Canon EF-S 18-135mm vs Canon EF 28-135mm I'm looking to buy another lens for my Canon t1i and am stuck on these two, I just want a lens that is going to take nice sharp pictures with extra zoom than the kit lens. Maybe something that i wont have to constantly have to change if i'm out on vacation with the fams.
asked by M.N. on November 4, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
vote
M.P. says:
I too am trying to decide as to whether I should buy the 18-135mm lens or the 28-135mm lens. I am making the leap from point and shoot cameras to my first digital SLR camera and want a lens that will be my only all-purpose lens. I am going to purchase the Canon T3i and would really appreciate some assistance in helping me to determine whether the 18-135mm or the 28-135mm lens would be the better lens for me.
Kappie answered on January 11, 2012

A
votes
I have had my Canon EOS Rebel for about two years and have been using the two len's that came with it which were both Tamron brand, 28-80mm and 75-300mm. My 28-80 just broke as it was plastic where it attaches to my camera instead of metal. I am not a pro but do take a lot of pics. I have not had luck with action shots as I have three boys and one girl who are in sports pretty much year round and I am looking for a lens that would help me out in getting non-blurry photos in low lights such as some of the gyms we are in. If anyone has recommendations for me that would be much appreciated as I need a new lens and can't seem to find the time to research online.
Mare answered on April 15, 2012

A
vote
I also struggled with this decision for my new Canon 7D. Ultimately, I went with the 28-135. It's a sharper lens and if you later upgrade to full frame camera (like the Mark 5D II), it will work with it. The 18-135 if an EF-S lens that will only work with crop cameras.

If you can spend a little more and don't plan to upgrade to a FF camera anytime soon, get the Canon 15-85mm. This is the perfect walkabout lens. It's also much sharper than the above two.
iMaverick answered on January 24, 2012

A
vote
Thank you for your input. I ended up in buying the 28-135mm lens and am very happy with it. After reading your comments regarding the 18-135mm vs the 18-135mm , I feel even more confident that I made the correct choice.
Kappie answered on February 15, 2012

A
votes
I have the 18-135mm and for a few dollars more I decided to step up to the EF-S 18-200. The EF-S are designed for the crop DSLR's, but the 28-135 will work on both. If you are deciding to stay with the Rebel series get the 18-200mm more zoom
Michael DiDomenico answered on February 19, 2013

A
votes
Go with the USM. Full Time Manual Focus is critical, especially in low light. You have to flick a switch to manually tune focus in the STM. I didn't realize this when I bought the STM lens. It takes good photos, when in focus, but I have had many embarrassing flubs asking friends or babies to sit still while the lens tries to focus for many seconds. Had I got the USM model, I could just get it close with autofocus and tune the focus just enough to take the shot, quickly, before the baby stopped being cute or before I embarrassed myself in front of friends and made the pic look posed instead of natural. As others pointed out, you can upgrade to a full-frame and still use the lens. Although, chances are, if you're going to drop 1800 or more on a camera body, you're probably the type who wants to spend more to get the L-series lens that comes with it.
Alli Baba answered on October 6, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›