Canon 28mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ? Hi, I'm thinking of getting either the Canon 28mm/1.8 or the Sigma 30mm/1.4 lens as a nearly normal/standard prime lens for my T1i (APS-C / 1.6 crop factor). I'm looking for a fast prime to use as my default lens -- I have the Canon 50mm/1.8 right now, and like it a lot, but it's a bit too tele sometimes.

The focal lengths are close enough that it looks like a wash there -- both are just a bit wider than the 35mm-equivalent 50mm focal length. The Sigma obviously is a half stop faster, and seems to be a bit cheaper. On the other hand I've read about issues with the Sigma quality, and also the Sigma seems to have issues with image quality in the corners even on crop bodies.

Any thoughts?
asked by Amazon Customer on February 11, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
J. ONeill says: Did you make a decision? I am currently debating the same two lenses. I am leaning towards the Canon since it seems there are quite a few quality/AF issues with the Sigma. Any advice is appreciated.

If you own a camera with micro focus adjustment like the 50D or 7D, Sigmas front or back focusing is a non-issue. Also, even if you don't own a camera with micro focus adjustment, if you get a Sigma lens that front or back focuses, you can send it to Sigma for calibration.
Tom Martin answered on April 13, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I ended up going for the Sigma. So far I'm pretty happy with it; focus seems OK on my T1i, and the lens seems quite well put together. Not getting dinged extra for a bag and a lens hood is nice too.
Amazon Customer answered on April 18, 2010

A
I almost decided in favor of Sigma, but then I realized that Sigma is made for a crop camera only. While I'm not looking to buy an FF one any time soon, when I do, it will be costly, so I wouldn't have the money to follow it up with expensive lenses, not to mention that a good prime is a good prime, which I expect to last me a long while... So that is becoming a big drawback for me...
Ana_y_lat answered on June 19, 2010

A
Coming from someone who started on a t3i and has now upgraded to a Mark ii.

I have owned the sigma for 10 months now and have rented the 28mm quite a few times. They are both good lenses although no where near L series quality. I shoot both video and do photography. As far as build quality the Sigma wins hands down. But I like the focusing on the 28mm a little better. I haven't had a lot of issues but I've gotten back from a few sessions and was dissapointed with the sigma. The focus ring is a little stiff on the sigma and a little too quick on the canon unlike a ziess or L series lens.

I am now about to sell my Sigma 30mm not because I don't like it but I need something that can be a medium focal length on a crop and a wide on a full frame. Thats where the sigma looses and also why I am now selling.

One great advantage that the Sigma has is the 1.4 Fstop. When used at 1.8 it's very sharp, you'll need to move the canon up to a f/2 for similar sharpness. For shooting a reception at a wedding F/2 doesn't quite cut it sometimes.
puhrnj answered on March 29, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't think worrying about the fact that the Sigma won't work on a full frame body makes much sense. After all, on a FF body you would want something like the Canon 50/1.4 instead. A 30mm lens on a FF body would be like a 18mm lens on a crop body -- and I don't find myself wishing for an 18mm prime on my T1i.

Even if you do upgrade to an FF body someday, you're pretty likely to keep your crop body, and so the Sigma would still be useful there.
Amazon Customer answered on June 19, 2010
Comment (1) | 8 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Did you make a decision? I am currently debating the same two lenses. I am leaning towards the Canon since it seems there are quite a few quality/AF issues with the Sigma. Any advice is appreciated.
J. ONeill answered on April 7, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey Tom, so you would recommend the sig 30 over canon 28?
canon newbie answered on December 11, 2011

A
I haven't tried the 28mm, but I can see it costs about $100 more than the Sigma. I just bought the Siggy and I love it. I have not had any focus issues and it is quite sharp wide open for my purposes (low-light indoor shots of food and people).
Brian Chung answered on December 19, 2011

A
Sigmas are known for focusing issues - play it safe and go Canon for sure. Plus if you graduate to full frame you'll still be able to use it.
Drew5972 answered on October 10, 2013

A
This is no easy call. Both lenses are said to perform similarly in terms of IQ. I've owned the EF 28mm f/1.8 and was never happy with it due to innacuracy of AF and image softness. Some folks like it quite a bit. Not my case. I wouldn't recommend this lens. I've read good reviews about the Sigma 30 mm, but I lack first hand experience. My two cents worth...
Miguel E. Urbina answered on February 24, 2010
Comment | 2 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product