Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 12, 2011
I bought this lens hood to go with my 18-135mm kit lens that came with my 60d. at the time of purchase it was less than $20 dollars. the generic brands are usually under $10 dollars but with my past experience with generic lens hoods i wanted to try a canon lens hood. it was basically half of the regular price so i decided to buy it. i liked this lens hood a lot because it fit nice on my lens hood and i didn't have to force anything. it was a perfect fit and slipped on easily. i also liked that when you are not using it you can flip it inwards some generic lens hoods do not have this feature so i believe that this alone was worth the extra price.
0Comment61 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2006
Pros:

- Reduces flare and ghosting when shooting in bright light.

- Helps protect your lens from dirt and scratches.

- Somewhat protects the lens in case of a fall. Better to break the hood than the front element.

- Makes you look more like you know what you are doing and helps to keep others from carelessly walking in front of you.

Cons:

- Will increase lens movement in windy situations, kind of like a sail on a boat.

- Takes up more room in your bag, even when reversed they still add to the diameter of the lens.

- People take more notice of you, will help to blow your cover if you are trying to keep a low profile.
22 comments129 of 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2009
Well, It is just a piece of plastic, right? Not exactly! I bought the third party one from Precision Design which has nothing to do with precision. In fact, it does not fit well on the lens and never locks, I mean, it should lock on the lens when you turn it to the side. Canon charges a lot for its original hood and I definitely think that it should be supplied with the lens! Acting like this, Canon is just playing too much tight. However, I confess that the Canon original lens hood for the 17-85mm lens is of far highest quality than the one from Precision design that I bought. I regret to have bought this third party hood. The Canon one fits perfectly on the lens and has a nice velvet coat inside that I think is intended to protect the lens against scratches. My advice? Well, Pay more and get the one from Canon. It worths!
0Comment45 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2013
You might think that you don't need this item because you don't see any obvious flare or glare in your photos, but you should absolutely have a lens hood for every lens you own. You will notice the difference immediately. It's shocking how much better your photos look when you use a lens hood.

For the same reason you can see better when you're standing out in the sun if you wear a hat with a brim--such as a baseball cap--a lens hood will allow your camera to see better. And it doesn't just shade the face of the lens from light from above, but from the sides and below as well.

Besides that, there are the traditional reasons for adding a lens hood: It makes you look like you know what you're doing, and it protects the lens from getting scratched or broken if you bump into something hard or drop the camera. The latter reason is an especially good one because this particular $20 piece of plastic protects my $500 lens--which otherwise should outlive me.

As for the price, like I wrote above this item costs $20 or less here on Amazon. On the Canon website they sell it for $40. Enough said about that.

There may be alternative lens hoods which are the right size for your lens, but if you're using a Canon lens I recommend getting the Canon lens hood. It fits right, it looks right.

And lastly I should note that with this lens hood facing out, attached to my Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM lens, mounted on my Canon T4i, it fits fine in my MegaGear holster bag. I do not need to turn the hood around to put the camera in the bag, zippered up, at the ready.
review image
on January 9, 2007
This lens hood is (of course) just right for the lens, but it's a shame that Canon squeezes a little extra revenue by selling accessories that ought to be included with expensive products.
11 comment16 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2007
A lot of people don't believe in lens hoods, as being expensive and unnecessary. Well, wait till you lose that 'great' shot, due to lens flare that you never saw, till you put it on the computer. Opportunity gone, photo gone. This hood has saved me many times - great investment!
0Comment19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2005
when the hood is reversed on the lens, it blocks the zoom ring tremendously when at 17mm's. it's not the end of the world, but you're probably better off storing this in a bag, and not on the lens itself when not in use.
0Comment47 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2007
The first day of ownership of my XTI REBEL camera and the 17-85mm lens, my Springer Spaniel Puppy playfully jumped on me knocking my camera with new lens and hood out of my hands and onto the sidewalk. Fortunately the camera landed on the hood and rolled over not causing any damage to the camera or lens. Just scratched the hood. In my mind the lens hood saved my camera and lens from damage. As for it's intended use, I use it all the time in bright sunlight and have had excellent results. Hope this helps.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2007
some may turn away at the price because you think oh its just a small piece of plastic. well this is pro grade lens hood. the cheapest price i found on any site was on amazon so if you bought it straight from canon expect to pay at least 10 bucks more. it does exactly what it is suppose to .. keep out the sun from my lens and if you ever drop it which no one should it ill protect the more expensive parts of your camera.
on January 13, 2007
Canon's pricing on this lens shade reminds me of inkjet printers: they practically give you the printer, then skin you alive with ink costs. Don't get me wrong, the "tulip" shade works fine (although it throws a shadow on imges when you use the pop-up flash), but it should cost a fraction of what they charge. I'd guess they cost less than two bucks to make, if that. It's nothing but formed plastic. I don't like giving Canon a bad review because, otherwise, they make world-class products. So I'd give this lens shade five stars for use, but one star for pricing, an overall 3.
1010 comments58 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse