either $39.95 for a one-year print subscription (47 issues) or $69.95 for a two-year (94 issues) subscription. So-- if my math is correct -- you're looking roughly at a per-issue cost of either $1.18 (2 years) or $1.20 (1 year). Not really a bad deal.

Another option is to stay with the Kindle version and subscribe to the free online edition of The New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/). True, it does not contain the full text of all the articles, but it does have the full-color artwork, and the cover, plus a number of features just available in the online edition -- blogs, conversing with the author, etc. Furthermore, if you use it with the "Readability" browser add-on (http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/) you can do away with a lot of distracting side material.

I should add that Kindle, though it retains some of its less appealing features -- monocolor, single typeface and format, and occasional discrepancies with the print issue -- has come a long way in its reproduction of the print version of The New Yorker. It still lacks the pleasure of actually holding a physical magazine in your hands, of discovering the cartoons as you page through (Kindle groups them all at the back) and a lot of jumping around to reach the next article you want to read.

Finally -- and I just asked them about this -- Amazon does not have -- nor do they foresee having -- a way of storing your subscriptions in the library it keeps in its memory of everything you have obtained from them, which you can then view in its original print form and re-download in its Kindle form.

Now, here is the Kindle's greatest advantage over the print copy. You don't ever have to agonize over whether you should recycle it or not when you're finished reading it -- especially the covers. ! Instead of piling up in your living room, all the back issues stayed neatly stored in Kindle's memory. And they are even searchable.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 6:08:42 AM PDT
I took the e-plunge and am waiting for my first Kindle. At first I was disappointed that I could not get my paper The New Yorker subscription applied to the Kindle but after reading this post am pleased as punch to pay for both. Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2011 10:10:54 AM PDT
Where did you get a New Yorker print subscription for only $28? I want one!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2014 9:25:30 PM PDT
NC Reviewer says:
This question is 5 years old. Has this changed? I want to get a Kindle, but I don't want to pay twice either and if things haven't changed in 5 years, do I need to wait until 2019 until I check again?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The New Yorker forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New Yorker
The New Yorker by The New Yorker
3.1 out of 5 stars   (236)