Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 25, 2014
This is great book for a canner with a little experience and is not a canning guide. The book provides recipes and should not be considered an instructional manual and came highly recommended by our county'c cooperative. If you are looking for a way in which to incorporate your preserved items in an array of dishes in addition to preserving recipes, this book is for you. Good photography, pages of food labels at the back. Well packaged and promptly delivered.
on September 24, 2012
This is a great book.
Beautiful pictures, clear instructions, and a result that is tasty.
It's organized by season for easy access but also (obviously) has a index.
I also really like that the end product is small, 2-10 jars per application.

This is truly a great book, even for beginners (in my opinion).
on January 15, 2011
Techinically, his book is organised into Seasons, with each season being divided into Fruits and Vegetables. In each sub section within each season, you will find recipes for canning or preserving various fruits/veges and also recipes using the end product. There are the usual instrucitons on how to can and a comprehensive section on tools and equipment required for canning. For my money, this book is a very good all round resource written in a clear and concise manner, accessible to all levels of cooks interested in home food preservation.

And did I mention the recipes? Boy, do they sound good. How about Strawberry Jam with Thai Herbs, Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender or Tomato and Basil Jam with Sherry Vinegar? There are lots of imaginative recipes utilising the preserves you've "put up" as well.

The book is not particularly glamorous or highly illustrated but the photos that did make it to the book are good (not wonderful, but good) and the book has a pleasing, homely style. The author has shared some of her personality with the reader by giving a little introduction to each recipe and I find that a delightful aspect of the book.

All in all, I'm pleased with my purchase of this book and will be utilising many of the recipes. I understand the author also has a web site, so if I find any problems with any of the recipes (as another reviewer has indicated), I know that I will be able to contact the author for clarification of my issues and that's a good thing!
on September 5, 2015
This book offers many recipes that in the past would have required way too much sugar for my liking. The author has greatly cut the amount of sugar and she offers recipes from other cultures that are very appealing.
on October 24, 2014
This is a really lovely book - the recipes are unique and much more contemporary than I found in other canning books. The honey bread and butter pickle recipe in here is the hands down favorite with my family and friends. There is also a ginger pear preserve that is out of this world and will be in every Christmas package I give. Love, love, love this book.
on March 15, 2013
Unfortunately this is not the book it appears to be.

The canning recipes are for hot water canning only. There are NO pressure canning recipes. Not one.
The book is essentially a jam making and pickling book. However, if you are hoping to make some interesting new jam and pickle recipes to preserve your crops or windfalls you will be very disappointed. None of the techniques described are new or innovative.
Many of the recipes require the addition of unusual ingredients which increases your costs and rather obviated the point of canning your produce in the first place.

You will be far better served by plenty of other books so, unless your library is crying out for a fairly redundant repetition of your current knowledge of simple vegetarian preserving techniques, look elsewhere.
on July 12, 2012
here are the things i love about it and what make it diffrent ffrom every other canning book ive ever read. or attempted to read and got super bored within the first chapter.

1. the author doesn't assume you have the budget or want to buy any fancy canning equipment. i didn't buy anything other than jars and i've been just fine. sure there are a couple things that i will probably get because they would make life sooooo much easier. ie: jar lifter! hot jars are no fun to try to get out with regular tongs.

2. after reading the intro and first chapter i wasn't scared of giving my family botulism. and i had a thorough understanding of the basic principles of preserving.

3. the recipes are creative yet appealing. if you've never heard of kim chi/kimchee then you're missing out. yes there are some recipes that call for ingredients i dont keep in my pantry/fridge but if you want the same old boring things you already eat then you should stick to your 'trusty Ball Blue Book". in addition to the canning recipes there are recipes to use what you just made.

4. instead of using pectin the author uses green apples for their natural pectin- this reduces the amount of sugar needed (i feel like most conventional recipes use WAY too much added sugar) and retains the natural flavor of the fruit. this is an extra step in the process but to me the reduced amount of sugar is worth it.

5. well balance sweet/savory-- there are a variety of recipes not just the usual sweet jams and preserves. there are pickling recipes and salsa recipes etc. delicious.

i have already made 2 of the recipes, loved both and i've only had the book for one week. the only thing i could say that could be a negative is that there aren't a TON of pictures but I prefer this to the alternative: a ton of pics but barely any useful recipes. the second thing would be that i have gotten less than the amounts the recipe said i would. but this is only after two recipes so we'll see.
on June 23, 2012
I absolutely love this cookbook. The book is extremely informative and helpful -- you could use this as an introduction to canning, or if you are more advanced then it still provides so many creative and thoughtful recipes. And it's not just canned fruit/vegetable recipes either! She also gives really great recipes for things to make using the products you have canned or preserved!

I read this whole cookbook cover to cover and have a list of the two dozen or so that I really *must* make this year. I keep reaching to this cookbook repeatedly to the exclusion of almost all my other ones. She makes canning fun, and provides inventive recipes like the strawberry jam with thai herbs (which started out really strong, but over the past two weeks has mellowed out and is now delicious), or "classics" like watermelon rind pickles that I had never even heard of before (I'm from California...) but were great to discover. I highly recommend this book!
on June 19, 2011
I have about 5 books on the subject of canning and this is my favorite. The instructions are clear, photography beautiful and flavors unique. I have made a few jams and a chutney and all have turned out fabulously. I'm looking forward to some pickling this summer and may never buy canned goods from the grocery again!
on August 8, 2011
I bought this book for my Mom and she's been raving about the book and exciting new recipes found inside - she's an old school jelly /jam maker and loved the new ideas. I think her only complaint was a few of the recipes made smaller batches than she's used to making.