Cannot remove battery cover on Cloud b twilight sea turtle I didn't keep the box for instructions on how to replace the batteries, however it looked simple enough, just unscrew one screw to remove panel. Well, I've been trying for over an hour and the screw does loosen, the screw doesn't come out completely, just comes up a little, but panel will not come off at all. What am I doing wrong?
asked by KH on May 9, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
Ok, after another hour or so, I finally got the screw out, which comes off with the battery cover panel. It looks like the problem was small fibers, I'm assuming from the plush part of the turtle, had wrapped around the screw and was making it difficult to release from the screw hole. Hopefully, if anyone else has this problem, they will see this message and not have to spend as much time as I did to replace the batteries!
KH answered on May 9, 2011

A
vote
I used a flathead screwdriver in my left hand and pushed it under the black plastic lip of the battery pack while I used a Phillips head screwdriver in my right hand to unscrew. This method was very effective. The screw has a washer on the back and comes out with the plastic covering.
Schneider-Hof answered on February 3, 2013

A
vote
Exact same issue here too. I saw the cloud b site said to pull up on the black tab while unscrewing. This worked for me.

How do I change the batteries in the Twilight Turtle, Ladybug or Sea Turtle?

Place unit on its back shell on a padded surface.
Pull up on fabric flap on bottom of unit to expose the battery compartment.
Check to make sure that power switch is in "off" position.
With a Phillips Head Screwdriver, remove the single, small screw holding the battery door in place This screw is located next to the word "open" on the battery compartment door.
Lift up on the small black tab with upward pressure while unscrewing.
Remove old batteries.
Install new AAA batteries. Please confirm that you have placed the batteries into the proper positive and negative orientation as identified in the battery compartment.
Please confirm that the batteries have been completely "snapped" into the battery compartment.
*CAUTION: Improper battery installation may cause the unit to short circuit or malfunction.
Re-install the battery compartment door.
Tighten the screw to secure the battery compartment door.
*Note - Please do not over tighten the screws. Over tightening the screws may cause the screw holes to strip.
Replace fabric flap over battery compartment and press to fasten.
Return the unit to upright positon.
You are ready to use your Twilight Product.
Brandy answered on April 24, 2012

A
vote
This is ridiculous. Same exact problem, but I cannot get mine open. Even with the same effort as other posters have mentioned. Calling the company now how can they continue selling the same, defective product???
Candy answered on October 6, 2012

A
votes
Same issue here, but the fabric of the toy was over the screw hole. Really had to pull with a small flat gerber tool to get it out.
K. Drysdale answered on May 15, 2011

A
votes
Same problem. Very poorly designed.
Gajah Duduk answered on February 24, 2013

A
votes
There is a design flaw in the battery compartment. Standard size AAA batteries don't have a long enough "neck" (the little nub on the + side) to touch the contact properly. According to the Cloud B website Ray-o-Vac batteries may work better. Personally, when I spend $22 on a freakin' light up turtle I want to be able to use whatever AAA batteries I want. Sometimes fuzz blocks the contacts too. The battery cover needs to be replaced to properly hold down the batteries in order to get it to work properly so you can't test the batteries before putting the battery cover back on. In a pinch you can fold up tiny pieces of aluminum foil to get the contacts to touch the batteries properly. I'm a gonna open up a can o' MacGyver on your glow-in-the dark-tail, Light Up Turtle!
Hendrik Gideonse answered on July 14, 2013

A
votes
The trouble with designing consumer products is that they must look pretty, which interferes with usefulness.
Nobody has mentioned stripped thread in the screw hole, but that must happen unless you're very gentle. I've half a century of experience as a technician and I would always gently lift the thing that the screw is holding down so as to help the screw to come out. No matter how gentle I am, I strip the thread sometimes, so if you do the same, you can rely on the fabric to hold it in place, or find a slightly larger screw.
I. K. Mcallister answered on November 10, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

ARRAY(0x9d8e0240)