Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

on June 20, 2014
First, let me say, I love my BG-E13 battery grip! Yes, it makes the camera quite a bit heavier, and bulkier, but it adds a lot of stability to the platform, and makes carrying it a lot easier. From the day I put my battery grip on my 6D, I haven't removed it. It has gone on several photo shoots with me, and the extra battery life and duplicate set of controls (in the portrait orientation) have really made the purchase worthwhile.

This is probably the single most productivity enhancing add-on I have purchased to date. If you've got a 6D, and you shoot more than a few portrait-oriented photographs, you really need this battery grip!
review image review image review image review image
on March 1, 2013
Like all Canon grips, this one fits flawlessly and balances the camera well. My only nitpick, and it's very minor, is that the batteries go into a tray which then slides into the grip. The grip for my 7D allows you to open the door on the front and pop in one or two batteries. Much quicker. But again, this is a minor thing as I don't have to change batteries very often.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
1) The aftermarket grips drain the batteries if you leave them in the "on" position.
2) Weather sealing is compromised unless you use the canon official, really want to risk your body with a drop of rain while shooting in portrait?
3) The canon matches the 6D to a T, it's absolutely the best fit, better than the 70D grip fit, and better than the 5D II grip fit IMO.

Spend the extra money and be happy in the long run of things. While the cost is greater, the benefits are also much greater, including resell value down the line hangs on much more than aftermarket grips for when you decide to upgrade. If you are reading this review, I do not need to inform you why you may need a grip, you already know this. What you need to understand is why spend twice the price (3 times the price at the time of writing this vs the vello). It is worth it. You will not regret it.
on July 5, 2014
Fits perfect, as you'd expect from Canon FOR Canon. I had bad luck with an off-brand on the 6D before I got this.... I decided to bite the bullet and get the Canon, even though I feel it's over-priced (hence the 1-star-off). But, it definitely matches, and feels right.

Here's something to note, which is different from the grip I had on a previous Canon DLSR: this one uses each battery individually, running one down before going to the next. At first, I thought I might have a battery that couldn't hold a charge, because when I'd re-charge, I'd find one battery was very drained, and the other not at all drained. After some testing, I found it will use the 'outer' battery bay, then move to the 'inner' bay. (Which is fine - just good to know there's not a problem with my batteries.)
on November 30, 2013
Overpriced but after two failed generic brand grips I didn't have a choice. Of course, it works great and is one of the best accessories you can get (aside from a high quality tripod). Only reason it got 4 stars is because it's overpriced.
on March 15, 2013
The main reason I bought this grip was to have more power while shooting spectacular auroras all night long in the Arctic! It worked great and I never ran low during numerous very long nights, taking thousands of pics, in sub-zero temps. Now, back home in the desert southwest, I find it difficult to remove the grip because it not only provides lots of power but the physical extension provides wonderful support when shooting the moon and a particular comet freehand with a 500mm lens! And, it provides extra mass and a good base for mounting on a tripod. Both batteries communicate with the camera and you can run with just one battery or the AA's of course. Awesome grip! Easy to install, works perfectly, would certainly buy again.
on January 22, 2014
I'm a professional photographer and when my old 5D Mark II I had a couple of cheaper grips, but they didn't last or resisted my heavy use, until I bought the Canon grip. With my new 6D, I went directly to the Canon Grip and I'm very happy.

The only thing I would change on the design, but it's not very important to reduce a star in my rating is the battery cassette. I'd like a back door where you have direct access to the batteries, instead of remove the cassette from the side and then replace the batteries.
As I said is not important, becasue I never change batteries in the middle of my weddings or events. Sometimes I shot over 2000 shots and still have enough juice to keep shooting.
on February 19, 2013
Gives the perfect amount of added weight and balance. Haven't had to worry about the batteries running out at all, and I went out shooting for three hours yesterday without having charged them first. Love the look, weight, shape, added functionality for portrait shots, and the price was great on Amazon.
on December 8, 2013
This is my second Grip from Canon. Beware that it adds a lot of bulk and weight to the camera, but you get a better grip and double the battery life. It also makes it easy to remove the batteries while the camera is not used. Remember that the 6D trickles power even while off….so you need to remove the batteries if you are not going to use it for a while. For people with big hands this is great specially if you use big lenses.
on June 8, 2015
If you're thinking of getting a grip for your 6D, and you aren't sure if you should drop the extra 140 bucks on the legit Canon versus the knock-offs... well let me tell you - save up if you have to and get the real deal. All of the other knock-offs you'll find just don't fit right, or feel right, or they won't work 100% the time (it will fail at the worst time... every time). This one however, is flawless.

Like most official Canon products the build quality is excellent. I actually ran a shuffleboard puck into my camera (long story). It was a direct hit on the grip and there wasn't a mark on it - no issues - works flawless to this day. I've used it in dew, at 18,000 feet, in 10 degree weather, you name it - I'll say it again, it's solid.

Basically, if you're thinking of getting a grip here's what you should consider:

1. Do you take at least some portrait shots? Do you like taking them at all?
2. Are you ever away from a the ability to charge batteries for extended periods of time? (camping, hiking, boating, etc...) Or do you just want longer shooting sessions without battery swaps?
3. Are you ok with nearly doubling the weight of the camera body? (to be honest, it's never once been an issue for me)

If you can answer yes to those questions then it's a no-brainer - get this grip.