972 of 1,015 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to the crop sensor problem.
My take on this lens is that it is an "L" quality optic in a fine, non "L" package. There is nothing else on the market to compete with it (nothing at all), and it produces supurb images. It isn't an f/2.8 lens, but it is close enough for most uses. The competition from Tamron is a full stop slower, not as sharp, and is awful in dim light compared to the Canon 10-22 lens...
Published on November 19, 2006 by Jim Krupnik

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but no other options
If you have a 1.6x cropped sensor, then this is really the only super wide angle lens canon makes. The crop factor makes this equivalent to a 16-35mm lens on a full sensor. The construction quality feels solid and well built. That said, this is not an "L" lens. I'm not an "L" snob ... I'll take a value where ever I can get it. The sharpness on this lens is pretty...
Published on September 17, 2006 by Matt Dotson

‹ Previous | 15 6 735 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens, July 21, 2008
Laurie McDonagh (MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs (Camera)
I have been using this lens at weddings and simply love it! While there is a lot of distortion on the edge at 10mm (which should be expected, but still stinks), it makes for some unique images, especially when trying to take in the entire "scene". I have also used it to get large group shots when there's no room to back up. At one wedding, I overheard someone saying "that must be an awfully wide lens 'cause I can't get everyone in!" as he gave up and walked away. I had enough room on the edges that they could easily do an 8x10 crop if they wanted to. It's also fantastic for the bride's getting ready images when it's in a small room. What a useful lens to have in the arsenal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens..., February 28, 2008
The Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens is the premier wide-angle zoom lens for the Canon 40D SLR. I purchased it after extensive research reading reputable reviews, including user experiences posted in photo forums. It has significantly less distortion at the wide end than any of the 3rd party lenses while maintaining better image quality. It is expensive, but I asked myself how long I would likely use it. Answer: the rest of my life! So I decided to not compromise and buy the proper lens for my 40D - and I haven't regretted it one bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 10-22 f/3,5 - 4.5, November 9, 2006
This is a great lens for any user, professional or amateur. This lens offers incredibly wide focal lengths all while giving very impressive/clean results. A slight distortion is noticeable when shooting at 10mm (16mm cropped) but this is easily correctable with software. In addition, the very fast and absolutely silent USM is a huge plus. I highly recommend this lens to anyone wanting great landscapes or great in door/architecture shots (especially realtors).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought this a long time ago!, September 18, 2007
I received this lens a couple of weeks ago and I am very impressed. I'm using it on a Rebel XT and a 40D and it has filled the ultra wide angle/wide angle gap with my lenses. It adds a whole other dimension to my photography which I could never achieve with my 24-105L IS. And the minimum focusing depth (9.5") is great for those close up effects especially of my baby girl. If your on the fence about this lens don't be. Get it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Lens, January 11, 2011
I absolutely love this lens. I shoot a lot of landscapes, and you really can't beat this lens for that! I probably use this lens more than any other in my bag. I have it on the Canon 7D. I do notice some color fringe in a lot of photos, but I'm still trying to figure out if that is because of the lens, the camera, what I'm shooting, or me. Everyone loves the shots I take with it, though. I'll try to post some examples on here. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, maybe not a great investment..., January 30, 2007
Great quality, amazing pictures,a little overpriced considering the fact you can only use this lens with the low end canon models, so it will be great until you consider upgrading to a 5d or higher.If you are interested in this lens for the long haul try the 17-40mm, you will get similar results when you upgrade and don't have the magnification factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Wider Widest and Sharp. Great Glass, November 25, 2012
Mike90125 (New Jersey Shore, USA) - See all my reviews
Whats the difference between 18 MP and 180MP? Absolutely nothing if you have a cheap lens.

Photographers know: Get Good Glass. This is good glass.

This is the EF-S line, NOT for the full size sensor DSLRs like the 5D. If you have a 7D, 60D or any of the rebels, this is the lens you want when you want to capture large spaces. It is sharp, sharp at the edges, and really wide. I get great shots of the stars at night with this. F/3.5-4.5 isnt the fastest, and it doesnt have Image Stabilization, but if you dont own a tripod, you're not doing serious photography. A tripod is ESSENTIAL.

