5.0 out of 5 stars Completes an already great camera
Published on November 25, 2009 by C. Franz

2.0 out of 5 stars BG-E7 not weatherproof
The new Canon 7D DSLR is advertised to be weatherproof to more or less the same standard as the 1D series cameras. I must say that I am very pleased with this camera in general and its weather protection seems to be excellent. Indeed I have taken my 7D out into rainy, windy, cold weather and used it all day without protection from the elements.

Unfortunately...
Published on January 14, 2011 by Peter Brackett

5.0 out of 5 stars Completes an already great camera, November 25, 2009
C. Franz (Zurich, ZH Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Why would you need a battery grip? When over a year ago I purchased the battery grip for my 450D ("XSi) I was surprised by how much more I got out of my camera by simply adding a battery grip. It's not the fact that you have twice the amount of battery power - simply getting a second battery pack will do that, and since the grip comes without any batteries, you'll have to purchase that anyway.
No, the best thing about a battery grip is that it literally allows you to get a better grip on your camera. Now, the 7D is somewhat larger than the 450D, and thus this may not be as important to people with smaller hands. But there are more than one reason to add the grip to the 7D: it transforms this great camera into a truly outstanding one:

- first of all, the grip significantly enhances the 7D's handling. Since it is added to the bottom of the camera, it adds some height, making the camera fit your right hand much better. But that's just the beginning. The grip has near-perfect molding (at least for my hand), making holding the 7D so much more comfortable.
- I shoot lots of portraits, and the grip adds shutter button, and main camera controls to the portrait orientation. Being able to hold the camera upright comfortably alone is worth the price of this grip. Again, the mold for this orientation is near perfect.
- (this may look obvious at first, but is often overlooked) you can remove the grip. The reason why I point this out is because with the grip installed, the 7D is very similar in size to the 1D. But if for some reason size or bulk is at a premium, you can take the grip off - something that is impossible with the 1D
- The grip is by no means light, and adds almost 50% of weight to the camera. This is a mixed blessing. The added bulk is noticeable, and on longer field excursions may add some discomfort. On the other hand, it balances the camera better with many of the heavier lenses. The added bulk will prevent you from shooting single-handedly in most situations, as steadying the camera with a mounted L lens now requires significant strength. That being said, the added bulk also makes it less susceptible to small movements, something I discovered to my advantage when shooting with a (non-IS assisted) macro lens.

Energy-wise, the grip is quite cleverly engineered: you can either load one or two battery packs into the grip, and the packs do not have to be charged evenly. You can, therefore, simply take a pack from the grip, load it into the camera, and discard the grip. After a while you can then reload the slightly more drained pack into the grip, and continue shooting with the grip. You can also replace the packs with 6 AA batteries for emergencies. Be carful, though - AA batteries get drained significantly faster than a normal battery pack, and the battery display will not correctly reflect charge status when you use AA.

The grip mounts from below into the 7D's battery bay and tripod mount. The tripod mount is replicated on the bottom of the grip, so you don't lose mountability with the grip installed. Unlike the BG-E5 (the grip for the EOS 450) this grip has much better weather sealing, making me much more comfortable using the 7D in weather. Also like the E5, this grip's 'On/Off' switch does not control power but activates and de-activates the additional (portrait orientation) controls. Battery Pack are conveniently loaded from the back, and do not require a magazine like in the BG-E5. AA batteries do need to be inserted into a magazine first, though.

Although near perfect, the are some minor quibbles I've found:
- there is no way to charge the whole grip with batteries loaded. You have to take the packs out, charge them individually, and then put them back into the grip. Since you can use the grip with only one pack installed this is an inconvenienca rather than annoyance, but still...
- the grip cannot provide power to external flashes. If there is one thing Canon should improve than it is this. I do realize that this would require re-designing the grip - but having a flash feed from the grip would be a godsend, as the batteries in the flash unnecessarily increase bulk.
- the grip's shutter button seems more sensitive than the one on my 7D, causing me to accasionally shoot where I wanted to aquire lock. I would have preferred if both shutters felt the same.
- A battery charge tester in the grip that is usable without turning on the camera (or for that matter: without being installed) would be a welcome addition (the camera *will* tell you the remaining charge)

Summary:
The battery grip turns the already great 7D into an exceptional camera. Especially if you shoot portraits a lot, this grip will immediately let you wonder how you ever got by without it. Although the improvements in handling are not as dramatic as with the BG-E5 (for the EOS 450/500), I feel it is still significant to warrant purchase. As a 'bonus' feature you get the option of doubling battery power, and even use AA batteries in an emergency. As a whole, I recommend this battery grip to anyone who wants to get more out of their (already great) 7D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grips are great - Highly recommended, December 11, 2009
I have been buying all the battery grips for my Canon cameras (10D, 20D, 40D, and now 7D). This is the latest grip I bought for my new 7D. It was also the first accessory I purchased.

Pros:
* Overall GREAT accessory - very useful
* Significantly improves handling and feel of camera
* High build quality and feel
* Improved battery life with two LP-E6 lithium batteries
* Can take 6x AA batteries instead of the two LP-E6 batteries
* Includes a place in the grip to put the battery door so it doesn't get lost
* Well designed with control buttons and knobs
* Makes you and your camera look like a PRO!

Cons:
* It costs a bit of money, but considering the price of a 7D, it worth the added cost
* (minor) Shutter button does not have the same feel as the one on the body - it's easier to activate/more sensitive

2.0 out of 5 stars BG-E7 not weatherproof, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip for the EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Retail Package) (Electronics)

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the Cannon battery grip BG-E7.

I purchased a Canon BG-E7 for my new 7D and without much thought about it, I expected the same kind of weather protection as the 7D itself. No!

I found that the BG-E7 and my 7D to which it was mated quit working after just a couple of hours outside in wind and rain. I removed the BG-E7 and dropped a battery directly into the 7D and like the proverbial Timex watch, the 7D kept on ticking despite the rain and wind.

The BG-E7? It still does not work. I'm going to send my BG-E7 in for 'repair'... but since the basic design of the BG-E7 to 7D physical interface seems to be lacking in sealing, without a redesign of the BG-E7, I doubt if there is anything that can be done to fix the BG-E7 so that it can be used outside in severe weather. We'll see...

My advice? If you are planning to be active with your 7D photographing outside in bad weather do not use the Canon BG-E7 battery grip!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Virtual Demo of this battery grip, December 11, 2011
Length:: 2:11 Mins

I really like this battery grip for my Canon EOS 7D and keep it attached almost all of the time. If you are like me you will want to get a chance to see it before you buy it so I made this short video of a virtual demo of the BG-E7. I hope that it is helpful to you.

CORRECTION: I made a mistake when I mentioned that the power switch on the battery grip controled the battery power. I should have said that it turns on and off the use of the grip's buttons and selection dial. Sorry about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to know why to get this..., November 15, 2010
Everyone has been ranting (for the most part) about this grip. As it compliments an already outstanding product, it's hard for Canon to mess this one up. They didn't, either. In order to break things down, I'm going to talk about the grip on two different aspects, ergonomics and functionality:

1. Ergonomics. 3 stars. Not the grips fault, however, more my hands' fault. I'm no grizzly bear, so my paws don't quite make it all the way around the grip. However, if you find yourself palming boulders, this will probably be your favorite new toy. When shooting vertically, my pinky finger sits right in the corner that my 7d and grip create, and it is quite the comfortable home for this finger. However, when I switch to vertical, I find that the grip is a bit too wide, and a bit too rectangular. If you look closely at the side of a 7d (the right side of it) you will see that it tapers slightly, getting thinner towards the bottom of the camera body. The grip does NOT follow this tapering line, it is much more square. After using the grip for a while though, if you have small hands like mine, you get used to this, so it's not a terrible problem. All that said, the grip itself feels just like the camera does (texture wise) and is sturdy just like the camera body. It's not just textured plastic, but an inlaid rubber grippy material just like the 7d. Plus, there's a little bar on the bottom of the grip to add either a hand strap or any other add-ons you please.

2. Functionality. 4.9 stars. Shutter button, scroll wheel, on/off switch (which simply disables the grip's buttons, but still provides power for the camera when in the OFF selection), zoom buttons, and AF-On button, all work perfectly with the camera. The camera records the battery levels and battery information in the menu just like when the battery was inside the camera, and does this for BOTH batteries (pretty cool). 6-AA's are usable, but will drain in about half the time that a normal canon battery does, so I would only use this in emergencies, and use rechargeable AA's (I find these last longer, and in the long run, they are cheaper and better for the environment). Thus, you must be wondering why 4.9 stars? I've pushed the shutter button on the 7d about 30,000 times so far, and I know exactly what it feels like. The shutter button on the grip is slightly different in "springiness," if you will. Not a deal-breaker though, because that vertical shutter button makes taking portrait shots 200% easier. Also, when using a big L lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 L -- especially if it has IS and/or you use extenders -- the battery grip adds weight to the camera, thus balancing out the weight. What this means is that the center of gravity of the camera and lens together is closer to the camera, (i noticed it is perfectly over the tripod foot, making monopod/tripod use awesome) and this makes the overall feel of the camera nicer.

A few quick notes, just to wrap things up:

vertical shutter release, great for those with meaty paws, optional AA use for emergencies, balances the camera.

a bit bulky and heavy (but you can just hit the gym and pump up those arm muscles), shutter release is *just* off.

I'll never take this thing off, it's near-perfect. I would never buy a non-canon (third party) version, because I know canon never fails to bring the good stuff. If you have any questions please comment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Battery Grip a winner, January 30, 2010
Purchased this grip for my new Canon EOS 7D. It has always been a challenge to hold the camera in portrait mode. Flipping it 90 degrees and then placing your hand in a contorted fashion over the top of the camera is tricky in the best of circumstances and can contribute to having photos out of focus from camera shake. This grip solves that problem easily, and makes taking a portrait framed photo a breeze. The shutter release is duplicated on the battery grip so when you rotate the camera, the shutter release and main controls are right where your fingers need them to be. It does add size and heft to the overall camera, but I find the user interface to actually be improved no matter which way you wont to hold the camera in spite of the additional weight. Another way to think about adding this to your camera is that it turns an EOS 7D into a Mark !, for a lot less money (albeit it is still not full frame, and a few other features are not up to the hefty price tag either).

I strongly recommend considering this add-on. As a side benefit, you place two batteries in the compartment, so it effectively doubles the amount of shooting you can do at one sitting. If I were to suggest any further changes for Canon to make, it would be to allow the grip to be plugged in to re-charge the batteries without the necessity of removing them from the grip. All-in-all a very worthy addition to my EOS 7D.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid 7D Accessory, July 27, 2011
I can't help but laugh inside when I read the reviews of people who insist on going with a knock off brand or complain about spending the 150 or so bucks for this item.... when they own a very expensive 7D camera body and/or an assortment of costly lenses to begin with. Sure, we all want to save a little money, but I'm of the school that you get what you pay for, and this grip certainly is no exception to that rule. First of all, I don't have to worry about the unit not being completely compatible, features that do not work, damaged electronics in my camera, or having to turn my camera off every single time as to not burn up my batteries.... it's a Canon brand grip, and was made by the manufacturer for THEIR camera... and that alone is worth the extra money to me. The quality of the grip is outstanding and has same materials as the 7D, and upon first installing it, I noticed that it completely changed the feel of holding the 7D. That being said, I understand everyone has different sized hands, but this grip fits my hand like a glove, and it makes holding my camera in both horizontal and portrait aspect a complete joy. The buttons are well positioned, and the shutter button on my grip feels and operates very similar to the one on my 7D. Yes, the grip adds a little weight to the camera, but the gain you get in comfort, vertical shooting, and battery life more than justifies this purchase. I highly recommend this grip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double your battery time and easier vertical shots!!!!, November 4, 2009
I had the sister unit to this for my 50D and just upgraded to the 7D. This is almost an identical unit to the last one I had and it works great just like my other one. Get this grip if you have massive hands like I do as it really helps you handle the camera better plus adds the fact you have vertical shot buttons and so much longer battery life. I am no professional but it would always seem like the batteries were dead or close to dead. Not anymore. I charge the batteries every once and a while and I'm good to go for a long time.

On top of all this you can also power your camera with AA batteries as it has a holster that goes into the grip rather than the actual Canon battery packs that cost a fortune. Go buy some rechargeable batteries and your set.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the other models and went with the ..., December 31, 2010
Where I am coming from: I have owned both the Canon BG-E7 and the Vivitar 7D vertical grip, and I have read about the Zeikos. I am an avid amateur shooter that normally shoots outdoors and time lapse, but is now trying studio photo shoots. I have even gone as far as to purchase my own set of Alien Bees 800s.

Similarities:
All three of the above grips have the same redundant controls for vertical orientation while utilizing two standard batteries or 6AA batteries. They have the same controls, strap attachment point, and rubberized grip on front and bottom.

Differences:
The Vivitar and Zeikos have a small ridge that separates the index and middle fingers on the grip. The Canon battery door does feel more secure and the battery tray does have a slightly better fit. Finally, the Canon has the rubberized grip material on the battery door as well. The Vivitar and Zeikos do not have that material on the battery door.

Results:
I went with the Canon because it has the rubberized grip material on the back of the battery door. I have a large hand, the grip is large, and my thumb and part of my palm rest on that battery door which completes my hold on the vertical grip. By having that extra grip material, the camera feels more secure in my hand. This is important considering in some shoots I might not be using a neck strap and am holding a $1500 camera with a $1000 lens that combined weigh several pounds. For me, the extra security was worth the price difference. I understand that that means paying double, but replacing a dropped camera and lens is even more expensive.

Conclusion:
If the more secure feel of the Canon grip is important then get the Canon, if not the go for the Vivitar or Zeikos, they all do the same job.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have to agree with the majority, August 3, 2010
I have to agree with the majority on this one when it comes to all of the positive reviews. It balances my 7d well (as did the Canon battery grip for my backup 50d camera), however I must say that I am suprised at the sensitivity of the shutter release button on this battery grip. It is way more sensitive than what I imagined it would be based off of the reviews that warned me ahead of time. I have a Canon battery grip for the 50d, and that shutter release sensitivity feels more superior than the Canon grip for the 7d. It caught me off guard many times at a wedding in which I switched it off and used the primary shutter release on the camera body to avoid missing a shot. This is the only reason that I am knocking it down to 4 stars. For a product like this to cost $180... I feel that Canon's quality control should have stepped in and evaluated this tiny (but important) issue.

Rate and Discover Movies