Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style: Base|Change

on August 19, 2013
After the firmware update improving the autofocus speed of the EOS M and the price drop, I decided to pick one up to replace my point-and-shoot camera that I did not use very often because I was never completely satisfied with the image quality. I originally bought the camera with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake lens. While I was very impressed with the 22mm lens, I decided to add the 18-55mm lens to my kit for those times when focal length flexibility was more important than aperture. I found the 22mm f/2 to be impressively sharp and contrasty for such a small and cheap lens. The 18-55mm is not as quite as sharp as the 22mm, but is very good for a small zoom lens. It appears to be even better than the EF-S 18-55mm included as a kit lens with Canon's Rebel DSLRs, which itself is an impressive lens considering the price point. The EF-M 18-55mm also seems to focus faster than the 22mm f/2 - the increased DoF is probably helping here. The build quality is impressive, with a metal shell and metal mount. The extending portion and filter threads are made of heavy-duty plastic and feels very solid without any play, even when extended.

Do not expect this lens to have the image quality of one of Canon's L lenses, but for the price it is a fantastic match for the EOS M. If you already bought the camera with the 22mm lens, consider adding this to your kit and completely replacing that point-and-shoot.
on November 27, 2012
When the EOS M cae out I purchased it immediately. It's smaller then a lot of the point and shoot cameras available, and the quality of the pictures are great. When I bought my camera it only came with the 22m lens. It's a fast and nice lens, but for every day use, I needed a zoom. The range is great, although it would have been nice to see it go beyond 100mm. Its relatively sdmall and fits in my camera bag for the EOS M. Don't forget to buy the 52mm UV filter to protect it.
on April 5, 2013
Pictures are sharp and compare very well to pics from my full size L lens. Focusing is smooth and silent and are a great combination with the EOS M. The 22mm that came with it is nice as well but zooms are always handy when you don't want to carry your whole bag with you.
on February 11, 2013
All in all, I am very favorably impressed by the 18-55 STM. It is sharper and smaller than the ef-s 18-55 Canon offerings. It's also sharper than Sony's NEX 18-55 (I've owned all of these). It focuses quickly and silently. I had no trouble with focus noises in a couple of quick videos I did of my son playing basketball. The only apparent drawback of this lens is that it will flare if there is a direct light source in or near the frame (especially the sun). I know it is a common complaint about Canon, but they really should have included a hood with this one.
on November 9, 2014
A decent, low cost addition to my portable camera kit. It's a pleasure to use. It focuses plenty fast, feels well built and seems nicely matched to the EOS M body/weight.

Whereas the 22mm pancake lens is so good that it lets the sensor provide all the quality it offers, this lens holds back the sensor a bit.

And that's my only real gripe - it's just not as sharp as I'd like. Admittedly most of my shots have been toward the long end of the zoom and with smaller apertures for wide depth of field (on a tripod); maybe it does better at wider angles and with an aperture around f8-f13...
on January 2, 2014
This is a good lens for the EOS M. Optically very good. Not quite as nice as the 17-40L I have for my 7D, but close enough. The EOS M is so much more compact, that it travels with me on business trips that the 7D will not. With the 11-22, this lens covers most of what you need for street and landscape work. After processing, the images are fabulous. It is also good for movies. There is no focusing noise.
on December 3, 2013
If you have an EOS M you probably got this lens with it. If not, if you got the 22mm instead, then get this lens now. The optics are typical Canon mid-range quality. This is not an L lens but has good sharpness and contrast. It appears to be well built, the lens is all metal (at least the touchable parts) and zooming is smooth. At the current pricing, it is an absolute steal.
on December 26, 2014
I love this lens!!! The EOS-M came with the prime lens, but THIS lens is the one I use ALL THE TIME. I rarely even use the prime lens anymore. This lens takes good photos whether close or far (within reason). Do yourself a favor and get this lens! You will be glad you did :)
on August 27, 2015
Meh. Compared to the EF-M 22mm pancake, this thing's contrast, sharpness, and depth of field is average at best. It basically does a half-decent job at the different focal lengths, but nothing well. Would recommend the EF 50mm f/1.8 or EF 40mm f/2.8 instead - same price range, better MTF curves, better apertures and the things that come with it (low light ability, shallow depth of field, faster shutter speeds). Returned it after 1 week.
on September 12, 2015
The build quality of the lens is very good. The image quality is just so so I think. The fixed prime lens has better image quality so the zoom follows the usual image quality drop off when you go to a zoom. It is convenient to have, especially since there weren't other M lens available when I bought it.