5.0 out of 5 stars very beautiful lens for full frame
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:03 Mins
very beautiful lens and do recommend for plenty of images but almost never at the 8mm length for people or animals... If, you shoot down on someone you may be able to make a fatter person smaller... But, mostly no persons at 8mm.
The 15 mm is outstanding for "wall to wall" images and well worth the lens for that 15mm.
I uploaded a...
Published 22 months ago by ProPhotographer1

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful except for a horrible lens cap.
I just got this lens this evening and love it. Why the 3 star? The lens cap does not stay on and I am an avid hiker. So what do I do? If I hike with no lens cover, I expose a very fragile lens. If I try to keep it on, I am sure to lose it. Canon, I have a closet of wonderful L lenses. Every aspect of them is well crafted. I am very disappointed with the lens cap issue...
Published 17 months ago by Elston Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars very beautiful lens for full frame, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Length:: 1:03 Mins

I uploaded a singel 8mm image that shows this view on a full frame camera (5D Mark III) and it is a good lens at that length for tight nature shoots... or...
Be very careful with this lens once you take hood off... as you can get too close to subject and literally hit subject using the 8mm length (which can be an expensive lesson)... remember, to lean forward to keep your feet out of images when using this lens and finally, remember the view is all the way around the same on a full frame camera... Distortion is minimal and if you keep straight lines out of your images it will not show (find the sweet spot on distance)...
The last moment I thought of a great way to show you this lens in MOVIE MODE -- LOL -- so, much easier for all to see the range of this lens... I found a location full of objects which will allow for easy "figuring out" what the distortion is on this lens and you might see as a buyer... Remember, crop sensors will NOT get the full circle at 8mm...
Love you,
kai
PS I hope this video and review was helpful and remember you can pause video at anytime to see what a still image would look like -- so, here is the review with full range -
aslo do not forget the "limit setting" which stops lens from going below 10 degrees.

5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal joy!, October 16, 2012
Henry Qiu (Manhattan, New York) - See all my reviews
What a great joy to own and use this lens every day!

I almost ordered this lens last year when I saw it first listed on B&W website for pre-ordering. But I was hesitant at that time, wondering how useful this specialty novelty lens can be on daily shooting. After some time-consuming research, I finally went for it... It was in a pizzeria store in Las Vegas while I was waiting for my pizza that I first opened the Amazon package containing my brand new copy of the lens... Wow! As soon as I put it on my camera (5D3) and started to shoot with it, I was awed! I tried to shoot nearly everything and everybody with it, a lot of photos and videos. And it stayed on my camera for the rest of my Las Vegas trip (2+ days).

Here, I'm not writing a full review or anything close. I just want to point out a few things about the lens (or my copy of the lens).

== On my 7D ==

It won't give me a full circle image, not even something close. Instead, it becomes a super wide zoom lens with fisheye distortion. To me, the distortion is not more annoying than that from a regular super wide lens, and is typically as acceptable (or similarly unacceptable in the case I don't like the wide angle distortion).

== On my 5D ==

It offers a full circle image at 8mm, and a very interesting (somewhat bizarre) image at 15mm. I have almost only used this lens on my 5D, and typically at 15mm only. On my 5D, the lens is

1) super sharp: I think it's sharper than my 16-35mm/f2.8L, 24-105mm/f4L, and 70-200mm/f2.8L. And it looks like even sharper than my 24mm/f1.4L II.

2) it focuses super fast: nearly every time, instantly. Even in a dark environment, as soon as it can see a bit light, it can focus lock on it.

== Two things I don't like ==

One is the lens cover repeatedly falling off the hood. Yet, to prevent the lens from hitting any hard object while it's hanging on my shoulder, I still have to somehow protect the front glass that protrudes from the lens barrel. The coating on the lens glass seems very special that I can easily wipe dusts, water drops, or fingerprints off from it. But it's much easier to get hit, even with its hood on, than all other lenses I have.

The other is the color distortion on the circular edge of its circular image. But I think this is unavoidable. It's not much of a concern to me, though, for I don't shoot many circular images.

== My conclusion ==

This is a great walk around lens (to me), especially for shooting indoors or on busy streets. When and where I typically would go for my 16-35mm, I now would rather use this lens, except when I only want (relatively) distortion-free images.

In places where space is super tight, this is the about only go-to lens that can capture a most usable widest wide shot with a Canon DSLR camera.

This is a great lens for expressing an uplifting sense of humor. A great lens of choice for shooting active kids, playful pets, funny players, or for covering certain dancing or sports, or for capturing just about everything or anybody that you want to look happy, exciting, exaggerating, and so on.

=====

Hopefully my experience is helpful to someone who's considering the lens. Happy shooting!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun, best fisheye lens for a canon body, or any body!, May 2, 2012
I love fisheye photography, and this lens provides limitless creative potential, I did not realize it until I actually used it. I saved $$ and thought about it for a few months, then pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did, the lens produces great pictures, very sharp. Great built, weather sealed, solid and smooth feel of the focus and zoom rings. The lens is actually smaller than it looks on the website, not heavy, looks and feels great, but best of all, it produces some really cool shots! Especially using a full frame camera, I use a 5Dmk3 and the shots I get in low light outside are just stunning.

Why 5 stars? Though $1400 is not cheap for this lens, I think it is good value being that this is the only zoom fisheye available, going from full circular to extra-wide. I tried the Ronikon, but in reality, no other fisheye lens can come close to competing to this bad dog. It really is that good. I think it is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite lens., October 15, 2012
Low Blood Sugar (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I am updating this review again after having it for a few years and being around the world with it. Along with sample images..

This is in response to bruce's request for a lens suggestion. I am going to add some of my experience shooting with the Canon 8-15mm F4L lens on multiple cameras (full frame, apc, and 4/3).

I bought the Canon 8-15mm F4 after testing many lenses. The 8-15 lens is the most amazing lens. It is optically excellent and it is also very practical If you want to use it for multiple situations like I do.
HAND HELD 360 PANOS
After a little bit of practice, you can shoot hand held 360x180 panos and the 8mm mode of the 8-15mm makes it easy. On full frame, normally 3-4x shot on one row tilted up slightly + one pointing down for the floor (nadir). Zenith not needed. I use my foot as the nodal pivot point. I will plan out my shots based on the shape of the room and the people in it so i can avoid having stitching lines cross major features like people or art. I use PT GUI Pro's masking feature to do it.
This was hand held in NASA's dark room. (5DMK3 With 8-15@8MM)
[...]
Handheld Trick photo as little planet: (5DMK3 With 8-15@8MM)
[...]
original 360 pano (5DMK3 With 8-15@8MM)
[...]
If you use a APC camera it helps to shoot portrait mode.

When i shoot hand-held 360s at night, i will go with wide aperture and high iso to prevent shake. Since the stitched images are bigger than i need them to be, reducing the size of the pano has the nice side effect of reducing the noise of the image.

TRIPOD 360 PANOS:
You can reduce the number of shots and get better faster stitching and better accuracy by using a pano head + tripod. This was taken with a tripod + nodal ninja pano head. (5dmk3 with 8-15@8mm in desert environment)
[...]
I have used this lens on a APC sensor, full frame sensor, and even a Sony Micro 4/3s camera and it really is very versatile and produces very sharp pictures on all cameras. It works great for a walk around lens since you can shoot panos really quick at 8MM then take subject pictures using the 15mm zoom and getting closer. Also if you need super resolution panos, you can zoom in and take take more pictures per row.
If I use it on a pano head, i will stop it down to F9 or so for better sharpness and low iso because the tripod keeps it steady.

HAND HELD NON PANOS + FLASH TIPS:
I have taken this to parties for and I have found this setup works great:
RIGHT HAND: Camera + 15MM. My previous Canon T3i APC camera had a master popup flash built in. for the 5D i am using the cheap Canon 90EX as an ETTL capable master trigger but radio or IR trigger would work too.
Left hand : Yongnuo YN-565 flash set to optical slave with stoffen diffuser.
Pocket: Lens Cap
When i am not taking pictures, I take the lens cap out of my pocket put it on the camera. And put the flash back in my pocket instead. Then I reach for a rum & diet.

sample photo (Canon T3I with 8-15mm at 15mm and flash)
[...]

Other notes: This lens focuses really fast. There is a adobe lens profile for the "8-15 on 7D" that is available for free download, that when used with Adobe light room's lens correction can turn the fisheye image to a non-fisheye if you need it. It works amazing for any APC sensor camera. I have tried it with the Full frame sensors, with ok results. I have found for web, you can seriously crop the image and still have great sharp results.

VIDEO TRICKS:
Here are some tips that people shooting video with this fisheye may enjoy:
Canon 5dmk3 + latest magic lantern can shoot square full frame video at 8MM. Amazing!!!! The built in video recorder button does crops the video to be 16:9 so you need to use the Magic Lantern hack if you want full frame video.

Some of the canon cameras (rebel series) can do a digital zoom that crops just the center of the image. This is a high quality digital zoom that just uses the center 1920x1080 pixels so there is no scaling. So its like having another zoom lens range that has pixel perfect quality! This is a great feature to have with this lens.

CONCLUSION:
I have found the 8-15 zoom is optically excellent and extremely practical in multiple real world situations. It works perfect when paired with a pano head, but it is the most fun to shoot 360s hand held. It allows me to get my camera places that a tripod would be impractical. I have so much fun with it and am confident of it when I want professional results. I hope you find my review and tips interesting.

Dr. Clement Shimizu
Director of Software Design
Immersive Projection Design

P.S. I am very passionate about this topic because I work with other peoples panoramic and 360 degree images and video all day for work.

>>>> OLD REVIEW

This is my favorite lens. I use it for 360 VR panos its very sharp compared to other fisheyes I have used. I also use it when I go to parties and want just an easy camera to take pictures of party situations when I'm shooting from the hip. I can just point the camera in the general direction of the action and I get everything. I love it.

UPDATE:

I am still loving this lens. I have had a chance to compare it to a prime fisheye lens by Sunex and the sharpness on this blows it out of the water. Its amazing that canon can make a zoom that is superior to a fixed lens.

A few tips for lightroom users:

1) I have noticed in Adobe Lightroom, you can download a lens profile to de-warp the images in the lens correction settings(you need to download it through adobes lens profile downloader). Under lens correction, it will "autodetect" the lens type and zoom settings, but only if you shoot in raw.
2) In lightroom if you choose to dewarp the image, people at the sides of the image circle will become extremely streched. For this reason, if I am un-warping an image, I usually don't do it completely, just a bit. Dewarping faces to one side or the other can be achieved by using "LensCorrection->Manual->Horizontal Offset" in combination with "LensCorrection->Profile->Distortion".

5.0 out of 5 stars Produces High-Quality Fisheye AND Rectilinear Corrected Images, December 24, 2012
This lens was purchased after considering the more expensive Canon 14mm II and 17mm TS-E rectilinear lenses. I already own a very good performing Canon 17-40mm L lens and a full-frame 5D MKII body, so I was looking for something to take me wider than 17mm. Photoshop CS6 has an Adaptive wide angle filter that can be used to correct the "bowed" look of a fisheye lens, which helped make my decision to buy the Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens. At almost ˝ of the Canon14mm II or 17 TS-E lens costs, you can buy this lens, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, and still have some change left. Fisheye-Hemi and other low-cost and freeware applications allow applying similar geometric corrections, but I already own Photoshop CS6.

After many hours of working on the Canon 8-15mm images inside Lightroom 4.3 and Photoshop CS6, I am very happy to say this lens is well worth the price tag and more! Some people have complained about "very high chromatic aberrations (CA)," but the Canon 8-15mm is much better than virtually every other fisheye lens in this respect. Fisheye lens CA is a fact of life, but it is easily corrected using Lightroom 4's automatic `Remove Chromatic Aberration' tool. The small amount of residual CA that remains is easily corrected using the `Defringe' tool. I use the following Lightroom 4 Defringe Tool Settings, which remove ALL remaining visible CA:

8mm: Purple Hue 30/55, Amount 2
15mm: Purple Hue 30/55, Amount 4
(NOTE: Using higher settings may desaturate purple objects.)

I also found that the 15mm setting benefitted nicely from extra Lightroom Sharpening (35, .8, 35, 0), while the 8mm focal length was critically sharp with default sharpening settings (25, .8, 25, 0). The Lightroom Basic panel adjustments require more work due to the much wider dynamic range in fisheye images. In many of my shots the sun is well inside the frame, but exhibit very little flare. Lightroom 4's PV2012 controls do a great job in recovering the highlight and shadow details, but generally require using larger settings than with my 17-40mm lens.

I processed numerous images using the `Adaptive Wide Angle Filter' in Photoshop CS6 using Lightroom 4 `Edit in Photoshop' with export to 16 bit TIFF with ProPhoto RGB profile. The filter's `Constraint' tool allows dragging control lines along "bowed edges" to effectively straighten them and set `vertical' and `horizontal' leveling. You need only a small number of constraint lines with images such as landscapes and buildings that are composed to keep the "horizon line" level. The image is then launched inside Photoshop, where areas that are now missing due to the "dewarping" can be painted back using `Content Aware' fill and/or the `Clone Stamp' tools. The TIFF image is then `Saved' and appears inside Lightroom. I find adding a small amount of sharpening (25, .8, 25, 0) inside Lightroom to the "dewarped" TIFF file makes it look virtually identical in image quality to the original raw CR2 image file.

You can also download a Canon 8-15mm Lens Profile for use with Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw using the 'Adobe Lens Profile Downloader' available at Adobe's website. It is for the Canon 7D body, but works quite well with the full-frame Canon 5D MKII body I'm using. With a 100 Distortion setting under the Profile tab and 80 Scale setting under the Manual tab the results are very pleasing and sharp, except at the extreme edge and corners. Painting in additional Sharpening with an Adjustment Brush setting between 25 and 50 to these areas matches the original raw file's image quality quite remarkably!

I may purchase the Canon 14mm II lens some day, but for now the Canon 8-15mm lens, Lightroom 4, and Photoshop CS6 are keeping me busy making some very high-quality fisheye AND rectilinear corrected images. I also have a Canon 600D body, which I'll be testing this lens with next. The performance at 10mm on this 1.6 crop factor body should be just as good after applying corrections in Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6.

UPDATE 2012_DEC_27: Tests results of the Canon 8-15mm lens on my Canon 600 D 1.6 crop factor body show very good results, but with two caveats.

1)The raw CR2 images as viewed in Lightroom 4 with `Remove Chromatic Aberrations' and `Defringe' disabled show somewhat higher chromatic aberrations compared to the lens on my 5D MKII full-frame body, which was expected. Image quality in the center of the image pretty much matches the 5D MKII images, so no other issues are apparent. With `Remove Chromatic Aberrations' and `Defringe' enabled inside Lightroom 4 (or Adobe Camera Raw) the overall image quality virtually matches that observed with my 5D MKII body, which is nice surprise. I had to change the Defringe Tool adjustments, since the settings posted for my 5D MKII body slightly reduce saturation of purple objects. The following `Defringe' settings effectively remove the remaining CA with virtually no purple saturation reduction in the actual image:

8mm-10mm: Purple Hue 30/60, Amount 2
(NOTE: Using higher settings may desaturate purple objects.)

I created Lightroom Develop presets for applying the three different settings. I included `Chromatic Aberrations' and Sharpening' (35, .8, 35, 0) settings in the presets.

2)In low-light situations my Canon 600D body had difficulty with autofocus and tended to overshoot the Infinity focus point, resulting in images that were soft over the whole picture area. If you are getting soft images it is probably due to autofocus error. The full-frame 5D MKII seems better in this respect, but occasionally produced some soft images as well. Using a "Manual" focus setting of about six feet will keep everything in focus from just under three feet to Infinity, but how do you do that? You can determine the actual Infinity focus point of your lens using `Live View' mode at x10 view and manually focusing on a subject at least 200-300 feet away. On my lens copy the right edge of the Infinity line (looks like an L) is in the center of the stationary white line on the outside of the lens. At six feet the left edge of the Infinity line is aligned with the center of the stationary white line. This amounts to a focus setting difference of just the thickness of the Infinity line itself!

When focusing on close subjects (<6' away) or subjects with moderate to high brightness the autofocus seems to work fairly well.

NOTE: The lens was tested on the 600D 1.6 crop APS-C body at the recommended 10mm setting. I also tried the 8mm and 9mm settings with equally good results.

P.S. The Lens Cap pretty much sucks, but is easily fixed to prevent dropsy. I placed 2" x 5/8" strips of electrical tape inside the cap at both the top and bottom. Start with two layers below the two locking tabs centered inside the cap. Cut a third tape strip a little wider and place it flush with the hood end, which will create a small ramp enabling the hood to slide easier onto the hood. If the hood still slides off easily you can place a fourth tape strip cut to the same size and place it on top of the third strips.

4.0 out of 5 stars W I D E, November 29, 2011
Wow, this thing is wide! I also have a Tokina 12-24 and I took a shot from the same spot with both lenses set at 12mm. 12mm on the 8-15 was much wider than 12 on the 12-24, I'll post the comparison later.

I haven't used it much, mostly because it is a special purpose lens and I haven't had many special purpose opportunities since I bought it. It seems well built and was nicely packaged. But even at it's current price ($1428), it is very high priced. The Sigma 10mm Fisheye might have been a better buy.

Some things to note.

-On the Canon 7D (APS-C), at 8mm with the lens hood on you will get tiny bits of the hood in the shot. See my sample posts.
-This thing is so wide you can be right next to something and still think you are a ways back, so caution needs to be taken not to bang the lens on something and damage it. For me this will be a challenge because to get the creative shots I want, I need to get very close to cause that great fisheye perspective
-at 8mm handheld image quality indoors was pretty poor, some experimenting and maybe a camera stand and better ISO settings could correct this.

If you've got money to blow or just love collecting nice lenses like me, go for it, and be sure to post some shots!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when you need a unique perspective, February 26, 2012
Within a few days of receiving this lens I had a shoot to do for an upscale country inn. This place has already been shot from every angle, so it was a challenge to bring back something unique. With this lens I was able to get a remarkable circular shot of the entrance, both balustrades leading up to it, the canopy over the door and flags flying overhead -- all in one beautiful shot.

Inside, I got a shot of the bar area that took in not just the bartender and her clients, but also the unique ceiling over the bar and the detail on the bar stools.

Of course I needed to round out these shots with more conventional views of the various rooms, but I believe having this lens in my kit gave me the ability to provide something fresh that helped to tell the story of the establishment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens For Special Effects, February 27, 2012
Canon quality as usual. This lens completes my collection of Canon equipment. With my 7D I can shoot from 8mm to 300mm now. This lens in particular at 8mm produces interesting effects on all types of objects, manmade and natural. Another feature I enjoy is the continuos manual focus - a feature becoming pretty much standard on new Canon EF lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it's meant to do, May 24, 2013
I'm using this on a crop sensor, so I don't get the round center picture with black borders effect. I only get four black corners at the widest focal distance which is undesirable. That's where the limiter switch comes in handy; it stops me from turning the zoom ring below 10mm past which point heavy vignetting will start to occur. So far I found this lens very sharp and fast, and bokeh is nice and soft at f/4. This lens, like all fisheye lenses, is a novelty lens. Even at 15mm there is a great deal of distortion. What this means is this lens is only good for taking distorted ultra wide angle shots and can't be used as a primary lens. I picked mine up used locally at a good price, and I can't justify paying full retail for something like this that's so limited in its usefulness. But I have no problems with its image quality, like I said it's great for what it's meant to do.