Great, not super expensive wide lens for small format Canon DSLRs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Ultra Wide Angle Lens and worth every penny!, October 8, 2011
I currently own this lens, which I purchased not too long ago and was able to take it with me on a trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park. I was blown away by the pictures I took with this little lens! I have a canon 40D and have a fair number of lenses in my bag, but of all of them, this one is my favorite. The pictures came out extremely clear and this lens captured all the fantastic detail with little to no distortion.

I would highly recommend this lens to anyone who's looking to do more landscape and even artistic macro shoots. I enjoy traveling and this lens really lets me capture my subjects in stunning detail. The only downside to this lens is that it only works on EFS mount cameras, so all you full frame photographers, this lens is NOT for you. Canon 5D Mark II etc.)

Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondering about this and the Tokina 11-16? Let me help., October 6, 2011
At this point you're probably thinking I love photography, but am I ready to spend ~$800 on a wide angle lens? That's a tough question! Maybe I can help you out with your decision. As a rule of thumb, I always recommend investing in good glass. Bodies are always changing- better sensors, ISO performance and increased functionality. Lenses, on the other hand, are more constant. They are arguably the most important factor with regards to hardware.

Cliffnotes: There are two main reasons I prefer the canon 10-22 over the Tokina 11-16.

1. More reach. I find the 10-22 is more versatile with the effective focal range of 16-35mm on a full frame body. The Tokina shoots more like a prime. It's effective focal range is 17.6mm - 25.6mm. This gives me more flexibility.

2. Creativity: At 10mm on the canon I can get a good bit of distortion. This makes for really fun shooting! I haven't found this to be the case on the 11mm end of the Tokina.

Backstory: I first bought the 10-22 used in 2007. I had read great reviews about it, and loved the images I saw taken with it. I didn't know if I really loved shooting wide angle shots, but I was determined to make that leap. I remember thinking this lens costs as much as my xti body did, and that was a pretty big pill to swallow at that time. To make a long story short, I ended up loving the lens. It really opened up my mind to creative shooting. Prior to buying it, I only had a 50mm 1.8 which was the equivalent of shooting 85mm consistently on a crop body. I feel that it's important to start off with a prime as it makes you understand composition. The 10-22 was my natural progression to a different focal range.

Sadly, I ended up selling the 10-22 when I decided to upgrade to the 5d2, as ef-s lenses don't work with full frame bodies. I was in a rush at the time and ended up losing a little when selling the 10-22, maybe $75 dollars. This doesn't usually happen, but I was in a crunch. I replaced the 10-22 with the 17-40L, my wide angle choice. Fast forward to today, I've owned the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for almost a year, using it on a 7d. I just haven't loved it. Sure, optically it's probably as good if not slightly ahead of the 10-22 from what I remember (it's been 3 years ). It has more glass, ~14oz (Canon) vs. ~20oz (Tokina) and also has a slightly better build quality. It's faster at F/2.8 vs. F/3.5-4.5 and has a consistent aperture which I do love. I haven't noticed a much difference with CA or Vignetting, neither seem to suffer much there or anywhere optically in my opinion.

Verdict: Recently I was remembering how much I loved the lens. I even contacted the person I sold my copy to. I found someone to trade locally- their 10-22 for my 11-16. I just don't use or love the Tokina enough to keep it around, and that's just my preference. I'm hoping by moving back to the lens I love, that I will be stimulated again. Based on my rough calculations, I'm spending about $200 on top of what I paid for the Tokina and selling the 10-22 years back at a slight loss. I miss it that much!

Hopefully this helps with your decision making and I can save you some time upfront.

5.0 out of 5 stars This lens is a must-have for your Digital Rebel, XT or 20D, August 12, 2005
R. Reece (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I recently bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and have really been enjoying it, but wheh I got this lens, the camera became a whole new experience!

All the reviews I read were so great, I knew I was going to love it, but actually using it has been an unexpectedly amazing experience. At 10mm, you see everything. I immediately took shots of various rooms in my house, my back yard-in-the-woods pond, trees, buildings... All I can say is buy this lens!

It's fast, quiet, amazingly versatile, and the image quality you'll get from it is superb! It's a shame to have a great Canon digital SLR camera and never have the opportunity to experience this lens.

‹ Previous | 15 6 735 | Next ›