Canon 24-70 f/2.8 vs Canon 24-105 f/4 IS for wedding photography in a 5D mark ii Guys, I'm thinking about buying a 5D mark ii for wedding photography. According to your experience which lens will do better with the 5d mkii for this matters? 24-70 given its wider aperture or 24-105 given its longer focal distance and IS?

I haven't tried the ISO capabilities of the 5DmkII but I wonder if I will really miss f/2.8 to f/4 having the ability of rising the ISO. Most of the ceremony is at slow pace,so IS will be of use also.

What are your thoughts?

tnx in advance
[UPDATED] asked by Jorge Gonzalez Chau on November 11, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I have several bodies including the 5D mk1 and mk2. I also have both lenses you mentioned. Without a doubt the 24 - 70 is a more useful lens. The 24 - 105 is soft at f4. I find it only to be super sharp from F5.6. The 24 - 70 is fairly sharp when wide open at 2.8. It creates a shallow depth of field where you can blur out your background and focus only on the couple. Remember for a wedding you often dont get to choose your backgrounds during the ceremony. For me I much more prefer to use the 24 - 70. Yes the 24 - 105 is a great lens, so much so that i have 2 of them. But since buying the 24 - 70 I think its better. See images made with it here
www.visionphotographyinc.com
most were made with the 24 - 105 but the last three I think at the bottom were the 24 - 70.
K. Branch answered on November 26, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Any thoughts for general / home photography? I have a Digital Rebel XSI and recently bought the 70-200 mm F2.8 IS version mainly to photograph school events without the annoying flash, and take closeups of my rapidly-growing kids. I have been going back and forth between the two lenses (24-70 F2.8 vs. 24-105 F4.0 IS) but my instinct is that F2.8 is much better than F 4 even with IS. Any guidance appreciated from a professional.
Robert Stone answered on November 30, 2009
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The 24-70 2.8 is a magnificent lense. I would not even think of buying the 24-105.
Ronald M., RN answered on October 31, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Camerasmy cameras have been the rebel xti, the 30d, and the 5d classic. my second lens purchased was the 24-105. it stays on my 5d. i take it off for the 50 1.4, the 85 1.8, and the 70-200 2.8 is. sharp, u betcha, almost cant tell it from the primes, although i know that my 2 best lenses are my primes. i have had the 24-70 on my camera many times. my partner prefers it and he's very good. i have a shot of the city in porch light at 1/6 sec that is unbelievable. i am a full believer in is, and the 24-105 is the best walk around particularly for full frame that i have met.
Ned A. Lindsay answered on April 12, 2011
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product