5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Assortment Of Obscure Confections
Published on January 13, 2006 by Robert I. Hedges

2.0 out of 5 stars Better The First Time
I just received this assortment of candy for the second time and I am quite disappointed. The only reason that I ordered the same one again was that my friend loves rock candy. The rock candy is no longer included, although it is still advertised as being in there.
Published on October 7, 2008 by R. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Assortment Of Obscure Confections, January 13, 2006
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
This is an amazing nostalgic trip to the candy store of years past. The box contains a dizzying array of candy that was popular in the 1960s. Many of these candies have been rarely to never seen in the years since. Some can't pass contemporary political muster (candy cigarettes or licorice pipes, anyone?) and some were novelties even at the time (wax lips, for instance) and don't taste any better now than they did then. Sadly many of the candies are now made overseas (the candy cigarettes were made, much to my surprise, in Macedonia), but they do look and taste authentic and are packaged nicely in a sturdy box with a bow on it.

One of my favorites in the box is the "Big Hunk" candy bar which I remember dimly at best. Although the directions for preparing and eating the "Big Hunk" on the back are certainly modern (and involve either flinging your "Big Hunk" as hard as you can or microwaving it), they are very funny nonetheless. I really love the "Lemon Heads" and "Cherry Heads" and I don't think I had seen cinnamon toothpicks for decades, but the real treat in the box for me was the little bag of "Gold Mine Gum" which is still as cool (and tasty) as it was years ago.

This is an expensive box of candy, and is probably not something you would buy every day. Having said that, you get about two and a half pounds of great retro candy presented nicely in a box for your money. I highly recommend this to anyone who misses the strange and wonderful candies of the 1960s.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better The First Time, October 7, 2008
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
In fact, a lot of the candy that was in there the last time is gone. The pieces that were full sized before are no longer full size and the candy tastes as if it was also made in the sixties and has been sitting around since then, waiting for some sucker to order it. Do yourself a favor and save your money, it is not worth the price they charge at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars gift for my mom, she loved it, October 19, 2005
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I bought this as a gift for my mother, and she loved having all the old candies she remembered from her childhood. It arrived with no problems and was a really fun gift. Since they've got them for all different decades, I'd recommend them as a cute gift for anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars stale, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
This was a gift for my husband and all the candy was stale. It is a total waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast From the Past, December 20, 2007
Fiorentina (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I ordered this product as a present for a 50th birthday gift. I was pleased with the assortment of candy as was the birthday girl. Box contained such things as wax lips, candy necklace, etc. Not as much candy as is pictured. The only thing that was irritating is that there wasn't a choice for type of shipping and it was shipped via express mail at a cost of nearly $10 when I didn't need it shipped that quickly. Other than that the product is fun and makes a good gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great birthday present, November 1, 2007
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I bought this gift for my mother, for her birthday, and she loved it. Yes, some of the candy is stuff you can buy today, but some of the stuff are things that my mom hadn't seen in years, like the wax candy lips. It was a great hit with her.

2.0 out of 5 stars just okay, December 10, 2008
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
The selection was okay but some was stale. The box did not survive shipping very well and was torn in three places. Luckily it was only for my parents so I put it in a gift bag and peeled the sticker off the box. It was okay, but I prefer the Hometown Favorites one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought back memories:, May 14, 2007
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
I bought this for my parents for a gift. They loved going through the box remembering the different kind of candies. It was enjoyable watching them fight over the "good" stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars nostalgic candy, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
Candy Crate nostalgic candy. Worst candy ever. Every piece of taffy was hard as a rock. Don't think some of the candy was from the 50's or 60's. Zero star rating. Do not fall for tis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Candy Crate Fun, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box (Grocery)
As a child the most fun was when my sister and I saved up our allowance and went to the corner store for candy. My sister always saved more (a fortune totaling slightly over 15 cents [have you noticed there is no cents sign on your keyboard?]) and got the best candy in the display case. The owner of the store didn't have a lot of time so we felt rushed to pick the best stuff. I've ordered these gift boxes twice, for both sisters, and it has been a lot of fun to look at and taste. The variety is amazing, the packaging authentic, and the memories flow. After a number of years I was encouraged to confess to my sister that it was I, and not an errant mouse, who took the Double Bubble gum from her stash. I feel better now.

Candy Crate 1960's Retro Candy Gift Box