My biggest problem is with the fragile and almost useless lens hood and lens cap. There is a button on the lens hood that you have to press before turning to release it from the lens, and this locking mechanism is held to the rest of the lens hood by small screws (about the same size as what you'll find on the hinges of glasses). The hard plastic hood is already very fragile, and inducing screws made it even more so. So it's not surprising the lens hood on mine is slightly cracked at where the screws are. The lens hood itself is $50 which is expensive because it's not a single piece of molded plastic, and I haven't decided if it makes budget sense for me to replace mine which still stays on. The lens cap locks on to the lens hood, and mine falls off very easily. At first I thought perhaps it's due to my slightly cracked lens hood lacking rigidity, but now I see a few other people mentioned it as well. For a lens that retails for $1500, has a bulging and vulnerable front element, and has no support of UV filter protection, you'd figure the lens hood and cap would be built like tanks to protect anything bad that would happen to the front element. Unfortunately not so, the lens hood is purely decorative and lens cap doesn't stay on. So owners have to be extra careful with this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely fun, January 2, 2013
As a preface, I am the 'prosumer' - I do not usually make money off my photographs, but enjoy shooting and do it often. I currently shoot on a crop-sensor 7D, for those interested in a review from someone shooting crop-sensor.

I enjoy shooting with extreme wide angle lenses. I own the Canon 10-22 and it is one of my favorite lenses. I also do some underwater shooting, and I've used the 10-22 exclusively in my Nauticam housing. Maybe not anymore...

Since receiving this lens, the 10-22 hasn't even been in my bag. It makes me a little sad, but I'm not sure how much use the 10-22 will be getting since the 8-15 does pretty much everything I ever wanted to do with the 10-22.

The fisheye distortion is really very cool. You need to keep in mind that you will likely have to stop down your exposures to keep foreground elements from being too dark - the lightmeter gets a lot of light from the near 180 degree (on crop sensor) field of view, and thus tends to expose for the sky, etc.

There's been some CA to contend with, especially at the edges and in high contrast areas (silhouettes), but nothing crazy and not more than other wide angles. Images are nice and sharp. I'm finding I get MUCH better results when I stop the lens down and extend the DOF... otherwise LARGE areas can appear out of focus -- not that the lens is soft, but if you close focus you have the rest of the world behind your subject that will be out of focus.

I've heard some claim that this lens might have limited use, but if you're someone who likes to work wide, this is not a gimmick lens. And with some creative cropping, you can easily achieve some fantastic landscape "panoramas" in one shot.

Some other considerations:
- Yes, the lens cap is a little goofy. It's a shame that this isn't better designed.
- When shooting below 10mm it's possible to get the lens hood in the frame.
- Don't get too close! Easy to bump the front element (watch out for pet noses, too).
- The delimiter makes a lot of sense if you're shooting on crop-sensor and don't want any 'vignetting', however, I've really enjoyed pushing it wider and then cropping out the corners if I don't like them. If you use a good print service and know a good framer, there's no reason not to crop a 'wide-screen' photo, especially with all the megapixels we have these days.

Enjoy!

**** EDIT ****

This lens continues to be "extremely fun"... And I wanted to add a short comment about shooting with this lens underwater. The performance of this lens in a Nauticam housing with 8.5" dome has been outstanding. It's not a very fast lens, but the wide field of view allows for a lot of light. It's difficult to get "character" shots of individual fish, for example, but it's great for underwater seascapes, over-unders (really strong), and the occasional megafauna shot if you're lucky enough to have a close encounter. I know this lens is pricey, but something tells me that if you shoot underwater you're used to the sting...

Rate and Discover Movies