5.0 out of 5 stars loving it! at least so far!
Published on August 16, 2010 by kimmiebee

2.0 out of 5 stars What goes around comes around
Published 9 months ago by Cast Iron

5.0 out of 5 stars loving it! at least so far!, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry (Paperback)
Well, having been canning for several years now, I opened up this book and was instantly hooked. There are so many delicious recipes I'm not sure where to begin. But more importantly, I'm so very glad that the author uses minimal amounts of sugar for preserves, and like myself, is more concerned about the fruit tasting like real fruit than adding copious amounts of sugar to ensure a certain gel consistency. Also, she relies on granny smith apples and peels for almost all of her jam/jelly recipes, as well as in others. I can't wait to start trying several of these recipes, and have a made a list for my next visit to the farmers market! yummy! UPDATE: I've made the 'classic peach jam', 'peach and cilantro salsa', and the 'nectarine jam with vanilla bean'. These were all great, but the nectarines with the vanilla bean was magnificent! My husband couldn't stay out of the kitchen while I was cooking it up, and he normally isn't into jams. After several 'tastings' I finally managed to get it into jars. we'll see how long this lasts at our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your Grandma's canning book!, August 17, 2010
What a beautiful, unique book! So many good tips--the easy jelly straining method is definitely easier than Grandma's messy jelly drip bags! There are mouth-watering recipes for unusual entrees using the preserved products. The evocative photographs blend with the text to make this a book to curl up with. Salsa verde is so simple; and the plum cardamom jam is to die for. With flavors like these, my pantry will never be the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite canning/preserving/pickling book, September 4, 2010
A friend bought this book for me as a gift, and it's a real winner. I've had it for only 2 weeks and have already used 4 of the recipes: Dilly Beans, Achar Segar, zucchini bread and butter pickles with ginger, and salsa verde. The salsa verde is great, and the zucchini pickles smelled heavenly as they were going into the jars. I only just put the achar segar into the fridge, but I'm looking forward to Indonesian fried rice tomorrow.

The recipes are clear, nicely presented, accurate (as far as I can tell), and there's a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and herbs represented. I haven't tried any of the meal or desert recipes yet, but those look tasty as well. All in all, I'm really enjoying this book so far and think that it will be my go-to reference for canning, preserving, and pickling from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using what you can!, November 24, 2010
Doggone Reader (Jamesville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Kudos to Krissoff for including unique recipes for canning, but I am even more appreciative that she also includes recipes for using what is canned. And her sense of humor is as spicy as her recipes! The yields are smaller than most canning books which is perfect for people new to canning so they are not discouraged with having to can 20lb of something. My garden is barren this time of year, but I can hardly wait to try her spring selections. Although I gave this 5 stars, I have found the index to need some ammending to include listing basic ingredients ... for example, if you grow/have tomatillos you better know they go into salsa verde because tomatillos are not in the index. But then I am a librarian and actually use indices ... others may not.

PS - The photography is very inspirational!!

4.0 out of 5 stars New Recipes for Preserving, December 20, 2010
This is a good book for someone who wants to step outside the usual home canned basics like applesauce, strawberry jam and tomato sauce. Some basics are included but most are what I would call "gourmet" types of food such as Brandied Sweet Cherries With Red Wine, Hot Cumin Pickled Summer Squash, Slow-Roasted Fig Preserves With Lemon, and Spiced Cranberries. The recipes are divided by seasons and decorative tags are included in the back of the book.

I'm a more traditional "canner" but there were some recipes in in this book that interested me and I do like that the author includes recipes to use with the preserved foods. However, I do recommend that a beginner invest in something like The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (or get information from the U.S.D.A. or local county extension office) in addition to Canning For a New Generation because the Ball book gives better information about canning and preserving that is important for food safety. Krissoff gives some information but I felt it wasn't thorough enough for someone with no previous knowledge of canning. However, for new and fresh recipes this book is a good resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite, July 4, 2011
I've only been canning for a year, but I've had the opportunity to try several recipes from different sources - and this book has quickly become my favourite. As a new canner, I've found the recipes both accessible and inspiring, and I don't anticipate tiring of them as I become more experienced. I particularly appreciate that the jam recipes are relatively low in sugar when compared to many recipes that rely on commercial pectin.

Most of the jam and jelly recipes do not rely on commercial pectin, although some use Pomona's. As a result, many of the recipes require additional steps for thickening. For example, canners are sometimes instructed to strain out fruit pieces before reducing remaining juices on their own; they are sometimes instructed to submerge a jelly bag filled with apple scraps or citrus peels in simmering jam; or they are instructed to use apple pectin stock, which must be prepared in advance on its own. These additional steps can create extra dishes and extra labour - but considering the beautiful results, I have found them worthwhile. The jams from this book are bright tasting, jewel-toned, and pleasantly (but not too) loose.

I've been particularly thrilled with the Rhubarb Orange Jam - in my opinion, it alone is worth the price of the book.

So far, I have only made sweet recipes from this book - which is unusual, because I generally prefer to make and eat pickles. For that reason, I can't speak to the quality of its more savory recipes - but I'm very excited to try them.

2.0 out of 5 stars What goes around comes around, September 26, 2013
There's nothing new under the sun here: just a so-so book with fairly traditional recipes sprinkled with 1990s additions and plenty of 2010 attitude. Liana Krissoff reframes traditional recipes by moving minor ingredients that have long been a part of preserving into her titles, `a la current menu descriptions ("Spiced Apple Butter," "Peaches in Vanilla Syrup"), thus making her recipes seemingly new. Most of them are not; many are already widely available.

The book's title, too, misleads: "Canning for a New Generation" is limited to water-bath canning, which leaves out all preserved meats, fish, stocks, soups, sauces, and low-acid vegetables, except those that are pickled or fermented--some pretty big exceptions.

I have to wonder what Krissoff's editors at Stewart Tabori & Chang were thinking when they allowed her to take potshots at groups of people she evidently holds in low regard. Oughtn't books to invite in as many readers as possible, rather than exclude or set out to insult some of them with flippant language like "canning [used to be] for old folks and cranks and separatists" (p. 9) and "I flipped through some canning books at Barnes & Noble (public libraries also being the domain of old folks and cranks--though not separatists so much)" (ibid.)?

If you're new to preserving and want to start with jams, jellies, marmalades, and pickles (the easiest entry points), read Linda Ziedrich's extraordinary and wide-ranging books, "The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves" (2009) and "The Joy of Pickling" (2009) for beautifully and clearly written recipes and front material by someone who has been preserving for more than forty years. If you're an experienced preserver and are looking for further frisky jam and jelly recipes, pick up a used copy of May Byron's "Jams and Jellies" (1917; repr. 1975) and Catherine Plagemann's "Fine Preserving" (1963). None of these deeply knowledgeable writers claims, as Ms. Krissoff does, that her "recipes . . . are for people a little bit like me." They write (or wrote) for the world, and the depth of their experience and humanity is evident in every one of their recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, July 30, 2011
I took the suggestion of somebody else and got a bunch of canning cookbooks from the library and then decided which ones I liked best. This one is at the top of the list. The layout is great. One recipe per page. And, the author includes the entire canning instructions for each recipe, instead of referring the reader back to previous pages. And the recipes are organized by the seasons of the year so that in the spring, you are looking at recipes for fruits that are in season in the spring, etc. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars really great book, October 14, 2010
I love all types of canning, and this books is great because it not only gives you the canning recipe, but another recipe to use your canned item in. The only thing I would have liked to see differently is that she doesn't have any recipes that use standard fruit pectin, but rather want you to extract the pectin from a bunch of apples. I wish she had put the alternative recipe if all you have is the pouched pectin. But otherwise, the book is awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome recipes, September 17, 2010
I have only been canning for a few months and had only purchase one other canning book before this one. I loved that this book offered up a lot of contemporary and unique recipes, and still had a lot of helpful tips and instructions for beginners. Every recipe I've tried so far has been delicious, and has canned the exact amount specified. The peach jam with lemon thyme and almonds is worth the price of the book alone!

Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry