Canon G11 or Lumix DMC-LX3 Am in the market for a small camera, amature, like the wide angle aspects of LX3, would also like a view finder and quick re-cycle time/button-push to actual shot time. Would like some insight into how you guys think these two cameras compare, please.
asked by D. Nacci on August 21, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
The new G11 is an improvement over the G10. But I don't think it's on the same level as the LX3, mainly because of the lens.

I think the upcoming Canon S90 is a direct competitor to the LX3. It has a small and compact form factor like the LX3. And it has a fast f/2 lens like the LX3. However, it doesn't have a hot shoe. And it doesn't shoot HD video. And no viewfinder either.

I've had the LX3 since the beginning of the year. And I plan on selling it after the S90 comes out. The LX3 shoots fantastic low light pictures. But daylight pictures are average. I think Canon has the better image processor overall. Also, the auto focus on the LX3 seems slow to me. My other gripe is that menu system isn't intuitive on the LX3. Canon cameras are extremely easy to use and changing the settings is a breeze.

I love the exposure and ISO dials on the G10 and G11. It's a much better/easier camera to operate. But the size is a little too big for me, as a daily carry-around camera. And it still has a somewhat slower lens. I just think it's odd that Canon gave the S90 a fast lens, but not the G11. Maybe they'll get it right on the G12?
! answered on August 22, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Digital means that there will always be better within a couple months of when you bought whatever. Be happy with what you have and make it work for you. Otherwise you are a slave to marketing and gadgetry. (Ref. megapixels) Also, remember that these companies used to make the best they could and that was it. (You don't see Hasselblad offering a new digital back every other month.) Today they are in the business of obsolescence.
George Hilbish answered on December 23, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I purchased LX-3 back in March 2009 and paid less than current price. I was sold on abundant glorious reviews. I take lots of macro shots with manual control. I was expecting superior performance to my old Canon G6. To my surprise, Canon G6's image was superior to LX3. I sold LX3 on eBay with BIN and my loss was minimal because I sold LX3 when all online dealers didn't have the LX3 in stock.
I am eagerly waiting for G11, sure it is bigger than LX3, but G series cameras feel solid and secure. Also LX3's annoying lens cab is a shortcoming.
Peter Yoon answered on September 2, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've heard there may be a new LX3 (LX4) coming in 2010. Something to consider.

My wish list would be to retain fast lens, with maybe a bit more zoom if possible. Add AVCHD video w/ dedicated video button. Make it as flat as possible to fit in pocket better. Improve menu.
Eric T answered on September 8, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks, very insightful reply.

dn
D. Nacci answered on August 24, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›