4.0 out of 5 stars Best Book To Learn The Secrets of Canon 40D
Published on May 27, 2008 by Jacques49

3.0 out of 5 stars Too general
I bought this book and was impressed with the quality of the paper stock and photography. The author has a very clear and concise writing style, which makes her instructions easy to read and understand. The size of the book also makes it practical for stashing in my camera bag.

Published on May 22, 2008 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Book To Learn The Secrets of Canon 40D, May 27, 2008
Jacques49 (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
The Digital Field Guide by Charlotte Lowrie is the best book to learn how to shoot the Canon 40 D at the highest and most efficient levels. Four months ago I took a big leap and went from a Kodak point and shoot camera to a Canon 40 D with four very good (and expensive) lenses. I was initially very disappointed with my images compared to ones I had shot with my Kodak camera; they weren't very sharp and the colors seemed washed out. So what did I do: I bought three books on the 40D, a DVD guide to the 40D, and took an on-line course with a professional instructor on the 40D. I bought the Digital Field Guide last, half-way through my on-line course, and only then did I really learn the secrets of the 40D.

Here is what the Digital Field Guide revealed to me: 1. The importance of Picture Styles and how/why each owner of a 40 D should explore modifying the default style settings. 2. A detailed review of the 40 D's Custom Functions with suggestions from an experienced 40 D user. 3. How to set up Camera User Settings (C1, C2, and C3 on the Mode dial). 4. Some real practical insights to using the 40 D in the field and some further insights to the 40 D and Canon lenses by listing the lenses and settings for the photos contained in the book.

The key is setting modified Picture Styles and then taking advantage of Camera User Settings. Lowrie says her modified preference is Neutral Picture Style with revised settings. That approach did not work for me, as I do not shoot in RAW, but I now have found revised Portrait, Faithful( Macro shots) and Landscape Styles for my C1-3 settings.

If this book is so good, why do I give it only a four star rating? The format and layout is confusing. In this regard, the Canon EOS 40 D Guide by David Busch is much better. His book is much easier read, but it does not get into customized Picture styles in enough detail and failed to discuss Camera User Settings at all. If you are buying just one book on the 40 D get Lowrie's, but I am glad that I have both. By the way, until I read one of the reviews posted here I did not pick-up on religious references in the book, still do not find anything that bothers me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some highs and some lows, September 15, 2008
George Foxworth "geofox" (Fair Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Reading the other reviews of the guide gave me a little concern, in that several people took offense at the specifically Christian references in the text. I finally decided that I wouldn't be offended if the author had been specifically Jewish, Muslim, or Buddhist, so why get my panties in a bundle about Christian references. That's who she is.
And she is very technically savy about the EOS 40D. It's almost overkill in spots, more a technical manual than a field manual. I'm not an engineer or an IT specialist, so a lot of her material, frankly, went over my head. I was hoping for simple, down-to-earth, well-illustrated instructions on the many wonderful changes in the 40D compared to previous incarnations of the 10D series. I found her explanations too wordy and too poorly illustrated.
Which brings me to my main consideration and criticism. It would seem to me that someone as well versed in the operation of the camera would take the time to learn what makes a good photograph. The illustrations taken, one would suppose, from the author's own files, would not be so amateurish. There are lots of photographs of Christian Rock concerts, snap-shot portraits of folks around the church, and weddings. None are of a professional quality.
She is, however, a technical master and if your goal is complete technical mastery of the 40D, then this may be your book. Just go out and make your own photographs. I'll bet they'll be better than what's in the book

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, September 23, 2008
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I bought the Canon 40D book from reading these reviews where everyone said it was a good book and I was hoping that it was. They were right, this book has helped me so much. I have learned so many new things from this book that I would have never gotten on my own, and I'm pretty good with camera's. The author Charlotte Lowrie really explains in detail everything she talks about. I have never been very good with reading a help book and then understanding it but I learned so much from this book. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too general, May 22, 2008
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)

However, this book skimped too much on the features of the Canon EOS 40D and does not cover many of the advanced features in depth. I believe that the author could have made the book better by focusing more on the EOS 40D features and capabilities instead of devoting almost 2/3 of the book to general photography. As a result, I give this book 3 stars despite its strengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read three books on the 40D, July 23, 2008
Long story short: 1st choice Charlotte K Lowrie, 2nd choice David D Busch
and 3rd Rob Sheppard.
Now for long story. Having read Lowrie's books before I knew I could glean some good information from this book. This book is in color, a must. Lowrie's tables are easy to read and understand, the index has everything you can imagine in it.
I find myself going back to this book all the time. Example; 4th of July, index, fireworks photography, page 228-229, shutter speed 1-2 seconds, and I'm off to the party. I ordered Lowrie's book on the 5D just to read it, even though I'll probably won't buy the 5D camera. I have found mistakes in all of the books. Page 30, image 1.14, after reading the caption, I thought I bought the wrong lens and went to Canon's web site to see if there was 24-70 "IS", no, but I wish or on page 33, 25-105 f/2.8L IS USM. Wouldn't that be a great lens if it were real. There was one more about that 24-70 "IS" page 34. Any one of these authors could do a better job of writing an owners manual than Canon. For me Lowrie's book is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Charlotte, September 17, 2008
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I purchased Charlotte Lowrie's book on the XTi and found it invaluable, so it only made sense to purchase the 40D book when I upgraded cameras. I find myself referring to the 40D book regularly and always finding it easy to understand and helpful. A must for those wanting to learn how to create those custom settings on the Canon 40D.

Would I recommend Charlotte's books to my friends? I have and to anyone that will listen. I have also taken online photo classes with Charloitte Lowrie .... highly recommend Charlotte's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte Lowrie delivers...., May 7, 2008
jpmac55 (Averill Park, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This is my second 'how to' camera book by Charlotte Lowrie, the first covered the Canon XTi. Although I have learned a great deal about DSLR photography since then, her 40D field guide does a much better job than the user manual Canon provides. Perhaps some will suggest she repeats some basic photography lessons, I say, a refresher course never hurt anyone and besides, you can skip over what you don't want to read. In addition to step by step instructions, the guide is full of color illustrations and photograph's.

Charlotte's job is to provide a comprehensive users guide for the new 40D owner and for that, she delivers. As with most camera field guides, the writer usually/should assume readers are probably not professionals who need another lesson on depth of field. The target audience is someone who just invested a good chuck of change in a Canon 40D and values a sturdy field guide companion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great additon to the manual, January 10, 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This is a great addition to any 40D owners arsenal of information, the camera manual is written by technical minded people, this helps breakdown the actual functions of the camera and provides an explanation in layman's terms of how each function works and how to set and adjust each feature of the camera. The only thing that the author really could have done better is during the chapter In the field she could have gone more in depth on a picture style settings that may have complemented the other settings as a base for helping the photographer develop more understanding of how the picture styles will effect the scene the photographer is trying to shoot.
The people who took offense at the specifically Christian references in the text are possibly a little over sensitive. The author doesn't appear to be trying to convey anything about religion or religious beliefs she is explaining the techniques behind the photograph to show what was desired in the picture (e.g. The singers hands at the concert).

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, to understand a complex, FUN camera., September 15, 2008
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
The book is easy to read and broadened my understanding of the features and capabilities of the Canon 40D. The book sems to folow a logical path to the features, starting with the basics and then more complex. I keep the book in my camera case. I often cary both, in spare moments I either read additional or experiment with recent reading to build experience in new cocepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 27, 2009
Vanessa "Crystalsmommy" (American Canyon, Ca, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Originally I had bought the Field guide for the xti when I had it, so I bought this one when I got the 40D. I love how it expands on everything and gives so much information on each subject. A must read for anyone with a 40D!

Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide
Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie (Paperback - April 7, 2008)
$19.99 $16.26