5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived on time, and was very much enjoyed!
Published on July 8, 2007 by Matt

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but lousy delivery service
The Good:
The box was nicely packaged and arrived with even its bow intact. The amount of candy was abundant, the variety was good, and my father-in-law greatly enjoyed reminiscing over the various gums and hard candies.

The Bad:
Published on December 27, 2007 by L. Magnusson

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived on time, and was very much enjoyed!, July 8, 2007
Matt (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Sent this to my dad for Father's Day, and it arrived on time, and he loved it. He said it brought back many memories, and included some of his favorite candies from back when he was a kid. He enjoyed the box it came in, and the candies tasted as they did when he was a kid. If you know anyone from the 40s definately consider buying them this as a gift. It makes a great gag gift to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but lousy delivery service, December 27, 2007
The Good:

The Bad:
When my order from Candy Crate was six days overdue, I emailed the company and received a quick reply. I was assured my product would arrive shortly. I had to send another email after an additional two days complaining that it was Christmas Eve and the package hadn't arrived. Candy Crate contacted the delivery company, refunded my delivery charges, and apologized. Their customer service responses were quick and congenial but I wouldn't order from them unless you plan way ahead or they change the delivery company with whom they work.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1940's candy, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
i sent this to my 80 year old Mother for Mother's day. she was thrilled not to get more flowers and said it was a huge amount of candy and she enjoyed the memories that they evoke.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia ?, March 21, 2011
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Apparently there is a very small market of us Seniors (76 yrs) who are into nostalgia...attempting to relive our youth at the penny-candy store. This collection seemed promising but perhaps has been in storeage since the 1940's. The candy is dried-out and stale. Familiar names and packaging provided some satisfaction...but at the price? Give me a break.

1.0 out of 5 stars 40s Retro was 40s stale, January 4, 2011
Ed Stark (Valencia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Overall the selection is interesting and reminds me of the candy that my grandparents had at their house, even though there were many uninspired items that are common today. The quality is rather poor and a good percentage of the items were stale or inedible due to their hardness. Even without the stale candy, the value was lacking since most of this candy is still common today and available in the bulk candy section of supermarkets. I would reccomend that you skip this one.

I bought this as a spare christmas gift (you know for the person who shows up with a gift but you forgot) and didn't need it. I was excited to open this myself and was almost immediately dissapointed. The selection was a bit off I think and included candy you can get in the bulk candy section of the supermarket. This candy was mostly as hard as a rock and stale. There were cough (throat) drops from the smith brothers. Throat drops are not my idea of candy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Gift, January 4, 2007
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I bought this for a friend and we both had fun remembering the candy from our childhood. It still tastes as good today!

2.0 out of 5 stars Some of the candy is stale..., May 16, 2011
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Ordered this package along with some other 'decades' selection. The diversity wasn't bad, but I found a lot of the candy to be stale - as if it was the actual candy from that era, sitting in some candy vault for all these years. The candy that was supposed to be chewy was hard, and some selections (Bit O' Honey, Abbazabba, Turkish Taffy, etc...) had obviously been kept in a hot, humid area because they had melted and hardened into odd unappealing shapes. The hard candy (that was supposed to be hard) was mostly fine. Interesting, but I wouldn't order again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Retro Candy, August 1, 2009
Memaw (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Cute idea,but box arrived creased, and some of the candy stale. Did not live up to it's promise for the price. This was a birthday gift for my husband.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, poor selection, stale product, December 2, 2009
K. L. Hoppe (White Bear Lake, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I ordered this for my Dad for Christmas. While I knew he wouldn't get it in time, I didn't expect it to take 4 weeks. When it did arrive, I was really disappointed with the selection of candy....much of which you can still buy in most stores. In addition, some of the "chewable" items were like rocks. Fun idea...poor execution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the perfect gift, July 17, 2009
This review is from: Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
For my step-fathers birthday we got him this candy basket and a nice shirt. Forget the shirt. He loved the basket! My mom said he talked about it almost everyday for a month. A gift that makes someone that happy is easily 5 stars.

Candy Crate 1940's Retro Candy Gift Box