5.0 out of 5 stars this needs to be said.
The people giving this album one-star reviews because Ke$ha "has no talent" etc, have a very simplified understanding, I think, of how records like this (and her first) get made, and how difficult it is.

Published on January 8, 2011 by Devin P. Oneill

3.0 out of 5 stars An 'Animal' extension, nothing more
Published on December 5, 2010 by MisterMusicFan

5.0 out of 5 stars this needs to be said., January 8, 2011
This review is from: Cannibal (MP3 Music)

First, the majority of the work here is in the production. She was at least partially involved in this process, probably on the creative, if not the technical, end. This becomes clear if you watch any kind of in-depth interview with her, and if you compare her sound to others, and to her influences.

Second, writing "meaningless, catchy" pop songs is not easy. I know this because this is something I do. Packing this kind of brain-sticking power into snarky, compact rhyming couplets, and stringing those into a song in an attractive cadence and with a juicy melody (autotuned or not; it doesn't matter-- should we not use electronic instruments? do we live in the stone age? if it sounds good, do it) is not easy. or lazy. it's very, very hard. that's why people get payed extraordinary amounts of money to do it. Try it sometime.

Her image and personality are all part of the package too. Say what you want about her; she's interesting. Statistically, probably more interesting than you. If not, you should work on becoming famous, because in that case it shouldn't be too hard.

This is an extremely addictive, ass-moving, impeccably produced dance record with wit and provocative power (judging by the bristling reactions to her lyrics i keep hearing), and that, despite the opinions of many of these reviewers (I don't know what their experiences are with making music are; I won't assume) is not something simple, effortless, to render incarnate, though Ke$ha may make it seem so. It isn't genius; it isn't the best out there. But it's a respectable and well-crafted work of pop, and I'm not sure how many people actually know what that means.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Ke$ha, you will love "Cannibal", If you don't, well..., November 27, 2010
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
There are to types of people: the one's who like Ke$ha, and the one's who don't.

First off: this CD won't turn around any haters to her side, nor will she gain any new fans that didn't like her debut disc "Animal".

"Cannibal" is like the separated at birth twin sister to "Animal", the beats, song messages, and vocals are consistent and similar in every way. So if you liked "Animal" you will like "Cannibal". Ke$ha sings about bad boyfriends, partying, being who you are (even if you are freaky) and the beauty of her life.

The nice thing is that this disc is 9 songs short, no filler to be heard. I would say the production on this disc is touch more interesting than "Animal". My favorite song is "Blow" which literally chops up Ke$ha's vocals in a really unique way. And even in the title track "Cannibal" you can hear a glimpse of Ke$ha's real vocal power in the bridge. Every song is entertaining and Ke$ha always pulls out crazy lyrics that you wouldn't expect, especially on the song "Sleazy".

The only song I would skip over is "Grow A Pear", were she uses words like "vag" and "mangina". The song is catchy but somewhat grating. It is similar to "DINOSAUR" from "Animal" because it is so cheesy and outrageous.

With Ke$ha you get no apologies. She is who she is. Her songs are outrageous and electro-trashy. But you have to admit she is original. Most artists sing about how classy and rich they are, and don't even admit they party hard. Ke$ha seems to stay true to her Tennessee trailer trash self (and I mean that in the nicest way). The most self-revealing song about her life would have to be not shockingly "Crazy Beautiful Life". Somewhere behind the Auto-Tune, glitter, and stockings ripped up the sides is a girl with introspective, talent, and wit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loves it, November 22, 2010
Antonio Romo (ARLINGTON, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
Its def not supposed to be taken as a serious piece of musical and lyrical artwork. The lyrics are well written albeit they are fun and catchy.. I like this girl, she does what she does and says what she says and I feel she is still finding herself.. but then again aren't we all trying to find ourselves? Thumbs up on this. Wish her some amazing success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ke$ha is Who She is, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Cannibal (MP3 Music)
Much like the Pontiac Aztek, you either love or hate Ke$ha - there's no middle ground.

Personally, I think she's creatively dirty and ridiculously entertaining. Her vocals may not win awards, but she can put on quite a show.

Also, if you've ever been to college, you'll find her songs aren't as irrelevant as you'd think...

Try the previews. Her songs have a good beat and never fail to make you laugh.

3.0 out of 5 stars An 'Animal' extension, nothing more, December 5, 2010
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
Short and sweet EPs seem to be the hot commodity nowadays, with everyone from Lady GaGa to Flo Rida to electro-pop tartlet Ke$ha releasing `albums' with fewer than 10 tracks. It's unclear what they're supposed to represent; Lady GaGa's `Fame Monster' went from previous-album-extension to special edition to placeholder LP to more or less full-blown second album in a series of weeks, and Ke$ha's `Cannibal' may end up doing the same, depending on its success and how many singles it produces.

Packaged as both a deluxe edition with `Animal' and separately as its own EP, `Cannibal' essentially offers more of the same, and doesn't diverge radically from the boozy electro-party of Ke$ha's debut. Opener and lead single "We R Who We R" is a fizzy, upbeat romp very similar to the four hits that came before it, but it serves its purpose and will get most parties started. If you're getting fooled into thinking she's taking a different route lyrically because of the vague `be yourself' theme, don't; boozing, sexing and partying are all still the highest priorities here.

