5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed By the performance of this camera
Published on October 3, 2011 by Larry M. Chaney

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure about this camera yet...
Published on October 20, 2011 by MKinz

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed By the performance of this camera, October 3, 2011
Larry M. Chaney (San Diego, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I have to say that I was happy to be one of the first people to buy this camera. I actually received it before it was being officially marketed at BestBuy stores. I saw a lady online post that the camera was in storage at many of the stores but that you could request for them to retrieve a box from storage, and they couldn't refuse you to buy one for a sale. I didn't believe this tactic, but I went to a BestBuy, and tried it. The guy told me that they had it in the back, and came back with three boxes. I was so surprised, and he then asked me, "Which color would you like." Apparently, it wasn't being officially marketed, but you could still unofficially request one, and be allowed to purchase it. I felt lucky. I used it on my birthday (Sep 30). I freelance with photography as a serious side hobby, and I own a Canon 60D. I have been waiting impatiently for this Elph 310 HS to come out, due to it's new HS system, larger and 450,000 dot per square inch Hi Def (improved) 3" screen, and the improved 8x optical zoom (which btw worked wonders). When I started using this at Disneyland, my friends and I was amazed at the clarity of the pictures. Being a serious freelance photographer, it have a lot of high standards when it comes to picture quality, shutter speed, and overall satisfaction. I was blown away by this camera. Not only that, but I was also blown away by the 1080p quality of the video (wow). I didn't buy this for video, but geese-it's great! I will, however, advise anyone buying a camera with any megapixel count over 3mp, to buy a high speed memory card. Do not be fooled into buying a cheap memory card. The standard is this. Buy one with at least 20MBPS speeds or more (nothing less This will cost at least 39 bucks for a 16Gigabite card, and you will thank me later, trust me. Try buying that cheap, crappy, slow card, you will notice shutter lag, video will stop all of a sudden while you are recording video 10 seconds into recording, and you will notice that your camera is super slow when trying to take pictures. Remember that your memory card is like a computer processor. The slower it is, the slower your computer will perform calculations. Keep this in mind. Suggested brand and memory capacity? Sandisk 16GB (Class 6) SDHC card (it's labeled SANDISK ULTRA). Well worth your buy. I hope this helps you all. You will not be sorry with this camera. One thing I will say is that the menus took some getting used to, and the buttons are way too flat for my larger sized fingers, but most of you will probably not have the same trouble I do with that issue, lol. I'm 6.5'with large hands. Any questions, please feel free to reply. You won't believe the results of your new Canon Elph 310 HS. Trust me. I know what I am talking about. Ask away.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality.. After a Few Tweeks, October 21, 2011
I purchased this camera as a replacement to my Canon SD870IS which I was very happy with. The features that really caught my eye in the 310 HS were the 1080p video, 12MP images (I print LARGE poster size images at time), the large LCD screen and the new flash technology. I didn't want a touch screen as my interface so I went with the 310 instead of the 510.

So far I've taken about 500 pictures and 20 videos (some 1080p others 720p) with the camera both inside and outside. Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the pictures and VERY impressed with the video quality.

Pictures:

When you set the camera to Auto is does a decent job at detecting the environment. It adjusts the focus/lighting accordingly and takes a decent pictures. However, there are times where I have been taking a wide angle scenic view and it decides to focus on the nearby post and adjust to macro. When it does that, the picture comes out a little grainy and some areas are out of focus. You can't see it on the LCD screen, but when you get it out of the camera and on a larger screen it really shows.

The Image Stabilization (IS) feature is really nice to have. You can watch the camera adjusting for your minor movements that you may have when holding the camera up.

The camera offers the ability to take pictures in numerous formats. The default is 4:3, but it also offers, 16:9, 3:2 and 1:1. The manual mode allows you the ability to changing lighting, ISO, scene, white balance and compression. There are way too many modes to go into each one (26 in total).

If you want to take excellent quality pictures you need to be aware that Auto isn't always what you want and if you move that switch to manual and adjust the settings the pictures will come out looking sharp and cleaner.

Videos:

This is really where the camera shines. The videos are fantastic. You can shoot at 1080p and 720p or your standard 480i. The IS for the videos works flawlessly. My first "test" video was of my kids playing soccer and me purposely moving the camera to see how the IS works. After downloading it and viewing on a 60" TV there were times where we though the camera was placed on a tri-pod. The IS works that good. The video quality is top notch and most of the time I shoot at 720p.

The format of the videos are MOV. Previous Canon camera shot videos using AVI. This camera will not play back any AVI files (as I found out because I swapped memory sticks from my old to new).

Shooting a 1080p results in a video total bitrate of roughly 36K kbps at 23fps and audio bit rate of 1600kbps. Shooting at a 720p resulted in a video total bitrate of 25K kbps at 29fps and an audio of 1600kbps. Audio is 2 channel stereo at 48kHz for both.

However, there are two things that I wish this camera did different when it comes to video. The first is the size of the videos and it's compression. At 1080p a 1 minutes and 45 seconds the video is 460MB in size. Given this is a HD video, but other cameras and even some phones offer the same quality and time with less space. The second is the removal the "Time Lapse" feature of videos. With my SD870IS it had the ability to record a video as a time lapse that would allow it to take a pictures every 1 or 2 seconds and stitch it into a video. I utilized that feature on numerous occasions and it has been removed.

Battery:

The battery claims to take 250 pictures on a single charge. However, I was only able to get about 180 (no flash) on the first charge before I had to insert a different fully charged battery. Perhaps it will increase overtime and as the battery becomes more used. I would recommend that you invest in an additional battery and carry that with you as well. From the time that the "low battery indicator" came on I was able to get about 15 more pictures before it shutdown.

Design:

I was hoping that they would offer the Red of the 510HS on the 310HS but I can't fault them for that. The case is nice and well put together. It's very functional and the buttons are intuitive and properly placed. I have not had an incident where I pushed the wrong button.

Overall I'm really impressed with the camera and it's feature set. It will take some adjusting to make sure that Auto is taking the pictures that I want it to take, but overall it's a great camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera, way better than the 300 HS!, October 15, 2011
Amy Matsuno (Martinez, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 310 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and Full 1080p HD Video (Silver) (Electronics)
This camera is FANTASTIC. After losing my Canon SD 630 (which I've had since 2006), I was nervous I wouldn't find a camera that I would love again. I had originally ordered the 300 HS, and had it for about two weeks and then I found out that the 310 HS was coming out so I decided to return the 300 HS. I also wasn't really impressed with the 300 HS to begin with. There are tons of great reviews about it out there but I really was not satisfied (shutter lag was horrible -- even though I had an 8 GB memory card, pics came out blurry a lot, the exterior felt and looked cheap, and the quality of the pics were not that great considering that it was rated so highly). This is ridiculous considering that this camera was made 5 years after my old one, and I still thought my SD 630 was better quality! I took my chances on the 310 HS after reading all the specs and improvements and I am beyond glad that I made the switch to the 310 HS.

The color in the pictures looks beautiful, pictures look vivid, the video is superb (literally, the quality looks like a legitimate video camera), the exterior is sleek and glossy (unlike the scratchy cheap look of the 300 HS), the zoom is unreal (i went to a concert and was standing very far from the stage and was able to get a 32x zoom on the singer's face and the picture looks completely in focus and clear). Pictures so far on this camera often make it look even nicer than what the actual setting looked like. In addition, the 3 inch screen is a huge improvement over the smaller 300 HS screen. It's super vivid! I'm in love!

Quick note: You should totally buy the purple version of this camera! I got it after debating between the plain black or the metallic purple. It looks very modern and makes you stand out in the crowd. I like the glossy/shiny look of it and it doesn't make it look cheap (which was my biggest concern when I chose a color instead of silver or black).

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, tiny cam w/ one BIG caveat - don't put it in your pocket!, November 4, 2011
Before I get to the negative portion, I've got to say this is a functionally oustanding camera. I spent a great deal of time weighing this cam against the 300 HS, 500 HS, 510 HS, S95, S100 and SX230 HS. This camera turned out to be the best combination of features and functions I could hope for... a fairly wide angle at the short end, great 8x zoom, and unbelievable low-light shooting. Its ability to get good shots both near for close-ups, and from far away (at concerts, as an example), in very low light is nothing short of stunning.

Before I received it, I wondered if I should have ordered one of the cams sporting an F2.0 lens, but in practice, the backlit CMOS sensor has an amazing ability to pull in enough light - like no other P&S I've ever used - and I've had a lot of them. Speedwise, it is very responsive. I still have yet to try things like wide-aperture intentional background blurring, and more extensive video use, but I'm already in love with the thing, regardless. It's good for nearly every situation, and I'm very excited about taking it to another year at Lollapalooza and numerous Chicago street fests.

