5.0 out of 5 stars Most impressive!
As I'm an old film guy who has resisted digital photography almost as much as dentist visits, I've really avoided making the jump. Of course, I've had a few small point and shoot cameras for quick snapshots. But recently, I've found it necessary to get a camera with more capabilities and quality.

I'd love to have a higher-end DSLR, but flying these days...
Published on November 5, 2010 by G. S. Harmon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera but Could be Better
Published on January 3, 2011 by Michael D. Newcomer

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impressive!, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD (Camera)

I'd love to have a higher-end DSLR, but flying these days really doesn't lend itself to lugging a big camera bag with a couple of lenses, flash, etc. I gripe just taking my shoes off at the security checkpoint. And I am avoiding paying checked bag fees as much as I possibly can!

Last April, I finally decided to get something a bit nicer, and after weeks of searching through review after review, I finally settled on a Fuji HS10. At first, I loved that camera. Then, I discovered that particular unit was eating batteries with the voracity of John Pinette at a Vegas buffet. So, back it went. And I waited and continued to research.

Then, along comes Canon with this G12. Remember, I'm an old film guy, so I like some controls. But after 5 minutes playing with this camera, I was most impressed. Startup - it's ready to go in a flash. Focus - spot on for 99% of the photos I've shot (nothing's perfect), and that 1% I can peg on me for focus issues. Low light? Simply amazing! This camera's ability to compensate for low light is borderline spooky. Combined with the lens image stabilization, I've taken shots that would have required a tripod, cable release, and good old-fashioned luck with a film camera.

Sports mode is very good. While the 'rapid-fire' shots aren't blazing fast, they are sharp, clean, and quick to save. In fact, the camera is fast with saves in most every mode I've tried. And speaking of modes, I discovered one that I've fallen in love with - Nostalgia mode. With a quick click of the front-mounted scroll-wheel, one can age a photo making it appear a bit washed out and grainy. For artistic shots, this mode just made me feel like I was working darkroom magic without the darkroom!

Some folks have complained that it's too big for a pocket. I didn't really have any issues with that. In fact, I think that for everything this camera can do, it's size is one of the biggest selling points.

I just returned from a quick trip to Jamaica where I took all sorts of shots. The ones that got the most compliments were the low-light shots. And everyone that asked and showed this camera were amazed at what it was able to do.

As I mentioned - I'm incredibly impressed with this camera.

2,028 of 2,108 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tool for serious photographers - but not perfect., October 2, 2010
So I owned a G11 - and for whatever reason sold it a few months back. I have since tried the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 and Samsung TL500. This whole time I was searching for something better than the G-series - I only found it with the GF1 - but it is too large to be a compact.

I only give this camera 4 stars instead of 5 for the following reasons.
1. External Speedlite control - you still need a "Master" unit like a 580EX II or Canon STE2 to control external Speedlites. Canon should get off their butt in this area to compete with the new Nikon P7000. I almost considered going the Nikon route just to have that feature built in. Canon - start paying attention to what David Hobby says.

2. The screen is only 460K resolution. The Nikon mentioned above is 960K. The Samsung TL500 I mentioned above sports a beautiful AMOLED screen that knocks this one out of the park.

3. The pathetic optical viewfinder. You are catering to those people that say a camera MUST have one of these - stop it. You are wasting space with something so awful that even a disposable camera does better. I would rather have a higher resolution bigger screen (or a smaller camera) than this awful piece of warped tunnel-vision.

4. The rear control wheel is too small - enlarge it so it feels more like one of your DSLRs.

5. While the lens is gorgeously sharp (I mean competing with some of my L-lenses sharp) - f/2.8 to f/4.5 is slow.

6. The lens needs to be wider - 24mm f/2 (or even f/1.8 in the Samsung) equiv is the primary reason I tried the LX5 and TL500 before going back to Canon.

7. No microphone input for video recording.

8. Just too big and bulky - slim it down (but do NOT remove the articulating display).

So 8 knocks like that might sound like a big deal - but believe me when I say this - the camera is phenomenal.

Image quality is outstanding - I have had to process my RAW files with their converter (typically use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 - but even with their converter image quality is second to none in the compact world. I actually prefer to do product shots with a G-Series than my usual 5D2 kit due to the flexibility and increased depth of field. The lens is magnificently sharp. HD video results look pretty good - but not stellar. It'll do in a pinch - but its no camcorder replacement.

Operation speed is very very good. I have read a few posts saying that focusing speed is vastly improved from the G11 - I haven't found that to be the case but none-the-less its pretty good.

Construction quality is pretty good - but I don't like the rough textured finish as much as the smooth finish on the G11 - it somehow makes it feel cheaper.

Controls are absolutely second to none. Dedicated EV and ISO dials are wonderful. The new front control dial is great. The rear dial however could use a bit of an extension - hard to operate quickly with my fat thumb. The whole camera is a little fat - slim it down and kill the awful optical viewfinder. Would like a dedicated movie button like pretty much all of its competitors. The articulating display is fantastic - PLEASE include this whenever you update the 5D.

Value for the money is mostly good - but if you are like me and need on-camera control of external flashes add a whopping $200+ for the ST-E2.

All in all a fantastic camera - even if it is a minimal update to the G11.

Why I picked it over LX5 > See my LX5 review - but I didn't particularly like that camera. Biggest reason would the articulating display followed by the awful screen resolution when composing on the LX5.

Why I picked it over the TL500 > I couldn't get the TL500 to trigger external strobes using radio triggers - that plus the lens is MUCH sharper on the Canon. I must have a bad copy of the TL500 as finding a sharp photo in my 50+ test shots is pretty hard.

Why I picked it over the S95 > Hotshoe and articulating display. If the S95 had those it would win hands down.

Why I picked it over the P7000 > Articulating display is about it here if you don't take into account I already own several Canon Speedlites.

Why I picked it over the GF1 or EP1 > Size + Nikon P7000 comments.

Hope you found my review helpful - if so please click the link below!

Edit 30 days in: I would add one more negative - once you lock focus in video to start recording - that focus cannot be changed after the fact - disappointed in that.

Also - I dropped mine this morning =( from 4ft onto concrete. Surprised that everything still works great and as expected it got marred up and one corner's metal is a little bent - but it still works which is impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Canon G12 for advanced photography, January 8, 2011
Hello, I am a part-time fine art photographer and my favorite subjects are landscapes, flowers, classic European architecture, travel, visual arts and crafts. I work with two DSLR systems but like to have with me a compact camera at all times for any eventuality. Depth of field, composition and sharpness are typically more important to me than very fast focusing and shooting (I work mostly in Av mode) but sometimes I need my equipment to be responsive enough to capture travel's fleeting moments.

I have recently replaced my award-winning compact Fuji E900 with a Canon G12. Living not far from B&H in Manhattan, I had the chance to "play" with it and the other two cameras I was considering - the Nikon P7000 and the Panasonic LX5 with its external EVF - before buying. After putting the camera through its paces for a couple of weeks with my kind of photography I have come to the following conclusions.

The G12 is an advanced compact camera larger than your average pocketable but smaller than a micro 4/3" or similar. It does not fit in a shirt pocket but it does it in a regular pouch together with your wallet, cell phone etc. (I never use photo bags to avoid advertising the equipment). The fact that it has some size and weight makes it more stable in my hands and allows for its numerous external controls.

The camera's key features include a larger than average 1/1.7" 10Mp sensor with superior image quality in low light and higher ISO values, a sharp 28-140mm zoom lens, an optical viewfinder, a fully articulated LCD monitor, many dedicated external controls, manual exposure, Raw format, good responsiveness, reasonably fast autofocus even in low light, and a powerful flash.

Beginning with the G11, Canon has dared bringing down the resolution of its G series sensors from 14Mp to 10Mp, which is more than enough for most users. This gutsy move has significantly reduced high ISO noise. I can make enlargements around 16x20" from the G12 with ISO 800 pics in good light and ISO400 in low light (in Raw format and proper processing in Camera Raw).

The 5x zoom lens, even if not particularly bright, extends from a very useful 28mm wide angle to a 140mm short telephoto. This conservative zoom range covers most of my typical photography, keeps the lens sharp through every focal length and reduces distortions and aberrations. Some kinds of photography can be done with inexpensive equipment but true wide angle and telephoto work requires high quality, expensive equipment and solid technique (if you are serious about your photography stay away from superzoom cameras). The zoom control is a bit on the sensitive side.

Composing with an LCD monitor is sometimes useful but generally awkward and unstable, does not help you concentrate on your subject, and is downright impossible in bright light. The G12 offers an optical viewfinder which, while small and covering only 77% of the image, is often a life saver. When I worked with slide film I strove for a final crop in-camera. Then I moved to digital and learned the creative advantage of shooting wider and doing final cropping in processing. Hence the 77% viewfinder coverage is not an issue for me, I just shoot very tight.

The camera has a sharp 2.8", 461Kp fully articulated LCD monitor hinged on the side (so that it is never in the way of the tripod head). There are specific shooting conditions where a monitor like this is useful. This includes shooting over people's heads, at ground level and wherever your arms can reach but your head can't. I do macro in the field where this feature is invaluable. A few days ago I photographed the always crowded New York Botanical Garden train show and used the LCD monitor for most of my pictures. With the camera in P mode and forced flash I got many publication-quality pics.

I like the camera's external controls a lot, especially the top and front dials. I am less enthused with the back dial which is a little awkward to operate. I have to be careful with my right hand because sometimes I touch the four-way controller, especially the manual focus button. The menu system is more modern and fancier than my Pentax and Olympus cameras but it is a bit slower. The same holds true for the autofocus which is however quite fast and accurate in low light due to the focus assist lamp. In the end, the G12 is overall much faster than the "mythical" EVF cameras I owned in the past, including the Olympus C8080 and the Fuji S9100 which took ten seconds or more to write a Raw pic to memory (the G12 does it in two seconds). Continuous shooting is up to 2fps in best possible conditions (jpeg and fixed focus and exposure) and drops to 0.8fps with continuous focus.

All the manual controls are there. The camera can shoot Raw and, my favorite, Raw + jpeg. I do all my main work in Raw but having jpegs readily available for the web and for portability is a real treat (you can check or show your jpegs with every computer). The flash is quite powerful reaching 21' at wide angle in P mode.

Using the camera in automatic is as simple as it gets but learning its functions serves two purposes: it allows you to get out of trouble if you press the wrong button, and to use all that the camera can offer to the creative photographer. If all you want is a point-and-shoot, there is plenty of smaller, simpler and/or less expensive models out there.

The camera offers a cornucopia of operating functions. I particularly value the live histogram before and after shooting, enlarged playback for checking focus, auto exposure bracketing up to +-2 f/stops (for out-of-camera HDR applications), spot autofocus and custom white balance. In jpeg format, I appreciate the Shadow Correct more than the Dynamic Range Correction because it does not crank up the ISO setting (= more noise). I prefer to process my Raw HDR pictures in Photoshop but I am impressed with the effectiveness of the in-camera HDR function (jpeg only). It requires the use of a tripod because the G12 cannot fine-align the three pictures it takes but with this camera you can use the lightest carbon fiber tripod on the market.

Macro photography is all right with the usual limitations: the maximum magnification happens at wide angle which puts the front of the lens very close to the subject (= lighting problems). Focus bracketing is limited by the fact that is does not work in macro. It would be a killer macro feature when paired with Photoshop's extended focus function. The G12 has an exhaustive set of accessories including an AC adapter, remote release and a ring flash (there are compatible ring flash units that cost a fraction of the Canon's). The lack of a printed manual is disappointing. I immediately printed my own from the enclosed CD.

I almost always work in Av mode with the autofocus set on center spot and locking, and unlocked exposure. With static subjects I like to pick my focus where I want it by pressing the shutter button half way, recompose (with the exposure continuously updating) and take the picture. With the G12 I have to pick the exposure first and lock it with the star button (top right in the back), then half press the shutter button to pick the focus point, recompose again and shoot (it takes much longer to explain it than do it). Please correct me if there is a better way to do this.

In jpeg and Quick Shot mode the camera is at its fastest. The LCD monitor turns into an info screen similar to a DSLR camera, autofocus is set to continuous and you compose with the optical viewfinder.

The G12 takes movies at 720p at 24fps or lower resolutions at 30fps with stereo sound but without manual controls or optical zoom. I tried and it works as intended (but I use a camcorder for video).

As for the competition, the Nikon 7000 is a great camera but independent testing indicates that it is unresponsive and can be frustrating to operate. The Panasonic LX5 is also very good but has no optical viewfinder. I would have to buy and use the external electronic viewfinder which I don't like and makes the whole setup somewhat awkward.

In conclusion, I find working with this camera in all the situations that do not require high speed or low light performance to be truly enjoyable. With all the limitations inherent in a compact camera, the G12 is a truly remarkable piece of photographic equipment. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to professional photographers as a go-everywhere camera as well as to serious amateurs who really want to learn the art and don't mind reading the manual.

ONE YEAR LATER: after four seasons of not heavy but regular use, I would not replace the G12 with any other comparable camera on the market. There are several points that I would like to make. Shooting coastline landscapes, I have grown a real appreciation for the 16:9 format. With the LCD open to the side and facing down, I am able to lift the camera well over my head and, in specific cases, gain a crucial, higher point of view. While I am a Raw + Photoshop kind of photographer, I am always mystified by the quality of the camera's jpeg HDR function (using a very light tripod). I am also an adult educator and the pictures of my students in the classroom that I take with the flash are really good. The major sacrifice imposed by the size of this camera is the lack of an EVF. The LCD monitor is OK in low light but in the sun you can kiss it goodbye. With all its limitations, it's the optical viewfinder that ends up saving the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feast your eyes on an upgraded G series digital camera!, October 5, 2010
First, let me say I own or have owned a G10, G11, and G12. I am not really sure why anyone expect the G12 to be a major upgrade to the G11. The title of this review is the first line of Canon's marketing material on the Canon USA website....so this is what I personally expected, and Canon delivered, as far as I am concerned. I am not a professional, so my observations are from the viewpoint of an average guy with a serious camera addiction. I took photos side by side using my G10, G11, and G12 and I have to be honest, I could not tell much difference, though a slight nod would go to the newest camera. They are all great, however, and suit an average user like me perfectly. My tests were not scientific and not comprehensive - I have to work for a living after all. I am very pleased with the image quality, but is it a major upgrade from previous G series cameras, I do not think so. If I were forced to choose one, I would probably go for the G12 because the photos look slightly nicer to me, and the camera is easier to work with but only if I am forced to choose!

Build quality is also as you would come to expect from a Canon high end compact camera that costs $500. It is excellent just like the G10 and G11. They all feel and look pretty similar. There is an extra rubber grip on the back for your thumb which is kind of nice. Overall, and I have smallish hands, I find the G12 the easiest of these 3 cameras I have been comparing, to hold.

