5.0 out of 5 stars Is the switch worth it?
Published on April 3, 2006 by Abdulrahman Aljabri

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product with some limitations
I bought a 30D along with the 580ex flash. I have always bought Canon products (point-and-shoot, SLR film). I used this product for a couple of weeks and thought it did have some limitations. The biggest drawback was underexposed flash images in full auto mode. The most frustrating part was that they look great on the screen during review but, when you look at them on...
Published on November 16, 2006 by C. Uyeda

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the switch worth it?, April 3, 2006
There are probably many people out there who are thinking about buying this camera to upgrade. If you own a 10D then the choice is pretty easy, as you get extra MP plus new features. However, what if you own the XT, is this a worthwhile upgrade? The answer is that it depends if you need the new features. Based on my personal experience, however, the answer is a resonating yes!

Also, if you are trying to decide between buying the XT or the 20D, take a look at the 30D. The 30D offers a great combination of features that you won't find in those two cameras.

SIZE MATTERS: yes my hands are big and I don't like holding the XT. In fact, that's what made the 20D appealing back when I was shopping for my first digital SLR, but it didn't offer much more than that. On the other hand, the 30D size is perfect with a much solid feel than my XT and I get more features with the 30D.

BIGGER LCD: The new 2.5 inch LCD screen (up from 1.8) is so much better than the one on the XT. Now I can look at the picture I have taken and actually see some details. That's very important because it cuts down on nasty surprises that I couldn't otherwise spot while shooting with the XT.

IMAGE PARAMETER: is awesome! I know how to set parameters on my XT to suit the shooting situation (portrait vs. nature for example). However, many of my friends who own the XT don't bother to make any changes. With the 30D, however, changing the parameters is as easy as dialing in what you are shooting. You set it on portrait and no more over saturated pictures of your friends! This new feature makes the professional level 30D extra friendly for amateurs.

1/3 ISO STOPS: That new feature makes taking test shots with the 30D much more enjoyable than with the XT. Hence, no more soft images with low shutter speed or too much depth of field with high aperture. Instead you can sacrifice an extra 1/3 stop of ISO and achieve correct exposure!

Aside from those four great improvements there are few nice features here and there. As for all other aspects of photography, like auto focus and light metering for example, this camera will not disappoint you. It beat my XT in every aspect, except price! Therefore, if you are comfortable making the investment get this camera, it rocks!

PS. ABOUT THE KIT LENS: I personally don't like the kit lens because it focuses slowly, renders colors poorly, and produces marginally sharp pictures. I say marginaly because it's a shame to couple the awesome 30D with such a low performance lens. Instead I would buy the body only and invest few hundred dollars in an excellent prime or a decent zoom. If you are new to photography, however, and not sure what to buy instead of the kit lens consider buying the 50 1.8 Canon lens along with the kit lens. That lens will serve as a good reference point for what you are missing by using the kit lens. Furthermore, the 50 mm lens goes for only $70 new. Use both lenses, learn the difference, and from there decide if it's worth it for you to buy different lenses. Good luck either way.

UPDATE APRIL 6: The 30D auto focus is superior to the Rebel XT. Generally speaking when I am out shooting in the forest preserve I make sure I take few exposures of the same scene without changing the composition. I do that because very often the camera would focus on the wrong object and render my pictures useless. The 30D on the other hand is better it focuses on the right object more often. It's just "smarter" in focusing, which mean that now I can take pictures of more scenes with my 512MB memory card. Prior to that, I had to fill up the card with multiple pictures of the same scenes.

UPDATE APRIL 30: Three new features have come in handy so far. Those are spot metering, controls layout, and ISO display in the viewfinder.

SPOT METERING: can be very useful in taking landscape images. From my experience, the evaluative metering found on the XT and 20D (more so in the XT) tends to create over exposed pictures in tricky situations. I usually take few exposures that are underexposed to combat this. Now with this new feature I can point at the object of interest, obtain an exposure reading, and then recompose and take my picture based on that reading. Thanks to spot metering this new approach provide accurate results and is much more convenient than filling up the memory card with several exposures of the same scene.

CONTROLS LAYOUT & ISO DISPLAY: Those two new features go hand in hand, as it's very easy to use the two wheels on the back and on the top of the camera to change settings that most important of which is (yup you guessed it) ISO speed. Once you change the ISO speed you will see the speed value being illuminated in the viewfinder, truly a piece of mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars IMO, STILL the best buy for the money!, April 6, 2006
JanSobieski (United States of America) - See all my reviews
This camera offers a few well considered improvements over the 20D it replaces. The sensor and processor are the same so the image quality will not differ one iota, BUT an enlarged LCD monitor, spot metering, vastly improved shutter life and ISO displayed on the viewfinder are worthy improvements easily justifying the upgrade from the 20D. If one is considering an upgrade from the 10D my advice would be to definitely go for it. The 20D and 30D both have the "instant on" feature and this represents a vast improvement over the 10D. The 10D was felt by many to have focusing issues and though I did not have any significant problem with my 10D in that regard the 30D represents a substantial improvement in this area. Canon still is not offering (in this price range) a camera with eye control or 45 focusing points, BUT the nine focusing points that ARE offered are well placed and the camera focuses quickly and surely resulting in tack sharp photos.

The pictures this camera takes are simply beyond belief. Beautifully saturated, tack sharp, NO, and I mean NO noise at 400 or below and barely discernible noise all the way up to 1600 ISO. For all practical purposes 1600 ISO is an entirely usable speed resulting in fantastic pictures. What Canon has accomplished in reducing noise and increasing pixel density proves that they are, for now, the technology leader. Canon for now is doing a better job at controlling noise than Nikon though Nikon with the D200 comes pretty darn close except at 800 ISO and above.

The new flash system, ETTL II, available first on the 20D is a vast improvement over previous systems. The in camera processing results in exceptional and pleasing pictures. This camera has a fixed continuous shooting rate which was not present on the 20D. The megapixels stay constant at 8.2 million pixels. Many may be disappointed that the MP count was not increased and feel that perhaps a nominal increase to 10MP would have better justified an upgrade. Canon obviously feels that noise and other features are more important at this point than raw MP's and I would agree. The holy grail of digital photography is now dynamic range. And while this camera offers no improvement in dynamic range I think we can expect to see such improvements in future offerings from Canon and the other manufacturers.

One of the greatest things about digital photography is the ability to build a digital dark room for next to nothing. With the included Photoshop Elements you are well on your way to producing pictures that you could only have imagined in the pre-digital days. I am able to recoup pictures that I never would have considered salvageable before this camera. And while Elements is a great program and more than adequate for most needs I would recommend considering Photoshop CS2 for those who intend to plumb the depths of this hobby.

Another thing I like about Canon is the lens system which IMO is second to none. Also, Canon continues to innovate at a furious pace driving the price of these digital cameras relentlessly downward. This camera is being introduced at a lower price than either the 10D or the 20D. The 5D is plummeting in price and is approaching my "strike point" for purchase. I expect that we will see a sub $2000 10 MP camera with a full frame sensor in the next 18 months. Such are the economics of digital photography. It would seem that Moore's law is driving the prices down inexorably.

So, I LOVE the 30D! LOVE Canon. And LOVE digital. All in all I'd say I'm a pretty happy camper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the switch worth it?, March 31, 2006
This review is from: Canon EOS 30D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars One Amazing WOW-Factor Camera, June 10, 2006
PhoneConnoisseur (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I consider myself an amateur/semi-pro photographer who uses my photo equipment for travel pics for the most part. I wanted to move from film (EOS-3 and EOS-1V) to D-SLR and have waited many years to do so. I could neither justify $4K or $8K for the two high-end cameras either for cost or use. Then the 5D came out and I seriously considered it because it was a true pro-level camera for photographers truly not in the business. And, it has a FF CMOS to boot--no FOVCF to deal with.

Then, Canon brought out the 30D and after doing the comparative homework, the quality is, for the most part, equal and sometimes better than the 5D. For those of us who are not in possession of 300mm+ lenses, the 1.6 FOVCF is super, except, of course, for ultra-wide FOVs.

But camera to camera, function to function, versatility to versatility, or any other category you might wish to compare, the 30D is a superlative camera and a photographer's dream. This camera is truly "WOW! to the MAX."

