5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lens Hood
Published on January 12, 2011 by Vethod

3.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive!
Published on January 13, 2007 by David C. Kraus

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lens Hood, January 12, 2011
Vethod (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EW-73B Lens Hood For 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS EF-S and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lenses (Camera)
I bought this lens hood to go with my 18-135mm kit lens that came with my 60d. at the time of purchase it was less than $20 dollars. the generic brands are usually under $10 dollars but with my past experience with generic lens hoods i wanted to try a canon lens hood. it was basically half of the regular price so i decided to buy it. i liked this lens hood a lot because it fit nice on my lens hood and i didn't have to force anything. it was a perfect fit and slipped on easily. i also liked that when you are not using it you can flip it inwards some generic lens hoods do not have this feature so i believe that this alone was worth the extra price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, May 10, 2006
Pros:

- Reduces flare and ghosting when shooting in bright light.

- Helps protect your lens from dirt and scratches.

- Somewhat protects the lens in case of a fall. Better to break the hood than the front element.

- Makes you look more like you know what you are doing and helps to keep others from carelessly walking in front of you.

Cons:

- Will increase lens movement in windy situations, kind of like a sail on a boat.

- Takes up more room in your bag, even when reversed they still add to the diameter of the lens.

- People take more notice of you, will help to blow your cover if you are trying to keep a low profile.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Worths!, September 25, 2009
Well, It is just a piece of plastic, right? Not exactly! I bought the third party one from Precision Design which has nothing to do with precision. In fact, it does not fit well on the lens and never locks, I mean, it should lock on the lens when you turn it to the side. Canon charges a lot for its original hood and I definitely think that it should be supplied with the lens! Acting like this, Canon is just playing too much tight. However, I confess that the Canon original lens hood for the 17-85mm lens is of far highest quality than the one from Precision design that I bought. I regret to have bought this third party hood. The Canon one fits perfectly on the lens and has a nice velvet coat inside that I think is intended to protect the lens against scratches. My advice? Well, Pay more and get the one from Canon. It worths!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, August 29, 2007
A lot of people don't believe in lens hoods, as being expensive and unnecessary. Well, wait till you lose that 'great' shot, due to lens flare that you never saw, till you put it on the computer. Opportunity gone, photo gone. This hood has saved me many times - great investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS LENS HOOD SAVED MY NEW 17-85mm from damage, July 22, 2007
The first day of ownership of my XTI REBEL camera and the 17-85mm lens, my Springer Spaniel Puppy playfully jumped on me knocking my camera with new lens and hood out of my hands and onto the sidewalk. Fortunately the camera landed on the hood and rolled over not causing any damage to the camera or lens. Just scratched the hood. In my mind the lens hood saved my camera and lens from damage. As for it's intended use, I use it all the time in bright sunlight and have had excellent results. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars reversed, May 27, 2005
when the hood is reversed on the lens, it blocks the zoom ring tremendously when at 17mm's. it's not the end of the world, but you're probably better off storing this in a bag, and not on the lens itself when not in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been included with lens., January 9, 2007
This lens hood is (of course) just right for the lens, but it's a shame that Canon squeezes a little extra revenue by selling accessories that ought to be included with expensive products.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice hood, January 18, 2007
some may turn away at the price because you think oh its just a small piece of plastic. well this is pro grade lens hood. the cheapest price i found on any site was on amazon so if you bought it straight from canon expect to pay at least 10 bucks more. it does exactly what it is suppose to .. keep out the sun from my lens and if you ever drop it which no one should it ill protect the more expensive parts of your camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive!, January 13, 2007
Canon's pricing on this lens shade reminds me of inkjet printers: they practically give you the printer, then skin you alive with ink costs. Don't get me wrong, the "tulip" shade works fine (although it throws a shadow on imges when you use the pop-up flash), but it should cost a fraction of what they charge. I'd guess they cost less than two bucks to make, if that. It's nothing but formed plastic. I don't like giving Canon a bad review because, otherwise, they make world-class products. So I'd give this lens shade five stars for use, but one star for pricing, an overall 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Official Canon, No Felt Batting, January 27, 2012
This lens hood fits and appears to do it's job for the most part, but it is not made by Canon. In the picture it looks like a Canon model and does not have the word "for" before "Canon" but the item I received is definitely not made by Canon and does have "for" before "Canon" on it.

If you're looking for an official Canon hood (one with felt batting on the inside) to eliminate stray light when taking shots this isn't the one that you'd want. If you don't mind it having a slightly reflective interior that won't stop as much stray light, then this may be the right hood for you as it's not very expensive.

It works better than not having a hood at all, but not as good as the official Canon hood.

Rate and Discover Movies