In Defence of Food: The Myth of Nutrition and the Pleasures of Eating
Used & New from: $2.49
Can you recommend Pollan-esque cookbooks? Does anyone know of a good vegetable-centric (i.e. not vegetarian) cook book that features recipes that make heavy use of veggies and grains and are "enhanced" by meat?

Also, a good ingredient-first book so I can better orient my meal planning around what is at the local (Massachusetts) farm. Thanks!
asked by C. Jaenicke on April 6, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 answers
A
For a good cook book that I think is really focused on a wholesome diet, including many vegetables, and is not against meat or alcohol, I would suggest The Mediterrasian Way. You can find out a lot of information and get recipes at their website:

http://www.mediterrasian.com/

Their recipes are sometimes fairly difficult, in that they require many ingredients, but they are good starting points, and the cook book itself--which I bought after being pleased with all of their online recipes--offers a lot of good sense advice about putting together healthy meals and such. They put a lot of emphasis on creating delicious food by mixing vegetables into dishes, rather than the somewhat traditional American idea of seperate veggies, meat, and grains.
Thomas Gonzales answered on April 22, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I find a lot of ingredient-first recipes from a local farm that runs a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). It's designed to help their members figure out what to do with the contents of their veggies box and since it's locally-based (for me) acording to season, I find it very useful when trying to figure out how to prepare those lesser-known veggies that we get here: Fava Beans, Fennel, Kohlrabi, etc.

From Two Small Farms:
http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/index.html

From Eat With the Seasons:
http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/index.html

I realized that these are specific to Northern California, but they may be helpful & I would recommend looking on the web for local resources as well as checking with your local chapter of SLOW food, farmers markets and/or gerdeners' associations.

Hope this helps,
Lenore
Lenore Sanborn de Asis answered on April 23, 2008
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I know of two books that would help:
"Simply In Season" by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-wert
"Local Flavors" by Deborah Madison

If you search for Simply In Season on Amazon, you'll find a list of similar books. The Mennonite Central Committee (main charity organization of the Mennonite church) has published this and other books, so checking their website might also help (mcc.org).
Robyn H. Visniski answered on May 16, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Super Antioxidant Diet and Nutrition Guide is a great nutrition guide and has 171 recipes developed by an international chef. The book is written by a chef and a cell physiologist. The Super Antioxidant Diet and Nutrition Guide: A Health Plan for Body, Mind, and Spirit
Robin Jeep answered on May 17, 2008
Comment | 1 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Super Antioxidant Diet and Nutrition Guide is a great nutrition guide and has 171 recipes developed by an international chef. The book is written by a chef and a cell physiologist. The Super Antioxidant Diet and Nutrition Guide: A Health Plan for Body, Mind, and Spirit

It has 4 catagories of meal plans:

Meat and Fish Eaters
Fish Eaters
Ultimate Vegan
Anti-Inflammation

I am Robin Jeep one of the authors. Please visit our website www.vibrantcuisine.com.
Robin Jeep answered on May 17, 2008
Comment | 2 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Eat only foods your grandmother would have eaten in small portions. Avoid foods with a vast array of chemical igreidents. Buy local produce if possible.

Pollan's books are about the value of food to the human body and a way of life. It's not a South Beach Diet thing.
VicAriel answered on May 26, 2008
Comment | 7 of 35 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Since my grandmother isn't here to teach me her recipes, I think it is fair enough to ask for suggestions of books that are in line with Michael Pollan's philosophy.
S. Kitt answered on June 24, 2008
Comment | 10 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I personally like the cookbooks in the "Moosewood restaurant" series. The collection of recipes places emphasis on wholesome, vegetarian dishes and a few sea-food dishes.
Foodlova answered on July 18, 2008
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets (Paperback)
Deborah Madison (Author)

The Greens Cookbook (Hardcover)
by Deborah Madison (Author), Edward Espe Brown (Author)

Field Guide to Produce: How to Identify, Select, and Prepare Virtually Every Fruit and Vegetable at the Market (Paperback)
by Aliza Green (Author)
Donna McLoughlin answered on July 18, 2008
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A cookbook very much in line with Michael Pollan's philosophy is Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. It also contains a great introduction worth reading on its own. I'm actually surprised Pollan didn't mention it.
Andrew Fippinger answered on July 26, 2008
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product