5.0 out of 5 stars My 4-year-old's favorite game
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:15 Mins
Published on October 10, 2007 by Brent Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A great classic never dies (unless it gets torn up)
Published on September 22, 2004 by Lisa M. Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4-year-old's favorite game, October 10, 2007
Length:: 1:15 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars There are good reasons this is your kid's first board game, October 27, 2002
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
...there are several good reasons why "Candy Land" is the first board game children learn to play:
First, the game does not require children know how to read. They do not even need to know their numbers as they do in "Chutes and Ladders." Movement is based on a child being able to recognize colors and symbols. What could be easier than that?
Second, the game is based on luck (or chance or divine intervention or however you want to characterize it), which means it is a great equalizer. This is a game where a kid has the same chance of winning as their parents, older siblings, grandparents, babysitters or whoever. Children are not going to be interested in playing a game they cannot win, which is why "Candy Land" is where they begin instead of "Monopoly" or "Trivial Pursuit."
Third, the game teaches the basic skills of board games. The hardest lesson kid have to learn with this game is to...take turns. Yes, this might be one of the first times in their young lives when kids are confronted with the regiment of structure that will afflict them the rest of their lives. But from board games like "Candy Land" to sports like baseball, structure and rules are a basic consideration. Strategy and tactics come later, but learning to take turns comes first (and I could argue is a basic lesson in civil behavior).
Therefore, I would respectfully submit that "Candy Land" remains the ideal choice for the first board game you play with your children. Just pick a card, move to the appropriate square, and proceed to have a great life.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great classic never dies (unless it gets torn up), September 22, 2004
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
This classic game was played by myself and my brothers as our first experience with board game playing and it is also my son's first experience with playing board games as well. We began playing Candyland when he was 2 years old and knew his colors well enough. It teaches colors and matching, obviously, but it allows for the parent to teach valuable concepts like taking turns, not being a sore loser, playing by the rules, and other good social skills involved in game play with others. That said, I was so disappointed with the quality of the game itself. The board is OK (although I wish the spaces were large enough to accomadate the gingerbread men pawns that are supposed to fit on the spaces). But the cards are very flimsy. All of our cards are bent up and some are torn. All are dirty. I realize that the price of this game is quite inexpensive and is still a good value for the price. But I wish they had an alternative Candyland game that cost more and was more durable to withstand play for all my child's toddler and preschool years. An ideal game would have a larger board with larger spaces and sturdy (maybe chipboard) cards that are laminated. A plastic "draw-discard" container would also be nice to contain all of the cards during play to get children use to that concept of card play. I would gladly pay more for a more durable version of this wonderful game

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game That Transcends Generations, May 25, 2001
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
I'm not sure how long "Candyland" has been on the market, but I played it when I was a kid and I'm pushing 44. My wife and I bought this game for our then-three-year-old son (he's now four), unsure if it would hold his Nintendo-infatuated attention. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who is playing with him), it does, so much so that his record at one sitting is 17 straight games. Still a classic of its kind, "Candyland" is easy to learn and fun for kids and adults (sheesh, I'm beginning to sound like a commercial here). One minor complaint: the cards aren't very durable and perhaps need to be made of thicker material to facilitate multiple shuffling and to endure the often rough touch of little hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Review From Three Generations, July 13, 1999
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
Over 30 years ago, when my parents and I played "Candy Land," I used to get so excited thinking about all the delicious sweets, candies, cakes, and ice creams that were on the cards and the boards. The colors were stimulating, and I spent many happy hours with my father and mother over this board game.
Now that I have my own children, I have enjoyed watching them (ages 2 and 4) play "Candy Land" again with me. The game has not changed much, and it is still as colorful as I remember. I see that it makes them happy and I understand the educational value of this game better as a parent.
It teaches taking turns, color recognition, counting, matching, hand-eye coordination, along with providing a chance for quality time with parents. I wouldn't reccommend leaving young children alone with the game. It is best to play it with at least one adult (even a grandparent!), for supervision and guidance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Isn't the Same, March 4, 2009
Katie (Adena, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
This game was something I was anxious for my little cousin to experience since I had such fond memories of playing it as a child. When it was purchased however I was extremely shocked and disappointed by the changes. The gingerbread men had wider bottoms that overlap the board pieces, and the graphics were horrible. My favorite characters like Jolly and Grandma Nut were completely unrecognizable, and Plumpy was nowhere to be found. Plus there was a beaver, where'd he come from? My cousin enjoyed the game but I felt bummed. The nostalgia is just not there with this version. Why are they ruining all the great games with their ugly changes? Maybe it's just me and I focus too much on the looks of things, but the new version just didn't cut it for me.

I suggest buying the retro version from Wal-Mart or an old game board online. My cousin enjoys the older version so much that we rarely use the newer designed board.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic kids game., January 6, 2000
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
I remember playing Candyland as a child, so it is another game that has passed the test of time. It is simple, and it does not require reading skills, so very young children can play the game. It is good for practicing colors and for taking turns and following rules. I do feel that the game is a little long, especially for the 3-year old kids in the recommended age range. Some of the rules, like getting stuck until a certain card is drawn, makes the game rules a little more difficult to follow, so in that way I would recommend it more for a 4-6 age group. A 3-year old can play it with a lot of supervision, but some of the rules are hard to understand at that age - especially when they can draw a card but can't move their game piece! The game is very inexpensive, and therefore the quality of the actual game is not great. I agree with another reviewer that a "classic gold" edition with wooden pieces and a durable box would be a wonderful option for someone who would like the game to last. It would also be nice to have a nice spot to put all of the cards during the game and for storage. Despite the length of the game and the durability factor, I would still highly recommend this classic game to parents with small kids, especially those in the 4 - 6 age range.

1.0 out of 5 stars They have RUINED it., June 6, 2011
Lisa G (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
My husband and I remember Candy Land and were excited to play it with our 3-year-old. What a disappointment. They have ruined the game.

- There is no longer any white space on the playing board. The path used to be made of large squares that wandered through a white/pastel candyland. Now, every inch of the board is covered in super-saturated graphics that make it hard to see the path, for us adults. It's like Where's Waldo but instead you are trying to find the path.

- They have also made the squares smaller and put more of them on the board. Why, oh why, would they make this game LONGER? It's supposed to be a kid's first game. None of us could hang in there for the ETERNITY it took to get to the end.

I am hiding this and going to look at yard sales for an older version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the 2002 version as pictured, June 28, 2012
This is not the 2002 version of Candyland pictured. It is the newer Candy Land - The World of Sweets Board Game. The reason I ordered this online is because the stores only carry the newer "World of Sweets" version. It does make a difference to me because I am basing my daughters birthday party off the 2002 characters, since that is the only party supplies available. The new characters have a different look, and they dropped Mr. Mint for the Duke of Swirl. They also have different areas of the game such as Cupcake Commons. If you don't care what version you are getting, the game still works the same as the older version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old version was better, July 25, 1999
This review is from: Candy Land - The Kingdom of Sweets Board Game (Toy)
I loved this game as a child, and it was with great delight that I purchased a copy for my son. However, I was disappointed with the artwork on the new board. The characters look too cartoonish and the board has lost some of the childlike beauty it once had. I tossed out the new one and went to a second hand store and purchased an older copy.