Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 66 questions
vote
This is a perfect question for me to respond to. I just sold my 70-200 non IS and purchased the IS II, First no matter what, you will love the Non IS, the glass is incredible and the quality will make you want to use this lens all of the time. If you control the low light situations ans shoot with a tripod, you are good for a long time. Then you start using it in more action situations, and you want a low ISO, and it is a handheld situation, then you will see the need for the IS. Don't get me wrong, the NON IS is wonderful, i just quickly out grew it (in 8 months) because this lens moved up to my "go to" lens in so many more situations than I planned for and I found that the IS is the answer. Now I can get action shots in lower light with a beautiful short depth of field with this as a handheld even at 200MM.
Oct 31, 2014 by Brucks
votes
I use this lens to shoot sports photography and it's a sharp lens. You should have no issues shooting portraits
Mar 3, 2014 by Josh5803
votes
Yes, i use on 6D & 550D
Sep 24, 2013 by profs
votes
For me it was price, the IS was a little over my reach. You know you have a great camera you can push that ISO comfortable past 1600 . I recently did a wedding with only a spot light and no flash at 1600 at 5.6 or 2.8 between 15th 125 sec hand held it came out fantastic. Hand held is a trick to learn. I would think you will need to be above 125 second and higher with a depth of field f8 f16 and you said no tripod and I assuming no flash hand held. I think the IS would be worth the stretch if you can. For me it is beach pic on a tripod with weddings and party's One other thing I dont know what speed your camera sync for flash my Canon 60D sync at 250 or less but you can hyper sync flash above 250 but then you pick up a hard grain. If you intend to use flash the flash freeze the movement above 250 in hyper for no flash diffidently if you have the bucks I will assume the IS is as good or better in ether case you will have a top of the line lens good luck
Nov 4, 2014 by Vincent Morelli
votes
I think it is to distinguish it from the MK II. You are correct, there is no non IS MKII. I think they are making sure the purchaser is aware that the optical improvements found in the IS MKII will not be found in this lens. We can debate whether the improvements and the IS is worth $1,000, especially in the light that the most problems found with the IS lens is with the IS mechanism. I have this lens, the older, non IS model and I love it. It suits me well and it performs great. There are few times I wish I went with the IS.
Nov 12, 2014 by DougMac
votes
Just rotate the hood counterclockwise
Jan 12, 2014 by Joao Felipe Braga de Carvalho
votes
no date that i can see, no scratches or marks on L top quality lens
Mar 1, 2013 by fotos.david
votes
In my experience with airshows IS makes little difference because there is usually enough light for fast shutter speeds (in excess of 1/500) even with the lens stopped down to f4 or f5.6. Also you are often panning at an airshow so it is generally advisable to switch off the IS or set it to panning mode. I own this lens and the 100-400 L IS, for airshows the 100-400 is a better choice because of its longer reach
Mar 25, 2010 by J. Peabody
votes
Yes it is, it has Canon's USM(Ultra Sonic Motor) Auto focus. This is the fastest and quietest auto focus that Canon offers.
Jan 13, 2011 by David Uzvalok
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers