5.0 out of 5 stars Made my EOS 60D look and feel even more professional
The battery grip appears to be made of the same rubber and plastic as the EOS 60D, so the two pair up very nicely. My kit lens (18-135mm) causes the whole unit to lean forward slightly when sitting on the table. I am sure the stability would vary depending on the weight of your lens.

Published on July 22, 2011 by Joshua D. Washburn

3.0 out of 5 stars Pricey
I maybe should have bought a knock off, however it works and looks great. Be sure and buy the extra battery (I forgot)
Published 7 months ago by Justin Photog, Dog Trainer, Mo...

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my EOS 60D look and feel even more professional, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Canon BG-E9 Battery Grip for the Canon EOS 60D (Electronics)

I seriously considered purchasing a 3rd party battery grip, but I kept coming across so many bad reviews ("doesn't function properly," "smells bad," "rubber is peeling off," etc.)

When I first inserted the batteries into the BG-E9's tray and attached the grip to my 60D, one of the batteries was not recognized. After removing the batteries and reinserting them, the camera recognized both batteries. The extra tray for 6-AA batteries is a nice feature. However, I read that the 6-AA tray is to be used under emergency situations, not on a regular basis. There is even a nice bag for whichever tray you are not currently using.

Supposedly you can get up to 800 shots per battery (when not using "Live View").

You get what you pay for. Canon's stuff isn't cheap, but it works great!

BOOK RECOMMENDATION
For someone new to DSLRs, like me, I would highly recommend David Busch's book David Busch's Canon EOS 60D Guide to Digital SLR Photography, that is if you own a Canon 60D. It has been VERY helpful to me.

UPDATE - 11/06/2011
I am not sure where I read the stats about battery life. Maybe you get 800 shots per battery when you ARE using "Live View." Recently I took about 7,000 shots at a 2 day volleyball and soccer tournament. I charged both Canon batteries before the tournament. Both batteries still had close to 50% juice left after all those shots. Wow!

5.0 out of 5 stars EOS 60D Battery Grip, December 4, 2010
Yes it adds extra weight but balances the camera out nicely with long tele lens. Combine this unit with the Power2000 LP-E6 replacement batteries and you can easily shoot 500+ images without having to recharge. Extra nice option is the AA battery carrier included so you always have a back-up.

Make sure you attach your camera strap to the bottom of the grip instead of leaving it on the right side of the camera. It stays out of your way when attached to the bottom of the grip PLUS it lets the camera hang lens down which is a nice thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars You pay for a quality product!, March 23, 2011
I must say, this product is fantastic!! You pay for QUALITY. Very rugged & feels it was built to last!
It does add a bit of weight to it, but for me, it balances the whole camera out especially if you have a huge telephoto lens on there.
After using it for quite a while, you will get used to the weight and just holding makes you feel like the camera is more solid!

It comes with 2 magazines. One of which holds 2 LP-E6 batteries and the other holding 4 AA batteries. Also comes with a little pouch for holding the other magazine while the other is in use!

I'm glad I purchased it. And I hope this review helps you decide!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought This After A Knockoff Failed, November 10, 2012
Kenneth Depree (Sosua, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The 60D is the second camera I have used a battery grip on. The first was the Canon T2i and the inexpensive grip that I bought worked fine. When I got the 60D, I immediately bought another inexpensive grip for it. Looked good, fit good, recognized the batteries, and worked fine at first. But then even newly charged batteries would be completely discharged in a couple of days. I assumed there must be something wrong with the camera and made arrangements to send it back. Fortunately, however, before doing so I decided to make some tests. I also did research on the internet and discovered this was a common problem with knockoff battery grips. I then checked the comments of users for all the knockoffs sold by Amazon and found that for each one or two purchasers reported having a problem exactly like what I was experiencing.

Also during my internet research I found reports from testers not connected with Canon that said that the only battery grip never having this problem was the Cannon grip.

Yes, the odds were good that had I bought another knockoff that it would have worked fine, but I did not want to take that chance.

It is also true that since you get more than 1000 shots with the battery for the 60D that you could easily do without the second battery. But I like the grip because it balances the camera very nicely with my zoom lens, and also makes it easier for me to hold.

So I bought the Canon grip and the problem that was so troubling to me is a thing of the past. The peace of mind I now have is worth the extra money I paid to get the genuine Canon grip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Accessory For A 60D... or Any DSLR, September 15, 2011
Having used grip/auto-winders on my 35mm cameras for 30 years and a battery grip on my Canon 10D for the past 8 when it came time to replace the 10D I had to have this grip for my new 60D. The grip houses 2 batteries and that extra life is essential for all day shoots without having to swap out. The great thing about the BG-E9 is it comes with a separate tray for AA batteries should your rechargeable Li-Ions run dry. If you shoot video, uses lenses with Image Stabilization or use the screen a lot, you will chew through power. I rarely run out of juice in both batteries but it's happened once or twice in 8 years. The AA option would have been a great option on those days.

Ergonomically a camera without a grip just feels awkward in my hands, just too light and too small. The grip helps hold steady during longer exposure settings and helps balance out longer/heavier lenses. Canon improved the design between my 10D's grip and this one. The BG-E9 is even more comfortable to hold.

Vertical holding is greatly enhanced by a second set of controls at your fingertips.

Finally, and this is just looks... a grip makes your consumer or prosumer grade DSLR look like the 1D series cameras...minus the extra $3500 ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon BGE9 Battery grip review, December 27, 2010
Ronald Cruz (Dubai City, UAE) - See all my reviews
I love this battery grip. Especially it's made for EOS 60D. It handles nicely - I have medium size hands and no issues. Rubber grip is same material as with the camera body. Good finish matching the body as well - good curves matching the body. Connects tightly with the body with no issues. Button controls are properly placed on the grip. I'm having a great experience with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this grip!, December 29, 2012
Robert "Flightdog" (New Hope, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Background: I have had my 60D for about a year now and found that when I am using telephoto lenses with stabilization at a kids sporting event that I could run a little short on batteries and, as Murphy would dictate, I would be changing batteries right when my son was making that one great move or play.

Research: I looked at the aftermarket versions. I could get one of these for a third of the price, but after reading the reviews and read how others were compromising for quality, I decided that I wanted a genuine Canon part. I purchased mine for under $150, so for an extra $100 bucks I bought first rate compatibility, quality, and design and avoided any nasty concerns ( one buyer of a non-Canon version from Amazon actually almost smoked his camera and had to rewire the grip, so the extra money was worth it to me).

Out of the Box: The grip arrived in excellent condition in the Canon packaging. The instructions were clear and concise and I installed it in minutes without issue.

Features: The grip gives a very integrated look to the camera. I found serval features very nice. Integrated into the unit is storage for your battery door, so you don't have to worry about forgetting where in your camera bag you stowed it. The AA battery tray is great for emergency use. The included storage bag is a nice touch.

Weight and Balance: This is going to add weight to the camera and make it taller, enough so that you are going to notice it on your neck strap, so a good quality strap is a must. They also recommend a hand grip, which I do not own so can not comment on. The balance is good, but the camera does want to tip forward.

Use: My first use was a day at the indoor track with my children doing indoor kart racing. Shutting RAW in the action, portrait, and manual setting modes. I was using a stabilized telephoto lens. I was able to do a day of shooting and reviewing on the camera without worry and still had battery power for family shots that night.

Recommendation: I am very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my camera. Makes the camera fit my big hands comfortably. The extra weight also helps keep the camera steady, March 30, 2013
Makes the camera feel like it is meant to be in my hands. Most DSLR are trying to get smaller, which works for some, but I really appreciate the extra size and weight. Very easy to install and functions perfectly. Its nice now the camera fits the entirety of my hand, especially when using a long lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Portraits!, September 10, 2012
Definitely worth the money if your gonna be shooting portraits!
I shoot a lot of sports and Portraits and am really glad I got this, No more holding the camera sideways and reaching to get the shutter button, just turn in sideways and shoot like normally, no wrist cramps or sore hands!
And having a 2nd battery is nice since you get twice the amount of shots before needing to recharge and if both batteries die you can always insert 6 AA batteries into the grip and shoot about 1200 more photos while the Rechargeable batteries recharge

The only cons about this is when trying to mount camera to tripod this can sometimes get in the way (When mounting 70-200mm F/2.8l) I have to put the lens on the tripod and then connect the camera to the lens otherwise the camera is to large and wont allow it to be mounted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Canon, April 12, 2012
Sure there are plenty of cheep knock-offs available. But, after spending a pile of cash for the camera I'm not sure I would want to power it with circuitry that may not be up to Canon specifications.

My Canon camera with its 3" display is a power hog, and the grip with two batteries installed allows me to get through a wedding, no problem. I also like the extra insurance that I can still use just a single battery, or run from AA cells in a pinch.

You have to remove the battery door from the bottom of your camera to use the grip. The grip comes with a place to store the door so you can keep track of it.

Canon BG-E9 Battery Grip for the Canon EOS 60D