Popular TV star Candice Olson shows you how to create your dream kitchen and bathroom
Kitchens and bathrooms are the most commonly renovated rooms--and also the best investment with the highest payback value upon resale. This book is chock full of tips, inspiration, and ideas from popular TV star Candice Olson, whose designs have wowed fans around the world. Brimming with hundreds of full-color, before-and-after photos of Candice's stunning room makeovers, the book gives advice for choosing colors, materials, and furnishings to make any space shine.
Divine Design Tips for the Kitchen & Bath from Candice Olson
|Author Candice Olson |
1. Taking the time to plan for adequate lighting in any space is critical, but never more so than in the kitchen and bathroom. Just spend some time really evaluating your lighting needs. What elements of a room do you want to play up? Aside from a central ceiling fixture, consider task lighting under kitchen cabinets, wall sconces on each side of the bathroom mirror, or accent lighting to play up stunning artwork or furniture pieces.
2. Today’s kitchen and bath tiles come in a never-ending array of colors, but there is one thing you should remember when selecting tiles for showers or kitchen counters. Simply put, unless you’re going to take the time to wipe down the shower every day, stay away from dark tiling.
3. In this era of environmentally friendly design, the lowly dimmer switch has come a long way! Today you can purchase dimmer switches that can be pre-programmed to automatically change the lighting level in a room. With the touch of a button on the wall or the click of a remote control, different lighting levels can be called up.
4. Many elements of a bathroom have a “cold” feeling: think tiles, chrome and porcelain. To balance with warmth, try painting the walls in a warm color. Vary textures by adding shaggy rugs, bamboo baskets or intricate fabrics. Plants are a great addition to a bathroom, either wall mounted or in pots on the counter.
5. Busy homemakers, here is your first mission: go on a hunt for wasted space. If you have an area adjacent to or in the kitchen - whether the corner of a laundry room or an under-utilized wall--you can create a kitchen office that really cooks!
6. When redesigning your kitchen, new cabinetry will be your biggest expense. Even if you need to scrimp in other areas, be sure to invest in quality cabinets now and you’ll reap the benefits for years to come.
7. Gone are the days when whirlpools were the hallmark of a luxurious bathroom. These days, air tubs are the new way to soak away the stress of your day! Tiny jets create zillions of little air pockets that massage your entire body, without the sting of a blasting water jet. But if showering is your thing, check out the latest “rain” shower heads - flat round fixtures which come in a variety of widths. They provide a steady, gentle-yet-invigorating flow of water for the perfect shower experience!
8. There’s no doubt that when it comes to interior design, the hottest color right now is green. With the mounting evidence of global warming, recent energy crises and other environmental concerns, interior design has an important role to play. When choosing materials for your renovation projects, look for products that will have the smallest environmental footprint possible.