For those who think that having a pop-up flash should NEVER be on a pro level camera, think again! It's a true plus. With 5FPS for use at sporting events or other fast-moving venues vs. 3FPS for the 5D, this makes the 30D all the better.

So, the 30D along with the unbelievable EF-S10-22mm f/2.5-3.5 USM lens, the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, the EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS UMS, the EF100 f/2.8 macro USM, the Battery Grip BG-E2, the Speedlite 580EX along with the Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX and/or the Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, which is the total equipment I have in my bags, you can't do better.

Oh, I am sure Canon will soon come out with a 40D, but I can't imagine what they could add without moving to the 5D level-camera. In fact, we may soon see the demise of the SLR with less than a FF CMOS, so I advise that if you want the advantages of the 1.6 multiplier SLR, get this camera now. Don't wait; there's no reason to do so and at $1500 give or take, it's very inexpensive for what Canon gives us in return.

What I have not told you is that I purchased both the 30D and the 5D and returned the 5D--for the reasons I iterated above. And I don't regret it, even for a minute.

Nikon can't come close to this camera. There are far more Nikon to Canon convertees than Canon to Nikon and it's for cameras like the 30D that has caused this to occur. Friends of mine that were diehard Nikonites are now Canonites. And I am not aware of any of them who have regretted the move.

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the 20D tradition, August 8, 2006
The EOS 30D isn't much of an upgrade from the 20D, with a few new features such as true spot metering. If you've already got a 20D, you might as well sit tight and wait for the next generation. (The EOS 5D isn't really an upgrade option for 20D owners if they own many EF-S lenses.) However, the 30D is a major step up for those who own the original Digital Rebel or Rebel XT. It offers a more advanced body, faster operation, and a broad range of customization features.

However, I recommend getting the 17-85 IS lens over the 18-55 kit lens, for sharper results and the steadiness of image stabilization.

5.0 out of 5 stars The (almost) Perfect Digital SLR, June 12, 2006
I was always reluctant to switch to digital from film, but last year I tested the waters and bought a Digital Rebel XT. I found that on the job I would opt for my digital more and more until I finally quit bringing my film rig along with me when shooting on location.

I've just recently upgraded to the 30D, and I can say now that this is almost the perfect digital SLR. I love the professional features that the XT lacked, and the 30D also feels much more solid. It balances much better with Canon's professional lenses, and the 2.5" screen makes more of a difference than I thought it would.

The only negative point is that the 1.6x lens magnification factor robs my 24-70 f/2.8L lens of its wide angle capabilities, so I will probably have to buy the 16-35 f/2.8L in order to cover the wide angles I need for some indoor photography at weddings and for photographing music acts in small clubs.

That's really a minor complaint that's easily remedied, though, so I very confidently give the 30D my full recommendation for photographers of all levels and abilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible DSLR Camera, July 23, 2006
I'm new to SLR photography, yet some of the photos I have been able to capture on "assisted" mode have been wonderful. This is an amazing camera.

The main reason I went with the 30D over the RebelXT is because of the better build quality. The camera is very solid and the shutter has been built to last 100,000 clicks.

The battery life is AMAZING. Coming from a wimpy Sony Cybershot (where battery life was 70 minutes with a lithium-ion), I'm blown away. I've taken hundreds of pictures, looked at all of them on the LCD monitor, and the battery still barely takes a hit. Canon includes a lithium ion battery along with a charger, which also blew me away (considering I had to special order $150 worth of parts from Sony for a battery, charging pack and cable).

NOTE: I'd recommend buying the BODY ONLY and put the extra $150+ towards a better lense. The kit lens is decent, but I regret that I didnt buy a better lense with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera overall, November 20, 2006
I had no investment in a DSLR but narrowed my choices to the Canon 30D and the Nikon D200. I had always wanted a Nikon. The D200 is definitely a joy to hold and it did take good pictures (I tried both at a camera store before I bought the 30D). I did a lot of research (more than I care to admit!) and there was no conclusive evidence that one camera had a clear edge over the other. Depending on your specific needs, one camera may be "slightly better" than the other.

After trying out both cameras, I was convinced the 30D was as good a fit for my needs as the D200. For "value for money" the 30D was a clear winner over the D200 (I got mine when Canon had the Cash in with Canon promotion going). Also, as a beginner to SLR I found the 30D with its fully automatic and scene modes easy to start out with. I don't expect to use the scene modes or the full auto mode after a week or two. I expect to quickly graduate to the creative control zones. But to use as a family camera, the quick scene modes are very helpful. If you expect to use it more on a professional basis it'd probably not matter.

Additionally, when I checked it out at the store, I noticed the Canon 30D focused sharply almost every time. The D200 did not at least a few times. I'd take this with a grain of salt though since it was a brief trial at a store. But I thought I'd share my experience. It may have just been an anomaly with the actual equipment I tried out.

Do I still find the Nikon D200 to be a great camera? Absolutely! Do I regret having bought a Canon 30D? Absolutely not! The decision swinger in my case was really the "money factor". I was more than willing to spend up to $300 more for the Nikon D200. But when the difference became $550 it no longer became justifiable for my Christmas gift to myself:-)

My purchases included the Canon 30D [...], Canon 17-85mm EF-S IS USM lens [...], and a SanDisk Extreme III 2GB compact flash card [...]

I plan to add an external flash to this soon, and will consider eventual lenses after I determine that the camera is a long-term keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and white in Camera instead of post production, June 30, 2006
J. DeBonis "Gracie's Mom" (Marin County Ca. U.S.A,) - See all my reviews
If you are anything like me and love Black & White Photography, but don't want to do a lot of processing, this camera is great. The larger screen and the "film type" options are the main differences between this and the 20D and for my money well worth it. You get beautiful black and white results that have much more dimension than usual with a digital camera. I've been shooting with it for a month or so now and really love everything about the camera. I purchased it as a second body and an upgrade to my Rebel XT. I couldn't quite justify the money for the 20D, but with the added "film style" options on the 30D I felt I was getting another dimension that would justify the second body. Now I can carry them both hiking with the dog, have a short lens on one and a long on the other and not have to risk my sensor with in field lens changes. Aside from the black and white being much better than any other I've seen with a digital camera the "landscape film" setting, not the fully automatic picture setting, but the film one really makes the greens in your landscapes pop. The "standard" setting gives you beautiful, accurate colour and great skin tones. I haven't had a chance to play with the other two settings much. The camera is blindingly fast, I have to be careful to not fire off five or six shots the thing is so fast. The alternate 3 fps setting is a nice option to have if you have a slower lens and want to give it time to focus in a sports type situation. The only draw back I had was the size and weight of the 30D compared to my Rebel. I however, am one of the few people I know or have read about that felt the Rebel was the perfect size for my hands. Most people felt they had to add a battery grip onto the Rebel to have enough space to hold on to it. The 30D is much bigger and heavier and that takes some adjusting to, but I have been able to shoot great hand held stuff after just a little bit of aclimization. The battery life is also exceptional. I am still shooting on the original charge of the battery after a month of use. Going back to the black and white, you can also add "filters" to the monochrome settings that save you the cost of getting a red, yellow, orange or green filter to further bring out depth in different situation. I just love this camera. I would rather take the picture I want in camera than go home and play with an exposure that isn't what I had in mind with software and I really feel that I can with this camera. Total die hard Canon fan and started out with a point and shoot Canon two years ago. The quality on that was amazing and with this camera your imagination is your only limitation. I am also bad about reading instruction manuals and find that the menus are pretty intuitive and easy to use. I know I am not utilizing all the potential of this baby and I am still taking amazing photographs! This camera is well worth the money for the serious amature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Quality, December 19, 2006
I own the Digital Rebel XT and was decided to step up to the EOS 30D. I shoot alot of child and family portraits as well as high school sports. The picture quality difference in theses two are amazing. The 30D captures sharper images every time.

The focusing is much quicker and more precise then the Rebel XT and the 30D is a much better camera all around.

The Rebel is great for everyday pictures but for professional quality shots I recommend the 30D.

I also have the Battery Grip for both camera's, a must for doing vertical pictures.

I use the following lenses:

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L ISA USM * Perfect for indoor sports *

Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5 - 5.6 IS * A great investment over the kit lens *

Canon EF 70-300mm F/4 - 5.6 IS * Great for outdoor wildlife *

Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5 - 5.6 * OK for snapshots *

Canon EOS 30D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Used & New from: $125.00