Canon has a truly immense selection of telephoto lenses.

Published 10 months ago by Ruined

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
not as i espected can zoom in the birds
Published 1 month ago by wu chien liang

5.0 out of 5 stars The best telephoto zoom under a grand for APS-C Cameras (Canon Rebel, 60/70D, 7D, etc), October 9, 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Canon has a truly immense selection of telephoto lenses.

Under $1000, you have your pick of a number of variants and if you have an APS-C camera (Rebel, 60/70D, 7D, etc)this new EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 STM will give you the best combination of focal range and image quality. It is stunningly sharp throughout the range, incredibly quiet, quick focusing, and the front element is stationary during focus

What other options do you have that are IMO not as desirable?
70-200mm f/4L - Good optics, but lacks Image Stabilization which is key for long telephotos. Focal range starts off a bit too long for APS-C.
70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM - Good from 70-200, but is soft from 200-300mm and the front lens moves during focus. Also noisy as it MicroUSM. Focal range starts off a bit too long for APS-C.
75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - Overall a pretty terrible lens compared to any of the above, stay away from this one
55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - Relatively sharp, though not nearly as good as the new 55-250, has front focusing, and is much slower/noisier in focusing.

So overall under $1000 this lens is your best bet. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the mount is plastic instead of metal, though given the light weight of the lens I don't think that will be too much of an issue over time. Another negative is that the hood (ET-63) is sold separately for $25 and it is all plastic, does not even have felt lining like the inside of most Canon hoods. Overall though, this lens is your best bet under $1k if your camera is APS-C/EF-S mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!, September 22, 2013
Pictures are sharp all the way through focal range, and colors are true. Fast silent focusing. I would buy again and recommend to my friends. Using on a Canon 70d. The hawk photo was taken at 250mm, very over cast day, shutter speed 320, f8, and 1600 iso. The butterfly was taken at 250mm, shutter speed 400, f5.6, and 100 iso.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary Impression: Stellar Enthusiast Lens, January 7, 2014
Rachel Barr (Fort Davis, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Am living away from home for a time, and my 60D is not with me. However, I've coupled the 55-250 STM with EOS-M, and this lens simply rocks it. Not only are images steady, well saturated and natural in color, but the lens focuses just as quickly as the EOS-M 18-55mm lens. That's saying a lot. The EOS-M is a camera that struggles when it comes to autofocus speed, and this lens does better than a couple of other Canon EF-S lenses I've used on it with an adapter. It's light-weight, well-built for a lens in this class, and it focuses swiftly and accurately at all focal lengths.

It doesn't require much stopping down for sharper images, either, which is a real boon. Wiith a max aperture range of F4 to 5.6, it is a relatively slow lens. However, I've had a couple of fast (and very expensive) lenses that required stopping down to 5.6 or narrower to get a sharp image. So in my estimation, this one's not really that much slower than the fast competition.

A winner. Birds better be on their best behavior, 'cause I'm out there sneaking shots when they aren't looking.

Happy with my EF-S 55-250mm STM lens. I highly recommend it for the beginner and enthusiast photographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Quiet... Worth every penny and then some., November 5, 2013
Gilliauna Davis (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I recently dropped an old 70-300mm I'd been using for the past 12 years (ancient, off market, no IS, etc) and needed a replacement.

After reading a ton of reviews, I had narrowed my search down between this lens and the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. Unfortunately, my finances don't really allow me to drop $1300+ on a lens so I decided to order this one first and give it a try.

I'm very impressed! Surprisingly so for the price of this lens. The photos come out crisp and IS is a huge advantage for me, especially since I shoot the majority of my photos hand-held (as well as occasionally from moving vehicles).

It's remarkably quiet. As in... not just whisper quiet, but I haven't even heard a whisper. The focus AF is smooth.

I only have two complaints really.

1) I'm experiencing a bit of vignetting. I don't have any filters or hoods to create this effect, so it's definitely the lens. It can be a bit distracting in (and detract from the aesthetics of) certain shots.

2) The AF searches a bit sometimes before finding its focal point. Since I do a good deal of shooting from a moving vehicle, this can be a bit of an issue.

All in all, though, it is an excellent lens. I haven't had a chance yet to compare it to the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, but when or if I do, I'll be sure to update my review to include my thoughts on the contrast between the two and if I think the jump in price of nearly 1K feels like it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Canon Lens VALUE, December 6, 2013
The only way to out do this telephoto lens is to spend much much more for expensive heavy L-glass. I have lots of L-Glass but I use this with my E0S-M when I want a light rig that has reach. GREAT SHARP LENS. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great STM lens that rivals significantly more expensive ones., November 25, 2013
Simply amazing lens... especially for the price! I recently took this lens with my EOS 7D body to the 2013 Formula 1 US Grand Prix and scored some absolutely amazing photos that would easily rival lenses with another '0' at the end of the price. Even extended out to the full 250mm, I see absolutely no signs of blurring and the image remains exceptionally crisp.

The video I took with this STM lens is equally as impressive. The STM is the reason I purchased this lens and I couldn't be happier. Absolutely dead silent motor in this thing. Canon did an amazing job.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Plastic Fantastic Zoom!" Buy one!!, November 5, 2013
This version of the 55 250 joins the 50mm f1.8 "Plastic Fantastic" as the "Plastic Fantastic Zoom." IMHO this thing shoots way, way above its price and it's silent to boot. Just don't expect plastic to take the abuse a pro lens will tolerate. Be careful with it!! There are online reviews that support my fine experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide range, light weight., December 6, 2013
I am impressed by the quality and sharpness of the images from this light weight telephoto lens. Bought this to go along with the 18-135mm STM lens on my new T5i, gives me a decent overlap and a wide range with just the 2 lenses. The STM focusing is silent (noticeably quieter than the older 55-250mm IS II lens), and the light weight of this lens is noticeable, especially when carrying the "full backpack" of camera gear around all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS compression, color and clarity for the price, May 15, 2014
I sold this when I upgraded to a full sensor camera and I can only us EF lenses now. But, I miss this one the most. The clarity and compression are wonderful and all of my clients looked great in portraits at a distant rate. I heartily recommend this lens and for the price, you can't beat it. I now only have L series lenses but the pictures are so beautiful with this one, that if you can't afford L series. then get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Quite for Video, February 22, 2014
Arrived in time and well packed. I got it through Amazon deal with SL1 camera. Excellent bundle saving offered by Amazon ( Order quickly with Bundle savings of $150, offer till 01 March 2014 on Amazon). Lens is light weight (377g instead of 391g) with advantage of super quite STM motor which is especially helpful in video making.
The auto focus is quitter than previous version and also the front element do not rotate when zooming or focusing (helpful for using polarizing filters). This version also have manual focus override function (no need to change between AF and MF switch to do manual focus). Also close focus distance is decreased to 0.85m from 1.1m.
Would highly recommend to buy this version over the previous version (IS II version) because of weight, faster autofocus, quite STM technology, manual override function and sharper images(IMO).
Do not loose the opportunity to take advantage from Amazon bundle deal for this excellent lens, just order it and you will not regret IMO. Good value of money.

Rate and Discover Movies