5.0 out of 5 stars For intended use, its as good as they say.
Published 23 months ago by CdnChris

3.0 out of 5 stars X-small is BIG
The extra small is still really big on me. I'm 5'7 and 160 lbs. the left handed zipper will take some getting used to. It is very well made and arrived quickly.
Published 15 months ago by Stevenr123456

5.0 out of 5 stars For intended use, its as good as they say., December 24, 2012
I finally gave in and bought myself a Canada Goose parka. I had wanted one for years, after trying on a Snow Mantra at an outdoor goods retailer. I should add that while I didn't buy this from Amazon online, I'm putting in the review since I found reviews for this jacket harder to find than I would have thought, so as a frequent Amazon customer, I wanted to contribute.

My day-to-day winter coat is a Marmot down-filled jacket with attached hood, which is an outstanding jacket. However, if it drops past -20C, with a wind, it becomes necessary to layer up under the Marmot. I had toyed with the idea of a Canada Goose for some time but was balking at the price.

So, I finally tried on a Canada Goose (CG) Expedition and a CG Resolute in the winter of 2012. The Resolute has a few more features over the Expedition, such as slightly longer body, removable fur ruff, a few more pockets, attached "D" rings to the coat exterior and grab straps on the shoulders should someone need to grab and pull you from a fall, ice, etc. The cost is about $100 more for the Resolute, so its a question of whether you want a more "industrial" parka (Resolute) or a more moderate/urban wear heavy-warm parka (Expedition).

The retailer where I tried on the jacket thoughtfully had a table at the CG section, so you could put your coat on the table while trying on various CG jackets and parkas. Once I made my choice, I was able to spread my soon-to-be new jacket on the table and minutely check all seams, zippers, etc for any sign of concern. All was in order and once I got the jacket home, carefully removed the various paper tags (but none of the interior tags, as CG policy online is that if you remove a sewn-in tag or alter the jacket, you invalidate the warranty. I was surprised to learn that even the paper tags, such as the DuPont Teflon tag, the "Made in Canada" tag are all counterfeited!). Buying from a brick-and-mortar store is not a bad idea at all to ensure authenticity, and to ensure fit. If you buy from Amazon, you'll get an authentic item, but you might want to try this on at a store first. Its big and bulky, and its always good to see that in person. Anyways, I put this jacket on once I got home, and in a matter of about a minute and 30 seconds, I became way too warm in room temperature.

I've been out in various weather (I do a lot of outdoors photography) and even at -19C, have been too warm in this jacket! When doing outdoor/landscape photography, you spend a lot of time standing still, and hence, a warm jacket makes outdoor winter photography so much nicer. I generally use outdoors technical clothing in layers to ski or snow shoe to a site to take pictures. If I'm moving, I'm warm, but once I'm there and not moving, I'm cold. So, for the really cold days, I use this parka. If I have to hump any distance in the snow, it needs to be -40C or I'm too warm in my Canada Goose. But once you stop moving for any length of time, and start taking pictures, standing around, its amazing being inside this monster. You feel like you're in your own house with the fireplace cranked up.

So, to sum up:

Pros: Very durable exterior (not a thin, easily-torn nylon), which is highly windproof. Huge amounts of duck down in this coat. The hood *really* protects your face. You have to experience the hood fully deployed on a cold day to appreciate this thing. Interior snow skirt, waist-cord to tighten and slim the look, wrist cuffs to cut the cold slipping out your sleeve, adjustment strap on the back of the hood, as well as tightening cords on the neck.

Cons: Bulky, fur ruff not removable (except for the Polar Bears International Expedition, and the PBI Expedition is near impossible to find), too warm for everyday use unless you live at the Arctic Circle or at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. Also, the fur ruff is coyote, and while I am an animal lover, I also live in the country and know the realities of being in a certain position in the food chain and see my Native friends using animal skins regularly for clothing. The Canada Goose site on Face Book is littered with people criticizing the company for its fur use. If you have an ethical issue with fur, then this jacket will violate your principles. If you are able to live with the fact that a coyote was trapped and killed or shot and used to create part of this jacket, then the choice is yours to make. I thought I'd mention it because it was a factor in my decision making.

I have read reviews where people complain that this jacket doesn't breathe well, its not suitable for mountaineering, etc. Well, check the CG website. It rates this for -30C or colder and details that its best used in extreme climates, especially for low output activity. If you buy this and plan to snowmobile in the depths of the Manitoba winter, its great. If you buy this to use as an everyday jacket in a major urban city, or to use for high output winter activities, such as snow shoeing and cross-country skiing, well, it will most likely be way too warm. Unbelievable too warm.

Buy it for the purpose it was built--extreme cold, low-output activity--and you'll love it. Buy it to walk around Toronto in March and you'll likely be so warm, you'll be unable to wear it. The Moon Rover buggy was very expensive and would have been useless on the LA freeways, but on the surface of the moon, it was peerless. Similarly, this jacket isn't for -5C and walking around shopping malls with a quick dash to a cold car; its for long periods spent out in -40C walking and stopping and doing things. Get it for its intended purpose, and you'll love it. Get it to use for urban shopping in mild winter conditions, and you'll melt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things you might like to know, March 8, 2010
Any picture which includes people in Antarctica will show you that these parkas are as plentiful as penguins so you don't need another "How warm it is" comment.
But I think you might like to be aware of some of the cool things about this parka that are not in the description.
There are side accessible zippered hand warmer pockets behind each of the 4 outside front pockets the surprise being that the breast pocket ones are divided into 2 compartments, the one closest to you is at a great height, size, and are fleece lined. The forward compartment is unlined.
The cuffs are recessed about 3 inches up into the sleeve making the fit between mitten cuff and parka sleeve a nice easy fit.
On one shoulder there is a pen/pencil pocket with a small black target/wear patch at the top I think so you can easier tell where to return the pen/pencil to. On the other shoulder is another small pocket w/Velcro.
Inside the parka there is a snow skirt and the sticky side of the Velcro attachment folds back on itself when not in use so that it doesn't stick to you and/or pick up all sorts of lint.
There is another good size open pocket below the snow skirt as well as an inside breast pocket that is zippered and fleece lined.
On the downside- It is a left handed zipper. First one I have ever had and it takes some getting used to.
Also I would think that a company called Canada Goose would use goose down. But given their stellar reputation I am not going to complain about them using duck down in this parka. They do not try and hide it. It is right there in the description.
The back of the absolutely gorgeous hood could use a Velcro tab so you could adjust how far forward the hood falls.
I love this thing. I hope you will to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Price!, January 2, 2010
Kyle Heinrichs (Winnipeg Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
I work as a doorman for The Fairmont Hotel Winnipeg. We were given these parkas as our new winter dress code. Within my first shift of having this jacket i fell in love with it! The quality is top notch. It does not rip or tear when you hook onto objects and is made of excellent exterior materials. Currently as i am writing this it is -42C in winnipeg at the corner of portage and main. I have never been cold wearing this jacket and doubt i ever will be. The interior of the jacket is also excellent. The appereance gets great compliments and i get guests asking me everyday where to buy such a parka. Canada goose is a great company and you will not be dissapointed with this parka. I love it so much that i will be buying my own within the next month. For sure worth the Price!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST WINTER WEAR!!!, January 28, 2012
i guess everyone knows about how strong this jacket is.
so i want to talk about the size and color only.
i'm 6'1`` and 170 lb. and Small size fits just a little big (not too big, but just a little bit).
XS would be the perfect size if you like to wear outter cloth tight.
since Tan color is very hard to get, i'm not returning this one.
Under 6'0 -> XS (smaller size if there's any)
from 6'0 ~ 6'1 (165 ~ 175) -> XS
from 6'1 ~ 6'2 (175 ~ 185) -> S
from 6'2 ~ 6'3 (185 ~ 195) -> M
Giant -> L
buyer remember, this jacket is big.
and about the color.
my definete choice is TAN color. TAN is very luxurious if you see the real stuff (not in Screen)
and second best choice is RED. it looks very stylish.
but also Black can be your never fail selection.
i'm not very crazy about Navy Color. (it looks like National Park Guard in Canada)
and i'm not so sure about other color since i didn't have any chance to see them in real.

i definitely recommend this jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizing Info on Best Parka Ever, September 25, 2012
Thought it might be helpful to some if I could clarify some sizing information. Thanx to the immense amount of information I found on Amazon I was able to size my new Canada Goose Parka. I am 5' 10" tall, wear a size 41 suit. wear a 15.5" X 33" shirt, weigh 170 pounds. According to the Canada Goose size chart I should wear a large. Everything I have researched all say to size down so I am a size SMALL! As you already know this is a very warm Parka, rated by Canada Goose down to - 30 F. I am able to layer my clothing and still have room to move. Say a layer of moisture wick(ing) material and a bulky Irish sweater. I don't know if I will ever have that need due to the warmth of the parka. As far as function the 4 front pockets have 2 compartments. The first zippered part is lined with a warm soft material. The flapped pocket on the outer side isn't. I find the upper pockets a comfortable place to warm/rest my hands as the lower set of pockets would be too far of a reach. This parka might be too warm even for Denver Colorado? It is the best made piece of clothing I have ever seen! What I find odd is it it ia NOT waterproff! Rain/snow would have to soak thru several layers to get thru to your skin. But I guess it is made to withstand very cold tempertures where snow might not even melt. The hood is attached and very well designed. It is hard to tell I love this parka! As far as "form"... I think it looks great. And too bad I was forced to buy it elsewhere as Amazon did not have my size or color... Red - small. It must be a popular size and color as it was difficult to find anywhere. I understand it is guaranteed for life. I hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and stylish parka, October 22, 2013
There is already a lot of things said, and i might just add, that i live in Far East of Russia, Siberia, where temperature in winter is up to -58 celcius. And we have winter here like 7-8 months in a year :) and this parka is (very) Ok for this conditions. It is even i bit too warm until -20 celcius, from very my point of view.

A bit oversized. I am 181/75, and usually wear L, but Expedition in size M fits me very well, and i even have some room left inside.

I own it since, i think, somewhere 2009, and so far i have nothing bad to say about this great product.

