5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens, Sharper than the 1200$ 35L
So I will make my review short and sweet:

Published 17 months ago by SkyphotoX

3.0 out of 5 stars Found the kit lens more handy
RAW, tripod stabilized image inside a dim church looked equally sharp as the kit lens. The kit lens image seemed just a bit dimmer though. It might be faster in lowlight than the kit lens but it has terrible focusing in low light and a large amount of the shots came out, out-of-focus. Best used outdoors and I would say the kit lens was generally a better lens because of...
Published 9 months ago by Aaron Nunez

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens, Sharper than the 1200$ 35L, July 10, 2013
SkyphotoX (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-M 22mm f2 STM Compact System Lens (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
So I will make my review short and sweet:

Sharpness/IQ: This lens outperforms both the 35 L and 50 1.4 in terms of sharpness at f/2. The IQ is absolutely stunning for a lens you can pick up for around 100$. It is stunning compared to a 1200$ prime. This lens blows the 50 1.8 out of the water in terms of bang for the buck. See the heavily cropped photo of my dog I added to the gallery as an example.

Distortion: No noticeable distortion.

Build Quality: Construction is nice, not L nice, but sturdy and clean.

Autofocus: Focus speed is a bit slow, but that is the EOS-M for you. very quiet.

Summary: I own a 5dmk2 and a variety of L lenses, and after a day I can say this is my favorite lens of the bunch. It is small, well built, and has the best IQ canon has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably sharp!, August 14, 2013
S. Kim (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
I own several above average lens including a few primes and this thing is the sharpest I've ever had the pleasure of using.

I knew it was going to be sharp by the reviews that I scanned through but I didn't realize that it would be so sharp completely wide open. Usually, when a lens is fast with a wide aperture, you tend to reserve that for emergency last ditch situations in low light because subjects get soft. But not with this lens.

With it completely open, it's sharper than any of my zoom lens and rivals most of my primes at their peak settings. With it stopped down a bit, it blows everything away.

Personally, most of the times, I don't like an extremely shallow DOF so I tend to stop it down and boy is this thing sharp!

Only gripe is that even with the 2.0.2 firmware for the EOS M, it still hunts a bit in low light. Not a big deal for me and also don't know if its the lens or the body because I don't have another model lens to compare it to. But I know that on my DSLR, one of my primes, EF-S 60, hunts a lot so it could be the lens.

Anyways, fantastic lens and I couldn't be happier even at double the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little lens, July 9, 2013
For the price and what it is, this is a fantastic little lens. I was impressed with the EOS M camera, but I think a lot of the credit has to go to this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for landscapes.., December 29, 2013
Yar "Traveler" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this to go with the 18-55 that comes with the kit for the Canon M - good for wide views. Canon quality, WORKS ONLY ON THE CANON M Series - if you don't a Canon M series, this won't work for you on any other Canon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The EOS M should have come with this, September 20, 2013
This is the lens that the EOS M should have come with. It's my go to lens for everyday general shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible lens at an unbelievable price, July 22, 2014
This is an amazing little lens at a fantastic price! This lens alone is what makes owning the Canon EOS-M worthwhile for me. I have had the camera and this lens for a month now and I'm falling in love with it more and more. I'm a professional photographer who always wants to capture high resolution/quality images even in my most casual settings and this camera/lens combination does that for me perfectly. It's bright f2.0 aperture means I can can shoot at night or in not so bright situations with just available light at up to 1600 ISO and it looks great with very, very low noise (the camera actually shoots much higher ISO but noise really starts to show after 1600). Also the 22mm focal length on the EOS-M is a very group portrait friendly focal length so it make's the camera perfect for family/friends gatherings. I also own the kit zoom (18-55) that comes with the camera and it's a great lens too, great color and very sharp, but it's apertures are way smaller that this lens' are and there for it has limited usability for me. In short, this little lens is what makes the Canon EOS-M a power-house of a camera. And best of all, you can't beat the price of this system either! because the EOS-M was discontinued by Canon this last January so you can get and entire camera kit with all accessories for half of what you would pay for an equivalent current system from Sony, Olympus, or Fuji. Oh! and the image quality from this system beats all of them too in my professional opinion....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens and very compact., October 13, 2014
very sharp - fixed prime so you zoom with your feet - nice inexpensive quiet compact lens - what's not to like?

*** revision ***

Reading some of the reviews I think there are a few things that might be said to help others make a decision on this lens like,

1.) They are White Box Lenses i.e. they came from Canon packaged camera kits - Canon sold the EOS-M with the 22 mm or with both the 22mm and the 18-55 zoom <or> just the base unit, or with all lenses and the flash unit included in the same box and they offered these with USA warranties or as Imported units (gray Market)products.

What does this mean? - well the products are the same in manufacturing quality and design - the USA products carry the USA warranty and can be serviced by any authorized USA center vs the Imported that need to be sent out of country for service.

When you consider that Amazon will allow the return of the product in 30 days if say there is a defective issue you need to send it back - after that the seller might take it back if you ask or if not you are on your own - in reality this product is so reliable odds of having an issue are very slim - they will either work perfectly out of the box or they won't - if after a few years it fails (doubtful) just buy another - because the cost of repair would exceed the cost of a new replacement lens at today's selling prices.

2.) Yes the 22mm doesn't have IS and yes, there is some "minimal" distortion - Folks - a 22mm lens is nearly what is considered as a fish eye lens so that's normal for any 22 mm lens no matter the price point or manufacturer and totally correctable in Photoshop or other editing software.

3.) There is a lens shade for this lens - $10.00 on Amazon - get it.

4.) Be advised some of the cameras and lenses are Imported vs USA models - there is fine print listed covering this - it's not really a big deal given the cost of these cameras and that the 30 day Amazon return option will cover you as most will either be DOA or last for normal service intervals.

I have another take on if you should get the M lenses or use your glass - here's mine, I bought both of the M lenses even though I have nearly every L glass Canon makes up to the 300 mm F2.8 Prime so I have a big $ investment in L glass and I did buy the adapter however, I'm not going to use my L glass for everyday shooting on this camera - that would defeat the reason for a small camera and putting my L glass in harms way by dragging it around in the car or what ever - forget it - the kit lenses are very acceptable in terms of sharpness and overall performance ie. speed, clarity, color rendering, etc. so for a camera and lens arrangement for everyday use and go in harms way that's why I went with the kit lenses. now if I decide to do some serious stuff with the small base unit because of the size and weight savings I can drag out the L glass and have at it - I like options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Except glare, it is a amazing lens. Every EOS-M owner should buy one, if you don't have it yet., January 25, 2014
Roy (El Dorado Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I would like to give it 4 stars due to glare, but for its price and build quality, I have it 5 stars.

It is small, light, with good build quality. Color is generally good, partially because of default settings in EOS-M. Sharpness is really really good, especially at f2, center is sharp enough that I won't hesitate to use f2 when it is dark. I have 5 primes for 5D2, including 3 L lenses. This lens is at least on par with 35L/85 for sharpness at f2. For other lenses, I would think about sharpness when I want to use wide open, but I won't with this lens.

Bokeh is beautiful, due to its 7 blades aperture. Given its actual 22mm focal length, bokeh is better than I expected, pretty creamy, way better than similar priced 50/1.8II. The 5 blade aperture on 50/1.8II not only produces pentagon shaped dot, but bokeh is also dry.

AF is slow, with EOS-M. MF is painful. MF ring is hard to use. You have to either choose full AF from menu settings. Or you set to AF+MF. Then you need to half press shutter in order to be able to turn MF ring to make MF work. So MF is practically not an option. But well, EOS-M is not designed for MF anyway.

Glare is a big headache. You must avoid light source on your side, otherwise, you can easily get picture washed. You should also be careful with back light for portrait.

Overall, just over 100 bucks is extremely good value. Build quality is good, picture quality is good, center is sharp at f2. It might not be an apple to apple comparison, but I feel it is way better than 50/1.8II in terms of wide open sharpness and bokeh.

Compare to 35L, 35L costs at least 12 times more. It has better contrast and color, AF is much faster. F1.4-F2 is very usable. They are not in the same league. If you have a 35L with 6D/5D2/3, great, but that should not stop you to get a EOS-M + 22mm as a back up camera or small camera to substitue an old DC. For serious portrait/landscape pictures, I would carry 5D2+35L. But in many cases when I don't want to or cannot carry the bit DSLR, I bring this one.

PS: I did not get the 18-55 as it is too bulky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens, perfect working order, August 26, 2013
Didn't come in a fancy box but the lens is working great and the image quality is fantastic. Nice and compact, with very lovely DOF effects. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, September 14, 2014
Tzar (Bangalore, India) - See all my reviews
Pleasantly surprised. It's the perfect companion for the Canon EOS M. A must have lens. My favourite focal length too. Gives me 35mm angle of view. Great build quality. I want a lens hood right now though. Camera is extremely pocketable. Love it love it. Trust me. I'm a professional photographer.

Canon EF-M 22mm f2 STM Compact System Lens (OLD MODEL)
$249.00 $102.85