5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for those who like to pack light (no pun intended)
Published on August 4, 2011 by powerop

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter, lacks obvious features
If you want to take your photography to the next level, buying a cheap flash is a huge step. It will change your perspective from passively working with the light around you to taking over it and controlling it you advantage.

Published 19 months ago by David M. Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for those who like to pack light (no pun intended), August 4, 2011
powerop (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon 270EX II Speedlite Flash for Canon SLR Cameras (Black) (Electronics)
I previously owned the orginial version, the 270EX, and I can say that the new version is outstanding and well worth the price. I use this on my 60D and can't begin to tell you how much more creative possibilities you can achieve utilizing the wireless capability of this flash. I would highly recommend this version over the original if you have a built-in transmitter like in the 7D, 60D, or T3i. If you like to be a minimalist and travel light, then this flash is for you. Its about the size of two decks of playing cards put together and requires only 2 AA batteries. Eneloops are the best for this.

One of the best things I like about Canon is actually this flash (previously the original). Its light, small and still does bounce flash (where you point the flash at a ceiling to redirect the light). It has manual zoom (only two settings though) so you dont hear the motor of the more poiwerful speedlites. But when they added remote shutter capability and wireless trigger I was sold before it even came out. What it lacked in swivel (turning left to right, critical for shooting in the vertical orientation), it makes up in being able to fire off camera. That alone opens up so much more creativity (place it behind the subject for a silhouette effect for example). This is the best deal under 200 bucks to venture into flash photography.

After playing around with it though, there are limitations I want to point out. The remote shutter is not wireless but rather IR line of sight kind of thing, and you need to be pointing the flash towards the front of the camera for it to work. Also, its always a 2 second counter, no instant shutter release whether or not your drive mode says so. On few occassions I get no wireless connection to the flash, but once I adjust my position a few feet or so I get it back instantly. For what it is, this still works out to be a whole lot of possibilities. With the 60D, I am able to fire both my built-in flash and the 270EX II off camera at the same time, and, change the intensity ratio between the two outputs (1:1, 2:1, 1:8, etc). Those with the T3i can do this too.

So there you have it. If you have built-in wireless in your Canon body and like to travel light, this flash comes with my highest recommendation. Otherwise, the original is just as good without the wireless. If you like making videos the new 320ex version might interest you with its modeling light, and while its a little bigger and heavier (4 AA batteries), its still a good chioce in my opinion. Hope this helps!

UPDATE 9.22.11 ***********

I discovered that I can fire this flash on-camera with high-speed sync up to 1/8000 sec on my 60D, which opens up some possibilites with freeze-action shots or isolating the subject with a dark background (see my "bee" pictures). There is a setting on the Flash Menu to enable this. You can also do 1st or 2nd curtain settings, and, evaluative TTL2 or average exposure. For the most part the flash does a very good job throttling up or down depending on the focus distance. I didn't know this before, but, since this is an automatic flash, the way to under or overexpose (darken/brighten) an image does not depend on the camera's exposure compensation, but rather the flash's exposure compensation (which you adjust in-camera). On a fresh set of batteries, this flash has a very fast recycle time and good burst rate that is able to keep up with my 60D for about 7 to 10 bursts before slowing down.

Off camera as a wireless slave, however, the sync capabilities get watered down a bit. Fastest sync is only 1/250 sec now, and the flash exposure compensation, while working as normal, really depends on where you setup the flash (the flash by itself doesnt know how far it is from the subject). I find I get better results when the camera and this flash are about the same focal distance away from the subject. Burst rate slows down too, before able to do the high-speed rate on-camera, now only capable of low-speed burst rate. Still, I adore this flash and take it everywhere I go, which is so easy because its so small. Sometimes I wish it had more power, but, adjusting the manual zoom to tele and/or upping the ISO helps. It is still about 2 times more powerful than the 60D's built-in flash (27 GN versus 13 GN). Oh for those wondering, you can remotely trigger your camera in front of you and have the flash fire as a wireless slave for the same photo.

UPDATE 9.26.11 *************
Started to play around with the wireless flash with close-up and macro photography over the weekend. I'm really enjoying this flash! I can see how important it is to have adequate light when you do really close up shots (see my other "bee" pictures). Having the ability to position the 270EX II anywhere is so liberating compared to using on-camera flash. You never get that dreaded half-circle shadow at the bottom of your pictures. Using bounce of course does help, but what do you use when you are outside? In any case, any of the bigger brothers, 320ex, 430ex, and 580ex all do wireless flash as well. It's just that this one is so small and compact, and the most simplest of them all (just 3 settings: OFF , Wireless Slave, and ON).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is..., October 29, 2011
Just picked this up and its my first off cam flash. I am maybe a year into the world of DSLR and itd really starting to take ahold of me. That being said, I am not a pro, nor do I plan to be. I just want to come home with some great pics, where ever I may roam. I put much thought into this unit having also considered the 320 and 480. So let me tell you why I went with this and what I think of it to help the non pro out there.

1. This unit is small! 2 AAs is outstanding. I can take it anywhere and have it all the time. From experience I know I would not have one ready to go if it were too big/heavy. I use a smallish cam bag that I can easily with this into with my other gear. It perfect for trip to Disney, the beach, or a sporting event and does not take over your life. In the bag I also fit a T2i, 18-200 with hood ON facing forward, extra batteries for all, cleaning equip, remotes, and if I really wanted to put a 50mm in I can. Like I said this is a small bag such that I can use just it, or fit the whole thing in a backpack along with anything else I may need. Its been my perfect solution after real world use and 3 dif bags later.

2. Cost was somewhat important, but with less than 100 seperating the 3 it wasnt really that big of a deal. If you look over the features of the 3 they are pretty similar until you get to the 580. Power of flash being the main dif. The video light almost had me on the 320 but considering I always have a flashlight close by that blows the canon away it wasnt practical given the size considerations. I also considered my possible long term goals and realized if I ever bought a 2nd flash I would want a 580, so having the most compact and the most powerful would make the most since given all situations.

3. Performance. I have read so much that says this is a glorified pop-up flash. It truly is not. So many times when I have tried to use the pop up I have been left with horrible results. So much so that I usually take video if its a moment I really want to preserve. In my initial testing the 270 lights a totally dark room (0 light) to a point that a pic is possible and usable. I dont know that it would win a contest, but it will be a useable pic. My concern with my walk around shoots is to get the best pic at that moment rather than the perfect pic possible period. I will never have a crew and 40 pound box of equipment, or a day to plan the perfect shot. I appreciate those that are good enough to make a living at it but thats not why I personally got into photography. This flash has already made me love flash and want a 2nd someday for various angles. The recharge rate seems good to me as I am used to taking more time to take a flash pic anyway. I really cant speak to the number of shoots from the batteries yet but I am and will be using the sanyos.

4. Unless you know that you are going to take up serious photography then this flash is a no brainer. Even if you are, with its wireless feature it will make a great fill flash paired with a 580 or other setup. If you have a T3i or D60 that can already control it, even better! I am already planning a future upgrade from the T2i just for the wireless flash feature after having this flash for only 1 day. Its that much better and that much fun to use flash.

5. If you do get the 270ex II I strongly suggest you get a snap-on difusser. I put mine on when I unpacked it and doubt I will ever take it off. Also if you do not have wireless sync, you might consider an off cam hot shoe cable. I have ordered one and not used yet, but some of the most interesting flash shoots I have read about use some way to get the flash exactly where you need it to be.

Anyway, thats my 2cents, hope it helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you recognize it for what it is., June 23, 2011
The 270 EX ii is essentially a 270 ex with one major addition: you can now use it as a slave. I had a 270 ex and while it is not very powerful it was a lot better than the on camera flash. I used it on my 60D to give me fill flash as needed. It was extremely limiting though because you couldn't swivel the head to bounce light side to side and the lack of a slave function became apparent quickly. With the EX II, the slave function means that the side to side bounce isn't as badly missed because you can just fire it as a slave and position as needed. It is really neat. Especially with the 60D's integrated wireless controller.

In a nut shell, small, light, cheap, effective and with the slave function it allows creative flexibility. Perfect for when you need a flash on the go without the bulk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter, lacks obvious features, December 20, 2012

That said, if I could do it again, I wouldn't have bought this one. There are two big disadvantages that I didn't understand when I bought it:

First, you would think the "wireless" controls you read about would negate the need for wireless controllers. Not so. What it really does it uses the pop-up flash to send a light beam to the Speedlite, which tells it to fire. This means the eye (right above "Canon" on the photo) has to be able to see the pop-up flash. Trying to find a place lit by the pop-up flash but which doesn't intefere with the photo itself isn't exactly amiable. Yes, it's wireless. But it's not what you might be thinking of. And it's not very useful.

Second, with this cheaper model you can only point the flash up and down. Shooting from the camera itself? Your options are to point it at the subject or bounce off the ceiling. You can't pivot it to bounce off the wall. Using the wireless feature? You'll basically have to point it straight up or right back at the camera. To do something simple like pivot you have to pay twice the price for the next level Speedlite.

I recommend instead buying a cheaper Neewer equivalent and a wireless shoe controller. You could get a very good Neewer for the same price and then control it with the shoe controller, opening up a world of options and allowing you to point the thing wherever you want.

It's disappointing because Canon has the ability to make it better but doesn't seem to have the drive to do so. Why are we buying third-party products to control flashes wirelessly when Canon could just build their cameras to do it? Maybe the next generation of models will be able to do some of this stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than camera flash, less than the better versions, December 8, 2011
Of course this won't be as grand as the next two higher flashes but it sure does a good job for me. I needed to take some pictures of some construction and it was much better than my regular popup. Out of the box I knew that it was going to be small and I know I read that you can stick it in your pocket it but it didn't hit me how small and powerful it really is. Three settings of on/off/slave. You can do a lot with it on and off the hot shoe. Nice stand like the other flashes for use as slave. I use a Canon 60D so I can use the camera as the master. You can get some nice off center lighting. You can use it to offset some side lighting as well it's IR so mostly direct line of sight. Overall it is small and compact. Will probably be with me more on travels instead of my 430EX II because I can stick the 270EX II in my pocket and it won't be too bright. You can make some changes from the camera menu once it's on the hot shoe. Takes two AA batteries and it cycled pretty fast with fresh batteries. I haven't worn them down yet so I can't comment on weak battery charges. Overall nice flash. Some people argue about just getting the 'better one', but like lenses, there isn't always a better one just what you are able to do with it. I recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a powerful flash with compact size... This is the one!, August 2, 2011
First of all, I bought last January a Canon PowerShot SX 30IS digital camera, the one with the 35x zoom lens.
While this awesome camera is still a p&s camera, so it comes with a small pop-up flash device, really not too bad if you just need extra light power for close shots or non really dark environments.

Even though, those crazy freaks at Canon issued the SX 30IS with an extra hotshoe... So, I became curious about how the camera would work taking pictures in real dark places. I bought this flash unit, even when it's pretty compact I consider the lighting quality it provides being more than necessary if you are constantly running in the business of night shooting or taking pictures in pretty dark places.
Also, it has the additional advantage of working with just two AA alkaline batteries.
Just be sure, that your camera bag has extra space or an additional pocket to place it... Remember, you'll never know when you may require extra flash power, so being a small piece it's of good advice to carry it along with your camera all th time...

Finally, I bought this device thru Amazon.com, received it promptly and in perfect condition.
I consider that the quality of my dark/night shots using the Speedlite 270 EXII has improved a lot, so I recommend it for anyone requiring some extra flash power as explained above. Thank you Amazon.com!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Flash, Big Performance, November 3, 2011
I received a Canon EOS 5 MarkII for my birthday. I love the camera. However, it does not have a built in flash. The camera takes wonderful photos at high ISOs so existing light is usually good enough. Sometimes you just need a little extra help. I have a larger Canon flash from previous cameras but I wanted something smaller. This proved to be the proper choice. It's small enough that I can attach it to the camera and, except for turning it on and off, forget it. On the occasions I've used it I have been more than satisfied with the results. I'm not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist. My subject matter is usually people and cars. I've had this unit for about a month and have been satisfied with all the photos I've taken using this flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight for travel photography., October 11, 2011
The flash is lightweight, small enough to fit your pants pocket. Thus, this is recommended for travel photography without encumbering yourself. Remote triggering works well. Excellent illumination at relatively shorter distances. The build is primarily plastic, but for me, as long as it works, plastic is ok. I do not intend to drop it anyway. And it also makes it relatively lighter. I would definitely recommend it for vacations.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNIFICENT !!!!!, November 28, 2011
Don't know why i waited so long to buy but it's a must have flash the Canon 270EX II does what it's design to do very well if you're a person that wants to travel lite this one fit's rite in your pocket don't skimp buy Canon flashes they work the best with Canon camera's thanks Amazon i got it in 2 days without special delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Canons smallest flash for EOS cameras, April 14, 2012
Rusty Sly (Riverside, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this primarily for taking snapshots of my 12 great-grand-kids. It does a nice, even job. I bought a diffuser for it from Amazon, also. I've owned many Canon camera since 1978, and have never had a major problem.

I use it on my EOS 5D digital camera. It recycles fast, and keeps up with my camera while chasing little ones around for a quick picture.

It's the smallest and lightest Canon flash, which is what I wanted, with features I'll probably never use. The head pulls out for normal lens focal lengths, and tilts.

Rate and Discover Movies