Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 30, 2009
A secret known by pro cyclists for years is that wearing two pairs of cycling shorts is a good way to add protection against saddle sores and chafing.

The Canari Gel Padded Cycle Liner may be intended to be worn under regular shorts to make them usable for cycling, but an even better use for them is to wear them inside padded cycling shorts for added padding. Chamois cream is applied to the Cycle Liner instead of to your cycling shorts and the net result is a much more comfortable ride. And, No, you can't feel the extra padding thickness. It feels no different than wearing just padded shorts by themselves.

I just completed the Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska which was seven straight days in the saddle averaging 65 to 70 hard miles each day, some of which was over some pretty choppy road surfaces. I wore quality cycling shorts with Canari Gel Cycle Liners under them every day and had zero hot spots or saddle sores. I could have ridden another seven days with no problem. (NOTE: Keep in mind that cleanliness is vitally important and don't wear shorts or cycle liners twice without laundering them.)

Try Canari Gel Padded Cycle Liners under your padded cycling shorts on your next century or charity ride and you'll be amazed at the comfort.
99 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2009
Very good liner at a reasonable price. I wear these under a pair of lightly padded Cannondale shorts for mountain biking of rides around two hours. Very comfortable and no soreness the next day.
on May 17, 2010
I bought two different pairs of cycling shorts. Both padded in the crotch.
This one is the gel padding covered by microfiber. The other was a non-gel type padding. I like both. The Canari Gel works great, is comfortable, and the microfiber is great! I don't like the seams on the bottom of the shorts. It's a thicker rubber band, that keeps them from riding up. You don't notice it once you are riding, unless you have hairy legs. My other pair, doesn't have the band at the bottom of the legs, and I like the way it fits a little better. I have some big ole legs, so don't have to worry about them riding up. I ride in South Florida, so it's very hot, humid, and sweaty, and so far, both of these shorts aren't too hot in the heat either. I wear a pair of cotton bikini underwear underneath to hold my junk in the right place. But wouldn't recommend that for long trips. Great shorts, can't go wrong.
on July 13, 2011
I purchased 2 pairs of these in hopes of avoiding spending $100's on actual cycling shorts. What I found was I still should have purchased the shorts, but these are a completely wonderful alternative for shorter rides - or even for wearing under other shorts.

The padding is noticeable, but not over done. The materials are breathable, but not too light weight. The waist band fits well and doesn't 'give' and fall down. The legs hold their position just fine and work great - although I can see in previous reviews that hairy upper legs could be a bit painful...

I wore them under a pair of Under Armour compression pants in the winter with great success. Then I wore them under some Nike workout shorts for the Seattle to Portland Classic - 204 miles in 2 days - and had minimal issue. I could see where a bit more padding in the right places would be better, but for a light weight alternative to full cycling shorts, these are a winner.

The sizes do seem to run a bit larger than normal, I am a 38 waist and the XL's were a touch loose on me, so be cautious when ordering and be prepared to swap if needed.
on July 5, 2014
Great price for great quality, happy with these, although the pad is somewhat minimal. Also, know that these run a bit small (had to return mine for the next size up), here's the size chart from the tag:

Size Waist
XL 36-38
XXL 40-42

More from the tag:

Redefine your ride with Canari's GEL Brief
For the 'weekend warrior' that demands the care and comfort of professionals, Canari's new GEL brief can turn anyone's favorite pair of shorts into extremely comfortable cycling gear.

Gel Chamois
The GEL pad is pure comfort. Using our unique GelFill system, shock is spread throughout the saddle region rather than concentrating in one specific area. A fluid barricade is formed that reduces skin irritation and absorbs shock, providing a superior ride.
on May 8, 2013
I wear small in all brands except for bike gear, so i got a medium (30-31" waste, and muscular build). This fits perfectly, but leg elastic is a little tight but i have muscular thighs thicker than most of those skinny road bikers.

I like how the back goes very high, as it covers my lower back when bent over on a road bike. Padding is smaller than other shorts, but its exactly where i need it. Also it is a gel type padding, much better than plain foam.
on October 3, 2009
These padded Gel Cycle liners are very nice to wear, I have been riding over twenty mile rides for several weeks in Pueblo West, Colorado. Where the roads are very bumpy and rough, I have been wearing cycling shorts with just a regular liner, now with these GEL padded cycle liners, has made a world of difference, I am 67 years old, and have been riding bicycles for several years. These shorts are a great price, and can be worn with any other type of shorts.
on October 22, 2011
For me, these shorts have two substantial drawbacks:
1.)The padded area is small, and of low quality.
2.) There is a vertical seam in the front on the inside, which makes them uncomfortable to wear.

Given these two flaws, a pair of stretchy underwear works better as an underlayer for bicycling, and cost substantially less.
on April 22, 2012
I've had gel-padded bicycle shorts before. I've had gel-padded gloves. I've had a gel-padded seat cover. I'm holding these shorts in my hands right now, and the padding does not feel like gel at all. It feels like foam rubber, almost like neoprene. It has little 'bounce' or elasticity, is rather thin for my taste, and does not 'glide' like a true gel pad. When sitting down on the bike seat, the pad compresses and loses much of the cushioning effect.

I will grant that the padding in these shorts is better than no padding at all, but it simply does not compare to a true gel pad.

Aside from the issue of 'is it gel or not', the shorts are fairly good quality, fit well, and are reasonably comfortable.
on May 20, 2014
Last year I bought a pair of Canari's basic foam-padded shorts, in size L, with good results. I bought the above shorts in size XL for a slightly looser fit on my 37" waist. When I tried them on they were actually tighter than the L, and no matter how I tried to adjust them, it always felt like I was getting a diagonal "wedgie" across my crotch. The most unacceptable feature was that the gel pad was about 20% smaller in area, barely 5" wide in the sit-bone area, which resulted in these shorts being much less comfortable than the (cheaper) foam-padded shorts. Side by side, the gel pad looked like it was made for a child, and if that wasn't bad enough, it was very thin, barely 1/4". It looks to me like Canari wanted to make a cheap set of gel shorts & cut all the corners on the pad, along with sloppy, asymetrical sewing to add even more discomfort. I sent them back.