Customer Discussions > Someday (Sunrise Book 3) forum

Can I read Kindle books on my Nook?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 227 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 1, 2012 3:18:04 PM PST
D. D. MccOy says:
anyone mind explaining this in non-geek English???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 1:03:46 PM PST
calibre-ebook.com is the correct link.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 8:57:44 AM PST
That's why I now buy fewer books on Amazon. I bought the nook because it natively supports ePub (open standard format) eBooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 10:26:28 AM PST
miltonkry says:
I just bout the Nook Tablet for my wifes birthday. I transferred books from my computer Adobe Digital with no problems at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 3:23:32 PM PST
D. D. MccOy says:
but you didn't tell me how

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 4:50:36 AM PDT
Go to your library's website and check to see if they offer digital edition loans. If they do, there should be something that says which platforms are supported. Make sure the platform/version you want is compatible with your device. There should be directions on the website.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:21:52 PM PDT
C. Carrillo says:
if i just download the kindle books to my mac and read them on my iPad I would think I don't need to have an actual Kindle, is this true?

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:22:21 PM PDT
C. Carrillo says:
if i just download the kindle books to my mac and read them on my iPad I would think I don't need to have an actual Kindle, is this true?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 6:55:30 AM PDT
You can now get kindle books from the library

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:32:37 PM PDT
True. I do this all the time.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:14:59 PM PDT
Buddy says:
Ain't capitalism and the profit-motive beautiful?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:30:50 AM PDT
I do not believe that it will convert DRM protected files which Amazon's ebooks would be

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 6:59:59 PM PDT
BeanieSue says:
Yes, C. Carrillo -- you would download the free Kindle app from the app store into your iPad. Transfer Kindle books from your computer into iPad. We do this all the time.
Also I think you can purchase the Kindle book directly from your iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 5:42:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012 5:43:33 PM PDT
MJ28 says:
if you own the book.you have a right to do what ever you want with it.what a load of crap%^" stripping DRM is illegal "

not attacking anyone here :-)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:49:14 PM PDT
Gerd Friedl says:
to read all kindle books on a nook, (with or without drm) you simply run the kindle app on your nook. no need to strip drm. nothing illegal. yes, of course you can do with your nook whatever you want: you can buy and sell it or not, use it or not, hang it on the wall or not, drill a hole into your nook or not, put the nook in a drawer or not, read kindle books on your nook or not..yes, you can do that all without going to jail.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:45:29 PM PDT
But the kindle app isn't available on the nook.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 3:54:48 PM PDT
I don't think I can run the Kindle app on my Nook Simple Touch. Or I don't see how.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:54:04 AM PDT
You need to root it via an SD card and card-reader. It's easier that it sounds. I own one, and it runs a version of Android OS which you can download the Kindle app via the App store. For more info see this link: http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 11:24:05 AM PDT
Tiffany says:
download getjar from the web browser on your kindle not the app market. once done search nook and voila you have nook on your kindle :D enjoy

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 11:26:08 AM PDT
Tiffany says:
as for free downloads on kindle it is possible also if you have a prime acct. $80 a year you can rent up to 2 books at a time for free.... still trying to find the loophole for kindle books on nook

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 1:41:03 PM PDT
JP Benfield says:
Technically, it is. In the USA, stripping DRM is a violation of the DMCA. Stupid, but true.

It's also a violation of the Kindle terms of use. You never own the book, you only buy a license to read it:

"Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider."

With that said, I doubt that Amazon would ever win a case against someone removing DRM simply to port to another device for their own personal use. Fundamentally, it's not much different than the same bitching and moaning that occurred when record companies found out that people were making mixed tapes, recording TV shows or taping songs off the radio. They're going to be more worried about the guy selling bootleg copies at a flea market than the kid who wants to read a book on a competing device.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I'm not providing legal advice. In fact, I'm not even here. This posting is a figment of your imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 1:53:47 PM PDT
Seeker says:
I think a court would indeed find it "unconscionable". That's a legal word. And no, I'm not a lawyer either.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/unconscionable

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:37:59 AM PDT
Gerd Friedl says:
this limitation is about reading an amazon book on a reading device, such as an iphone or an android device.
amazon simply does not want that you print out the book and sell it or make money with it otherwise. but it is legal to buy a digital amazon book and read it on any device where amazon has programmed a free app for, like an android device, for example the nook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:46:02 AM PDT
Gerd Friedl says:
of course the kindle app is available on the nook. read my earlier posts. the easiest way to install the kindle app is by inserting a "n2a" sd-card (available on amazon.com) and then start the nook. this is it.
you than get an additional light gray button on your screen where you can access everything: email, opera browser, pdf-reader, kindle-app, google playstore and everything else you want. it cannot be easier than that. you do not change "write" or burn" the code inside the nook, so you do nothing illegal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:47:06 PM PDT
Gerd Friedl says:
hello us geisha girl- yes you can read amazon books an a nook. simply get a "n2a" card for your nook (available here on amazon). then start your nook. you will then see a small light grey button on the right side:
when you press this one, you get everything you see on an android tablet: email, browser, google maps, playstore, kindle app to read amazon books and so on. this is the easiest way to do it. have fun.
if this sounds too complicated, i could send you one of these cards.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  168
Total posts:  227
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction)
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction) by Karen Kingsbury (Hardcover - February 1, 2008)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (127)