The title track rides a booming beat to a questionable metaphor (and off-color Jeffrey Dahmer reference), but remains passable ear candy thanks to its soaring chorus and peppy backbeat. "Sleazy" is a so-so hip-hop cut, while "Blow" makes such heavy use of auto-tune you'd think it was manufactured entirely on a computer. The latter, however, makes unique use of the vocal effects and ends up being a solid thrasher.

Although her pounding party jams are what she's known for, Ke$ha is at her most fascinating when her vulnerability shines through, as the stellar "Hangover" and "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" displayed. The blend of melancholy and electronica has been responsible for some truly excellent songs, and "The Harold Song," `Cannibal's only ballad-ish track, is example of this. It leaves one to wonder if the world's impression of Ke$ha might be different if these types of tracks were ever released as singles.

Of all the unused `Animal' demos Ke$ha could have included here, it's unclear why she chose "C U Next Tuesday," a rather average mid-tempo hip-pop number. The silly but infectious "Mr. Watson" or bewitching "Run Devil Run" would've been far better choices, but at this point it's highly unlikely they'll see official release. The moderately dubstep-sounding "Animal" remix is alright, but highly unlikely to earn repeat listens.

`Cannibal' is mostly just `Animal' leftovers, and while in its complete deluxe edition form it's a pretty satisfying parade of electro-pop, it's not worth shelling 8 or 9 bucks over on its own. `Cannibal' may end up being treated as Ke$ha's second album, but it shouldn't be; despite its handful of pretty good club jams, it does nothing that `Animal' didn't do better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rata tat tat on your dum dum drum..., December 14, 2010
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
This "album" is EXTREMELY catchy. I would rate Sleazy as probably the catchiest, followed by Cannibal, Grow a Pear, and finally Blow. C U Next Tuesday was on the deluxe Animal anyway, so that's a repeat. The Harold Song laments Ke$ha's lost love, which is something that surprises me. Under her party girl, trashy attitude, there is a real human being who has regrets and heartache like the rest of us. This song isn't exceptional, but it helped me relate to the singer as a person. We R Who We R has been on the radio for a few weeks, and frankly the chorus annoys me.. particularly toward the end "DJ turn it up up up up up up." Too excessive. Otherwise, this mini-album is top notch.

I highly recommend, in this order:
Sleazy
Cannibal
Grow A Pear
Blow

I would love for them to incorporate Sleazy or Cannibal to Dance Central, it would definitely be killer!

4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars It delivered what I wanted, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
And what I wanted was a fun, sarcastic, and irreverent record. I was simply hoping for uptempo music with a chunk of humor thrown into it, and that's what I got. I didn't expect vocal performances that rival Lady GaGa or Rihanna. Her music is generally on the techno/electro side, and playing with vocals within this genre is incredibly common. I greatly enjoyed her first CD for it's lack of seriousness, and this CD is very much the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the Lyrics, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Cannibal (MP3 Music)
People need to understand that she is not going to write deep meaningful songs. Best line of the CD comes in the song We R Who We R when she says DJ turn it up
It's about damn time to live it up I'm so sick of being so serious
It's making my brain delirious! I'm just talkin' truth." She is just putting out music that people can dance to and have a good time. The only problem I have is this album is that it is short only 9 songs. I wish it was longer. 9 songs leaves you wanting more I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the traditions and style of "Animal", December 16, 2010
Bald Wookiee (Kandiyohi, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
I really don't get why people were expecting this to be a deep meaningful album, especially after they have heard "Animal." I expected more of the same, and that is exactly what I got- no complaints here. You don't have to agree with her messages or lyrics (and no, just because you buy the album, it doesn't mean you agree with her); I bought this album simply for the catchy beats and easy-on-the-ears lyrics, where I don't have to think of the underlying meaning or hidden messages of the songs. I bought this to listen to in the car- something I can bop my head and sing along to, yet still enjoy hearing this in the clubs!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Twisted Sister From The Post-Pop Glitterbomb, February 1, 2011
Jay Murphy "Jay Thing" (Landover Hills, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cannibal (Audio CD)
Sister album, that is. Ke$ha needed more material for her increasingly popular concert/parties so she (with a little help from her friends) dashed out eight new tracks- a perfect sister CD for "Animal". The first three songs from "Cannibal" are trash pop jewels. I love the irreverent Jeffrey Dahmer reference in the title track. It's simple in melody (both instrumental and vocal), silly and fun. First single "We R Who We R" initially put me off a bit it sounded so much like "Tik Tok" but after a few spins, I grew to love this anthem-like update. I dig the use of AutoTune so obviously on this song (and others), amplifying the plastic aspect of Ke$ha's music and persona. "Sleazy" features a K rap, a minimal funky drum lick and a refrain that always amuses me, "Rat tat tat tat on your dumb dumb drum. The beat's so fat gonna make me come..." Ke$ha uses the word `dumb' repeatedly throughout so it's best to let go of your preconceptions of what `art' is or isn't and just enjoy her. She can also reveal a more personal and sincere side with heartfelt songs like "The Harold Song" and "C U Next Tuesday". Like Ke$ha herself, you'll either love or hate the ridiculous, pun-filled "Grow A Pear" which could be seen as "D.I.N.O.$.A.U.R."'s rude twin. A fab remix of "Animal" brings the EP length album to a close and the adventures so far of Ke$ha full circle. Like the girl says, "It's still party time." Here's to humor and good times.

Cannibal