985 of 1,051 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Never Ever: Rent, borrow or use this Camera, if you do, you will have to own it!
Canon 5D Mark II

Never Ever: Rent, borrow or use the Canon 5D Mark II, if you do, you will have to own it. It's that good!

Pros:

Crazy high ISO performance
Fantastic amazing image quality you have to see to believe!
Great menus, sharper, brighter, easier to read then 40D
Video, did someone say video? I love it! You will need...
Published on November 12, 2008 by Grant Brummett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but consider alternatives
If you are heavily invested in Canon and own lots of their lenses, then your decision will be whether to buy the Canon 5D 1, or the new Canon 5D 2. In this regard, I would say the 5D 2 is the way to go because of increased ISO sensitivity, higher resolution, etc etc.

VIDEO?
PLEASE do not buy this camera because of the video because you will most assuredly...
Published on March 26, 2009 by S. Alam

‹ Previous | 1 2 342 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Full-Frame Camera: Don't drink Nikon Cool-Aid just yet, November 12, 2009
In real world and in the studio, I'm shocked at the image quality difference from my old 5D I bought 4 years ago. I'm kicking myself for not buying this earlier. Color fidelity, contrast, sharpness, color balance, focusing all better. I'm surprised that the extra resolution really did help. The large files have a lot of headroom for mistakes.

While most reviews for this type of item are rationalizing a large purchase, here it goes anyway. When I first purchased the camera, I had cold feet and was ready to return because of the price. But after 2 months, I would buy it again even if I broke it.

Alternatives are really overrated. Nikon has a far more aggressive marketing team than in the past that exaggerates differences, so take what you read with a grain of salt. Lots of people are drinking Nikon Kool-Aid right now and defend them to the death. Overall Canon is a better SYSTEM, although I openly admit things I like better about Nikon: button layout, viewfinder, body design, built in infrared flash control, built in flash, and the 14-24mm lens. But other things: low resolution alternatives, poor third party support (pocketwizard and adobe raw), overprices lenses with no midprice alternatives, poor video or no video, etc. For instance, Canon makes a 17-40L for much less than the 16-35L. A 70-200 4 IS or no IS, 70-200 2.8 IS or no IS. Nikon only makes the expensive versions, which is why I always see Nikon owners with cheap lenses or mid-prices Sigma Lenses. Canon owners almost always have Canon lenses. Anyway:

Pros:

-Outrageous RAW headroom for mistakes, far beyond the 5Dmk1. In outdoor portraits with strobes, I can still get a high quality images when the strobes don't fire and leave me with a -2ev shot. When making outrageous changes in Photoshop, files respond beautifully. RAW files are monstrous, however.

- Picture quality out of camera saves serious time in photoshop.

- The screen is finally useful in judging exposure. You can clearly see if the skin tones are over and under exposed, hotspots in a poor lighting setup, etc. You'll still see more detail in shadows on the computer, however.

- ISO sensitivity: one of the best today. I shot out of a car window at twilight in a spooky looking town and got amazing shots at 6400+. I shoot more for fun since I've had this camera.

-Great customization and cool menu controls.

-I laughed at video but am starting to use it regularly at weddings. Amazing quality of expensive video cameras. Tricky to learn with autofocus. Must use a tripod.

- Even more detail out of my lenses (except 100-400)

- Everything improved from old 5D

- Much better image quality than 1Ds Mkii and iii.

- Canon lenses a much better value than Nikon.

Cons

- MINUS ONE STAR - second position of power switch was broke when arrived, so I couldn't use any manual features. Had to order a new one.

-Pre-planned obsolescence; just look at the 7D with built in speedlight control, extra video switch, auto-focus system, pitch-leveler, 1.0 viewfilder, etc. The sensor on this thing is still WAY better, and I needed another camera body now. But, it has features such as video that are way ahead of the competition.

- File size is getting ludicrous, especially when you need to export to TIFF, but WORTH IT. Unlike 7D and others, however, that extra file size actually has way more detail. Other high MP cameras can't justify their file sizes. sRaw not much smaller.

