5.0 out of 5 stars Best under-$200 scanner you can buy. And QUICK.
Published 19 months ago by D. Graves

Published 9 months ago by Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars Best under-$200 scanner you can buy. And QUICK., February 11, 2013
This review is from: Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Color Image Scanner (Office Product)
I tend to have about 3 scanners at any given time: a higher-end flatbed (for photos and film) and two economy models for my antiqarian book business, one newer with a 'good' glass surface (few, if any, scratches) and the second-newest one which usually has scratches, used for rougher items. In other words, I use scanners quite a bit and know a good one when I see it; and this new MKII version of the 9000F is quite good.

SPEED: The most important aspect of a scanner for someone who does a lot of scanning is speed: speed in warming up, speed in scanning in high-res. The 9000F MKII is excellent at both, better than my $700 Epson V700 (with one exception). The difference lies in the LED technology of the new Canon. My first thought was that LED may produce inferior results but this is certainly not the case, after analyzing the results. And because the LEDs don't need warming-up, 'warm-up time' is a thing of the past. The one exception in speed tests is scanning at high-res with Canon's FARE software turned on: very slow indeed. However, I personally always make raw scans and then batch-process them in Photoshop, so this is not a factor for me. With FARE turned off, the speed is very good, even in high-res.

SOFTWARE: The second most important aspect of a scanner is software, both the user interface and the correction software. Canon's UI software has always been inferior to Epson in that it is dumbed-down and kind of clunky in comparison to the customizable and fluid Epson UI. However, there are now big improvements in this area: I was amazed - really, amazed - at how well Auto Scan Mode works: excellent recognition, cropping, scanning and saving files in just one click. Scary good, really. Auto Document Fix (as opposed to photo fix with FARE) is also quite advanced and, for example, makes text as clear as possible - automatically. And while settings are fully customizable, as Epson's are, Canon still lags behind a bit, clearing your settings at times (Epson requires the user to reset, which is better). One software feature that, again, amazed me, was 'Gutter Shadow Correction': as a book dealer I often scan pages within books; this feature automatically recognizes the gutter shadow (the crevice between pages) and eliminates it. Wow.

QUALITY: Let's make this simple: today, even low-end scanners have incredible quality. You are getting what 5 years ago would be a $1,000 professional scanner. To get caught up in dpi and microscopic analysis of scan results is a bit too much when you're talking about a $170 scanner. The highest usable dpi for reflective media is about 3600; anything beyond that is useless (i.e., the scanner's dpi exceeds that of the photo you're scanning!). For film - certain, high-res film - maybe 4800dpi comes into play. Beyond that, get a film scanner - that's why God invented them. To expect the Ferrari of imaging devices for $170 is a bit much. This is why I've always had a separate photo scanner in addition to lower-end scanners for other uses. The 9600 dpi CCD sensor on this scanner is superb. This 9000F MKII has tremendous image quality; don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

One unexpected feature is the fact that the scanner includes not only 35mm film capability, but medium format as well. On the downside, Canon no longer bundles Photoshop Elements with the scanner.

As for new bells and whistles, the major differences between the original 9000F and the MKII (aside from the improved optical quality) are the external 'EZ Buttons': touch a button for instant copy/scan/email/pdf functions.

All in all, an excellent scanner and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scanner but quirky software, use my links to view high-resolution scans of 35 and 120 mm film, September 16, 2013
I bought the CanoScan 9000 F Mark II scanner in March, 2013 for $179.00 and use it primarily to scan 35 mm and 120 mm film. So far I have scanned over 1,000 frames. I have uploaded low-resolution images to the Amazon site (11/26/13.. Amazon has deleted these images), and have provided (below) links to high-resolution scans. Rather than taking my word, or anyone else's, on the quality of this scanner, look at the images it has produced and judge for yourself. The links will take you to my photography web site. To view an image at a higher resolution, click on the "sizes" icon at the far-right bottom of the page; the "original" option is the highest resolution available.

1.Cowboys [...]
This and the five photos that follow were shot on 120 mm Fuji Velvia (transparency) film in October 1980.

2.Moth [...]
This and the seven photos that follow were shot on 35 mm Kodak Ektachrome (transparency) film in 1977.

3.Key West [...]
35 mm Kodak Ektacolor (negative) film shot in 1974.

4.Santa Barbara [...]
120 mm Kodak Vericolor Professional (negative) film shot in 1988.

5.Biscayne Bay [...]
35mm Kodak Kodacolor II (negative) film shot in 1972.

For the money, I don't think you could buy a better scanner; however, the software, could be better.

The Canoscan offers three programs for scanning film: Auto Scan, Custom Scan and Scan Gear. It also comes with another program, Image Garden, for cataloging and filing images. I am currently using Adobe Lightroom to do this and do not care to switch.

