5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Manual for the Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D
Published on February 7, 2011 by Philip Yeoh

2.0 out of 5 stars I disagree with most of the other reviewers
Published on January 7, 2012 by F. L. Daugherty

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Manual for the Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D, February 7, 2011
Philip Yeoh (Penang, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
First off, let me say that the Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D is a fantastic camera, but you'd be only skimming over its surface if you relied on the supplied instruction manual. Don't get me wrong, the manual is very well written (I couldn't even find a single typo) but it's enough to lull insomniacs into a deep slumber. Enter Julie Adair King's wonderful book. In 350 pages she covers practically everything you want to know about this camera. The book is printed on very good paper stock and is peppered with illustrations, many of them in color. Trust me, if you really want to exploit the Rebel T2i/550D read this book in conjunction with the supplied manual. It took me about two weeks to do this, but I was rewarded with better pictures and the thought that spending the money on this fabulous Dummies book was well worth it.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for your personal Library, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
This was my FIRST "for Dummies" book. I was surprised how well written it actually was. Years ago, I was very much into film (35mm) photogrphay and did a lot of work in Darkrooms. At age 52 I made the switch to Digital Photography! Let's face it, when you bought the T2i/550D, you bought a computer!
As I read this book, I could not wait to get to the later chapters, don't skip the early chapters, you will want to know everything about your camera!

Enjoy!

-Doug

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool....., July 18, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
"Dummies" gives the new user for the Canon T2i and edge that the product owners manual does not provide....
Easy to use and easy to reference

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for digital SRL beginners!, February 3, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
Ships fast. Definitely for people that have never used a SLR camera. Out of the 350 pages, I'm already on page 250 (in 5 days, really taking my time to make sure I understand everything before moving forward). Instead of going through the book with camera in hand, I first went through most of the chapters (until I finished chapter 5), and then went back to the beginning to setup the camera. Since I had never held a SLR before and have no concept of SLR photography, this exercise helped me a lot because the book explains everything to my level and the illustrations (photos) are all over the book. I recommend this book especially for beginners. When my husband bought the camera early December we got a free 2-hour class but they were booked all the way until February (our class in finally this Saturday). Not wanting to wait that long to use the camera, I bought the book and I feel comfortable with the camera now. I am very impressed.

2.0 out of 5 stars I disagree with most of the other reviewers, January 7, 2012
F. L. Daugherty "Leo" (Charlottesville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
I was disappointed in this "Dummies" book for use with the Canon T2i. I could go on an on as to why, but the main thing is that the book is more concerned with orienting you to ITSELF than to your camera. Endless remarks as to how to use it (the book), how to proceed with it, "see p. 264," etc. Also, there is no introductory material explaining how to simply take a shot on automatic. Also, it tends in the opening pages to tell you to do something without telling you how to find the thingy to do it with -- e.g. "cross keys," which are not so easy to find as one might think if you've never had a digital camera before. The provided manual is not so hot, either, but it is better for beginners than the "Dummies" book. That said, I'd still buy the "Dummies" book for reference, as there's stuff in it (if you use the index) that isn't in the provided manual. For example, you'll want to hook up your camera to a computer in order to download your photos, but the provided manual has nothing in its index about "computers," whereas the "Dummies" book is clearly indexed -- although its explanation for how to download is maddeningly cumbersome and wordy. So I recommend buying a cheap used version of "Dummies" as an adjunct to the provided manual. With both, a beginner on his or her own can inch slowly along. But neither really does the job for a literate beginner.

4.0 out of 5 stars DSLR for Dummies, July 11, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
Very nicely written book. Useful for most enthusiasts upgrading from digital compact cameras to DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for teaching us dummies!, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
I dropped out of the SLR hobby when the initial digital cameras came out. I packed up my trusty old EOS Rebel XS 35mm put it on a shelf and went with a digital so that I could get away from film. Having enjoyed the little point and shoot, I finally took the plunge and went for the T2i, what an awesome camera - but, how does it all work? The Canon provided manual is less than impressive, and wanting to learn, I researched various publications, the easiest to understand and use is the For Dummies book. Great step by step directions and explanations, even for an old guy like me, that's technologically challenged. Well worth getting, you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for starter, May 23, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a great book. It is full of information, but still a bit confusing. I may have needed the Canon for really dumb people. It shows you all the tricks, but it really does not give you a "take it out of the box and make it work" section.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 19, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a dummy. This helped a lot. I also suggest a DVD published by a photographer called Michael the Mavin. It is for REAL dummies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies (Paperback)
Kinda technical at times, but it's a teaching manual, so somewhat expected.

I have learned a lot about my camera that I would not have otherwise known though.

Highly recommended.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies
Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - June 8, 2010)
$29.99 $19.43