Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 5, 2010
I haved owned the Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras for nearly one year. I purchased this lens used for a very small amount of cash. After learning what this lens does best ... I have been generally pleased with the exposures that I have made with it. Sometimes the exposures with it really pop and that has kept me from selling it. This is so even after I have purchased "better lenses." I did take some test shots to post. See the bougainvilla, cat, and "Wild Thing" test images above. Before uploading they looked a lot better. It is unfortunate that Amazon is unable to display good images.

It has been my lot (my budget) to own a few of what the world has labeled "bad lenses." In general, I have not found the lens to be "bad" but instead to be a "good lens when used appropriately." It does have its problems and it is not an L series quality lens. But, I try to subscribe to the old quote that goes something like this:"It is a poor workman that blames his tools."

I am going to share excerpts from a posting that I read that has kept me from selling this lens. I read this "johnhopkins" posting about this lens on the "fredmiranda-com photo site." Johnhopkins from the United Kingdom posted it Sep 20, 2005 according to "fredmiranda-com." The poster "johnhopkins" stated that he had tested this lens against a Canon 24-70L. He found that:"The 28-80 could not match the Canon 24-70L in colour and contrast, but at f/11 there was no difference in resolution anywhere in the zoom range. At 28mm the 28-80 performed pretty respectably (though not as well) relative to the L zoom. Resolution at f/11 was identical to the L and only a little worse at f/5.6-f/8.

Performance drops off further in the zoom range. At 50mm the 28-80 performed as well as the 24-70L at f/8-11 but resolution tailed off at f/5.6 and especially at f/4.5. The corners especially were poor.

At 70mm the 28-80 only really performed well at f/11. Resolution was still OKish at f/8 but tailed off badly at f/5.6."

My recent tests of the lens and my use of the lens for the most part confirms the (fredmiranda-com,johnhopkins) conclusion that:"If used at f/11 anywhere in its zoom range or at f5.6-f/11 at 28mm then this lens can produce very decent results. Set the camera to Aperture Priority f/11 and leave it there if possible." I to have also found that my copy has decent performance at 28mm.

I think that this lens is a good value for just a little cash.
review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
Either I just lucked out and got a super copy of this lens or a lot of people just hate this lens because they feel they SHOULD as it was a Canon bundled kit lens some time ago and there are just oodles of them out there because frankly, this little lens is pretty great. I read the other reviews of this lens and picked it up used for under $40 USD (delivered) in July 2013. The lens focuses SUPER (amazingly) fast and very quietly on all my Rebel cameras (t5i, t4i, t3i, etc. [all my Rebel gear is APS-C]). Used in aperture priority mode, this lens really SHINES. Set it at f11 and forget it or open it wide up on a tripod or monopod and play around - the results are super sharp (and surprisingly so) for the price. Compared to L glass, the color is not as vibrant on my copy especially leaning red and the contrast in low light is funky on this lens, but sometimes funky can be good (almost arty)! Play around and have fun! Great lens to play with for VERY little money, and a real GEM at f11. Buy it for less than $40 and you can't go wrong!
on October 24, 2000
I received this lens as part of a kit when I bought an EOS Elan II, and I quickly realized that I needed to upgrade. The optics are mediocre at best, making it nearly impossible to get ultra-sharp pictures. The price is cheap, and so is the lens; the overall workmanship and quality is low. If you are a beginner just getting into SLR photography, you will be much better served by getting a couple of prime lenses (I recommend 50mm and 80mm) of higher quality. If you absolutely must have a single zoom lens to cover a range of focal lengths, spend $100 more to get the better lens. It will make a HUGE difference in the quality of your pictures.
on June 5, 2012
I got this lens with my camera. It was great to learn on, but as soon as I learned a little bit about cameras and lenses I realized how mediocre in every way this lens is. It's worth the $59.99 price tag if you are on a tight budget...but if you can afford more do it. I've posted 10 or so pics taken with this lens in the product images. Slapping this lens on a high quality dslr is like putting Steve Buscemi's face on a super model...
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 17, 2015
I enjoy this lens a great deal. Yes, I am aware of the negative comments left by many of the so-called professionals. I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed from the results that this lens produces. I use it on my Canon Rebel X 35mm slr film camera and I think it is an awesome lens. It really grinds my grist when I read how people have purchased this lens for between $20.00 and $30.00 and whine and moan that it just does not perform like their father's $3,500.00 Canon L does. Well,
gee, imagine my surprise. Focus on the positive aspects of your purchase and not solely on its short comings. Personally, I have not experienced any issues at all with this lens. Buy it if you need it, use it and enjoy it. Thanks for reading.
on December 7, 2011
Some people badmouth this lens while others swear by it. I am somewhere in the middle. I have several Canon EOS Single Lens Reflex cameras ranging from their first entry into the field, a D30, to a 50D. I got one of these lenses as part of a film camera kit. While the lens was designed for film cameras it works acceptably on digital cameras as well. I find that on the D30, which has a 3.3 MP sensor the lens is perfectly adequate. There are complaints about vignetting of focus near the edges but because the sensor in the D30 is not a full size 35MM element this is not a problem. Testing this lens against a standard resolution chart shows that you must have a camera with at least an 8 megapixel sensor before the shortcomings of these optics begin to become detectable. I don't see this as a problem because if you are using a camera that costs $1000 or more you are not likely to put a $40 lens on it. I use my D30 as a backup camera and the 28-80MM lens works great in that application.
on October 6, 2014
This lens is a perfect starter lens for people on budget, I spent my money on a high quality camera and the few pics I took with this lens were "good" but not award winning, I had no problems with attaining sharp focus but have only used the lens outdoors with lots of good light. No complaints for the price.
on July 15, 2015
Actually focuses faster and quieter than the newer version. Probably not quite as sharp, but hey it does what it's supposed to. Got it for my Mom's old Canon Rebel and she's never had a problem with it.
on November 22, 2013
I bought this lens for a walk around to replace the 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III that served me well for years until it took an unfortunate dive into a lake. Unfortunately, the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 didn't meet my expectations. It does an okay job handling colors and contrast, but it was just too soft overall. Even the shots in its "sweet spot" weren't as sharp as I would like to see, and I had to stop way down to get there. Guess I'm back in the market for a lens...
on June 17, 2013
At first was not crazy about the lens, but after I used it a while it was hard at first to get it to focus. The one down side is it doesn't have stabilizer on it. I can't wait to get a lens with F aperture under 2.8