Probably the most important new feature is employment of Canon's HS (high sensitivity) system (combination of sensor and processing engine) which migrates from the EOS line. Does it deliver on its promise to improve image quality and allow shooting at higher ISO? I think the answer is yes it does, but not very much. The camera maxes out at 3200 ISO marked on the dial and you can bump it up to 12,800 albeit at lower resolution using the Low Light mode. Again, this is how it looks to my not professional rapidly aging, eyes. Whether it is worth running out an upgrading from a G11 is totally subjective and I cannot answer this for anyone. The camera also has the Hybrid IS system a la the updated 100mm Canon macro lens which compensates for a greater range of camera shake type. It looked to me like the camera did a more effective job at obtaining sharper photos at the same speeds as my G11. This is important to me as my hands do shake and I enjoy macro and cannot always use a tripod. Nor would I expect people buying a carry along point and shoot camera to carry a tripod with them.

There are additional new shooting modes like HDR that takes several photos then combines them for greater detail, better exposure. FYI, this feature was available in Ricoh cameras for sometime already, so Canon and Nikon are just catching up here. But I think it works a bit better on the Canon than it does in my Ricoh. The photos do look a bit richer, more detailed to me. Canon offers a level adjuster with this camera so you can keep your photos looking, well more level. Another feature that has been available elsewhere for years.

There are other niceties about this camera. Like you can pre-set the maximum ISO level (I like because a lot of cameras seem to default to a higher ISO than I would set for myself), there is a front dial to control settings (another inheritance from the EOS line), you can control the dynamic range (just like on Sony cameras from the past) for improved highlight clipping control, and you can shoot in a 1:1 aspect ratio (square which I personally like however, you guessed it, Canon is late to the party on this feature too) to name a few.

I will not comment on the video. I never use it and if I were able to trade video capability for say, a slightly bigger or better sensor, or a faster lens, I would do so in a heartbeat. But I have no idea if such a thing is even possible or practical. This is only my opinion and reflects my personal set of priorities. If it were up to me, I would dispense with most of the shooting scenes and the video if it meant a lower price or a camera with better image quality.

I share the findings of many that this is an incremental upgrade of the G11 as Canon's own literature seems to suggest. Higher expectations than this may be met with disappointment. But in my opinion, the G12 raises the bar, if only a little, of one of the best compact cameras available. I think as long as you keep what the G12 is, (an upgrade) in perspective with what it is not (evolutionary) you will not find yourself regretting your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a toy, excellent photo quality for a serius photographer, October 12, 2010
I went to LA last week, from Ecuador for 10 days on vacations, I wished to have this new camera in my hands to feel it, but at Samy's store at Fairfax blvd, they didn't have the camera yet, I ordered one from Amazon, (cost ¡$600 plus fast shipping! because it was the only one available at that moment, but...), finally I have it in my hands.
first impressions: small enough, not exactly a point & shoot camera, but not to big too, ideal to bring with you a better equipment than any point & shoot camera any were without to carry a big dslr and a bunch of lenses, actually y have a Canon 5d mkII, a canon 50d and I began the dslr world with the famous Canon 20d, something interesting is that I use all this cameras with a bunch of old Nikkor lenses (at least 20 years old) using an adapter ring, for me it is the perfect marriage, Canon body with old Nikkor lenses, of course I can only use the manual mode and have to use the manual focus ring to get focus but... while my sight is 20/20 love the final results.

Some features about this camera:

1 The lcd is fantastic, allows to take pictures or movie shoots in practical any position and situation, nice also when you are taking videos or do not want to be noticed when you are shooting, getting more spontaneous photos.
2 The ergonomic of the wheels for ISO,compensation and the mode selector are very well located, they work firmly.
3 The new front wheel, that works for increase or decrease the aperture or shutter speed is great.
4 The menu is easy to use and I like the new formats and sizes you can take pictures, 10:9, 4:3, 1:1, 3:2, 4:5 allows to get a better composition and photo formats without crop the image.
5 the rugged feel is nice for me, besides is only in two parts of the camera, where your hand and fingers needs more support.
6 At first instance I though the optical view finder appears to be so simple and "awful" like somebody told before, but, the diopter corrector works fine and when I clean the visor glasses, become so clear and nice that actually I am using it a lot, because do not need to open the lcd screen and it is possible to see the green or orange light which tells you that the exposition is ok or not, "going back to the old times".
7 I did not test enough the video, but at first look, it is ok and allows to record some interesting moments.
8 The quality of the pictures is awesome, really love it, finally can get almost the quality I have with my DSLRs but in a small camera.
9 It is fast, is ready to take pictures maybe in a second.
10 The quality of the lcd screen may be is not the best, but, allows you to see if the picture is ok, and normally if you see that the picture is ok, when you opened in any software the picture is !really great!
11 for me all the wheels are well located, the buttons are in the right place, I have a normal hands size, use xl gloves, but have not fat fingers.
12 The autofocus works great, fast and with an excellent accuracy, feature not easy to find in a small camera, so reduces the possibility of loosing a nice photo.
12 Could be perfect, but nothing is.

This is my first week with this camera, I will let you know more and more of my experience.

for now, I am really happy, fits my requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I ws looking for, November 21, 2010
Anant Dabholkar (Aurora, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I have had this Camera for a few weeks and want to share my findings in this review.

I shoot with Canon DSLR's like the 50D and 5D MkII and needed something pocketable with enough manual control plus a lot of electronic wizardy when I didn't have time to set up a shot.

This camera fills all those needs.

1. Easy to carry in a coat pocket and very light compared to any interchangeable lens camera
2. Excellent Image Quality (IQ)at ISO 80, 100 and 200, reasonable upto even 800 for small prints
3. Seems quite well built, and has reasonable control through 5 dials (total) on the outside.
4. Much more depth of field (DOF)than an APS-C of Full Frame sensor, this helps tremendously for just about everything other than artsy portraits where shallow DOF may be desirable. Great for Macros, Landscape etc. where it is a struggle with larger sensors to get the right DOF.
5. Fast startup time, and response to inputs.
6. JPegs are very very good compared to the time and effort to process RAW files and get just a little more of anything, at all, as compared to high end DSLR's where the opposite is true.
7. 720p HD movies. You can't change focus during recording, but this isn't a movie camera, get a dedicated one if you are really wanting to shoot movies, but in a pinch, this works for landscapes and anything else where you aren't focussing a moving objects and looking for a shallow DOF. Even DSLR's like Sony's A55 etc make compromises in order to get focussing when shooting movies.
8. Someone here critized the frame rate/speed of this camera. Well, it is only 1 frame per second slower than a 5D MKII that costs 5 times as much without a lens! I would never use this to shoot sports or birds in flight, no kidding.
9. The movable LCD screen is a real plus, lots and lots of uses for this, and flipping it over protects the screen, a big plus.
10. F2.8 lens, instead of a faster lens. I would take a better quality F2.8, (still a fast lens, fast enough for Pros) than a much larger F2.0 lens, if it lowers Image Quality in any way. At ISO 100, the portrait detail is almost as good as a DSLR and lens costing atleast twice as much, if not much, much more.
11. The Hybrid IS is great, have not had a single Out of Focus shot, even a slow as 1/15th of a second, and I'm old!
12. I'm adding a 270EX flash for more range and to save the camers batteries. Very cute pair.
13. I'm getting the FA(?) lens filter attachment, so I can use a polarizer filter, and so I can put on a lens cap to protect the filter. This moves in and out with the lens and avoids vignetting, and will be great in protecting the lens with a replaceable filter and keeping the lens free of dust.

Very few negatives, since you really should not be comparing this to a DSLR. If you must have a DSLR, get a Canon XS for about the same money, which then has its own limitations.

Is this a pro camera? NO. Its a great back up camera for a pro, who wants to travel light and stealthy, and get 80% of the shots.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update after 4 weeks of extensive use:

Like:
1. Very fast response and great handling
2. Shot about 8 GB (~600 pics +25 short video clips), and only less than 10 pictures and 1 video were out of focus.
3. The Canon FA-DC58B filter adapter held up well,and kept dust away from the lens. Used polarizers effectively with no vignetting.
4. The Lowepro 100 AW soft case worked well with the camera + lens adapter, and I was able to keep an 8GB card, spare battery and filter in a small, weather tight unobtrusive package that didn't invite unwanted attention, like a SLR would when travelling and with customs.
5. Once I got used to switching modes, flash on-off, video to pictures, low-light mode, all in a jiffy, I was really getting a lot of great shots and videos. I doubt if I would have been able to do all this with my DSLR without an assistant!
6. The low light mode with IS is incredible. The noise is easily removed with software like Topaz Denoise, and the end results are good enough for the web and small prints.

Dislike:
1. Not much, other than keep your fingers away from the flash, and thats user error!

All in all, unless I needed the highest quality for landscapes of studio work, this camera does the trick, with a lot less stress!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great $500 Camera, October 31, 2010
R. Sutton (Rio Vista, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
First let me comment on the "One Star" reviews. These people need to wake up to reality. This is the best compact digital camera in this price range.... PERIOD.

I have the Canon XTI, the 40D, the 5D Mark II, the G-11 and a $2,500 Panasonic Vid Cam. I'm a retired professional photographer. What camera do I always have with me? The G-12. For anything up to 11x14 prints they all fit the bill nicely.

Of course for high end work, it's the 5D Mark II or the Panasonic. I just tested the G-12 against the Panasonic for video capability. The Panasonic has two distinct advantages. Power zoom while shooting and the ability to use an external microphone with wind screen (Dead Cat). But we are talking apples and pears. You don't carry a large vid-cam on your belt.

I spent a few hours on the Virginia & Truckee Railway out of Carson City, NV. (Side note-- a great steam train ride) I shot with the G-12 and the Panasonic Professional AG-HMC40 AVCHD Camcorder with 10.6MP Still and 12x Optical Zoom. I planned to use the video to create a DVD of the ride. On the finished DVD if is not possible to tell the difference in the video shot with which camera. However, there is objectionable wind noise with the G-12 when shooting into the wind. But that's a given that any videographer already knows will happen with an unprotected microphone.

Five stars for the G-12. It does a great job for stills and video. Lots of great usable features.

The one star folks need to spend the $$$ if they want a "does everything any time any where features" and stop crying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera (I've never given anything 5 stars), November 10, 2010
I compared the G12 endlessly to other similar cameras, especially Nikon P7000, Canon S95, Lumix LX5.

I troubled about the 2.8 vs. 2.0 lens, and the shorter zoom range, and lack of zoom during video.

Two things finally swayed me:

1. Confidence in Canon G-line - they've been the most popular compact among pro photographers for a long time.
2. The articulating display.

So far, I am happy with my decision.

I assume Canon went with the 2.8 because they'd rather clip the aperture than suffer any quality loss. I know they are aware that everything else being equal, we'd all prefer 2.0 over 2.8. I'm guessing they wouldn't have been able to make everything else be equal while pushing the max aperture to 2.0. The quality at 2.8 is excellent.

Likewise, I assume they drew the limit zoom-wise to maximize performance in the range that is supported. The quality at 95mm max zoom (35mm equivalent) is excellent.

I consider the articulating display a must have feature. I know some people think its gimmicky, but for me it just changes everything about the usability of the camera. I could go on and on, but I'll try and be brief: you can take pictures of the underside of mushrooms on a muddy forest floor without getting muddy; you can take pictures discreetly without holding a camera to your face; you can hold the camera high in the air or around a corner and snap; you can take pictures of yourself...

Yes, its bulkier than the S95, but thats a tradeoff that seems worthwhile to me - I have a small lumix if I need to put a camera in my pant pocket with less bulge...

Anyway, I just found out the Lumix shoots AVCHD video which Lightroom does not support, so I would have been out in the cold there, since I have a Lightroom-centric workflow.

The biggest downside compared to the Lumix is you can't zoom while shooting video on the G12 like you can with the Lumix. - Big bummer if you shoot much video with it. Luckily for me I have an older Canon S5 that zooms whilst video-ing, granted its standard def, but thats not a big deal to me.

Another peeve is the on/off push-button is easily pressed and whenever pressed tries to extend the lens. Thus if you carry in a pocket or small bag you run the risk of having it turn on and damage the lens extension mechanism - drives me crazy.

Another thing I wish the flash could extend more - you can't take macros very close with popup flash supplementation without the lens blocking the light from the flash.

I will say I had fairly low expectations image-quality-wise due to the small sensor of all compacts, but I was very pleasantly surprised! The image quality at ISO 80-100 rivals my Nikon D300 at ISO200, and the image quality at ISO800 is very usable (with noise reduction provided by Lightroom), unlike my Canon S5 that looks atrocious at ISO800.

The lens is very sharp with surprisingly little chromatic aberration, most of which is nicely corrected by Lightroom. Likewise, wide angle distortion is nicely corrected by Lightroom.

The exposure compensation and ISO dials right on body are a godsend. In my opinion, no camera manufacture has invented a really slick UI yet, and Canon is no exception. But, if you're a manual-ISO-a-holic like me its really cool having that adjustment so handy. Ditto for exposure comp.

Other downside: There are three little LEDs forever lit up, that don't really help enough to be able to make adjustments in the dark, but make the camera forever visible. I wish there was a stealth mode that would not only silence the camera, but deep-6 the leds too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my G12 Purchase, October 24, 2010
A little history: I shot a lot of SLR film back in my college days, mostly for newspaper and print publications - not pro work, but still had to produce like one. Over the years I stopped having time for such things, until digital photography raised its head in the '90's and I jumped from one technology to another. Only recently having rediscovered SLRs by way of the digital models, I've grown more and more disdainful of my various point-and-shoot models which I burned through at about one a year.

I played with a friend's G11 recently and was more than a little impressed. The quality of pictures, responsiveness of the camera, balanced with the relatively compact size and breath of features sold me at once. Reading about the G12 I bought one without even trying it.

I was not disappointed. After shooting 200 pictures last week I'm very satisfied. This is a wonderful compromise in size against my Nikon digital SLR. I'm able to hand it off to friends to take a shot and they get great results as well. The feel is sturdy, the menus and functions very straightforward, and the shots I'm getting are terrific. Time from being turned off to taking a picture is among the fastest I've dealt with.

I know there are some very negative reviews of this camera, but they're apparently from people who are upset that this wasn't more of an update from the G11, and they unfairly ding this model because they want to get a dig in on Cannon. I don't think you have to go further than reading through their "complaints" to understand they can be wholly dismissed.

This will be my camera of choice for my trip to Mexico next month. Really looking forward to shooting with this camera!

Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera but Could be Better, January 3, 2011
I know no one likes to hear a less-than-stellar review, but I have to be honest about this camera. It's a good camera, and as long as there is plenty of light, it takes dSLR quality photos. However, it seems anything over ISO 400 is objectionably noisy. I can usually fix this in Lightroom, but then you lose sharpness, and re-sharpening adds back in noise of its own. A 100% view on your photos will reveal the noise at these ISO levels. Although I'm not usually given to pixel-peeping, it rather jumped off the screen at me in Lightroom when I offloaded my first photos from this camera. The lens is not particularly fast, so I end up having to use higher ISO's to freeze motion and avoid camera-shake in many indoor situations.

Before this, I had the G9 which was an awesome camera. Very low noise, high resolution, it was almost hard to take a bad photo with it, but it ended up getting dust in the lens over time. If I could have found a G9 that was in good shape and a decent price I probably would have gone that route.

I gave it 3 stars because it still gives excellent quality at low ISO's and the articulated screen is really a plus and it's built like a tank. I am still happy with my purchase, after all it's just a walkabout P&S, if I want to do serious low-light photography, I'll have to stick with my dSLR.

ARRAY(0xa7baa1e0)