Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on January 9, 2012
I think the first thing that really got me into this book was the MC. At first I wasn't sure if I liked him or not, but as the pages flew by I couldn't help but smile at the eccentricities of Detective Lawless. This book is a great mix of horror, dark humor and some Sci-Fi thrown in just to make it interesting. I have to admit there were a couple chapters that for me, were a bit long and probably should have been shortened to move the story along a little faster, but that's just my opinion, and overall I really enjoyed this book. This story is definitely worth your time. One thing that struck me is how much this book read just like a John Saul novel, style wise: great characters, compelling plot, and an ending that will satisfy completely. Everett Powers has done it again.
on March 11, 2012
"Canals" starts off with an interesting and grabbing premise. A different sort of monster. But the story soon goes off on tangents that really catch one off-guard. By the time you have finished with this book, you will wonder where Powers ever got his ideas from? Is he trying to tell us something? Is he an...Advocate? An exciting and quite gory story that you just sit back and enjoy. "Canals" is well worth the read.
on February 19, 2012
Mr. Powers does a fine job blending elements of horror and science fiction in this fast-paced and often gruesome tale. The story reminded me of those good old monster movies that I loved as a boy, updated with plenty of splatter. Mr. Powers presents some nicely developed characters in a satisfying and fun little thriller that I would certainly recommend to anyone who enjoys the horror genre.
on April 7, 2012
Great horror that might just keep me up at night for a long time. I now purposefully steer around areas with canals running through them. This was a great read that grabs you from the beginning and doesn't let go like a pit bull. The scenes are graphic but tastefully done and show rather then tell. Get it while it is hot.
on September 28, 2014
Never read science fiction but the life situations
Portrayed in such a realistic fashion. Characters
Seem to make you want to turn the pages faster.
The revival was the icing on the cake!!
This was the first book by the author that I've read and I was pleasantly surprised. I love finding new indie authors and finding one with a well written, good book is always a bonus cherry on top. The monster in Canals was unique and different from others that have just been done to death in the fiction world (if I never read another vampire story again it will be a good thing)! I enjoyed the interaction between the two main lead characters as their relationship developed and changed. Personally I loved the obsession with shoes - of course I am also held in thrall by shoes, so that may just be my own addiction finding a soft place to land. I enjoyed Canals and it moved very quickly. I will definately seek out more from Everett Powers.
on May 26, 2013
This book kept me on the edge of my seat and made my heart race! I grew up in Modesto and it was interesting reading about places I am actually familiar with. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to really get involved in a great thriller! I got this book for a low price of .99 cents, but had I pay $10 it would definitely have been worth it and I would not have been disappointed! Awesome!
on November 15, 2011
A great read. At first I wasn't sure how this book would go, but from the first body to the end I was hooked. Everett Powers pulls you in with the first page, weaving a tale of terror that will grab you like a pitbull. I found it hard to stop reading. His characters are believable and he does a great job of showing the terror they feel.

I have to say that Everett pulled off a great combination of horror and sci/fi with this book. I don't know if that is what he was going for, but I do know that I loved this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves this genre, and even those that don't.
on April 11, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading this. It was an easy read and a quick page turner! Author has a great sense of detail! Enjoy!
on July 24, 2013
The story was entertaining and I'm glad I gave it a try. I thought several parts of the story did not flow well and the conversations felt forced and unnatural. However, overall, it was an interesting story plot that I felt the need to find out where it lead.