(and sorry for my english)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, December 6, 2011
I live in Chicago and winters get pretty cold. Living right by the lake there is always lots of wind and when I walk my dog out I need a coat that will keep me nice and warm. This coat is absolutely amazing. Having owned a Woolrich Artic Parka for 7 years I never thought I could get a better quality jacket but this is just that. The insulation is insane; 625 down fill is pretty much like wearing a comforter all over your body. The outer shell is water proof and is built great. All the pockets are super easy to access and very functional. Some people might be put off by the price but this is the type of parka you don't buy for one year; this will easily last you 6 years. Depending on how classic you want it you have a great selection of colors. I personally went with the red color and it just pops out.

Only thing I need to mention is the size. For some reason the sizes tend to be a little big. I originally bought a medium because according to the size chart on the Canada Goose website I was a medium. After returning it I bought a small and its perfect. I'm 5'9" and about 180pounds so I would really suggest trying to find a store to try it on. I believe Nordstrom carries them in stock

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, May 10, 2013
Big (Belton, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
Everything you've read about Canada Goose is true. The quality is 5 star, as is the price. What have you heard your whole life? You get what you pay for. You never go wrong over the long run if you buy the best. So true. Canada Goose sold many thousands of parkas last year in 40 countries, grossed $200,000,000 and made a $25,000,000 net profit. They are expanding their manufacturing facilities in CANADA (yeah, no China), and have a fervent commitment to stay in Canada forever. What's not to like. This means that there is a high world demand for their quality parkas, the price will continue to go up along with the value, and as long as they continue to make the best parkas in the world, people will gladly shell out $800 to be chic and well clothed. Yes, I like my CG Expedition Parka, Wasaga Sand (color to be discontinued this year), size large for my 6'6", 205 pound frame. The fit is loose enough to handle any undergarment desired, but tight enough to provide the maximum cold protection with or without undergarments. If you are the best and enjoy the best, go for it! Gotta love those Canadians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you dryclean the fur trim?, October 29, 2013
I recently purchased this coat. Used it first time in 2*C with wind gusts in open field after sunset. I like it so far. Can't wait to use it this coming winter in -25+C temps. Last winter we even had some -30+C windchill days. Had to buy one 2 sizes down from my usual Large. The Small fits great. I do find the black colour shows dirt easily (the whitish gray dirt from a dirty car, say). This can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth.

The Expedition model is one of the few winter coats where the coyote fur trim does NOT detach from the coat. This means when you dryclean the coat, the coyote fur on the hat gets drycleaned too. No way around it.

Spoke to one of the major drycleaners in the city and they say the fur will become brittle after so many cleanings. So I called Canada Goose in Canada for their advice. The lady on the phone said to not dryclean the fur as dryclean chemicals are not good for the coyote fur trim. She said I should request the Drycleaner to wrap the fur in some kind of plastic so it will be not touched. The Drycleaner said this was not possible as the dryclean chemicals would melt the plastic. Now why would Canada Goose provide this wrong advice? PR?

I asked the same lady from Canada Goose why they do not make the fur trim on the hat detachable like on many of their other coats? Her answer was that the Expedition parka was one of their traditional legacy coats and it always had a non-removable fur trim. So, the answer is that it has nothing to do with practicality but just for tradition's sake.

If you dryclean the Expedition coat once a year, the fur will become brittle after so many cleanings. It will not affect the warmth of the coat. If the answer to keeping the fur trim in top shape for the life of the coat is to make it detachable, why not do it? I am wondering how often you dryclean your Expedition and what has your experience been so far with the fur trim on the hat?

Updated November 24, 2013. Today we had wind chill of -20*C in the morning. All I had on was the Expedition jacket on and a regular cotton polyester long sleeve polo. I did not feel the cold at all standing outdoors for over 1/2 hour and longer. My legs felt a bit cool but that's to be expected with only a pair of pants on. Just having the hood tucked close to the neck added good warmth as the fur helped to provide a barrier from the very strong winds. Happy so far with the parka.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warmest jacket on the world. Only for strong temperatures, December 25, 2013
A. F. (München, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This jacket is like wearing a thick down blanket. It appeares thinner on the picture but if you wear it, it's narly 8'' to all sides thick. I'm a 5'10" with a wide chest, and large fits perfectly. But it looks like it's much too wide due to the thick down layer.
One advantage is, the down layer will flatten a little bit after some time so you won't look like a ball after a while.
This jacket is designed for the strongest winter (Expedition parka should say it). If you have a weak winter with barely snow, you might not be able to wear it, as you will sweat like hell in it. :) I was wearing only a shirt under it when it was snowing, and i was still sweating...
The quality is just awesome, the cojote fur is fluffy, the velcro is very strong, and it does its job with keeping you warm.
I ordered it from U.S. to germany, as we don't have any grey canada goose jackets here, and this jacket looks just awesome. Delivery was 5 working days across the globe, amazon took care about the taxes and import fees. So i paid nearly 1100$ for it, but now i'm proud owner of the warmest jacket on the world.

Canada Goose Men's Expedition Parka,Red,Large