-My 100-400mm L Canon lens cannot keep up with this high mp, full frame camera. Your worst glass will look REALLY BAD with this camera. Even sigma lenses look better. Looks much better on an APS-C.

-I still sometimes miss the focusing system on my old 20D. Maybe I'll buy a 7D for bird shooting. People really exaggerate the differences in focusing systems, but it honestly could use improvement.

-Viewfinder not as good as Nikon's or Canon 7D.

Notes: shoots with 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm L, Lensbaby, Sigma 12-24mm fullframe,

5.0 out of 5 stars I have climed the top of the mountain and it is good, December 21, 2008
rocketscience (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Yes, I have the mk2 in hand. About 5 days now. Pictures after processing looks very similar to the original 5d, which is good because I don't have to change my workflow AT ALL. Of course the differences being size/resolution, and .. now I don't have to have a different workflow for any ISO above 400. I am actually using auto ISO - previously unavailable on the original 5D - because the images look so good. It has not yet gone above 3200 in Auto mode (I have fast glass). It's smart enough to know your focal length and seems to generally go by the 1/focal-length rule for shutter speed, adjusting ISO at it needs to.

Video? look on youtube for 5dmk2 Blueray Heli. Make sure you watch in HD.

There's a couple things to get used to. 1) the shutter button is much more easy to press than the original 5d. I've taken a few accidental shots so far, but I'm learning. 2) the LCD resolution is fantastic. But in mixed light, esp. with fluorescents, the LCD shows kind of funky. Perhaps it is showing the true nasty nature of fluorescent lighting mixed with flash or sunlight.

Files are huge, transfer is slow using usb2 now.

No black dots so far. No banding. Don't believe all the hype. I'm sure people have problems, but it's been blown so way out of proportion.

As far as Amazon, they're having trouble meeting demand like everyone else. The high prices are not theirs. If you don't like Amazon's price then go pick it up at a local retailer - you know the one with the big yellow sign - with a 10% coupon and cancel your order if they upset you so or if you really can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this again, rather than the Mark III, May 27, 2012
I was looking for a back-up camera and it was either another 5D Mark II, or 5D Mark III. I went with the Mark II again, and here is why:

1. Even though the Mark III has 51 Auto Focus points, vs the 9 points on the Mark II, I use the center focus anyway, so that was not important.
2. Mark III has 6 fps, vs 3.9 on the Mark II. This is not important to me either, since I don't shoot sports, or things I need that type of burst rate.
3. 1.2 more megapixels per shot. No biggie, since I already shoot at medium size raw files. I'm not sure how many people actually shoot at 21, but I hope they have large externals! lol
4. Mark III has better video capabilities. Since I don't use my camera as a camcorder, (and I can't imagine doing it anyway, but I'll probably end up doing so, since that's how it goes when I'm like, "Why would anyone do that...") it nothing to me.
5. You can now do HDR with the Mark III. Nothing special to me, since I use NIK HDR anyway, and on top of that, I can handhold the Mark II for the 3 shot exposure and do just fine without alignment problems. I used to be so careful to always use a tripod and move to manual focus after setting focus, but now I see it's a waste of time. Anyway, no need for HDR for me.
6. A much higher ISO with the Mark III. But again, I rarely shoot over 800 ISO; and the bad news for the Mark III is that there is no difference in noise from the Mark II to the Mark III at up to 800 ISO.
7. You are going to pay $1300 more for the Mark III, and if you are in my shoes, get no better camera. I took that extra $1300 and bought the 135mm 2.0L with a nice B&W 72mm triple coat UV filter, and still had $200 left in my pocket to buy some other equipment!

Hope this helps, and please don't take this as a slam on the Mark III. It's just not worth the money to upgrade for me (and if money were no object, I'd have done it. Heck, I'd have gone with the 1D). For some people, it will be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Camera, January 12, 2009
The 5d Mark II is a very sturdy pro camera. The original 5d was the camera of choice for many full-time National Geographic photographers because of its outstanding image quality coupled with a small portable body. For the Mark II, Canon has added weather sealing, a host of dust reduction features, an expanded ISO range, and increased resolution (no small feat), along with a handful of other features. ISO 5000 on the Mark II is comparable to ISO 1600 on the original 5d, in my opinion. This camera is a workhorse for anyone who needs pro camera features coupled with portability. Ideal for hikers or the traveling photographer. Black dot issue? 100% fixed with a recent firmware update from Canon. This camera is, for me, more intuitive to use than the D700 and the pro features are worth the extra money over the EOS 50d. An 8gb flashcard will hold about 250 RAW photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrade from 5D, December 14, 2011
I have been a 5D owner since it came out about 5 years ago. It is still a wonderful camera today. I purchased the 5D MKII mainly for it's video capability. Before I even started using the video, I put it to work in my domain, architectural still photography. To my surprise even without a grip it felt better for some reason. The viewfinder is sooooo much better. I was aware of some other changes with the CMOS sensor. One of my first shots made me a believer. Deeper and richer dynamic range. I feel it's a step closer to a more film like rendition. The menu is a bit more of a curve than I anticipated.. All in all of the photo options and improved quality are a valid improvement. The price on Amazon was one of the best I could find for a reliable supplier after much research. The following is not a review but a warning! I was on DPReveiw and a list of vendors came up while reading the review of the 5D MKII with a note to support our sponsors. I clicked Best Price Photo Com. The price was offered in the $1,879, I checked Resellers Ratings Com and they had an excellent rating so I ordered the 5D MKII from them. 2 days later they called to "verify" my order and "skillfully" as in slickly offered some other add ons which I declined. Then he slickly asked why I ordered the import model. I said I didn't, he said I did. My screenshots confirmed that they DID advertise the USA model number. Heres that catch about Resellers Ratings. They don't post information about cancelled orders. Best Price Photo is aware of this and they know that anyone with a brain will cancel once they are aware of the scam and not be able to post a negative review about them on ResellerRatings. BTW, BPP did offer me a special price for a USA model that was less than what I paid for here at Amazon. So why did I pay more? I can answer it in one word "Trust", Amazon Yes, BestPricePhoto NO! My recommendation buy this camera from a reputable company.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best DSLR So Far, June 29, 2009
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
The 5D Mark II represents the future of digital SLR photography/videography. I was fortunate to purchase my kit with the EF 24-105 f/4L at its actual list price of $3,499 through Amazon and sold by 6 Ave Electronics on December 29, 2008. That offer was only available for about 6 hours. Now that I have used the camera for 6 months, I would even now pay a significant premium over the list price to have it. In my opinion it is worth much more than the list price in terms of advancements in low-light, low-noise and quick exposure setting features. It also has markedly improved picture quality over all other Canon DSLRs with the exception of the 1Ds Mark III ($7,000 street) which it at least matches.

This camera isn't perfect. The 5D Mark II does have a lower frame rate than some other very fine cameras at 3.9 frames per second. Nevertheless, this frame rate has been fine for my purposes, including wildlife and bird photography. I am able to catch hummingbirds in flight. Unless you are a professional sports or action photographer there is simply no need to consider the much more expensive 1 series camera bodies.

I would have preferred more focus points than the 9 visible and 6 invisible points this camera provides, though in normal lighting conditions there has been no problem getting fast, accurate focus. In very low light where the shot requires an ISO of 3200 or 6400 and no flash, the camera does sometimes have trouble, especially with moving or flat, low-contrast subjects. But considering that we wouldn't even be able to get an essentially noise-free image with another camera at these settings it seems a small criticism.

This camera also lacks an internal flash. Some people may feel this to be a loss, but with the extraordinary low-light capability of the 5D Mark II I haven't missed this feature at all. When I want to use a flash I can easily attach one, and that seems to be a rare event now. The ability to capture low light images without the exposure problems flash often causes is an enormous improvement for me. And when I need a flash I always have my 580 EX II available, though it does add some weight to this body.

The high resolution of this camera will show up flaws in any attached lens. Thus, you are going to have to use high quality glass to get the most out of the body. Those who are not able or willing to make an investment in "L" quality lenses would probably be just as happy with a 50D or similar bodies from other manufacturers. On the other hand, this camera's ability to register most Canon lenses and eliminate problems like peripheral illumination has proven remarkable during my use.

Notably, there are many other improvements over the original 5D, which was a wonderful camera that many people would still be very happy with. The Mark II's new display is outstanding; while a few other cameras now offer the same 3 inch high resolution LCD, the new display allows the user to enlarge the image enough to get a very good idea of what the final image will look like in print. When using auto ISO settings the camera makes very good choices to capture the best image possible. In fact, the algorithms this camera's DIGIC 4 processor uses for all its settings seem superior to any of the others I have looked at. And if you don't like the choices the camera makes, it is completely customizable, including 3 user settings on the main control knob.

Then too, you do have to read the manual and take time to learn the many controls and settings that are available. I am convinced that several of the negative reviews on this site are simply the result of not understanding the full capabilities of this camera. For example comments about the "sharpness" of photos fail to take into account that the camera comes with certain sharpness settings by default, but that these can be changed and images sharpened to an almost garish degree. Other comments about supposed failings of different portrait mode settings or white balance adjustments likewise seem not to recognize that nearly every setting on this camera can be modified to match the operator's desires. This is a highly advanced instrument which requires some study before taking it out into the field.

One way to judge a camera body is by the people who choose to use it. The outstanding professional photographer and professor of photography, Pete Souza was named official Whitehouse photographer earlier this year; his history-making first digital official Presidential portrait of President Obama was made using a 5D Mark II. Numerous photo journalists, wedding and event photographers and others who make their living with their equipment are using 5D Mark II bodies. I am also seeing this camera being used more and more by sports photographers, despite its 3.9 fps rate.

I have said nothing about the video capability. This was not a reason for my purchase, but I have been impressed by the quality of the videos this camera produces. I did not at first recognize what a game changer high def video capability in an SLR would become. It is interesting that Canon has now issued a firmware upgrade to allow full manual exposure control during videography which in my experience works very well. You must, however, have a good quality computer with a fast processor and high end video card to be able to edit the high def output.

Like any other camera, there are a few small things Canon could have done to make this an even more remarkable improvement over the original 5D. But taken as a whole, for my money this is far and away the best, most feature rich and useable DSLR available for professional and serious photographers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera overall!, May 17, 2011
First, let me start this off by saying I'm not a brand fan boy of any flavor. I've owned the Pentax K20D, K200D, Canon 40D, Nikon D90, D300 (twice), D700 (thrice), Sony A850, Olympus E-5, Canon 1D3 and now the Canon 5D2, all with associated lenses and flashes over the short course of three years! All great systems, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

That said, I finally found my home in the 5D2 because I settled on what I like to shoot and I liked the *specific* features the 5D2 give me.

First, let's get it out of the way - the 5D2 is not, and never will be, a Nikon D700 when it comes to autofocus performance - The D700 is a great overall camera, suitable for pretty much any type of photography except really candid / quiet settings because its mirror slap is like a small robot clapping (pretty loud).

The 5D2's AF performance is pretty good at the central point. I use the 24-105 f/4 (great lens), the 85 f/1.8 and a Zeiss 35 f/2, and for the AF lenses I've never really had much of a problem with either the central point or the outer points in decent light. In lower light, I have to use the central point. Many people complain from this because one either has to use focus-recompose or shoot centrally (and wider) and crop. Both methods doable, and both methods imperfect. Frankly, it really doesn't bother me, but coming from owning the D700 I know the feeling of great AF.

Instead of repeating everything about great image quality, lots of MP for cheap, etc. I'll just list some things I think the 5D2 does better than the D700, which is still the camera it's most compared against.

5D2:

- Has custom modes right on the dial. Frankly, I love how they work and I really dislike custom settings on the D700. Whereas Canon lets you register custom settings and quickly turn to them, Nikon makes you register basically two different banks of settings and you'd better remember which bank you need to switch to to modify which parameter. Also, the D700 has the annoying habit of "auto-updating" the bank if you happen to change a setting, whereas the Canon reverts to the bank's last-registered settings if you happen to temporarily change something then switch modes.

- Does Live View the right stinking way. With Canon, if you're in Live View and you press the shutter - the shutter actually exposes the image and you're back to LV...no mirror slap (unless you're using flash). The D700? Forget it, no matter what you do, you're greeted with mirror slap. This is HIGHLY ANNOYING to a landscaper or macro photographer! Essentially with the D700's LV you're limited to using it as a focus aid and that's it - MLU is a separate mode on the dial, so you're going to induce mirror slap movement on some shots.

To further this, Canon does a great job on their LV when combined with bracketing. It's nearly the perfect setup for doing tripod-based HDR (except for being limited to only 3 shots, but so far that's enough for me). Basically, place the camera in 2-sec timer mode, bracketing (I use 3 shots at -2,0-+2 EV). I register this on a custom mode. Now, when I enter Live view and after framing, I press the shutter, the camera counts 2 sec then gracefully takes three exposures with no mirror slap - Awesome!

- Loads of MP - I've been amazed at how much I've cropped into some images and still result in more MP (or slightly less) than a full, uncropped D700 image.

- Beautiful video - After using the D90 video for a while, frankly I wasn't expecting too much until I viewed some sample 5D2 video - looks AWESOME. I only care about video for my kids, but it's nice to have amazing high quality video in the camera.

- Silent shooting modes. They really help you "disappear" into the crowd, instead of walking around like the clapping robot that the D700 sounds like :D A nice side bonus.

- Smaller RAW files - Want the flexibility of RAW without the size? Go with SRAW for a 10MP image! Great for "around the house" shots, in case you come up with something awesome (accidental great shots with two young kids are possible) and need the editing leeway but don't want to fill your memory card with huge RAW files.

Don't get me wrong, I love the D700 - Great AF performance and customization, great great flash system and commander built-in, faster available FPS, a bit higher ISO performance (not much), and the AF points cover a bit more of the frame I believe.

But, for what I like to shoot, Canon has the lenses I like (24-105 IMO beats any of Nikon's FF walk-arounds and the 85 f/1.8 Canon is definitely better than the Nikon variant) and the 5D2 gives me superb image quality and performance. Highly recommended. I deducted 1 star from the camera because of its sub-standard AF, lack of built-in viewfinder shutter, bracketing exposure limitations and other small faults, but it's still a highly-recommended camera for its intended purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., December 21, 2008
The dreaded "black dot" phenomenon that I keep reading about does not seem to be happening to me. I have tried to duplicate it and have had, well, good luck. Duplicating the black dots in low light high ISO conditions with pinpoints of light would be bad luck. For those of you out there who have this, I am sorry. I have had many lemon products in my life. I think my karma for that has hopefully run out till my next life.

So far the camera is performing as expected which is amazing. I have jumped from measly 20D to this and I am amazed at the leap. i am also very glad I waited. I almost bought a 5D months ago and all the props here has to go to my brother, who soundly instructed me to wait it out. And wait I did. I ordered the camera in November and got it only a few days before Christmas. Quite a present.

Of course you need a few good lenses with this camera to capture it's full essence. My old EF-S lenses fro my 20 D are NOT compatible. Heed this warning people. Move to the Canon L series lenses. Hopefully they will last a lifetime. I am not sure when, if ever I will need another SLR. 21 megapixels is quite a lot. I am sure at some point there will be 500, 800, 1000, even several thousand megapixels. lets just hope I can use my eyes as lenses then and plug the memory card to my head to download the images. For now I am set with this.

The screen is a vast improvement over the 20D which was almost a measly after thought. I have bigger screens on tiny point and shoot cameras. It also has live view which comes in handy. The digital video is flawless, although I have not figured out how to do autofocus with it yet. It may not be able to, which would seem odd to me. The video is a bonus for me but autofocus for it seems an obvious necessity.

I did almost drop it while attaching it to a new tripod. God was smiling at me as I did catch it. Be careful! It is like a small fortune for this thing.

One final note... Do not buy the camera for this price. It sells for around $3500.00 with the 28-105 l series lens. I am not sure how these jokers think they can sell for this much and I would love to hear from anyone who paid this much.

Remember the body sells for about $2500.00. Try B&H Photo.

5.0 out of 5 stars So close to the perfect camera, October 20, 2011
I've been using a 5D Mark II since it's introduction back in late 2008. I preordered one as soon as it was available and have been using it since the beginning for wedding and portraits. I've used this camera along side the original 5D and 1Ds Mark II. I've also loaned a 1Ds Mark III on occasion.

After extensive experience with this camera as well as lower end cameras and higher end cameras, my summary of the 5D Mark II is that they almost had a perfect camera. This camera is like the superstar athlete with a bum knee. The bum knee in this case is the focusing system. In order to protect sales of their higher end cameras, Canon intentionally held back the focusing capabilities of this camera relative to its higher end offerings. The focusing system is basically the same 9 point AF system as the original 5D had (which is the same as the 30D AF), only with faster hardware. The digic 4 processor will calculate focus predictions quicker than the previous 5D. The AF hardware is limited though and no more accurate than the 5D that came before it. For a $2500 camera this is very disappointing.

The focusing system will give you the most trouble in these situations:
- Using fast aperture lenses (F1.4 or so)
- Using the outer focusing points
- Using AI servo to track subjects

The focusing system will give you the least trouble in these situations:
- Using slower lenses
- Using the center focus point
- Using one-shot auto focusing

So the wildly varying opinions on this camera's focusing system exist because different users use the camera in different ways. Some users will love the focusing performance while others will loathe it. Odds are, they are both justified opinions.

That said, this focusing system is better than any Canon camera costing less. If are you upgrading from any digital rebel or 10 series body (10D, 20D, 40D, etc), you will NOT be disappointed here. If you are using this as a second body to your 1-series camera, the focusing system will be a bit of a letdown. Remember that this camera costs about $2000 less than a current generation 1D camera.

Now with that caveat out of the way, there is VERY little to pick at with this camera. Image quality is stunning (on par with the $7000 1Ds Mark III). Noise is low across the board. Even at higher ISOs (3200-6400), it cleans up very well in Adobe Lightroom and is very usable. H1 (12,800) and H2 (25,600) are mainly for "show" and are pretty bad. At lower ISOs, noise is exceptionally low and the images are sharp and clean. Even almost 4 years after its introduction, this camera is still has the best image quality money can buy for $2500 and that is saying a LOT.

Functionally the camera is excellent. In-camera processing and image review is VERY quick (high speed CF cards recommended). Menus are accessible and easy to understand. Microadjustment makes ill focusing lenses far less problematic. HD video is beautiful and great for *basic* video needs (advanced videographers might look elsewhere). Build and durability is generally very good, though I wouldn't recommend dropping it. I've dropped mine twice (broke something both times) and had it repaired. Today it runs like a champ though. The automatic sensor cleaning generally works good, though I would recommend picking up a bulb blower for the stubborn particles.

As a professional tool, this is an exceptional camera, just be aware of the limitations of the focusing system. Overall though Canon did an awesome job with this camera. Nearly 4 years after it's introduction, it's still the tool of choice for many professionals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which HDMI cable to choose, December 27, 2008
The 5D instruction manual says that "The HDMI Cable HTC-100 (sold separately) is required" to connect to the 5D to an HDMI monitor/TV.

That cable goes for $69. I bought the Mediabridge 5ft Mini-HDMI to HDMI Version 1.3b Category 2 for only $12 and it works fine.

I think (maybe someone can verify this) that any 1.3b mini HDMI to HDMI cable will work just fine.

By the way, the camera is awesome. I have had it for a few days now and I love it. It shoots beautiful pictures at 3200 ISO, so there's really no need for a flash. And it shoots usable (but noisy) photos at 25,600 ISO.

That's the end of the review. Now a bit of advice on buying this camera:

My advice (for what it's worth) is don't overpay just to have this camera a few weeks early. You're going to be using this thing for 5 years, so whether you get it in January or February doesn't make a big difference. I was lucky enough to buy it (in kit form) from Amazon directly and not from some unknown electronics store.

Whatever you do, avoid J&R in New York. If you are thinking about buying the 5D from them please send me a note and I will explain what happened when I pre-ordered the camera from J&R (I ultimately cancelled my order and I have resolved to never buy anything from them in future.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 342 | Next ›