To run Auto Scan you simply push the auto button on the scanner. The scanner detects whether you are scanning film, photos or documents, automatically selects the resolution and file format and sends files of each image to your computer. In regard to film, the Auto Scan will scan only 35 mm film in the JPEG format at 1200 dpi. If you want a TIFF format and / or a higher resolution, you must activate the Custom Scan or Scan Gear from your computer. The auto and custom scan programs will scan only 35 mm film while the Scan Gear program scans 35 mm and 120 mm formats and lets you make corrections on a low-resolution preview. I generally use Scan Gear for all my film scans because I can select which frames to scan from the preview; the other programs scan every frame.

For the most part, the programs work OK, but are far from perfect. Each program requires you to designate a folder on your computer that will store the scanned images. If you create different folders for each program you will get triplicate files of the same images no matter which program you use.

While the scanner's uncorrected output is pretty good, a serious photographer would probably want to make post-scan adjustments using more specialized software such as Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. The Scan Gear program can make useful adjustments, such as flip or rotate, but does a terrible job on the finer adjustments such as color balance, exposure and contrast.

The scanner's ability to output "TIFF" files rather than just "JPEG" is a real advantage. The TIFF format is uncompressed meaning that it captures more information than JPEG and thereby allows a wider range of corrections (assuming you have the software that can make the corrections). Unfortunately, the TIFF files are about four times the size as JPEG.

When I first tried to scan a full-frame of 120 mm film at 9600 DPI (the highest) resolution, I got an error message: "Scanner cannot be performed unless the crop size or output resolution is reduced to 10208 x 4032 pixels or less." This message also appears, but less frequently, when scanning 35 mm film at full-frame. By trial and error, I found that I cannot scan a full-fame of 120 mm film at more than 2400 dpi. I also discovered that if I use a crop tool to reduce the size of the scan area, I can avoid the error message and scan at 9600 dpi. This scan, however, creates a very large file of more than 500 MB. The manual does not explain what this confusing message means. It appears to say that you must reduce resolution in terms of pixels but the scanner settings are expressed in dpi's. (Pixels and dpi's are not equivalent terms). I thought that I might have an outdated driver, but the Canon web site offers only one driver: "9000F MarkII MP Drivers Ver. 1.00" while the scanner came with driver 19.0.2. It is not clear which is the more current, so I am still using the driver that came with the scanner.

Despite the software quirks, I am giving this scanner five stars because it is reasonably-priced and produces scans that are comparable to drum scans.

4/12/14 update: Today I noticed that Amazon has deleted my links to high-resolution scans that I could not post on their web site. I have written to Amazon asking whether they now forbid reviews to include links to external, non-commercial web sites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII, April 6, 2013
I bought this scanner because someone else had recommended it. The scanner arrived when Amazon said it would arrive. I immediately unpacked it, installed the software, and tried scanning some negatives. Excellent results! I then tried some old 35mm slides and it worked equally well. I have more than paid for the scanner by the amount of pictures that I have scanned from the many negatives that I had managed to amass. If you scan several pictures at once, the software does not treat them as one giant picture, instead it makes them into individual pictures. My only concern is that I feel that the film carrier is or could be a bit flimsy, but with care it should last for as long as you own the scanner. Also, the LED lighting makes for an almost instant on scanner. I just can't say enough good things, I am so glad that I bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Scanner, July 11, 2013
I have owned many scanners. This is the best by far. In my three months of ownership, I have already scanned about 600 photos.

What do I like: Using an LED lighting element, the scanner is immediately ready for use. Scanning is very fast. It is simple to scan multiple images simultaneously. Scanned results are great. Dust removal is good. Price is excellent for a good scanner.

As far as quality, the scans look very detailed. Most of the photos are old. Very old. Some are about 100 years. Most are either scratched or faded. Most need some Photoshop after scanning.

So, why do I think this is so good? Scans are far faster then my previous scanners. Although I need to work on most of the photos, it requires far less work then what I needed to do in the past.

What don't I like: slide adapter is not good. I know, as I have a tons of slides I should use a professional slide scanner as well. However, for the cost and time I will probably just have a service scan them for me.

I really do not like the included "My Image Garden" application. It is worse then worthless. Canon should have included a worthwhile photo application.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality slide scans, October 25, 2013
G J S (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
At a 4800 dpi setting it takes about 5 minutes to do four slides/ The results are quite good and with my old scanner it took that long to do one slide with lower resolution. The software does a pretty good job of recovering old slides, even ektachrome ones that have faded to red.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac OS 10.5.8?, April 23, 2013
Hi-

We just bought this scanner and the specs on Amazon say it will run on Mac OS 10.5.8 but the Canon software says it requires OS 10.6.

