Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style: 5D Mark II Body|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on February 19, 2009
I sold my Canon 1d Mark II on ebay and bought this one. Took various test shots and noticed that some shots were a bit out of focus. So i set up a grid at a 45 degree angle and noticed that the camera was focusing past the focus lock point. I tested with various back focusing test online and sure enough it was back focusing. A while ago i had this problem with my Canon 10d and had sent it to canon for repair 3 times and they said they could not fix it and i was too picky. Well if i am going to spend 2700 on a camera with 21 megapixels, darn tootin i am going to be picky.

5 stars to Amazon, i had the camera 25 days and they let me return it. I will always buy from Amazon just for this reason, a very good return policy, even on digital cameras where most give you only 10 days then a huge restocking fee.
44 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2009
There's been enough reviews on this camera so this isn't a camera review it concerns sending my new 5D Mark 2 in for cleaning.
Canon no longer cleans the sensor, mirror, or focus screen for free if it's still under warranty. They told me they changed that and it is now $100 for cleaning. The California center is less friendly then the east coast center. The main dial on top of the camera, the one for manual, AP, etc was loose as well. They wouldn't tighten it unless I paid for the cleaning, they also wanted to replace the focus screen and wanted 200$ to do that. The focus screen cost 40$ and can be purchased through a number of qualified dealers and changed out by yourself in 10 mins.
I've dealt with Canon for years and it used to be that the service center charged nominal fees if anything at all, all that has changed.
It's a wonderful product but be careful if you need to send it in, even if it is under warranty expect a bill. Call them first so you know what to expect.
Greg Lewandowski
1212 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2012
Having made the transition from medium format professional film cameras to cropped sensor digital (i.e. the T2i), I was looking forward to upgrading to professional digital equipment. Canon's 5D Mark II has dampened my enthusiasm for going into the full frame world.

Fully understanding that the Mark II has a less densely packed sensor than do cropped frame sensors, it is natural to anticipate that the Mark II images will be a little less sharp. Of course, the trade off was supposed to be that the larger Mark II sensor would allow for greater enlargement without pixilation or noise while delivering a flattering portrait image. That was the theory.

It must be assumed that my copy was defective and therefore not typical of Mark II quality overall, nonetheless the fuzziness of so many of the images was grossly disappointing. Originally guessing that maybe the 24-105 f4 L was the culprit I purchased additional lenses (e.g. 50mm f1.8, 70-300, 28-70). Some improved the sharpness situation (which did not speak well for the f4 L), and some did not. Even making the AF micro-adjustments did not help.

Ultimately, I concluded that the AF was performing erratically. That problem coupled with an apparently very soft copy of the f4 L and the less-dense full frame sensor, the net outcome was a great number of unusable out-of-focus images. This was particularly acute on shots beyond 15 feet.

What are my five Mark II disappointments? Defective AF, overly soft copy of the 24-105 f4 L, heavy weight of the Mark II, no real gain over the T2i in image quality when enlarging images, and the loss of my esteem for the quality control efforts of Canon on their professional line.

However, Canon should get credit, in the form of 2 stars, for making a less expensive full frame DSLR. They also get some credit for the bright viewfinder on the Mark II and its large LCD.

I have returned the Mark II and its companion f4 L lens (my appreciation to Amazon for their integrity and standing behind their sales). Instead of upgrading to the full frame line I am just going to buy another T2i (through Amazon) and hope that it will also be as tack-sharp as the one I already own. Of course the good part of this experience is that the EF lenses I bought for the Mark II are still useful on the T2i because of Canon`s foresight in making the EOS mounts substantially interchangeable.
on May 9, 2010
Well just bought the 5d mark II and brought it back. I had a old 5d and it's about the same with a few added features, in my opinion, not worth the heafty price tag. autofocus is not the best, still has banding issues, which I had with the old 5d. I've been 100% canon for a long time, Search the internet and you will find ALOT of reviews on FOCUS PROBLEMS. If you just shoot for fun and really aren't worried about sharp pictures then this is the camera for you. And I've seen first hand how canon customer support is. NO SUPPORT. Sorry you bought it, you own it. That should be there slogan.
on March 3, 2009
Great stills quality. Good ISO (but not excellent like the D700 or D3)
HD video mode sounds enticing but is practically unusable for pros/artists who demand precise control of the camera gear.

Is this camera built to shoot home videos? or for creative professionals? Please take away the Full Automatic video mode and give us control over aperture and shutter speed and ISO!
on May 17, 2009
I am a pro event/concert shooter and have been very happy with my 5D for the past 1.5 years. Last month I purchased a 5D Mark II and returned it 2 weeks later. I was experiencing intermittent issues with auto focus; specifically the camera would freeze up or just not respond sometimes while trying to focus. This occurred not in high speed or fast action situations, but in simple grip & grin portrait situations. I started reading the reviews and blogs and noticed that many users were complaining about this. The 5D is an excellent event camera and I will be waiting for the next generation of the 5D Mark instead of being a guinea pig for Canon.

On another topic, though I have owned every digital Canon body starting with the D60, does this stupid dioptor adjustment dial that Canon insists on putting on every body piss anyone else off but me? It's useless (I even wear glasses and have no use for it), and has messed up many key shots when the dial was inadvertently not on the center hash mark! In my opinion, it defeats the credibility of Canon's "pro-sumer" camera line with this gimmicky and worthless crap option! Why do they insist on keeping the dioptor adjustment on every camera body and for whose benefit?
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2011
Very disappointing camera. There is no auto focus function during video recording. You have to focus manually. So recording a moving object, is almost impossible.

The auto focus that the camera offers, works only when you are NOT recording (or the recording will be interrupted).

Unfortunality Canon has no plans to make a new firmware where auto focus is implemented.

Therefore I regret my purchase of my Canon 5D Mark II deeply.

Richard.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2010
To date all of Canon's full frame DLSR bodies suffer from the same problem. All the focus points are too centrally clumped into the middle 30% of the scene. No focus points are any where near the classic 1/3 frame composition subject locations. Sure you can crop to a pleasing composition, but you'll be throwing away many many pixels.

If you're a point and shoot bulls eyeing bozo you'll love this camera, otherwise avoid it and wait until Canon fixes the fatal flaw.
77 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2012
I know this is an awesome camera, but I've only had it a month and it's already falling apart! I'm off to the camera shop tomorrow to see if I can get it fixed. How's this for a start...a $2,200.00 camera falling apart in less than a month. I'm sure I will eventually love this camera, but right now I'm not at all happy.
55 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2012
I am not a professional photographer but I do enjoy taking pictures. The is my third DSLR and it is my first full frame camera. For the amount of money I spent and for being an Apple iPhone users for the past five years, I thought Canon would make the UI easier for users. This camera was designed by people who obviously were not thinking out side of the box. I would recommend Canon create a simply to use UI for smartphones and relate all user preferences and commands via the smart phone to the camera. I would love to simply speak to Siri and ask her to take my voice commands and communicate to the camera using USB, Wifi, or Bluetooth methods. The picture data would also be stored on the smartphone instead of the camera. That way, pictures can be easily sent to your Facebook, Twitter, or blogs. I am currently getting over 8 MBPS upload speed with AT&T's LTE system. This means sending huge amount of data is very possible right now.

Some of you may laugh at my review. Give it another five years.

12/1/2012- update
News released on 11/29/2012 By REUTERS

South Korean consumer electronics giant Samsung Electronics Co is taking aim at its Japanese rivals with an Android-powered digital camera that allows users to swiftly and wirelessly upload pictures to social networking sites.
The Galaxy camera lets users connect to a mobile network or Wi-Fi to share photographs and video without having to hook up the camera to a computer.

Wireless transfer to social networking sites by a camera. Check.
Maybe I don't have to wait five years after all.
99 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse