5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Accessory to the 5D Mk. II
I purchased this grip while my Canon EOS 5D Mark II was still on preorder. In fact, it arrived a week before the camera did. I did this because I fell in love with the feel of a vertical grip a long time ago, and every camera I've had since then has had one added almost immediately (including: EOS Elan IIe, D-Rebel 300D, 30D, and 40D).

The grip is a real...
Published on January 5, 2009 by Jeff Kraus

2.0 out of 5 stars overpriced... & poor construction?
Published on August 15, 2011 by Kevin Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Accessory to the 5D Mk. II, January 5, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon Battery Grip BG-E6 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

The grip is a real benefit to those like me that have big hands, since all of your fingers can now rest against the camera instead of curling up underneath. It's also a great counterweight when shooting with heavy lenses such as the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L. The arrangement of the vertical shutter release and related buttons on the side makes for very comfortable vertical shooting.

The grip duplicates the shutter button on the lower right corner of the camera, as well as the series of buttons (AF-ON, EL/FEL, and focus point select) that are normally under your right thumb on the camera body. So when you are shooting vertically, all of these buttons are in the standard location and you can shoot as you would horizontally, without having to reach your hand across your forehead to shoot. The grip also has an on/off switch that defeats these buttons when they're not needed, so they aren't accidentally pressed.

The grip accepts one or two LP-E6 batteries, and includes a tray for emergency use that can be loaded with 6 AA batteries. While you can get a couple hundred shots off with the AA's, that number drops off quickly with a lot of LCD use, and there's no point in even TRYING to use the AA's to shoot video. I carry the tray in my bag in the VERY unlikely event that I manage to drain both of my LP-E6's. You can find AA's anywhere in a pinch.

With the two LP-E6's installed, the 5D Mark II will register both of the batteries and list their statistics simultaneously in the Battery Info screen. The Shutter Count numbers even operate independently. For example, after a long day of shooting (over 1500 frames), the Battery Info screen told me that Battery 1 was responsible for 806 frames, while Battery 2 was responsible for 746 frames. At this point, the batteries still showed a 78% charge on each one.

------------
[Edit 01/08/2009] I have a shoot tonight that I need to be safe for, so I'll be charging both of my batteries before I leave. But I wanted to update my battery info for those that are interested in how long two batteries will last: Battery 1: Shutter Count 1400, 60% charge remaining. Battery 2: Shutter Count 1318, 61% remaining.
------------

Grips for lower-end and earlier cameras (such as the grip for my D-Rebel 300D, etc) were made entirely of plastic and had too much flex when attached to the body -- it almost felt like you could break it right off. That is NOT the case with this grip. It feels as solidly built as the camera itself, and there is absolutely zero flex. It is also weather sealed around the buttons, battery compartment and dummy stalk, so you won't need to worry about it being the weak point in your camera's weather sealing.

The bottom of the grip has a fluted rubber base to reduce slippage and a sturdy tripod socket. It also has a strap mount for use with Canon's hand strap (you use the one on the grip, and the right strap mount by the shutter to install the hand strap).

Finally, as is the case with the BG-E2(N) (but not earlier models), there is a spot for you to store the camera's original battery door since it won't be in use while you have the grip attached.

If you have small hands or often worry about camera weight, you may want to try this out in a local camera shop before committing to the (admittedly expensive) purchase. The weight of the grip plus an extra battery is not negligible, and for those with small hands, it may just make the camera unwieldy. Otherwise, you'll want this. Definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Canon BG-EG Battery Grip, September 15, 2009
I'm primarily a wedding shooter and as such I lug around usually at least two camera bodies and various lenses on top of that; so one would think that adding extra weight wouldn't be the first thing that I'd prioritize? Yet, that is one of the primary reasons that I add the battery grip to at least one of my bodies. Why? The extra weight actually balances the camera better in your hands when you have one of the heavier lenses on, like the 70-200/2.8 IS wedding workhorse telephoto lens. Thus it's easier to take a photo that is crisp and sharp, even thought the net weight is actually more than without.

Of course the battery grip also adds the an extra set of the most essential buttons, conveniently located when you shoot vertical. And shooting vertically I do in probably easily 75% or more of all the shots in a day's work. But what about the extra battery and the added battery life? Yes, of course there is that, but for me personally that isn't one of the top two for getting this particular accessory. Having said that, of course it's convenient not to have to worry about swapping batteries as often as with out or having to shut down the camera to preserve power and risk missing an awesome shot.

The only drawback for me, is that although I've never had it come loose or anything like that, the actual mounting feels a bit flimsy for an accessory of this magnitude. Maybe I am biased as I'm used to shooting the 1D series and thus of course used to the battery grip being part of the camera body. Still I feel that it should feel more solid than it does now. One thing worth pointing out is that as you take off the original battery compartment door, it fits into a slot on the actual grip before the whole thing inserts into the camera, thus if you're in the field and for some reason decide that you want to take off the grip, the original door is right there ready to be re-fastened in its place.

All in all I'd easily recommend this accessory to anyone serious about their shooting, especially with telephoto lenses on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely required if you need lens support and long shooting life, June 22, 2009
I've always bought battery grips for every Canon dSLR I've owned. Sure, it's an expensive piece of equipment, but if you're spending a lot already on a higher end camera, what's a few hundred more? (as my credit card groans)

The battery grip holds two of the newer Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack for Canon 5D Mark II Digital SLR batteries, and both are registered on the camera so you can see the percentage of charge left. That in itself is amazing - however, it requires you to buy the rather expensive Canon LP-E6 batteries instead of generic equivalents. The grip works fine with generic batteries, but you don't get the detail of percentage left and shutter count.

It also has a battery magazine for holding 6 AA batteries. This is pretty much treated as an emergency effort.

The additional benefit of a battery grip for me is that as a bigger guy with bigger hands, I can't get a good grip of the camera body. And any of the heavier white lenses (70-200's, 100-400) put some serious torque on my wrist so after a day of shooting, I'm sore.

The grip itself is pretty solid, and doesn't feel cheaply made. There's no flex to it when you hold the camera by it and throw it around. The shutter button and the dial to hold in portrait mode is pretty handy, so you're not contorting your right hand to press the shutter.

The only real knock on this is the price. I know, it's well made, but it just seems like an additional insult. Overall this gets 4.5 stars. It's absolutely worth buying, but be prepared to gripe about the price to your fellow 5D Mark II owners. It's a bonding experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars overpriced... & poor construction?, August 15, 2011
I've owned the BP-E6 for 14 months and last weekend after a wedding the adjustment wheel snapped while trying to remove the grip from the camera. The repair cost is close to $100.00. I felt the grip was overpriced to begin with but now I'm very disappointed. I'm purchasing a 3rd party grip today from Zeikos for under $80.00. At that price, I can buy several! For all intents and purposes the 3rd party battery grips work exactly like the the Canon, see a review:

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Needed Grip, August 20, 2009
If you have the 5D MKII, my strong suggestion would be to get this.

Reasons being (strictly my point of view) -

- Makes the camera feel *complete* in balance while shooting
- Solid, strong build
- Vertical shooting is so easy with this
- Battery compartment offers (2) methods of powering the camera; by AAA batteries or using (2) lithium batteries (you know, the one that came with the camera...just have to get another one and you'll be shooting for a very long time!!)

Would definitely also recommend getting the E1 handgrip strap. It cost a little for a lot of insurance especially if you're going to be doing a lot of handheld shooting with the added weight of the grip...you definitely don't want to drop your baby...and this grip will definitely help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but necessary..., September 28, 2009
i bought this when there weren't any knockoff battery grips. if i buy another 5d II in the future, i'm probably getting a plastic knockoff grip for my 2nd camera.

the way i shoot, i HAVE to have a battery grip. i don't mind turning my wrist, but the time it saves me later straightening out all of my pictures makes it well worth it. plus, who can't use the extra battery life?

other than that, everything works exactly how it's supposed to. the grip matches up perfectly with the 5d mk II's body and stays tight/looks great. every once in a while i'll set it on my lap and accidentally take a few pictures or accidentally hit the shutter button while reviewing pictures...but all user error.

i rated this a 4 because it's a little expensive. granted, i paid $300 for mine and now you can get them almost 20% cheaper than that. if you can't afford it or don't want to...read reviews, you'll see there are some very good 3rd party plastic grips for the 5d II and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra $160 or not.

-Adam

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider your usage before you buy!, September 22, 2011
Here is who this grip will benefit:

- Those who shoot in portrait orientation frequently.
- Those who need additional support for very large or very telephoto lenses.
- Those who require additional battery life over what a single LP-E6 can provide.

If you fall into one of those categories, this grip is probably a good buy from you. However, some caveats:

- Even though the unit is built reasonably well, when combined with the 5DII, the structural integrity of the unit as a whole is mediocre. Though just as large as one, it is no where near as solid as a 1-series camera body.
- When supporting heavy lenses in portrait orientation by the grip, there will be some flex in the unit. This is especially noticeable if using it when using it on a tripod in portrait orientation.
- The 5DII loses it's slim profile with the grip attached. By itself it makes a reasonably compact DSLR, but with it, it's a full sized beast and you will not be subtle carrying it around. You may or may not care about this.

A single LP-E6 in a 5DII is good for maybe 1100-1300 shots when it's new. With two of them in this grip you might get 1800-2000 shots on a full charge with new batteries. It's a big increase, but due to electrical inefficiencies within the grip, you won't get exactly twice as many pictures. Still though, 1000+ images per charge per battery is great performance and it only takes a few seconds to swap out a battery.

Overall I would recommend this grip to users of very large, heavy lenses and for those who shoot in portrait orientation a lot. For most others, the smaller size of the 5DII is probably going to outweigh the benefits in battery life you get from using two batteries at once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves an already-good camera, but expensive, November 26, 2010
JLK (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Although I'm only 5'7", & have relatively small hands for a guy, I found that this grip IMPROVED the comfort of holding the 5DII, and the added mass really seems to help in holding the camera steady. I was originally concerned about the weight, & thought I would load just one battery, but find that I love the solid & stable feel I get with both batteries in place. And it is definitely more stable for vertical shots. Now that I've used it, I never want to be without it.

On the downside, I see no dust or water seals. And occasionally, no matter how tightly I attach it, if held at just the right angle, it will cause the focus-point indicators to come on in the viewfinder, as if the button had been pushed. But since it doesn't change the focus-point setting, & the indicators can be turned off by just pushing the button, it's not a big deal.

And of course, it's ridiculously expensive, but welcome to the world of brand-name camera accessories! After considerable research, I came to the conclusion that the cheap 3rd-party grips were too much of a crap-shoot, & the savings weren't worth the risk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy this from Canon, August 11, 2011
James Secrest (TORRANCE, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I saw several battery grips for my D5 mark II ranging in price from $50 to $300 the ones made by canon were the most expensive, but did not seem to have great quality. In my second week of shooting the strap holding pin on the bottom gave way and I almost lost my $3k camara and lens. I paid like $ 260 for the thing, it did not seem to monunt very securely for being made for this camara. So I am going to buy a cheap one and see how it works out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake canon piece and worst service ever, January 19, 2014
I bought a canon grip from this seller and when received found out it was a non original/ fake piece. I did research and found it from this site, where they show all the differences from the original one, be careful: [...]

I live outside the US and last week i had the chance to travel to LA and returned it, unfortunately the seller says never received it and doesnt want to respond or make the refund. The service is the worst I've ever had: I wrote many emails communicating my issue but they respond always with a one word answer, rude and not willing to help!

I would not reccommend this seller to anyone... Fake stuff and bad service.