5.0 out of 5 stars The "Jackson 5" of Boston!
Published on April 20, 2006 by andy8047

3.0 out of 5 stars A great start of a musical legacy
Published on September 12, 2000 by Derrick Dunn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Jackson 5" of Boston!, April 20, 2006
andy8047 (Nokomis,Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
Say hello to Boston-based New Edition. I said the "Jackson 5" of Boston because many of these songs sound like they were recorded by the Jackson 5. Also,one of these guys sounds like the pre-teen Michael Jackson. I love that digital percussion. It motivated many rhythmic individuals to "get down and funky"! It's 1983 and those people are having a ball "breakdancing"! One Top 20 hit from this album is the title track. That does sound like a Jackson 5 recording despite the modern percussion. Another Boston-based quintet would later enjoy success,that being New Kids On The Block(later NKOTB). Also,before there was New Edition,there was the hard-rocking Aerosmith. But the latter group began back in 1973. Let's introduce the NE members:Robert Brown,who would leave the group in 1985 or early '86 for a solo career and later take Whitney Houston to be his lawfully wedded wife. Ralph Tresvant,who'd go solo in 1990 but not become as successful and famous as Brown. Richard Bell,Michael Bivins and Ronald Devoe would re-christen the downgraded group as Bell Biv Devoe that same year. The other songs are great! I first heard the NE back in late '83 or early '84. The group recorded four more albums between 1984 and '88 to fulfill their initial contract.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Start of It All, May 7, 2001
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
Most people don't know it, but this album was the beginning of what 'Boy Bands' are today. And although Maurice Starr was a little greddy with them, New Edition spawned what was to become a booming industry francise. Here are some little known facts:
After producing N.E., Maurice went on to produce The New Kids on the Block... the private pilot for NKOTB went on to put together a group called the Backstreet Boys... and after being succesful with them, the same guy went on to create *NSYNC... Micheal Bivins of BBD, or Bell Biv Devoe of New Edition discovered Boys 2 Men, who discovered 98 Degrees after they performed for them after a concert... Do you see the connection?? Also, the R&B group, Jagged Edge, was formed because they wanted to be a group like New Edition. They even named their latest album after one of N.E. albums... J.E. Heartbreak (N.E. Heartbreak)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Days CD, February 25, 2006
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
This is an old school cd that everybody born in the 70's and early 80's should have.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Take a Pick, Baby I'm Yours!" Fantastic!!, November 30, 2005
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
Although young, they had the talent. 1983 was a very competitive year for black music and Michael Jackson, Prince, Kool & The Gang, and The Pointer Sisters were those no one can compete with. New Edition (1980s version of Jackson 5) were climbing up there and proved it with thier classic bubble gum pop/soul hits.

I love the #1 R&B title track of course as well as the #25 R&B hit, "Popcorn Love." Proper adolescent slow jams such as "Is This The End" and the album closer "Jealous Girl" were what sparked the album and I love the former's video. I dug all the other tracks from the album except for the boring, "I Gotta Have Your Lovin'" and "Ohh Baby." 8 out of 10, but you can't win them all from boys ages 14-16. Since this album/cd is still in print (unlike many other old school albums), This is a must purchase for any NE fan. I'm glad I own this cd and their self title and Heartbreak of which these three are their best!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love New Edition and Candy Girl!!!!, May 2, 2005
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
This album came out when I was about 3 years old (I'm 25 now). It was the first tape that I ever owned. To this day, everytime I hear Candy Girl I get excited. I even have it as my ringtone when my cell phone rings. All the other songs are great as well. Popcorn Love and Should Have Never Told Me are good. The sound quality could be a little better, but of cource think about how old the songs are. It plays a little lower than other CD's but it isn't a big deal. All I know is that this will have you dancing around and having fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jackson 5 legacy continues - at first..., May 27, 2000
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
Being the very first New Edition album ever, Candy Girl is important not only because it started off the legacy that is New Edition, but because it possesses a new sound created by the founding father of American boy bands, Maurice Starr. The album is composed of childish beats with a street sensibility, and sentimentally sweet songs, epitomized by the album's early shining moment, "Is This The End?". There are alot of pop/early hip hop influences here, with the Jackson 5 being the most obvious. However, there is a song on here (Got To Have Your Lovin) that will have you humming Prince's first hit, "I Wanna Be Your Lover"...the similarity is atsounding, but N.E. still manages to stay fresh. It is a must have for any New Edition fan and I have no other words to describe Candy Girl except to call it a happy, cute and innocent album that appeals to the child in all of us.
Candy Girl is a part of hip-hop history - New Edition had a cameo in the movie "Krush Groove" by Def Jam's Russell Simmons and these guys opened for Kurtis Blow back in the day. Perhaps one day, New Edition will get the recognition they have deserved for a long time. But this album was only the beginning...

5.0 out of 5 stars Candy Girl, December 1, 1999
Shakiyra Baker (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
I was so happy to fine this CD I had the album when I was a teenager. Hearing this album brung back memeories. There high pitch voices just sends chills through my spine. Get beat to dance to and to sing to. This group was the 80's Jackson 5. I'm glad I was a teenager during this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
If you are an 80's child and had the LP, you must buy this CD. I felt like in High School again! And my son loves "Pass the Beat". He has listened to it since he was 3 and dances to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great start of a musical legacy, September 12, 2000
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
This album takes us back to the eighties. It has great beats and production. I love the slow jams Is This The End & Jealous Girl which still make their way own to my slow james mixes. This album also featured some up-tempo hits in the form of the title track, Popcorn Love and She Gives Me A Bang. This album prepared the world for what would be the true New Edition. None of the toughness or street touches that emerged on their later material was evident on this slick, pop-oriented session. Ralph Tresvant, Ronald DeVoe, Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell, and Bobby Brown were all aged 13 to 15 when this was released and it shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!, January 5, 2000
This review is from: Candy Girl (Audio CD)
I am the BIGGEST New Edition fan in the world! I have loved them since i was a young girl, TOTALLY LOST IN LOVE with Ralph Tresvant and Ronnie DeVoe! When i was younger, i had to have EVERY album that New Edition had on the market...i went to every concert and had ALL the posters ALL OVER my bedroom wall. I still have the albums and they are one of my most prized possesions! CANDY GIRL is THE BEST and so is NEW EDITION...I will be a N.E. fan until i die...they are my generations TEMPTATIONS or BEETLES! THEY ARE THE BEST!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›