It does run fine on my wife's computer under OS 10.6 but I would like to be able to use it on my computer running 10.5.8 as well. I tried downloading the driver for the older 9000f but that didn't work. Is there a way to get it to work on my older computer? I don't care if all the bells and whistles don't work, I would just like to be able to scan documents.

I held back one star only because of this issue. Otherwise, I'm really impressed.

Thanks for any help.

Update:

Been playing around with it all morning and have discovered I can choose the folder to save the scans in, to one on my computer over our LAN. By setting the scanner AutoScan button to save to my computer, I can put the scanner next to me, do my scanning, and have them on my screen automatically. It still is processed by my wife's computer and interrupts her screen with dialog boxes (that don't require user input) so that's a bit annoying for her but still, this is pretty close to the goal. Far from ideal, but not so bad. If there were a way to get it to scan in the background on the other computer, that would be reeeeeeeeeally good.

Update 2:

After playing with it all day, I'm giving it 5 stars because I like it so much. Amazon needs to fix their specs and list it as requiring 10.6.8 tho.

Update 3, 5/4/13:

Eureka ! I'll admit I'm probably the last person on the planet to learn about a USB switch but I don't care. Bought one here on Thursday, shipped to me for free today (Saturday) with Amazon Prime, and I'm in business. I upgraded my Mac to 10.6.8, hooked up the scanner to the switch and now with the press of a button, the CanoScan 9000F Mark II is available to either computer.

Oh Baby.

Also, having used this for over a week now, the more I become familiar with the software, the more I like it.

6 STARS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought to convert slides, August 29, 2013
I bought this to scan slides from the 60's to late 70's. I was initially looking at one of those devices that feeds slides through one at a time and was a little concerned about picture quality. This scanner has a slide attachment (as well as one for standard negatives) that will hold the slide while you start the scanning process. My attachment will hold four slides at a time. When you insert the slide holder, you take out another piece in the top of the unit that uncovers and LED light, which is how the scanner can work. There are several ways to use the included software, and multiple corrective measures, but the most relevant setting is resolution. You can pick resolutions where you swap out slides almost as fast as you can close the lid, and resolutions where it takes 20 minutes to process a batch. Of course, the former are little better than screen caps, where the latter could be blown up to poster size without pixellating. The key is to decide what you want before starting the big job. I chose a resolution that gives me 3.5MB file sizes, which is good enough for any size photo paper.
The software will help address (some) fading/aging artifacts, but it can't work miracles. If it would look washed out on a screen, it will look that way here, too.
Gotta go! I have another couple thousand slides to get done by Thanksgiving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for film, May 28, 2013
I bought this scanner specifically for converting a large collection of 35mm negatives to digital. It works great. I'm using it with a Mac and editing the photos in iPhoto, and the final results have been pretty impressive. It's a great machine...especially given the modest cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible software - not for professional use without a lot of patience and cursing, December 12, 2013
Software is terrible. Total nightmare. Seriously. It appends not only the scanning date, but also a sequence number to your file name. Example: _20131215_0001 will be added to EVERY file or photo that you scan on Dec 15, 2013. The other idiotic thing Canon changed (from the much, much better MP Navigator EX software that came with the 9000F Mark I scanner) is now you can't name your file before you scan without going into the settings file every time. Sure you can name it after the scan, but that is inefficient workflow practice. Another pop up screen & more clicking involved. I am a professional researcher and scan documents and photos all day long. I don't have time to go back & fix every single file name. This software literally cuts my productivity by 20% and annoys the heck out of me. If I can't return this scanner, I will have to buy the 3rd party Silverfast software for $49 to use the scanner effectively (and without continually cursing at it). I complained to Canon because I have the 9000F Mark I, which is exactly the same hardware as the Mark II - only the software & driver are different. I bought the Mark II because I thought it was a newer version of the Mark I. Nope. I wanted to use the old MP Navigator software with the Mark II. Nope. Canon's response: "There is not a way to use the MP Navigator program with the CanoScan 9000F Mark II, and there is not a way to prevent the appended information from being appended to the scan filename. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." Sorry Canon - this isn't simply an inconvenience. Its a nightmare for me and a waste of my time and money.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent photo and slide scanner, July 9, 2013
Reuel "drj" (South Bend, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This scanner makes it easy to scan multiple photos or slides. I scanned about a hundred slides, 4 at a time, and the quality is very good. Same with photos - you can scan several photos at a time and it automatically crops them and separates them into jpg files. I easily imported them in one step into iPhoto (Apple). This is just what I needed to share many family photos and slides.

Canon should remove the annoying registration program that re-awakens periodically in the background, slowing the computer, and must be tediously hunted and expunged.

Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Color Image Scanner