Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon SELPHY CP910 Compact Photo Color Printer, Wireless, Portable (Black) (Discontinued By Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 15, 2014
This printer is great for casual use and if you are not particularly picky about your photo quality.

The photo paper that feeds through this prints slightly smaller than 4x6. It's frustrating because the photo prints as a 4x6 image but there are perforated sides to tear off and those go through the printed image. The actual photo size is 3mm short on the long side. I got this printer to use with Project Life which has photo pockets specifically at 4x6, and these photos are slightly too loose and you can see gaps through the photo pages. Also, if you use these in photo frames, they will be slightly too small. I know this is the printer review and not the photo paper, but since Canon specifically states to use this photo paper, I feel like I need to include this in the review.

The photo quality is great for an at home printer. I've printed photos before on all-in-one printers and this prints quality photos quickly and smoothly with no drying time. The machine feeds the paper through 4 times and puts layers of color on before finishing. I had little to no lag time in printing.

However, the quality is not up to speed with those you order through an online/store retailers. Photos I order online and have shipped to my home are crisp quality. Photos printed with the SELPHY come out nicely but are not very crisp, glossy and the colors are not as vibrant.

PROS: very convenient home use, quick prints without lag, no drying time, able to crop photos on screen, usb/sd card connectivity

CONS: expensive photo paper required, prints are slightly smaller than 4x6, colors are not vibrant, photos are not as crisp as professional quality, not all photos are compatible with the display view on printer
1515 comments|469 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2015
I just bought this little printer and hooked it up wirelessly to both my laptop and my phone. LOVE IT!! For Android you need to download the app called Canon Easy-Photo Print. For your laptop/desktop just download the software at canon. Once you've done that printing can be done wirelessly and is a breeze. I will mostly be printing 4 x 6 size but I do like smaller for scrapbooking so I was a little disappointed to find out that this printer won't print smaller than 4 x 6.That is UNTIL I figured out how to circumvent this. Just add a border to your photo using photo software program like photoshop (I'm sure any photo software will do this). Add a white border that will decrease the photo to the size you want. For example the normal print size is 4 x 6 if you add a two inch border and print that picture the finished picture itself will be 2 x 3 just cut it out and viola a small photo. Now that I have figured this out I'm even happier with this printer.
Now for the print quality. I find it excellent. No, it's not as good as a professional print shop and by professional I mean a printer like ProDPI. It does print every bit as good as Walgreens or CVS or Wal-Mart. The color is bright and the image is sharp even after adding the border.
Some people have mentioned that the full 4 x 6 picture prints into the perforated border and they're losing some of the image. I don't know how this is happening because the perforated border is only one the 6 inch sides and from what I've seen the amount of picture that prints into the border is less than 1/4". If you're printing portrait this might pose a problem but a simple solution is to choose the 4 x 6 with border option and your border will be into the perforated section. I hope this review helps you decide on the printer.
review image
11 comment|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2014
Well, count me in the 5 star group. I'm loving this thing.

I bought it so that I could have a "box of pictures" like when I was young (many of you aren't young enough to remember how pictures USED to be viewed lol...) We used to sit around the kitchen table and look through the shoebox full of pictures. We'd pass them around and talk about them...read what was written on the back...it was like a time capsule.

Very different from today's Flickr/instagram method.

This printer delivers..period. It's quick, easy to use, and the print quality is plenty good enough at 4x6 size. I have no complaints except that it's a bit touchy when setting up the wireless aspect but a call to Canon got that sorted out very quickly.
review image
22 comments|209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2014
My son bought this canon when my HP photo maker quit on me. I was very optimistic when I saw the size of this printer,then when i was able put photo paper in it, the ink in it,and print my first photo all without turning a single page of the owners manual. One of my favorite features is the ability to send pictures to this printer from my cell phone. All you have to do is download the app. on your phone. I have only sent pictures to my printer from my phone while i've been home. But it was very simple and fun. I use my cell often taking pictures and it's convenient that I don't have to remove the SD card from my phone. The pictures are very vivid, bright and there is ZERO dry time. But the very best part is, if you have children,or grandchildren is the ability to actually watch the picture being "made". My granddaughter loved watching. Also it is so portable you can easily take it anywhere,Parties,weddings, showers,even your child's school events. It measures at 7" wide,2" high, and 5" department. The photo paper tray mounts in the front and hangs out about 7 1/2". This color printer is perfect for anyone who can't handle, or doesn't want complications when it comes to family pictures. Because of it's size, it can be placed in any nightstand drawer,or in a spare drawer in the kitchen. I am planning to purchase one for my daughter inlaw for her birthday. Oh yeah,I forgot replacement ink and paper is very reasonably priced, the way the canon is designed is also easy. No guess work. For example ,you buy a refill kit with 30 sheets, it comes with enough ink for those 30 pictures. No need guessing whether you have enough red, black ,or any ink at all. Also only one cartridge for the ink. My opinion is a very busy mom played a role interest design of this canon selphy. Buy it, try it.
0Comment|287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2015
PROS:
-Compact (W x L of an average book)
-Easy set up
-"WiFi" and direct connection options
-USB, SD card, and camera cable port
-Simple menu options
-Color options for printing (vivid, BW, sepia)
-Gloss seal is of quality, no fingerprints
-Convenient home printing to share simple prints with close family and friends

CONS
-Compromised image quality (see photo)
-Perforated edges on photo paper
-"WiFi" is inconsistent, have to keep re-connecting with each print run
-Will crop your photo without warning therefore wasting ink before you realize half your face didn't make the cut
-Buttons are slow to respond, I usually press every button twice

Overall I think this suits the average household with standard photo printing needs. My parents for instance, do not care about image quality or color. They wouldn't notice things like that. For me personally I say 3 stars but I give it a 4 because I think most people would be happy with it.
review image review image
on October 31, 2014
gets the job done, you cant compare to a store bought print, lie from walmart or something. The quality is alright but the pictures have some tiny color splotches that would go unseen usually but I am a detail oriented person and mind those little blips. Its barely noticeable tho.

