5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent point and shoot camcorder
I am very satisfied with this camcorder. Picture quality is very good for a standard definition camera and operating it is about as easy as it can get. On-camera editing capabilities are not extensive so if you need those you may want to look at the cameras higher in the lineup.

The only complaint may be with finalizing disks. You have to read the manual...
Published on December 19, 2007 by K. Sullivan

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for point, shoot, play but...
July 18, 2007: Read my response in the comments section to a question from Jason G regarding VRO.

****************************

Published on May 1, 2007 by Suzanne L. Marman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for point, shoot, play but..., May 1, 2007
This review is from: Canon DC210 DVD Camcorder with 35x Optical Zoom (Electronics)

****************************

If you want a DVD camcorder to shoot videos, make VERY minor edits from the camcorder itself, and then drop in your DVD player -- the DC210 is okay. It's easy to use, despite the poorly written user guide. As to its features -- it doesn't really stand out in the crowd of similar (less expensive) models.

The audio recording isn't great. From a distance of about 5-6 feet, you'll have difficulty hearing someone who is not projecting their voice.

Regardless, after a weekend of significant frustration, this camcorder is going back.

After talking with Canon, I found out that they chose not to inform their users, or even their retailers, that the output video format in VR mode is "VRO" -- a new, largely unsupported format.

Users CANNOT edit their videos without conversion software -- which, according to Canon reps, WILL NOT be provided on the Canon site. And, this format is so new, I had difficulty finding conversion software and I was unable to find freeware to convert the VRO video files (get ready to pay between $15-$25 for conversion shareware -- in addition to DC210'S $340-$400 pricetag).

Canon does not provide ANY software for this camcorder -- their reason: the camcorder is ONLY intended for point-shoot-play. Note: Canon didn't even bother addressing the new "VRO" format in the user manual that came in the box or the PDF file on their site (the term itself isn't in their documentation).

Finally, if you need decent audio via use of an external mic, forget it -- Canon also didn't put an external mic jack on the DC210 (Canon's ZR800 does have an external jack).

During my last conversation with a Canon rep, my message was basically "shame on you." Canon has obviously chosen to ignore rapidly increasing consumer interest in video editing, the credit for this going to Microsoft, Pinnacle, and others, who have given us some good, simple tools to do creative editing on home and/or amature videos.

Canon totally missed the boat on this one. They could have been packaged a decent camcorder with, at minimum, some conversion software and a better user-guide, thus encouraging their customers to get out there and shoot lots and lots of video for sharing, presentations, and so on, which I intend to do -- with a Sony, JVC, or other camcorder.

I'm giving 2 stars to Canon only because the DC210 does do what they wanted it to do.

Canon gets an "F-" for not shelling out a few extra cents for each camcorder sold to ensure customers have conversion software, and subsequently the capability to easily edit their creations with inexpensive, easy-to-use movie/video editing software.

1.0 out of 5 stars For FRUSTRATION only, November 28, 2007
The very worst available. I spent half of our summer vacation trying to find discs that my pretentious Canon would accept. Only Sony, and only sometimes. Ugh. I used to trust Canon. Now, I will read and write reviews more often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent point and shoot camcorder, December 19, 2007

The only complaint may be with finalizing disks. You have to read the manual carefully as the charger must be plugged in and you have to be in play mode before it will even give you the option to finalize a disk. Fortunately you can change disks then go back and finalize them later.

I have had absolutely zero problems playing back finalized disks. Just put the disk in a DVD player and press play.

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was just me..., December 17, 2007
Well, there goes my daughter's first birthday footage. It's on a mini disc, but the only thing that will play it back is the camcorder itself. Won't work on any computer, playstation 2, or even a regular phillips dvd player. The user manual lists functions that aren't even selectable in the various menus. You can initialize the disc but not finalize it... though that's supposed to be an option in the menu. I'm taking it back tonight. What a piece of junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Picture Quality, December 26, 2007
I am a beginner when it comes to camcording and taking pictures. I wanted an easy to use 2-in-1 camera/camcorder. I spent Christmas Eve reading the users guide. I wanted documentation listing steps for a quick setup and use. There is no such thing. What's given is confusing at best. After about 2 hours, I did manage to get things rolling, basically on my own. I thought I did a good job figuring things out, such as initializing the discs, switching between the four basic modes (taking and viewing videos and pictures), making videos, and taking pictures. I was disappointed with the quality I saw on the camcorder, but thought things would look better on my computer or DVD. So I took tons of pictures and videos on Christmas Day. I spent about an hour and a half today (the day after Christmas) learning to convert my pictures for computer/DVD use and finalize the disc. I was tickled to see my pictures on the computer, but all pictures and videos were very grainy, not good quality at all. And I couldn't even get the disc to play in the two DVD players I have. I've spent more time than I wanted to on learning this machine, and I am very disappointed with the results. I could read a little more in the unfriendly users guide about picture qualitiy, but I'm not; I'm going to return it right now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Canon DC210: Disappointing product, July 7, 2008
CJH (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased this camcorder for an extended trip to Eastern Europe. Shame on me for not researching better. Found out too late that the files are in a difficult to use .VRO format. Being a mid level computer user & a low level video user, I have not been able to get the files to a point where I can email or post them on our blog. I have neither the time nor the interest to learn the specifics of the various digital formats. Plug & play, not fiddling with files like an old DOS program.

Ordered the AVS software discussed, waiting for the registration key (another story). Hoping that will work, otherwise this camera will likely be left in Russia (in a dumpster). This is an important event for my family & I am furious that this camera is basically a mini DVD maker. My fault for sure, but it seems to be a fundamental task to produce a file that can be emailed or uploaded to a web site, it is 2008 correct?

So far, the videos played in MS media player are honestly disappointing, grainy & weak color saturation.

Caveat Emptor, buyer beware. Be sure this camera can do what you want it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to finalize canon DC210, March 31, 2008
I found out that if I had the side screen open I could not finalize my disc. It took me a whole day to figure out that if you close the side screen, and look through the eye hole, the finalize option is activated and I am able to finalize my disc CD R.

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon DVD Camcorder DC210, December 28, 2007
Colin Vogel (Buffalo, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This product is essentially what you paid for. It is quite easy to use, though the manual can be cryptic, especially to those who do not use lots of new devices frequently. The movie quality was less than I expected and I have never really intended to take pictures with it. That's what my digital camera is for. Anyhow, I used an off-brand DVD-R as recodring media. Worked great, many DVD's will not accept other types (like a DVD+R).. though both are supported with this camera. There is no USB, however it's not a DV camcorder... we were too cheap to get one of those. So in the end, it met my expectations which were realistic. It will not give you a cinematic experience of pleasure upon viewing. It will however give you a fast and very portable way of video documenting pretty much anything. For those of you looking for higher resolution... get something more expensive. Plus, read the reviews... we're not liars out here! I would rate the camcorder as fair. I paid 250.00 which was fair, the quality was fair, etc... One last thing that gets frustrating.. you need to plug it in (charge) and have it in play mode to finalize the disks. Disks need to be finalized in order to watch them on a DVD player. The data on the disks can be brought into your' pc with some added software. the software is anywhere from 25-150.00. The camera does not come with anything. Then again... you could have paid 300.00 for essentially the same camera that comes with the disk... wait that is not a good deal now is it? So... ultimately it is for the thrifty buyer with relatively low expectations who doesnt really care about video editing and doesnt expect a software bundle to come along w/ it. Hope this helps out!

1.0 out of 5 stars Finalizing and editing, August 18, 2009
We have this camera at our work site. It takes fairly good pictures/video. The biggest complaint I have is the same as others here: Finalizing a disc is very unclear, and the format used in VR mode is not very user friendly.
However, thanks to the interwebs, I will tell you how to do these; seeing as Canon can't.

To finalize a DVD, you need to be in "Play" mode and the Camera must be PLUGGED in to an electrical outlet. (Very lame IMHO)

If you want to be able to use your videos, shoot in video mode, not VR. Yes this limits your option to edit the video on your camera, but it makes the discs compatible and easily finalized into a format readable by your DVD player/computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most useless camcorder out there, November 15, 2008
We bought this for basic use only. Within 9 months it wouldn't finalize our discs of our new baby. We sent it back at our expense. The company replaced it's organs and returned it. Six weeks later it won't work again and the company wants us to ship it back at our expense again to work on it some more. Again, our baby's precious moments are lost because it won't play on DVD without finalizing the discs. The company won't just replace the camcorder they will only fix it even though it keeps failing. Horrible camcorder, horrible company. Don't recommend a Canon or this particular DVD camcorder.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›