The reach of the 8X zoom is great too, and with 12 mp of data, you have plenty of room to crop and blow up for an even closer shot. Detail at the telephoto end is excellent. Colors are very vivid and true-to life, a feature common to all 5 of our current Canon cameras. I dare say the image quality is as good as, or better than my beloved, but slow G7.

Now to the major problem... durability. The outside case feels solid enough, despite the plastic battery/SD card door. However, the metal lens housing is EXTREMELY thin. I bought this camera to replace my SD870, which due to such a touchy power button had opened up too many times in its case and in my pocket, resulting in every photo being focused on one side and blurry on the other. Since it's so small, I'm compelled to place this little sucker in my pocket. It doesn't turn on and open up so easily like the 870, but I already have unwittingly given it a slight dent in the front of the lens housing, which has made the lens protector stick open when I shut it off.

After working with it a bit, the lens now completely covers, but I'm bound and determined to keep it in the hard-sided case I bought for it. Like I said, the housing is EXTREMELY thin. I have finally learned my lesson. I tend to be pretty careful with all my cameras and gadgets, but I seriously think you can dent it by leaning up against a countertop (which is easier to do than you think), or having your keys in the same pocket. I would gladly have given up another 1 or 2mm and another $10 or $20 for a better build.

Sooo... if you can keep it out of your pants pocket, I'd highly recommend this camera. I'd give it 6 stars for versatility and image quality, but then it loses two for durability. Still... well worth 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars pro review: one of the most useful and versatile point-and-shoots also creates stunning images, November 16, 2011
Roldan Pozo (Gaithersburg, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Although most of my photography is in fine art studio work, I still use DSLRs and small point-and-shoots for travel and personal snapshots. I have owned and used both Nikon and Canon, and have personally used the Canon 780, S90, S95, and Elph 300, as well as this 310. Keeping in mind that photography is 95% photographer and 5% equipment, this 310 does allow one to create stunning images in more diverse conditions than its predecessors, including the S90, S95 series. These are all fine cameras, but the 310s extended lens range (29mm - 233mm equiv) basically eliminates the need to pack a bulky DSLR when I want to travel light. Also, the low-light performance of the 310 is much improved over previous sensors of this size.

Video quality is excellent for a camera this size. One of my disappointments with the otherwise excellent S90/95 was its video performance: choppy and poor focusing. (The older 780 was much better.) Canon must have listened to customers, as the 300/310 both employ much better video (1080p / 24fps) particularly in low light. The audio, I found, was much better than average.

I had not done a head-to-head comparison between the 300 and 310 as I didn't have them in front of me at the same time, but judging from the shots I took with both of them, I was more impressed with the consistent quality of the 310 overall. (May not make musch sense, as the electronics of both cameras are said to be identical.) Regardless, the extended range is definitely worth the $50-$60 price difference.

In good light, you can actually use the 12MP resolution to create stunning images. There is a tiny amount of chromatic aberration and an ever-so-slight softness around the edges (and no, it is not the same as my $2K Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 zoom) but it is actually quite impressive that this camera captures so much detail. I continued to be surprised by the performance, and would not hesitate to take this as my main walk-around camera when on travel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure about this camera yet..., October 20, 2011
MKinz "Mindi" (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
First, let me say this camera does take some great pictures and it is very easy to use. My complaint comes in by how plastic it feels. It just doesn't feel solid like all the other Canon cameras we have purchased in the past. I love my husband's Canon Powershot 300HS, but I wanted a bit higher zoom. So, I purchased this one. I also purchased the Powershot 510 as well to see which one I would like better. I must say, I am swaying towards returning both of them. This camera feels flimsy compared to the other Canon Powershot cameras. I prefer the non-touch screen of this one vs. the Powershot 510, but overall, the 510 just feels a lot more solid for only around $75 more. The touchscreen on the 510 drains the battery too fast, but this one just doesn't seem to be that durable. As for the zoom comparisons, on the 510 it zooms to 12x, but it is extremely difficult to keep it steady. On this one, the 8x seems about right. So, I am not quite sure which one to keep. I love the new settings for vivid, foliage, miniature, fireworks, fisheye, etc. If it weren't for all these new settings and a higher power zoom, I wouldn't even consider trading up from the 300HS for this one. So, I am torn as to what to do.