Thank me now because I am about to make you life sooooo much easier. It took me forever and a day to connect my phone to the printer and I am going to help!

Printer:
1. Go on the printer click the menu button
2. go down one click and click on WiFi settings
3. two clicks down - click on Wi-Fi (by manufacturer settings the wifi is disabled make sure it is enabled)
4. one click up - click into "Connection Method" - Select the "Direct Connection" click ok
5. Now your all set in the printer - Yay!! - just click the back button a couple times to go to the main page.
6. when in the main page click "ok" button on printer it should show a white box on the screen that says ("Connect target device to the displayed access point and print) This has your wifi password.

Cellphone
1. OK so first thing first go to wifi settings on your phone and search for the cp910 connection - do this by just scanning for nearby devices.
2. it should come out as "CP910 - ******
3. click on that and press connect - a password box will appear on your screen. type the password given to you by the printer (step#6)
4. now it should be connected to the wifi - the phone HAS to be connected to the printer's wi-fi every time so you can use it!!!
5. Now that all that is done go to the Google Play store or Apple Store and install the app named "Canon Easy - PhotoPrint" it's free.

to print an image:
1. Go into the app once installed and click on Images
2. Select the image you want and press "Print"
3. review page will appear and you can see how many pics you have selected and can click on them to make them larger.
4. Now that everything is good and your satisfied with the photo selected press " print"
5. Its going to ask you to scan for the printer. Just click ok
6. once its paired you can go ahead and print - your going to have to do it all over again though so just do this first time with just one photo so you don't waste time lol
7.then once everything is finished watch the magic happen

***I should warn you that the printer comes with only 5 printing papers so you should buy the pages as well. I didn't and now I have to wait to go to the store and buy them or order them online.
on October 20, 2014
Canon does not keep it's drivers for this printer updated in a timely manner and STOPS WORKING EVERY TIME YOU UPGRADE OS X.
When OS X Mavericks came out COULD NOT PRINT FOR ALMOST A YEAR UNTIL CANON RELEASED A DRIVER FOR MAVERICKS.
NOW UPGRADED TO OS X YOSEMITE AND CANNOT PRING AGAIN AND CONTACTED CANON WHO SAID THEY HAVE NO PLANS TO RELEASE A DRIVER FOR YOSEMITE = THIS PRINTER IS NOW USELESS.

This is important to keep in mind when buying any printer.
By the way, Epson has updated Yosemite drivers for my Epson printer
1414 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2015
Didn't work right. Left white line down pics.
review image
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2014
I have had 3 of these printers over the years. They are convenient, compact, and work well for a while. Each and every one has failed because the replacement ink cartridge will jam and cannot be removed. I was in a store just yesterday to replace my current SELPHY and the ink cartridge in the store floor model was already jammed! No more of these for me.
11 comment|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2014
UPDATE 8/14/15: I have barely used this thing over the course of a year and a half, and the CP910 just refuses to print. It complains about paper size even when using a brand new pack of Canon branded paper and a new cartridge. This issue is consistent between my iPhone and my Mac. I have contacted Canon support via email and hope they'll offer some insight. I've dropped my rating based on how I feel about the product at this moment. If Canon makes things right, I'll adjust my review accordingly.

**Original Review**
We are a new media firm creating content for education and corporate clients. We also provide technology workshops for educators wanting to learn how to incorporate Apple technology into their classrooms. Photography weighs heavily in our workflow, so our standards for photographic prints are probably higher than most. When you invest time and resources into a calibrated, color-corrected imaging workflow, you tend to be picky about the output of your work.

Given that background, we're not thrilled with the output quality of this printer. Even drug-store and big-box store prints look far better than what this printer can produce. Granted, we haven't done much with this printer, but we are familiar enough with available options to pass judgement on this Canon. I would not remotely consider using this for client work.

However, for kid projects, this is a compelling purchase.

And, this is what I consider the sweet spot for a printer such as the CP910 - occasional photo prints for casual projects. When our kids have school projects requiring photos of the family and such, this is the perfect answer. No ink to dry out. No need to switch paper in the main printer, etc…

We purchased this printer to include in our educator professional development workshops. As an AirPrint capable printer, this is a great, compact solution to demonstrate in schools that have deployed iPads. On a per-print basis, a standard inkjet printer would be more cost effective. So, we're mainly using this to demonstrate AirPrint in our workshops.

Perhaps it's unfair, but I docked a point for the lack of prints I can make right out of the box. Sure, I wouldn't knock a regular printer for not including a ream of paper, but this one does require specialized supplies. Would have been nice if I could have gotten at least 20 prints out of this thing to decide if I wanted to throw more money at supplies.

I also dropped a star for print quality. Again, maybe my standards are too high, but I'm hoping this review is helpful for anyone considering the product. If it's any consolation, we're ordering the ink/paper pack - despite it's shortcomings, we're keeping the CP910.

Pros:
1) AirPrint - really the only reason we bought this!
2) No ink to dry out
3) Small
4) Easy to set up
5) Convenient for the scenarios described above

Cons:
1) Print quality
2) limited print sizes
3) Didn't come with a battery (like an older model we had)
4) Only a handful of prints included (i.e. the photo card stock and "ink").
66 comments|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse