Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon ET67 Lens Hood for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Fixed Lens
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon December 13, 2007
In addition to shading the lens from glare and preventing lens flare in your photos, a lens hood can also help protect the front element of your lens without degrading image quality (like a cheap UV filter, for example). When using on board or hot shoe flash, it may end up shading your subject from the flash.

After seeing the lens hood that came with my 24-105L, and comparing it to the one on my Tamron, I decided to go ahead, sacrifice a few lunches out, and get Canon hoods for my two other lenses. Sure, they're overpriced, but the 3rd party ones are overpriced as well even at half this price on eBay, and at least I know this one fits well.

I removed one star for the price. Otherwise it's perfect.

Pros:

Fits very well.
Inside is lined with a velvety material that will not reflect light.
Can be reverse mounted on 100mm macro for storage.

Cons:

Price.
Velvety material traps dust and dirt.
Needs to be removed to replace / remove lens cap (not really an issue with the hood - just need to get into the habit of removing cap before putting hood on).
on September 28, 2006
Lets face it, it's a $35 piece of plastic. It fits the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. If you want a hood for this lens, this is the one you need. But at $35, it's WAY overpriced.
on June 15, 2009
The Canon ET67 Lens Hood has actually surpassed my expectations for quality and utility, so much so that I don't mind the price as much as I originally did.

In my view, it is a better way to protect the lens from dirt and damage than a skylight filter. It will protect the lens thread better than a skylight filter in most cases, if the camera is dropped. It affords very effective protection from dirt, smudging, and scratching. It doesn't need to be cleaned, as a filter does. And the improvement in exposure quality that results from shielding a lens from stray ambient light and reflection is underestimated.

If you don't need to use more than one filter on your EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM Lens and you take pictures outdoors, then the ET67 is an essential accessory.
on July 2, 2014
I don't like how much this lens hood cost, but I got so sick of fiddling around with the "generic" brand hood I had purchased that I decided to put out the money for the Canon hood. Wow! There is *definitely* a difference. The Canon hood is super easy to attach and detach. The "generic" hood I would have to try over and over again to get it secured on. The Canon slips on very easily. It's a night-and-day difference. I'd definitely recommend buying the Canon to anyone trying to decide between a "generic" hood and this Canon hood.
on September 3, 2015
Sometimes paying a little more for something is worth it. This is one of those cases. I purchased a Chinese knock off this hood a while back and figured it would be like so many after market items, a close if not an exact copy of the original. Well not the so for the Lens Hood. It was a good fit, but it was missing the all important coating on the interior of the hood that this Canon hood has. Canon coats the inside of their hoods using a process that's known as Flocking. Flocking produces a velvet like finish and it produces a perfect matte surface. The last thing you want on a lens hood or shade is light reflecting off the internal surfaces of the hood.
on November 30, 2009
First of all, I think if you spend this kind of money for the lens, it should some with a lens hood. I guess I'll never understand why Canon is so stingy in this regard.

The hood works as described, exterior plastic does scratch easily (like all Canon lens hoods) and, as another reviewer pointed out, you have to remove the lens cap before putting on the lens hood. Also, I wish there were a way to use the hood in conjunction with the MR-14EX ringlight flash, but it's one or the other.

When I first got the lens, I tried to do without the hood, but was losing some contrast and getting some interference from other light sources, the hood fixed that.
on March 2, 2015
As expected from Canon, the fit and finish on this OEM lens hood is excellent. I am never disappointed when I purchase original Canon products and this is yet another example. This makes me more inclined to continue to purchase original Canon products in the future.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2007
Yes, the lens hood is pretty expensive for what it is, you have to take in account a few things:

1) You'll take better pictures with it than without it, especially in a bright lightbox or sunny day. I've bought hoods for all my lenses now.

2) Its about the same price as a good-quality UV filter you would use on your lens to protect it while not degrading image quality (ie: not the $10 tiffen filter Amazon is hawking on this page). I personally use both the hood and a B&W UV filter.

3) The lens is almost $500 as it is. $40 isnt the end of the world, especially when you consider what the next step up for Canon macros costs.

4) The lens hood makes the lens look pretty impressive, adding 3-4" to the length. Yes, that's just my opinion, but felt I would share it. ;-)

Anyway, Genuine Canon products are usually pretty pricy, but given the poor-quality third party knockoffs I've tried (shutter release cables, etc) its worth it to just spend the extra money.
on June 12, 2013
Good lens hood. Perfect fit. It should have come with the new lens from Canon. The Amazon "guidelines" says I need 5 more words. I hope typing this has satisfied their requirement not to mention adding more garbage to the internet.
on January 16, 2007
This lens hood is a must if you are serious about macro photography with you 100mm f/2.8. I cannot praise the lens high enough, but that is no reason why Canon should rip us off, asking $40 for a piece of cheap plastic!! Why don't they follow Nikon's example and start shipping their lenses with hoods. After all, good and pricey lenses are for people who are serious about photography, and people who are serious about photography want to have hoods on their lenses!! So Canon, stop being greedy...

I give it a rating of 1/5 simply because the quality/price ratio is terrible.
77 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse