5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 70D First Impressions
This is going to be short, since I've not had the chance to do a whole lot of shooting as yet. Consider it a "just out of the box" impression. I already have a Canon 5D Mk III, and a number of L series lenses. I wanted a "backup camera" for video shooting, and I was intrigued by the new auto-focus system offered on the 70D.

So far, I'm extremely pleased with...
Published 12 months ago by S. Burg

3.0 out of 5 stars Review mostly for still image photography and compared to 6D and T2i (550D)
Second Update (3/15): I tried another sample and phase detection autofocus works a lot better on this one. Maybe not as good as I would expect, but the keeper rate is considerably higher. If this would have been my first copy, I probably would have never noticed (as I would not have looked at it that critically). The noise is surprisingly a little worse than on my first...
Published 6 months ago by rai777

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 70D First Impressions, August 30, 2013
S. Burg (Pasadena, CA US) - See all my reviews

So far, I'm extremely pleased with this camera. The 18-35 mm kit lens gives a lot of range, and I tested the camera out with my other lenses. The L series lenses work very well, and auto-focusing is fast, smooth, and doesn't search around much even in very low light. The camera is not as heavy as the 5D Mk III, but feels solid enough, and not all that different in the hands. Even with the 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM zoom - my heaviest lens at the moment - the camera feels surprisingly balanced.

The crop sensor obviously changes the effect of the lenses, but having a full sensor and a crop sensor both, it's like having 2 sets of lenses. My 70-300mm zoom now has an effective reach up to 480 mm (on the Canon 70D) due to the crop factor of 1.6. To me, this is kind of a bonus, though not in itself a reason to buy the camera. Smaller sized sensors result in an apparent increase in focal length, and a greater depth of field, but this is a generalization and each lens has its own properties that affect the image as well. Read the reviews of individual lenses when considering how each one reacts to different types of camera bodies.

The main thing to take note of is that while the Canon 70D will accept all the EF and EF-L lenses, it is designed to use the EF-S series lenses as well. In fact, the EF-S series lenses are custom tailored specifically for the Canon 70D and (as far as I know) other APS-C crop sensor cameras made by Canon. These lenses - and the kit lens is one of them - will not work on a full frame camera like the Canon 5D mkIII; the rear element extends back into the camera body in a way that makes it impossible to attach lenses of this series to full frame sensor cameras. Even if they could be attached, I suspect the captured image might suffer from serious vignetting and other problems.

For a thorough understanding of how the APS-C, full frame and other types of sensors interact with various lenses, I highly recommend doing some research on the web. There's a lot of good information out there, and this is a fairly involved subject that I don't even want to attempt to dive into here :)

One thing I couldn't figure out before having the camera in my possession deserves a mention. This is my first experience with a fold-out LCD screen on a DSLR, and I had no idea how the display would deal with flipping around 180 degrees. Would it be upside down? This was the first thing I tried, and the screen auto-flips when it is rotated. Maybe everyone else already knows this - but I didn't! Anyway, the fold-out display is a great feature, and it also folds face-in to protect the display when not in use.

The ability to touch various points on the LCD display while in Live View or shooting video, and shift focus while shooting is - to me at least - worth the price of admission. If Canon eventually updates the 7D and/or the 5D Mk III, this functionality would be most welcome!

Purely as a "gut reaction" - I really like the 70D immensely. And it seems a very good value for the price. This may actually become my preferred "walk-around camera, though time will tell.

EDIT - 10/22/2013: I've spent a lot more time with the camera now, so I can add to my earlier comments.

While I purchased the 70D mainly for shooting video, I recently used it to shoot bracketed exposures for HDR (high dynamic range) panoramas. A friend of mine had a nodal camera head (The "Ninja" head) which allowed for precise rotation of the camera to cover a full 360 degree field-of-view. The Canon 70D allows for up to 7 bracketed exposures via the AEB controls. The plates were shot in the RAW (CR2) format, using the kit lens, and stitched together using PTGui software.

After some initial trial runs, where we ironed out the kinks in the whole process, the results were exceptional. For those who may be wondering "why do you want a 32 bit HDR 360 panorama at 10k-16k resolution?" it is used to create realistic lighting and reflections in a 3D/CG software (i.e. Modo or Maya, for example). The 3D scene can be lit entirely by the 360 panoramic image, producing a very convincing result.

At any rate, the Canon 70D delivered terrific results doing something I didn't even foresee when I bought the camera. I will try and upload some of the tests (where the photographic panorama serves as both background and light-source) if I can figure out how to do so on the Amazon site.

EDIT - 11/9/2013: A note to anyone who intends to shoot green screen (for color keyed composites) or do precise color grading in post production: The video output from the 70D is not YCbCr 4:2:2 compression. This is not apparent to the naked eye when viewing the video footage, but it becomes an issue when attempting to work with the footage in a post environment. The firmware update for the Canon 5D addressed this problem by enabling 4:2:2 color output via the HDMI port to an external recording device (I use the Atomos Ninja 2 for this) but currently uncompressed "clean" HDMI is not enabled on the Canon 70D. I have my fingers crossed this will be dealt with in an update to the firmware.

This is not a huge issue unless you intend to do extensive manipulation of your video footage in post production, but it is something to consider with this camera and DSLRs in general. There are workarounds, of course, but that can entail a fair amount of time & effort, particularly when extracting color key mattes (masks) involving fine edge detail or areas of transparency.

That being said, the footage is nevertheless beautiful. And I suspect this technical point should not be an issue for most people considering buying the Canon 70D. The CR2 (camera raw) files are not at all affected by this, it's a factor limited to the HD video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice update to an already strong predecessor for semi-pro photographers...video functionality is unreal, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
Background info on my experience/use: semi pro portrait/event photographer, professional landscape photographer. Cameras past and present: canon 5D mark III, Canon 7D (owned currently), Leica M3 35mm film, Canon 60D, And Canon t3i

The nitty gritty on this camera after a week of use:

Build/functionality-
Its a solid update to the popular 60d dslr. Smaller profile than its predecessor however the grip and feel of the camera still remains solid. And much more girth than its younger siblings in the Rebel series. The redesign of button locations on the rear of the camera make for a fluid interface to the menus screens while maintaining the appeal that higher quality SLRs have had with dedicate Aperature and Shutter speed wheels. The added perk of the New touch screen technology from the T4i and T5i have greatly improved the speed to many obscure functions sometimes needed in the depths of software. Its actually pretty fantastic to say the least.

Photo Quality-
With the addition of the newer Digic 5+ processor the picture quality is only gradually enhanced from the previous Digic 4 of the older generations and 60D. What you will notice a difference in is the rate at which photos can be shot and processed. 7 fps puts this camera closer to the 7D in respects of action photography. I did have high hopes for better low light photos with a new processor since the 60D essentially used a 4 year old unit but unfortunately they look almost identical. It seems you will need to step into a full frame like the 6d or the 5D mark ii & iii to get a substantial difference in quality above 1600 ISO that only a larger sensor can provide.

Video Quality-
What really sets this camera apart from the rest of the line up(except the 5D mark III) is its incredible ability to process video (and with touch screen focus!!!) Its active autofocus tracks well with lenses. Multiple modes allow you to change focus settings quickly thru simple strokes on the screen. This camera has built in stereo recording unlike the mono of the 60D. It does however lack a good amount of creative features within the camera for video recording. But lets me honest, most of us who do photography and cinematography often do all of our editing from computer software outside of the camera ie lightroom/photoshop etc. With the STM lenses its fairly quick in its focusing and extremely quiet since they were design specifically for camera bodies like the 70D, t4i, and t5i in a video application. Most of my lenses are USM or L series which make for much quicker focusing than even the STM but do sacrifice a bit of more noise (still much better than the cheap kit lens tho).

Overall this camera is a solid performer. It is a jack of all trades. Photos to video, it does a dang decent job on it all with a big emphasis on the video side of things. In short. If you need an all around camera this is it. If you need a camera for only still photography you may be better off buying a 7D or full frame camera for the money even tho it does do a "pretty good" job much like the original 60D. Either way you cant lose. I promise.

********To anyone using Lightroom 4.4 or lower this camera is not compatible with the CR2 aka RAW files for editing. If you shoot RAW you will need to buy the new Adobe Lightroom 5 and update it to the 5.2 version to even get it to view. Anyone shooting in jpeg will be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, October 31, 2013
Michael DiDomenico (WINTER SPRINGS, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I just received my new CANON 70D a week ago. I have been reading every review that has come available on the Internet and also You-tube. I have also talked to a few Professionals who use CANON equipment to get their view. I will not bore you with all of my talk, but I will give you some things that I have found out since receiving my unit.
AUTO FOCUS
This is a huge jump from my 60D. It has the 7D - 19 point AF and all cross point. It makes for a fast AF and cleaner photo's. I am amazed at how many more AF points lock onto a subject when using the auto focus sequence.

DUAL PIXEL, LIVE VIEW
I would think these go hand in hand, and they work quickly and well. The camera is quick to focus, acquires moving subjects and allows for great photo's. Very impressive upgrade from the LIVE VIEW on my 60D.

VIDEO
I shot a video today while at the zoo and the clarity was excellent, so was the color saturation. Full HD is by default and it is excellent for what I will use it for when traveling. I also was not using one of the new STM lenses and when zooming in and out, there wasn't any noise on the video. I was not using an external mic.

I have tried all of the scene modes and found them to be a good selection. I like the HDR mode and also the multiple photo mode, something I guess people have been interested in seeing from CANON. I have been very impressed with the camera. It is a good upgrade from the 60D, it has much more to offer and the higher PIXEL Count shows up in the photo's, as does the increased FPM. 7 FPM seems so much faster than the 5.3 of the 60D.
I have already recommended this to a couple of my friends who are looking into upgrading their equipment.

11-07-2013
I wanted to let people know that I am getting about 950 photo's and about 25 minutes of video per battery charge. I am not using Wi-Fi right now.

3-9-2014
went to the NUCLEAR COWBOYZ show and shot over 45 minutes of video and about 150 stills. Many of my video was at ISO 6400 as this was an indoor event. Outstanding quality with my 24-105mm, f/4, 'L' lens. Most of the stills were at ISO 6400-12800 and shot in sport mode for high speed. The quality is very good in the stills [I do not blow up to 10 times], and the video's were very good. I was amazed and the people who watched my video's in HD were surprised. Once more I know that I have a very good camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars A jack-of-all-trades with the best amateur video available, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I like this camera a lot. It's a vast upgrade from the 60D, combining the best features of that body, the T5i, 6D, and 7D, with superior movie motion tracking. It's the first DSLR I can recommend for amateur video without a caveat for slow autofocus. Shooting stills from the rear LCD still favors mirrorless and hybrid bodies, but employing the 70D's viewfinder pulls the advantage back to Canon.

I've listed the history of this line so you can get a feel for where it slots.

MODEL EVOLUTION:

+ Metering improved
+ White balance improved
+ Wireless flash control
+ HDR / MSNR / exposure merge
+ Raw conversion and filters on-camera
+ Movie crop zoom (7X, 480p)
+/- SD cards

+ Silent-shooting w/ viewfinder
+ Scene Intelligent Auto mode
+ Stereo mics
+ Video compression improved
+ Movie crop zoom (3X, 1080p)
+ HDR / MSNR / exposure merge
+/- SD cards
+/- smaller
+ /- weather sealing
+/- simplified button layout
-- 7 fps, 16-23 raw
-- no AF joystick
-- no spot-AF or AF-point expansion
-- no flash sync port
-- lesser build

Viewed from another angle, here's where we've seen the major features before:

* 20MP sensor
* Dual-Pixel AF
* 16-shot raw buffer, 60-shot jpeg buffer (60D)
* 19-point AF system (7D)
* Swivel LCD screen (60D)
* Touchscreen LCD (T5i)
* Simplified rear control layout (6D)
* Wifi (6D)
* AF micro-adjustment (7D)
* Stereo microphones (T5i)
* Silent shooting through the viewfinder (5D III)
* Movie crop zoom (T3i)
* IPB and ALL-I video compression (5D III)
* On-camera raw conversion, movie editing, and effects preview (T5i)
* Scene Intelligent Auto mode (T5i)

It's like a greatest-hits album; there's almost nothing from the parts bin that hasn't made an appearance.

HANDLING AND NEW FEATURES:

No surprise: it feels like a 60D. Small compared to the 40D/50D/7D, but without the handling compromises you'd see moving to a T5i. General build is fine except for the mushy buttons. It isn't brickish like the 7D and the other two to a lesser extent. The difference shows up on the scale: this body mirrors the 60D and weighs 6 ounces less than the 7D, splitting the difference between that and a T5i. Good for travel, though lens weight tends to dictate the DSLR experience at this level.

Canon has rejiggered the button layout to match the 6D. A new button near the shutter changes AF modes. Five buttons have switched functions relative to the 60D. Menu adjustments are faster because you can use both thumbs. If you're shooting multiple bodies, the 70D pairs best with a 6D, and the 7D with the 5D III. Earlier bodies require more acclimation.

Coming from the 40D/50D/7D, I'm not keen on the rear dial and D-pad. The dial works, it's just small. The D-pad, though, is at least an inch from the AF-on button. If you're using it for direct AF point selection and the AF-on button to AF, you'll wear out your thumb in a hurry. The 40D/50D/7D all have a separate hat-switch in a more ergonomic position. That aside, there's the question of weather-sealing. Regardless of what Canon says, pretend it's a sieve if you're in more than a drizzle. The 'it got wet' repair isn't cheap and the kit lenses aren't sealed.

The big addition for the 70D is the touchscreen. The implementation is straight from the T5i: if you can adjust a setting with the physical UI, you can adjust it by touch. This significantly lowers the EOS learning curve. The touchscreen is capacitive and almost as responsive as a modern smartphone, unless you're wearing non-conductive gloves.

How does touch change things in practice? If you're a novice, it makes things accessible. Press the Q button to pull up all the major camera functions and tap to adjust. If you're more advanced, it simplifies Live View autofocus. You don't have to place focus points on your subject or pan a focus box with the D-pad. Just tap. It's so much faster. This yields huge dividends when coupled with LCD articulation for off-angle shooting (of high or low objects), studio shooting from a tripod, and most especially with movies, where you have no time for adjustments and don't want to shake the camera by mashing buttons. Picture review also benefits. Phone gestures (e.g., pinch zoom, swiping) make checking focus vastly quicker and more flexible than on any other non-touch EOS camera.

Wifi is also new. I didn't care much for it on the 6D, but it's growing on me for one reason: I can get a live feed to my phone with AF control. That's a big deal. You've always been able to remotely trigger EOS bodies with radio transmitters, but you can't preview the shot, change settings, or move the AF point. Third-party software will do all that, but only with a cable. It's always been an either-or thing. Now you can have both with a free Canon app that'll work with Android or iOS.

Wireless control opens a lot of creative possibilities. Put the camera on a bear path or strap it to your car. Make it a flexible second-shooter at a wedding or behind a hockey net. Take a selfie or a group shot without prefocusing or hoping there's contrast in front of an AF point. Move pictures to the phone, process in Instagram, and upload to Flickr. Shoot in one room and have an assistant sort pictures in another on a different floor. I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface.

Wireless limitations? A few. You can't take or send movies when Wifi is on (and the setting won't change automatically, you'll probably end up binding it to your custom menu), the app has only bare-bones functionality, live preview is sluggish, and a transfer rate of 2 MB/s makes it impractical to move 25 MB raw files. You wouldn't do any better with an Eye-Fi card; the X2 version is about half as fast.

Because it combines a touchscreen with most of the hardware controls from Canon's professional bodies, this body leaves a lot of room to grow. It won't be intimidating for long if you're coming from a Rebel.

VIEWFINDER AUTOFOCUS:

Like all DSLRs that can display a live feed to the rear LCD, the 70D has multiple autofocus systems. The primary is for stills shot through the viewfinder. The other is for stills or movies composed from the rear LCD.

The AF array for viewfinder shooting is a 19-point system pulled from the 7D. It covers the same area as the 9-point array from the 40/50/60D/T5i/T4i, but the hit-rate in AI-Servo (Canon's motion-tracking mode) with fast or unpredictable movement improves by at least half. That applies to the full grid and, to a lesser extent, the center point alone. The older system was already a third better than the one in the T2i/T3i/SL1. Thanks to the dense AF grid, the 70D is much less likely to miss during full-grid shooting for lack of having a point on contrast.

While it's definitely an upgrade over the 60D, there are few caveats to this system relative to the 7D:

First, it has only three of the 7D's five AF modes: Full Auto (19 point), Zone AF (5 zones), and Single-Point (1 point). It's missing Spot AF (1 point, reduced size) and AF Point Expansion (1 point, reverts to local outer points if necessary). Will you miss them? Maybe. Spot AF makes it easy to hit a very small target with a fast lens, like an eye instead of an eyebrow. AF Point Expansion is great for motion when you want to use a specific AF point, but with a fallback so the camera won't give up if that point misses.

Zone AF isn't a perfect substitute. It groups points into areas that you can select, but the point chosen within each area is always the one over the closest subject. If your subject is surrounded by other viable closer subjects, that may cause a miss noticeable with a fast lens.

Second, there's more button-pressing than with the 40D/50D/60D for single-point shooters. The earlier bodies can directly select the outer AF points (where eyes typically end up in portraits) with one thumb movement. This 70D can't because the rocker only goes 8 ways (plus a center button) for 19 points. There's no custom function to ignore middle points. Zone AF gives the same economy of thumb movement, but without the same precision from each zone.

Third, certain older lenses may be more consistent with the 60D system. I've had trouble in the past with false focus confirmations on a 7D paired with a 50/1.4 and 50/1.8. Firmware updates since may have negated that issue; I don't know. The 70D hasn't hinted at it so far. Still, whatever you buy, give it a controlled bench test before you trust it in the field. Even four-digit gear has quality control variation.

Three other narrow points of note: like the 7D, this body has AF microadjustment, an AF offset intended to tune out manufacturing variability in lenses and bodies. Third-party, wide-aperture, and telephoto lenses benefit most. Less so lenses with older AF mechanisms (e.g., 50/1.8, 50/1.4) and those that misfocus variably at different distances or lighting. We've also had a custom function switcheroo. The 7D had one for ignoring obstructions in AI-Servo. The 70D replaces that with one that controls sensitivity to objects that change speed erratically. The 70D also loses the 7D's ability to bind an alternate AF point or zone to a button.

In aggregate though, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far. Full-grid automatic AF and AI-Servo on the 60D and before were not ideal. The focus points were too far apart, the selection method was not predictable, and AI Servo was not consistent with static subjects. As a result, I used One Shot with single-point selection for most subjects. This 70D is actually usable in full-auto. When I had a 7D, I found myself in full-auto or Zone AF with AI Servo about half the time shooting f/2.8 or above. I see no reason to change that with the 70D, so I'm not as disappointed about the loss of the other two AF modes as I could be.

LIVE VIEW AUTOFOCUS:

The 70D's Live View AF is a revolutionary feature, so let's start with deep background. Skip the next three paragraphs if you're already familiar.

Live View focusing has always been a challenge for true DSLRs. Absent a translucent light-robbing mirror, you can't get a live feed to the rear LCD without disabling the main phase-detect AF array. In the past, that left you with focus from whatever the camera could divine from image data, the same 'contrast-detect' AF used in point-and-shoot cameras, mirrorless bodies, and phones. But unlike phase-detect, the camera doesn't know which direction or how far to focus. So it guesses. And hunts.

Fine for still subjects and small sensors if it's done right. Not so much a DSLR; Canon's implementation in every body before the T4i was pretty much unusable with any moving subject. The T4i sensor had a couple of phase-detect pixels in the middle to make things less bad. The SL1 expanded that system to 65% frame coverage, which made it Canon's best hands-off movie DSLR.

But the SL1 is hardly perfect even within the phase-detect AF area. It's usable with subjects that don't move toward or away from the camera too quickly (about a third as fast as the main phase-detect AF array could track), but it still gets confused, it's not brilliant in low-light, and there's a subtle back-and-forth focus-racking when it settles on a subject and when tracking anything.

Enter the 70D. Canon's made every pixel over the same area capable of phase-detect with a technique they call 'Dual Pixel AF.' And they've done it without any obvious effect on image quality, while ditching contrast-detect entirely for most lenses. Apparently Canon employs wizards.

What performance can you expect relative to the SL1 and the main phase-detect array?

(+) In Movie Servo mode, it responds almost instantly to scene changes. Focusing on static objects in general is very quick, although a few mirrorless bodies are even faster. Enabling face detection adds a slight delay, and more if there's no face in the scene.
(+) Different lenses change focus at different speeds. None of them seem to run at maximum speed. The change algorithm is tuned for pleasing transitions.
(+) There's no focus-racking when focus stops. All mirrorless bodies still do this in low light and most in bright light.
(+) It keeps subjects that move at one speed in focus instead of repeatedly snapping in and out of focus. Here again, some mirrorless bodies can track things even faster, but the object won't actually be in focus for as long. With the kit lenses in good light, it'll hold focus on a subject moving directly at the camera from close range at 7-10 MPH. Indoors in low light, closer to 3-5 MPH. Movement can be much faster if it's far away or tangent to the camera.
(+) Focus accuracy is very high. AF-M does not, and need not, apply here.
(+) USM lenses work as fast as STM, though USM may be audible on the audio track in quiet settings. STM lenses are capable of smoother transitions.
(+) It works down to EV 0, half the light of the SL1 and almost even with the main array. Almost candlelight.
(+) Face-tracking is effective even with conventional indoor household lighting.
(+/-) It works with lenses as slow as f/11, a full stop ahead of the SL1 and two ahead of the main array. Not Canon teleconverters, however. A third-party TC that doesn't report the aperture? Maybe.
(-) The main array is still more responsive with erratic movement.
(-) A few lenses don't work with it. The ones that matter are: 14/2.8L MK1, 24/1.4L MK1, 16-35/2.8L MK1, 28-70/2.8L, and 80-200/2.8L.
(-) Contrast-detect is the fallback for unsupported lenses, Movie Crop Zoom, and some teleconverters.

It's just incredibly confident. The subject was out of focus. Now it's in focus. If you choose your own AF points, it looks like a professional focus-pull. The only difference is that you can't (as yet) control the transition pace. That may well become an update down the road, and I'm sure Canon will improve speed and predictive ability in future generations. A version of this system may eventually even obviate the main array. But for now, it's good enough. Great, even. Finally.

STILLS:

Image quality is very good. There's about a half-stop less noise in JPEG and raw relative to the 18MP bodies and less low-frequency blotchiness at high ISOs. JPEG noise processing has improved. Colors are preserved better at high ISOs. I'd run this body to ISO 6400ish for full-res shots. The 6D is two solid stops ahead if low-light is your highest priority.

Dynamic range is about the same, though you can add a stop back to the highlights with Highlight Tone Priority. I use that feature constantly in daylight; it's worth the noise to keep the whites intact. Nikon leads here with the D5200 and D7100. Those two also have slightly more detail from their 24 MP sensors, similar high-ISO noise, and less shadow noise at low ISO. Color noise in deep shadows is still there with the 70D, so you can't be quite as aggressive boosting low tones in post.

That aside, a deep 16-23 frame raw buffer, 7 FPS (7.5 in raw), and the 7D's AF system make this a legitimate sports camera. It wasn't so long ago that Canon's 1D series capped out at 8 FPS. Stills shooting with Live View is a different story, though. You can still bang out frames at full speed, but you won't be able to see or track anything. The live feed doesn't come back until a few seconds after you've released the shutter button. Focus is fixed from the first frame. Better mirrorless bodies show intermediate frames and continue to focus, but that's partly out of necessity. I don't rely on Live View for scenarios that need quick feedback.

MOVIES:

If this is your first foray into DSLR video, you'll be impressed. The right lenses give creamy backgrounds and professional-looking subject isolation, often with the subject you actually intended. Such are the benefits of that trick AF system. But don't expect the stills-centric interface to feel quite as natural as that of a purpose-built video camera.

The 70D's feature set borrows a few things from the 5D III: 1080p/30, 720p/60, 480p/30, Time Code support, and a choice of IPB and ALL-I compression. Missing are the 5D III's headphone jack, uncompressed HDMI video, live audio gain control, and both Av and Tv modes (M is still available). We might eventually see one or all of these arrive via Magic Lantern's inevitable piggyback firmware. New to the 70D is onboard stereo sound. It has an ambiance that the mono mics from the 60D and 7D can't match, but like every onboard setup, it picks up camera and lens noise in quiet environments. There's a jack for an external mic. Maximum recording time is a half-hour. Battery life is 1-2 hrs depending on temperature, AF use, and lens stabilization, though you can double it with the battery grip.

Image quality is Canon's status quo despite the new compression. Color and contrast are strong by default. Resolution hasn't changed: it's somewhat soft at 1080p, but in a way that's only apparent with high-detail scenics or when shown back-to-back with Panasonic's GH3 or a video-only body like the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Moiré control (of false coloring and interference patterns on subjects with repeating fine detail) is decent. Better than the 6D, short of the 5D III. You'll still see some edge-crawling with horizontal features. Noise is subtle enough until about ISO 800.

A key returning feature is Movie Digital Zoom. It's a menu option last available with the T3i that lets you zoom from 3X to 10X in 1080p mode. The higher zoom levels aren't that interesting, but 3X mode has 1:1 pixel mapping, so you lose very little quality. It's effectively a free teleconverter without the light loss. In 35mm terms, it turns your kit 18-135 into 600mm on the long end. Two caveats: it only works with contrast-detect AF and it can't be enabled while recording is in progress. Macro shooting and the sort of fixed composition and focus shots common to professional productions benefit most.

Like the 7D and 60D before it, the sole on-camera editing controls trim the beginning and end of the clip. Achieving that on a computer takes surprising effort. If you're not post-processing, shoot in IPB, trim the footage in-camera, copy it to your system, and use Handbrake or AVS Video Converter to bring it down to a size suitable for Youtube or Vimeo. IPB doesn't hold up to major changes in colors or tone curve in post; choose ALL-I for a more serious production.

What are we missing? Mostly out-of-the-box thinking. Given what Magic Lantern has added to the 5D III (raw video, HDR video, a thousand other features) solely through reverse-engineering, one wonders where Canon might have gone. Even the more prosaic 1080p/60 and a less indifferent downsampling algorithm would have been appreciated. Still, I've a greater appreciation for what's already there now that it's actually in focus.

LENSES:

Both kit lenses are excellent. The 18-135 STM is much improved over the USM version that came with the 60D and earlier kit choices like the 28-135 USM. Strong points include a smooth zoom action, no zoom creep, and nearly inaudible focus and stabilization. It's a little heavy and bulky compared to the 18-55 STM, but I'd still favor the longer zoom range. There's no image-quality benefit to the shorter lens.

Some thoughts on future additions:

* Primes are often lighter, smaller, cheaper, available in wider apertures, optically better, and subject to less less manufacturing variation. They're less convenient, less versatile, updated less often, and can cause you to miss shots in fast-paced shooting environments.

* An f/2.8 lens on this body is just fast enough for most indoor use without flash. You'll want a flash for anything slower. A flash can provide more even, pleasing pictures, at the expense of a bulkier, attention-attracting rig.

* Third-party lenses tend to have less initial cost, better warranties, and more aggressive designs. AF and optical performance is often (but not always) inferior to OEM lenses, quality control and service can be less consistent, and resale values are lower. Value varies by lens model. Some are better than the OEM equivalents (e.g., Tamron 70-300 VC, Sigma 35/1.4). Some fill holes in the OEM lineup (e.g., Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS, 30/1.4, 18-35/1.8). And some are lesser substitutes, but still competitive (e.g., Sigma 10-20/4-5.6).

Try Canon's 85/1.8 if you're looking for an economical leap in subject isolation relative to the kit lenses.

MEMORY:

Video chews through storage space. A 32GB SD card is good for about 45 minutes with ALL-I compression and two hours with IPB. 8GB and 16GB cards are plenty for stills. Size aside, interface responsiveness isn't much affected by card speed. Faster cards have three advantages: they can shoot longer high-speed raw bursts (up to 22-23), clear the picture buffer more quickly, and record video at the highest quality without risking a speed warning. In one-shot mode, this difference is invisible; very fast cards would only make sense if you were time-limited on card-to-computer transfers with a USB 3.0, SATA, or Firewire card reader.

IN SUM:

This is the most significant DSLR Canon has introduced since the 7D. It's the first one I've reviewed without some major caveat. And that's unusual. Canon doesn't often make game-changing cameras. They do what they did with the 30D, T3i, T5i, and 6D: make incremental improvements and leave a lot on the table. That's not what happened here, and so much the better. The 70D is significant because it has most of the 7D's AF unit, which is serious business because Canon differentiates cameras with AF performance. It's significant because Canon has licked the movie AF problem that stopped me from ever recommending a DSLR to normal people for movies, while leapfrogging even Sony's pellicle-mirror DSLR-alikes, a former class leader. And it's significant because it combines these upgrades with a physical and touch UI that makes them accessible to a broad cross-section of users. Truly, well-played.

But should you buy one? Maybe. Like every new DSLR, it's expensive, and the old ones depreciate like dairy products. There's no question the major upgrades are in Live View. If you're all about stills through the viewfinder, plenty of bodies from the 40D onward could satisfice. But for videos with moving subjects, this is the zero square. There's nothing from Canon behind it. If I had $700 to buy a movie DSLR that would fit into a small bag, I'd save another $500 and buy a bigger bag rather than take the SL1 over the 70D.

vs. 7D - New at $1500, the 7D's a nonstarter. Used at $750 and with the enhancements from firmware 2.0, it's a bargain for viewfinder stills if you don't need silent shooting. It's faster, more usable, more configurable, and built like rocks. It's also short an articulating touchscreen and completely inept in movies without manual focus, but focus peaking in Magic Lantern makes that easier.

vs. 60D - New, it's barely half the price of this 70D. Viewfinder focus is pretty decent, the framerate is high enough if you're not relying on your pictures for dinner, and it has the same nifty articulating LCD less the touchscreen. A fine camera. I'd buy that used 7D first without a second thought.

vs. T5i - At $750, this camera is $150 more than the 60D. It has the awkward honor of being a consumer-class device that's harder to use in movie mode than the semi-pro 70D. That accompanies a lesser build, lesser physical UI, very small raw buffer, no Wifi, no AF-M, no top LCD, no movie zoom, and the 60D's older phase-array AF. To me, the step down is not worth $450.

vs. 6D - This full-frame body has appeared for $1500 in some places. It has far better noise control in low light: almost two full stops on the 70D, with a very sensitive center AF point to match. Physical size and layout are similar, but framerate and motion tracking with the main phase array are way behind, as is Live View AF. No LCD tilt or touch. Full-frame lenses cost half again more. The 70D is a better choice for most people, but weigh the 6D if you shoot methodically and care most about subject isolation and low-light performance.

vs. Nikon D7100 - Stills have more detail and dynamic range and respond better to post-processing. The main AF array is better than the 70D's and more configurable, but offset by a 6-frame raw buffer. No LCD tilt or touch. No Wifi. Dual SD cards. AF assist lamp. Intervalometer. The physical UI is better, though the menu UI is less polished, as are some software features. Video can be uncompressed over HDMI and 1080i/60, but motion AF is Rebel T5i-caliber. On the system side, Canon has better service and cheaper lenses in some categories. Stills would have to be a much higher priority than movies to favor this over the 70D.

Post if you have any questions -- I'll answer them. If you intend to downvote, please leave a comment so I can correct the inaccuracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an upgrade..., October 8, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I was on the fence with buying this as I had the 60D as my 2nd camera, and didn't know if this would worth the extra cost to upgrade, but it was and is. I LOVE this camera. The autofocus in video is AMAZING... I have been using this camera mounted on a 10 foot jib crane, and finally can get video camera quality focus on a DSLR. It's seriously one of the smartest upgrades I've ever made. I also own a 5DMIII, and that camera is amazing as most owners of it can tell you, but still, the auto focus on the 5DMIII isn't in the same field as the 70D. Which is saying a lot as the 5DMIII cost me over $3,000.

I read some reviewers saying that "True Film Makers" or "Photographers" will never use auto focus, and they just make me laugh. I'm a professional film maker and photographer, it's what I do for a living, and I can say that if you find a tool that helps you achieve the end result you are going for, simply and affordably, then get it. This is that tool. I honestly favour this camera to my 5D, and I wish it was in my possession a long time ago, as I can think of a dozen projects it would have helped having dramatically.

If you're looking at upgrading from the 60D or Rebel series DSLRs then don't think about it, buy this. If you have a 5D and you're thinking of this as a 2nd camera for your kit then you NEED this one. I am über satisfied with this purchase and would make it again and again, in fact I'm most likely going to be buying 2 more 70D bodies for a project coming up. At the price you get more bang for your buck than any piece of equipment I've purchased thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I am coming from a T3I (which I was more than happy with the image quality but needed more features). But when I got this 70D I just could not believe how sharp the pictures are and the colors are so true! I have been using the 55-250mm IS STM and 18-1235mm IS STM lens with this camera and the whole set up works fantastic. I did not think I would like the touch screen but it turns out I use it most of the time to adjust my settings. The video and shooting autofocus work great although I have had a few times where it would not autofocus on something usually in really low light conditions. When I posted some pictures on facebook all my friends and family commented on how much my photography has improved (they didn't know I got a new camera) I like to photograph wildlife, and the pictures of birds are just amazing you can see each fiber in their feathers and the small cracks in their talons. I find myself constantly looking for things to photograph just because it seems like each photo pleasantly surprises me. The shutter speed and FPS work great so that I can freeze the birds midflight and get tack sharp photos too. I highly recommend this camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars remarkable camera, October 11, 2013
John Anderson (Bar Harbor, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
This is the third Canon DSLR that I have used (20d way back when, 7d more recently, now this), and I think it may well be the best in just about every respect. The good/bad is that it is feels much lighter than the 7d, and as a result I decided to take it with me on a quick trip to Europe. The "bad" part of this is that I have to agree with the reviewers that complain about the control wheel feeling "cheap". It does, and it scares me, but so far it has worked flawlessly. Beyond this however the camera has more than met my expectations straight out of the box. The extra pixels are immediately noticeable when you crop a picture, the added speed makes photographing wildlife or difficult indoor situations a breeze, the autofocus is downright spectacular. I find that getting used to the touch screen may take some time & again I worry a tad about the durability of a screen that can be rotated six ways from Sunday, but the controls are all in the right places & the menus on the touch screen make sense and are easy to get through. Overall I would say that if you are looking for a really spectacular DSLR under 2000 bucks, look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great image quality & amazing autofocus!, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
The 70D packs cutting edge technology and features into a compact body. It's basically a marriage of 60D form factor and 7D AF. Toss in Wi-Fi, a new 20.2MP Dual Pixel CMOS, Movie Servo and that's the 70D in a nutshell.

CONSTRUCTION is superb: polycarbonate body shell, matte black paint and stainless steel undercarriage. Thick textured rubber and finger groove make for a secure grip. The shutter has the same metallic click-clack as the 60D and is louder than the 7D and 6D. Silent drive mode can fade operation to pianissimo, making it idea for stage and ceremonies.

Like the 60D, the 70D has a vivid 3.0" 1,040,000 dot LCD. The big deal is the addition of touch screen ability: sensitivity is as good as an iPhone 5s and ideal for LiveView shooting in dim light. The swivel LCD is handy for video and ground level macro. However, it hits L-plates and flash brackets when swiveled to the side.

CONTROLS: DSLRs are about control and nobody buys one to use in full auto. Don't like the results of auto exposure or AF? No problem: override or directly control. Plus, controls and features may be customized, allowing multiple ways to do the same thing. For example, I assigned electronic level activation to the DOF button and programmed C mode with my favorite drive, AF and exposure settings.

Buttons and wheels are solid and can be operated by feel while looking through the viewfinder. If coming from a 50D or 7D, you'll need to adjust to the lack of a joystick, flash exposure compensation (FEC) button and WB button. However, you can assign FEC to the SET button and a scale appears in the viewfinder. Finally, the 7D's toggle switch for LiveView and video migrated to the 70D, a big improvement over the 60D's clumsy Mode dial video.

AUTOFOCUS: The 70D inherited the 7D's blazing fast 19-point cross type AF array. It's sensitive and sure-footed in most light and includes three of the 7D's five AF modes: zone, manual selection and 19-point auto. Spot and expanded point AF are MIA. Nevertheless, a big step up from 9-point 60D AF. New DSLR users should understand these three AF modes aren't designed to recognize human faces like a point-and-shoot or iPhone. However, face recognition AF is available in LiveView and video modes.

TESTING AF: Using single point AF mode and a tripod, I shot test patterns both flat and inclined with my 15-85 IS USM and 50 2.5 CM. AF was extremely accurate, locking consistently on the point I selected on an inclined ruler. In real world use--landscapes, portraits, stage and travel--the AF system was amazingly surefooted and fast, besting my 7D with a nearly 100% keeper rate. This is the best AF system I have used, and I've owned dozens of cameras. My most important advice: take control of AF and select what you want to be in focus. Cameras aren't smart enough to know if you want a tree or cloud in focus, so avoid 19-point auto select mode and full auto. If you expect this camera to guess what you want you'll be disappointed.

UPDATE 08/10/2014. I got around to testing my EF 10-22 3.5-4.5 USM and focus was spot on at near focus and infinity. I also took my EF 70-200 4L IS USM for a spin and was surprised AF was a little off. Contrast focus in LiveView was perfect but the 19-point array needed +3 micro adjustment at the wide end and +2 at the long end. Now it's tack sharp. It's fine at default (MA 0) on my 7D, 5D MKII and 6D. However, very glad MA was included on this model! I had to send my 20D to Canon for focus calibration.

IMAGE QUALITY is similar to the 60D from ISO 100 to 800, i.e., great! I developed RAW images in Aperture and DPP and was pleased with detail, color rendition and noise control. At ISO 1600 plus the 70D pulls away from the 60D: slightly less noise than the 60D but noise is less prone to banding artifacts and more grain-like. Also, this noise is easier to control with noise reduction plug-ins, e.g., Topaz Denoise, squeezing out another stop of acceptable high ISO over my 60D. Basically ISO 6400 is acceptable for web or small prints, e.g., 11x14, with mild noise reduction treatment in PP.

VIDEO: Contrast detection AF during video or LiveView is a mammoth improvement over previous DSLRs. It's faster, includes a camcorder-like movie servo mode and focus-pulls are a snap with the touch screen. However, focus is poky compared to its19-point AF or any mirrorless cameras, e.g., Olympus Pen E-P5, I've tried. For dim light, e.g., city lights or moonlit landscapes, you'll want to stick to 19-point AF. That said, the improved contrast detection AF is a great feature, especially for holiday video shooters! If you disable face recognition AF speeds up considerably.

The file size limit of 4GB (FAT spec) means older EOS stop recording midway in a long track! The 70D solves this gotcha by automatically and seamlessly splitting files greater than 4GB for extended video recording! Plus, HD video quality is excellent: blacker blacks and cleaner in low light than my 60D and 7D. Search YouTube for videos of my ensemble, Leeward Coast Guitars, shot during Spring 2014.

WI-FI: Via the EOS Remote app you can diddle settings, fire shutter, and use LiveView on your iPhone, iPad, Droid or computer. Wi-Fi eats batteries fast, so carry spares. My main complaint is Wi-Fi is complicated to set up. Also, you can't upload directly to FB or photo sharing sites but, instead, upload to Canon's awkward photo service and transfer from there. But at least Canon wants your uploads to look good and provides in-camera tweaks and RAW conversion.

VIEWFINDER: The 98% coverage and .95x magnification are less than the 100% coverage and 1.0x of the 7D. However, viewfinder clarity and brightness are a level above the 60D and 7D and a couple levels better than a recent Rebel. Even with a F4 zoom the viewfinder is a pleasure to use: bright, grainless, smooth and vivid. The transmissive LCD display--transparent LCD over the focusing screen--can display icons, AF patterns, metering patterns, grid and plain matte screens and an electronic level.

FLASH: The popup flash is fine for fill and snapshots, and functions as a wireless E-TTL master. My 430EX II worked well as a slave bounced off walls and ceilings. Both bounce and direct flash images were well exposed. This is one of the few cameras I rarely need to touch FEC.

FINAL BURB: The 70D is a petite, nimble and capable instrument, and a significant upgrade over the 60D. Plus, it's easy on the shoulder, nails focus in almost any situation, captures impressive images and video and is an ideal travel and hiking DSLR. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DSLR for beginner and intermediate photographers alike, November 6, 2013
Awesome camera. Purchased to have a graphic designer friend (also a casual amateur photographer) do an engagement photo shoot of me and my fiancé, figuring for the cost I would save of hiring a true professional I would have a great camera to show for it at the end of the day. The photos came out amazing. I myself am very much an amateur and this is my first DSLR - while this is not the most basic in Canon's line-up, as with a lot of tech, I tend to go with the more pro-sumer models so there is plenty of room to grow before needing to upgrade down the line. I had been waiting a few years for Canon to release the perfect model with the right feature set for me, and the 70D is it. There are a lot of auto or semi-auto modes good for the beginner, as well as full manual controls (which is really why you would want to buy a camera like this anyway). The camera has excellent build quality without being too heavy. Live view looks great on the articulating screen, though I surprisingly quickly realized I much preferred the viewfinder (which also incidentally saves a TON of battery power - during our shoot we shot 478 photos (without flash) over 2.5 hrs, almost exclusively using the viewfinder, and included battery was still full when we were done). The included 18mm-55mm kit lens is, well, the included kit lens; no frills but sufficient to get you started. Have not played with the onboard wi-fi yet, nor the video which is actually supposed to be one of the major strengths of this model. All in all, very satisfied with this purchase thus far, and looking forward to capturing many memories to come with this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the money, hands down., December 13, 2013
I have several Canon Cameras. I'm a pro. My specialty is product and jewelry photography, and some fashion. For Fashion I use Nikon D800, for everything else, Canons. Anyhow, we make promotional videos and have been using the 5D Mk ii and iii, and they are great, but auto focus is troublesome at best. So when I read about the 70D I decided to go for it with the 18-135 lens and a super fast 80mb/s transfer rate memory card, are real must for high end video. I chose the Wasabi spare batteries over Canon, always do because they are better than the original Canon Batteries and a lot more affordable, must have spares, and that was it for the purchase. When the camera arrived I jumped right in. If you have experience with Canon cameras it is easy to adapt. I went through everything without reading the manual, and then hit a snag with video audio levels, so then I went for the manual which was no help, so then to the info Disc that comes with all Canons. Ahhh, there it is. It is the single issue I have with the 70D... the audio control is buried and also not as flexible as it needs to be (NEEDS TO BE, hello Canon, READ THIS).
Otherwise the video on the 70D is light years ahead of anyone else in DSLRs. The focusing system is killer, image quality is superb, and the audio, once found and set is sufficiently good, it is stereo.
The still shots from the 70D are in line with a 5D mark ii. You can read the specs for the other features, that's not my job here.
Some people said the camera feels cheap... not at all, not sure what crawled up their pipe to make them say that... you buy a 70D because you're not buying a 5D mk iii or 1DX. The one complaint I have of all Canon cameras is the software... it is lame compared to Nikon Software (they offer priced pro versions, Canon does not) you have to have PhotoShop when you have a Canon, and it makes no sense because I know Canon could easily enhance their editing software (NEEDS TO BE, hello Canon, READ THIS). Keep it in context and the 70D is the best all around camera Canon has ever made by far. I paid $1,199 on Amazon, look for that price, the package deals are not good deals yet, maybe in a year, but for now get the 70D with the 18-135mm STM lens and be super happy.

Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
$1,199.00 $1,099.00