UPDATE 10/30/2011 - So, I decided to keep this one instead of the 510. It still feels kind of plastic to me compared to older models we have. However, I have been thoroughly impressed with the video, picture and color quality. The battery longevity helped to make this decision as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crisp, clear pictures, November 14, 2011
I just ordered mine and I hav enothingbut good thinsg to say about it! The large screen makes reviewing photos a pleasure. Colours are crisp and clear. I went out with a few friends to have dinner the night that I took it out of the box and it was a hit with them as well. They noticed the crisp colours and took note of the model - they were that impressed. It works well in low lighting - the flash is very bright so pictures may look overexposed , but hey - at least you get to see everything and too much light is better than not enough of it.

I spent a looooong time checking out reviews and if you are in my old shoes, I suggest that you get the leather case made by Canon sold on Adorama.com for 12$. It fits perfectly and make a stylish addition to any outing. Secondly, get a screen guard - the clear adhesive that you get to protect your phone. I put on mine the day after I used it which meant cleaning it carefully with babywipess, cotton and the cloth that comes with th ephone screen protector.I will also warn you that you will need at least a class 10 16GB SD card to go with this camera since the pixels take up space and the SD card influences shutter speed since it affects processing time internally.

The menu is loaded with lots of great features. Make sure that you read the manual that comes with the CD so that you can access those features.

Additionally, I have to give Amazon props for super speedy shipping. I ordered it Wednesday night and it was in my hands by Saturday evening.

This camera is an excellent investment for anyone who is picky about features and pictures. The extra pixels dont mean much. Camera features matter much more and thsi Canon baby is it!

Finally, go to youtube and check out the reviews of the camera. One of the first reviews you will find is by a photography editor who explains the DIFFERENCES between this model and ELPH 300. This will help you to make a decision in the event that you don't know if you want to put out the extra fifty bucks for the ELPH 310. His video review was actually the most helpful review I found - the video means you get to see pictures that he's taken.

Having owned a camera I disliked for two years, this camera is a welcome change. I promise you that you will not regret your investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, November 3, 2011
I am a camera fiend. I honestly researched cameras for a year before making my investment and I PROMISE YOU this camera was worth every single penny spent. The pictures are absolutely precisely clear and the video is amazing. I love how the auto feature is able to detect the type of picture you are taking and automatically switches the camera setting to that feature (i.e when you go to take a picture of a person, it will automatically switch to portrait mode). The 1080p video is easy to use and is awesome. The low light feature is the best out of any camera I have ever used and it is just awesome. The optical zoom is 8x but what is great is that you can go up to 32x zoom and the pictures are definitely not blurry. AMAZING!!!! My friends are completely jealous ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Video motor noise, November 8, 2011

I was so looking forward to getting this camera. I have the 300 hs and thought the 310 hs would offer a few upgraded features. It arrived about two hours ago and couldn't wait to try it out. I already had a charged battery so I was good to go. I love the added zoom and the pictures are detailed and had plenty of color. I ordered this camera because of the good reviews and didn't pay much attention to a comment about motor noise. Boy, was I wrong. I took several videos inside and out, with very little noise and in a noisy background. Every single video I took had a loud motor noise when zooming. I only heard the noise when the video was played back on my computer. I was also using a class 10, 16g Sandisk card. I didn't expect this because my 300 hs has no added noise when zooming. I guess if you don't zoom while trying to video it would work but that really defeats the whole purpose. I am very disappointed so packed it up and asked for a refund due to being defective. I still might try another 310 hs in the future because it meets all of my requirements and would be great on vacation. I hope this helps someone.

Update! Well, I decided to give it another try and purchased another 310hs. The motor noise is still there but have made peace with it because the quality of the pictures are so good. I changed my review from 3 stars to 4 and will make sure I have zoomed
before I video. All things considered this is a great little camera and am very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes great shots, November 10, 2011
Amazon Customer "CO" (Lansdale, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice little camera. You do have the flexibility to change the ISO and white balance. In long shutter mode you can go up to 15 seconds. A Very Nice feature.
While zooming the noise in the video is awful. That's why I'm giving this a 4 & not a 5.
Be prepared, zoom in first then start shooting. If your zooming in & out constantly all you'll hear is the camera and not the subject, ( which negates being able to zoom )the Video in low light is OK. Outside it's GREAT!
I'm the one who took the moon shots posted. What I don't understand is in AUTO the zoom will go up to 32X's.
In any of the program modes it's 8X's and that's it. I could not get those moon shots in any other mode but auto. I tried. But in auto the photographs are excellent considering the type of camera I used. I also like taking photos indoors without a flash. I was pleased with the outcome.
I got about 180 shots on the first battery without using the video. I was also playing around with the camera a lot. If your planning on a day trip I would carry an extra battery or two.