chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer

on November 14, 2000
This is an excellent book covering all aspects of meat preservation. If you are a person that doesn't want to be at the mercy of wild prices then buy in bulk and start putting it away using this guide.
on January 7, 2014
I love pastrami and to make it you need to corn the brisket first, which is essentially brining the beef in salty water for at least 5 days. One dangerous backteria that salt alone can't inhibit is Clostridium botulinum. C. botulinum produces a toxin that will give you botulism, which is very bad. The fix for this is to add a little sodium nitrite (not nitrate) in the form of Instacure #1 (93.75% salt, 6.25% sodium nitrite, red color so no one mistakes if for table salt) to your brine. My big concern with this book is that the recipe for corning beef calls for Saltpeter, which is potassium nitrate. The "ate" in the word nitrate tells you that this is an old recipe that's not as safe as it should be.

I'm sure this book at the top if its game in 1975 but now it seems a bit quaint. I have to ding the book 2 full stars just for the saftey shortfall. It's still full of good information though, just do your homework.
on November 15, 2013
In this age of prepper madness I see the sense of being prepared. Not being prepared for the end of the world, like so many people think we are trying to do, but being prepared for emergencies such as prolonged power outages, floods, bad weather, and any emergency that causes one to need to depend on stored food and other items. This little book is a golden guide to getting started on lots of canning, curing and smoking of meats. Not just for emergencies, but to eat anytime you feel like having it. I have enjoyed trying these recipes and am pleased with the results. You can even tweak them some to get extra flavor.

I'd recommend this book to anyone with prepper blood or just common sense enough to see what a good idea it is!
on November 27, 2015
Good information and a great read. I bought it as a "new" item but it came as a noticeably "used" item. The cover was a little ripped and there were some notes by the previous owner. And the biggest clues that I know it was definitely used? It still has the public library card in the sleeve in the book and public library stamps on it. That being said, I could still read it fine and the information is still good, I just did not like how the book looks
on May 30, 2013
I bought this book as an addition to the library in the bug out trailer. I have bought quite a few books on different subject and can now fill a book case with them. I got this one to get the recipes for curing and smoking so I could lay in the items needed to do these things. I do like the recipes and the ingredients were very easy to find and stock up on.
on June 29, 1999
This book is a classic, and should be on the book shelf of every person that is involved in home producton and storage.
0Comment23 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
This is an awesome instructional book. These kinds of books are keepers and should be passed down from generation to generation. Very important information for those who wish to be independent folks.
on July 15, 2013
This a great book for being self reliant. It teaches you all you need to know. I would definitely recommend it.
on August 12, 2013
This book is so full of ideas and recipes that it will take me years to try them all. Easy to read and follow.
on October 31, 2008
Great fo any who want to Learn how , or just to know teh First ways of keeping , and storing food.