Size: 56 Ounce|Change
Price:$5.84 - $78.99

on February 3, 2013
Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels.

Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round.

I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes."

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 56 oz bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion.

There can be only one.
2020 comments|270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
I bought the $9.99 50 oz M&M from costco. It has an imprint where it is made and distributed while this one from Amazon does not have Any. The one from Costco has a nice and shiny and no crack appearance while this one from Amazon is uneven, dry, cracked, etc.. I would not be surprise if this is imitation. I have sent the container to consumers affairs, and the are very interested on this case. UPDATE: I tasted the one from Costco and this one, I am telling you that they are different. I checked each and every candy from Costco and not a single one had a chip, while this one, at least 25% are chipped, dry, uneven shine, easily chipped, if they were not originally etc...
on June 13, 2013
The M&M's were broken and not sealed properly, as in a lot of the M&M's were not fully coated but rather had holes of chocolate and many looked like they had melted then cooled or something. It is sort of weird eating them when so many are not properly coated. I have a picture I could post if I was allowed to here. I guess this was a bag of M&M SECONDS from the factory or something as an insane amount of them are damaged. Also, for some unknown reason, it says I cannot return them on Amazon, so for some reason I bought this big bag of broken, subpar M&M's and have no recourse whatsoever. Let this be a warning to others...and I seem to have no way to contact the seller either, as the seller feedback button has disappeared...
on March 20, 2011
I've ordered these twice now. The first bag for Christmas.. then another bag for personal munching.

The first bag was in great shape. Not many imperfect little candies.. the second bag has a LOT of split candies, I'd guess it at 30 to 40 percent.

Not sure what would cause them to split.

Neither bag had melted candies, all where intact with bright and shiny candy shells, all were tasty. Arrived promptly.

Just a heads up if you are planning on serving to guests.

If for yourself, zip top bag for easy storage!!
on September 14, 2009
My two vices, if you want to call them that, are coffee and chocolate. I keep both in the house at all times. M&Ms are just very satisfying when the chocolate craving hits, and it makes sense to have the biggest bag on hand if you crave it a lot! This size is also ideal for a party. I like that these bags are reclosable. Some chocolate has hydrogenated oil, but not M&Ms! Maybe food coloring isn't ideal, but oh well, they are such a happy snack! And they are easy to enjoy -- M&Ms don't make a melty mess like a chocolate bar. If you purposely put some in a warm place, the chocolate melts inside the crispy candy shell, which is a yummy sensation when you eat them!

My stars and review are for the product only. I really wish Amazon would start to carry these at a comparable price with prime shipping (especially with subscribe and save!). Until then, I stock up when they go on sale for eight bucks at my local Target, drugstore or grocery store.
on October 26, 2015
same as other reviewers, many were smashed,this item was stored poorly they had a white haze over the surface of the m&m's that is indictive of being stored in a location were tempatures would fluctuate greatly or old stock. the best by date was not ledgable.so dissapointed
I would not put in candy dish for party,.. if I saw them in a candy dish at your house I would think they were there for years.
SEE PICTURE FOR QUALITY
the haze doesn't show up well in pick but can still see crap m&ms
review image
TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 11, 2014
It's hard to believe that I'm still eating M&Ms 60 years after I was first introduced to them as a little kid. And what's also hard to believe is that they're still the same size and have the same taste. If you've observed candy bars over the decades, you'll have witnessed the phenomenon of the amazing shrinking bar, one that grows smaller every few years. (At first I thought it was just that I was getting bigger and the candy bars looked smaller. But I've been about the same size for 40 years and the candy bars have continued to shrink.) But not with the M&Ms. They haven't shrunk at all. (And then there's the steroids variety––the peanut variety, which are much larger than the regular ones.) Plus, their great taste makes them quite addictive. The only change I've noticed is the adding of blue and the phasing out of tan. In addition to the wonderful taste of this candy, having a variety of colors is great. Several years back I decided to set aside the blue. Eventually I had a huge plastic sack full of blue M&Ms. My wife thought I was crazy. I probably was. Then one day I decided to eat them and for weeks I feasted on blue M&Ms. They were still fresh.
on October 21, 2013
I opened the shipping container to find this bag of M&Ms inside another clear plastic, sealed bag. The manufacturer packaging had a tear in it and the M&Ms were spilling out in to the other plastic bag. This was intended to be part of a gift with a candy dispenser (stay tuned for that review). You can't give someone a gift of a bag of candy with a hole in it. Ugh! So angry.
on February 18, 2014
I have purchased M&Ms for a long time in various sizes and types of bags. Far and above, Amazon has the 56-oz. bag for the cheapest price anywhere I have checked. In fact, the 56-oz. size is not often found in local stores. I was very pleased with the freshness of the product and will certainly purchase this again as I need.
on February 26, 2014
Just as I expected out of a 56oz back of M&Ms... This really is a BIG bag of them... I bought these to share with my housemates, and I feel like we can eat and eat without making a dent. They came right on time with no damage to the bag. If I ever get to the end of this bag I will certainly think about ordering them again!