Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 12, 2011
I bought this lens hood to go with my 18-135mm kit lens that came with my 60d. at the time of purchase it was less than $20 dollars. the generic brands are usually under $10 dollars but with my past experience with generic lens hoods i wanted to try a canon lens hood. it was basically half of the regular price so i decided to buy it. i liked this lens hood a lot because it fit nice on my lens hood and i didn't have to force anything. it was a perfect fit and slipped on easily. i also liked that when you are not using it you can flip it inwards some generic lens hoods do not have this feature so i believe that this alone was worth the extra price.
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2006
Pros:

- Reduces flare and ghosting when shooting in bright light.

- Helps protect your lens from dirt and scratches.

- Somewhat protects the lens in case of a fall. Better to break the hood than the front element.

- Makes you look more like you know what you are doing and helps to keep others from carelessly walking in front of you.

Cons:

- Will increase lens movement in windy situations, kind of like a sail on a boat.

- Takes up more room in your bag, even when reversed they still add to the diameter of the lens.

- People take more notice of you, will help to blow your cover if you are trying to keep a low profile.
22 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2013
You might think that you don't need this item because you don't see any obvious flare or glare in your photos, but you should absolutely have a lens hood for every lens you own. You will notice the difference immediately. It's shocking how much better your photos look when you use a lens hood.

For the same reason you can see better when you're standing out in the sun if you wear a hat with a brim--such as a baseball cap--a lens hood will allow your camera to see better. And it doesn't just shade the face of the lens from light from above, but from the sides and below as well.

Besides that, there are the traditional reasons for adding a lens hood: It makes you look like you know what you're doing, and it protects the lens from getting scratched or broken if you bump into something hard or drop the camera. The latter reason is an especially good one because this particular $20 piece of plastic protects my $500 lens--which otherwise should outlive me.

As for the price, like I wrote above this item costs $20 or less here on Amazon. On the Canon website they sell it for $40. Enough said about that.

There may be alternative lens hoods which are the right size for your lens, but if you're using a Canon lens I recommend getting the Canon lens hood. It fits right, it looks right.

And lastly I should note that with this lens hood facing out, attached to my Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM lens, mounted on my Canon T4i, it fits fine in my MegaGear holster bag. I do not need to turn the hood around to put the camera in the bag, zippered up, at the ready.
review image
on September 25, 2009
Well, It is just a piece of plastic, right? Not exactly! I bought the third party one from Precision Design which has nothing to do with precision. In fact, it does not fit well on the lens and never locks, I mean, it should lock on the lens when you turn it to the side. Canon charges a lot for its original hood and I definitely think that it should be supplied with the lens! Acting like this, Canon is just playing too much tight. However, I confess that the Canon original lens hood for the 17-85mm lens is of far highest quality than the one from Precision design that I bought. I regret to have bought this third party hood. The Canon one fits perfectly on the lens and has a nice velvet coat inside that I think is intended to protect the lens against scratches. My advice? Well, Pay more and get the one from Canon. It worths!
on November 13, 2013
After going through several different hoods I came back to Canon for a proper hood.

Pros:
- rigid bayonet type mount
- reversible for putting camera in bag/case
- not visible within any zoom of the 18-135 lens
- lightweight and effective

Cons:
- expensive, for a piece of plastic/felt
- casts shadows from built-in flash of 60D at certain zooms
on January 9, 2007
This lens hood is (of course) just right for the lens, but it's a shame that Canon squeezes a little extra revenue by selling accessories that ought to be included with expensive products.
on November 10, 2013
This lens hood fits perfectly on the Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM. I would definitely recommend someone buying a Canon lens hood instead of another brand. They are worth the extra money. The cheaper hoods are flimsy and do not fit properly.
on January 26, 2015
Works perfect for the new STM lens. I received the normal Canon one that some claim wasn't a Canon product. The inner portion is felt though where all my others have been solid plastic. The felt probably pulls particles away from the lens better, but you can't wipe it out like I could the solid plastic ones. Not sure if it is better to have the felt inside or not yet.
on June 7, 2014
Just a quick heads up for those
that have the canon 70-300 L lens, The original hood
that came with it is Massive! so I looked around to search
for a smaller, more low profile lens hood and saw this.
I took a chance (this was made for 67mm lens) and ordered this.
This hood fits like a glove! A lot smaller than the orig hood that came
with the L lens. Hope this helps someone looking for a smaller hood
for their 70-300 L lens :)
review image review image review image
on August 29, 2007
A lot of people don't believe in lens hoods, as being expensive and unnecessary. Well, wait till you lose that 'great' shot, due to lens flare that you never saw, till you put it on the computer. Opportunity gone, photo gone. This hood has saved me many times - great investment!